• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Ferrio

Banned
I have yet to come across a party online that knows how to fire the damn cannons. Seems like I'm the only one loading and lighting the damn things.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
In my experience human players are far inferior in loading them compared to the AI (rightfully so with the precision it takes on the small screen). The only times online when the boat survives for me is when the party is straight up strong enough to sever the tentacles with regular skills/attacks.

Ultimadrago

In my experience human players are far inferior in loading them compared to the AI (rightfully so with the precision it takes on the small screen). The only times online when the boat survives for me is when the party is straight up strong enough to sever the tentacles with regular skills/attacks.

As a human being, I can confirm that I am horrible at that part.

So I managed to finish normal mode and unlocked hard mode. I went on to the lowest level (the harpy one) of hard mode at level 35. Met with first bunch of mooks, a couple of goblins...nothing fancy. Then one of these small slimy goblin proceeds to hack at me for a full combo damage of 400!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

I'm left with 25 hp!! At least I managed to clear the harpy....and used about 3 life points in total for that stage.....Geeeezz.

Edit: playing as Sorc

Usobuko

Banned
So I managed to finish normal mode and unlocked hard mode. I went on to the lowest level (the harpy one) of hard mode at level 35. Met with first bunch of mooks, a couple of goblins...nothing fancy. Then one of these small slimy goblin proceeds to hack at me for a full combo damage of 400!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

I'm left with 25 hp!! At least I managed to clear the harpy....and used about 3 life points in total for that stage.....Geeeezz.

I would suggest do the Labyrinth of Chaos first, completing up to floor 3-3 can easily power level you to mid 40s. You get some nice rewards too. By then, everything in hard mode is a cake walk, even the B route.

Sanctuary

You'd also think that all those additional classes would appreciate the protection on hand, and it seems like the Fighter can also dish out some pretty solid damage quickly. Fighter is my main and I've been digging it so far.

I always use 2-3 Fighter hirelings when offline if I have them to spare. I'd kill for a decent Fighter player in general though as a Wizard. It would actually allow me to cast shit spells like Meteor. In it's current form, it's mostly worthless without a Fighter.

Yep, he's the statue I need in my life.

Glad I'm not alone. In general, I've found most of the character design work astounding.

So, is there an item that let's you run melee only or do you have to simply drop your weapon at the beginning of every screen? I really, really love the amazon's hand to hand combat so, yeah, just wondering. :D

maomaoIYP

Black goblins are a nightmare.
This is where sorceress' curse spell really shines.

I always use 2-3 Fighter hirelings when offline if I have them to spare. I'd kill for a decent Fighter player in general though as a Wizard. It would actually allow me to cast shit spells like Meteor. In it's current form, it's mostly worthless without a Fighter.
Its good to be appreciated.

Played a few runs online tonight just to test the waters, and didn't see any other warriors out there. As expected most players just bum-rushed from room to room, and I had to hold people up as best I could just to get some players to open chests (wtf?), much less get time to cast a helpful rune.

The funniest/sad thing though, was nobody would let me use my shield of protection/damage buff. As soon as I would tank up near a caster they'd avoid me like I was a pool of lava. I'm trying to help, people!

Its like bizarro world online at times. It was also fun in a very casual way so I'm sure I'll give it some more tries. And hell, its worth it for player-created bones at the very least. Makes the AIs more interesting and more capable.

Sanctuary

So has anyone actually figured out what the stats really do? I know what the in game descriptions say, but people have been speculating all over the place what they actually do.

Like DEX; some say it averages out the damage, making the min/max closer on weapons with a large range. Some say it increases the chance of you to ignore an enemy's armor, and some are just saying it's just a flat out damage increase (that's not reflected on equipped weapons).

INT seems to just be the multiplier used with a listed spell's power, but aside from that it seems almost like a filler stat compared to just +% element or raw +% damage. Both of the latter stats seem to add much more damage overall compared to +12 - +20 INT.

Raxus

What is a good way to power level at 84? I completed all the dungeons and have no need for loot that is just going to be tossed out.

Why are level 99 dudes a bajillon bucks?

Sometimes those items can be difficult to pick up. There's been a few occasions where I get the prompt to press Triangle to pick up the item, but I'm a few pixels too far in the fore/background to do so. And there's also the case where there's some delay, so when I don't see myself getting the item I press Triangle again, which causes me to drop the item immediately after I pick it up...

Tokubetsu

THE IMMORTAL DRAGON SLUMBERS ONCE AGAIN

Red Dragon fight is still way harder than the ancient dragon fight.

Any release date for the score?

Having lots of trouble with the Wraith as a Dwarf
Make sure you have the basics down first. The first room you encounter him you have to beat the door down to the right and escape. I was able to damage Wraith in the first room, but I'm not sure how, because he's only weak when the angelic statues are "lit up".

After you beat down the door and get out, right away, pick up the torch and walk next to the angelic statue to light it up. Then, the Wraith is vulnerable to just about anything but ice.

Use your Grand Smash on him right away, and try to go nuts with Magma infusion and frenzy fists until you can pick up the hammer again. You can also do the 2xSmash trick by equipping 2 hammers before you leave town, assign them to the shortcuts, and go Smash > backup hammer > smash > fire fists combos. You should be able to kill it by the 2nd or 3rd statue.

Wanny

I never thought once that the best game I would be playing so far this year is a 2D oldschool game. This game is so good. Far more exciting than anything else on Vita right now, including Soul Sacrifice.

I never thought once that the best game I would be playing so far this year is a 2D oldschool game. This game is so good. Far more exciting than anything else on Vita right now, including Soul Sacrifice.

I've been looking forward to this game since it was first announced and its exceeded expectations.

Wonderful 101 demo puts that potentially into personal goty status for me as well

I figured i'd like them both but for me to have enjoyed them as much as I have is a surprise

Fistwell

Tips for the final boss as an elf (on normal)? Tried a few times, only brought him down to about 1/5 of his health. AI partners wipe fairly quick, yet they still do reasonable damage before dying. Not sure if it's worth it going at it alone.

JP

It's a real shame this isn;y CrossBuy as I'm just not sure if I'd pay full price for it. I've just started playing through the downloadable version Odin Sphere on the PS3 again and I'm loving it so may be tempted to pay full price for this.

Bombless

Hey guys, I downloaded all of those unlockable artworks and put them into a Flickr gallery (spoilers obv) so they'll be available if they disappear from that other website.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15690672@N04/sets/72157635043606919/

I'm going to work on titling them and mentioning which quest they're associated with as I have time and discover them.

Additionally, I made a zip file if you want to download them all in one go.

http://www.radiantcg.com/neogaf/DragonsCrownUnlockableArt.zip

Thanks man, that's just awesome. The art in this game....SO GOOD!

Tayaya

It's a real shame this isn;y CrossBuy as I'm just not sure if I'd pay full price for it. I've just started playing through the downloadable version Odin Sphere on the PS3 again and I'm loving it so may be tempted to pay full price for this.

I did some consulting work for a couple of hours for a family friend so I was able to get both the PS3 and the Vita versions. While the $90 is pretty steep, I would absolutely say it's worth it. I play on the Vita when I'm on break at work, when I'm just relaxing in my chair and not feeling up for migrating to the game room, or when I just have to make one more run before bed. Then I just upload the save, and it's right there to download when I do fire up the PS3.

I enjoy playing the game more on the PS3 - it's more fluid, easier to see, and the visuals seem even more detailed on the larger screen. However, I've clocked most of my hours on the vita because it's just so darn convenient.

If you have to get just one, get the Vita version, but honestly there's enough gameplay here for me to not feel bad about double dipping, and you're supporting Atlus and Vanillaware, which is always a good thing!

Weird experience.

I usually don't resurrect casters because their spells are disorienting, but due to the res 30 quest I got a few. One was a Wizard with an ice staff, and he kept doing a move that I have never seen before.

Basically, he would spam ice bolts (o tap), but sometimes two ice bolts would start to circle him like a shield while propelling outward. Any ideas on a missed input for staves to explain that?

maomaoIYP

Weird experience.

I usually don't resurrect casters because their spells are disorienting, but due to the res 30 quest I got a few. One was a Wizard with an ice staff, and he kept doing a move that I have never seen before.

Basically, he would spam ice bolts (o tap), but sometimes two ice bolts would start to circle him like a shield while propelling outward. Any ideas on a missed input for staves to explain that?

This is what the Elf does with ice elemental lore.

Ill Saint

Man, some of the people online need to chill out. Had an Amazon in the party just rush through each area like they were playing Sonic the Hedgehog. What's the point of that?

Love the game, though. Most genuine fun I've had in ages with the PS3.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not doable solo?! Holy crap!

I'm sure it's doable, I would just need to find a lot more +Damage to Demoic equipment than I currently have as a Wizard. It's the same problem I had with Ancient Dragon - Even with the slow damage dealing, I'm fine with attack avoidance. It's just when a ton of extra enemies start coming out, I find it hard to deal with both them and the boss.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
PSY・S;76151587 said:
If I pick up equipment that the Elf can't use can I keep it for other characters that I make, or can I only sell it?

Inventory is shared, you can use it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Man, some of the people online need to chill out. Had an Amazon in the party just rush through each area like they were playing Sonic the Hedgehog. What's the point of that?

Love the game, though. Most genuine fun I've had in ages with the PS3.

Once you start doing "runs" for better gear/leveling, you start realizing that you only get good, high ranking stuff after the bonuses have stacked for a bit. So, after completing six dungeons or so, most of the stuff dropping is high rank.

Still, I would reserve something like that for playing with people I know.

Sanctuary

Weird experience.

Fairly certain that's a magical retribution (or just Ice) mod on his gear. Happens all of the time with any of the classes.

He's one of easier characters for solo play.

I must be doing it wrong then, because on Infernal, it's definitely not. Chain stunned, bounced around, never have a chance to actually regain mana and cast again before dying on the Red Dragon = fun times and multiple lives. Teleport is practically useless on that fight to avoid damage, and the dragon's body occupies at least two planes at a time and can hit you from them, yet is only hittable from one of them. Talking about the LoC version too where you are forced to fight it in the room the entire time, so there's no running through the hallway at some point for breathing room.

Then again, I don't have Storm, and I'm thinking it's probably the only viable attack skill for that fight.

Old Capital Talisman boss question:
for the Red Dragon, when he's chasing you and you have to hold up the big shield to protect yourself from his fire breath, how exactly do you do that? I know to grab the shield with triangle but do you actually have to hold it up, or are you safe by just having it in your hands? I was holding square but nothing happened

anddo0

As someone who does 99% of their gaming solo, is there much content I'll be locked out of/can't realistically beat solo?

I literally just beat the game solo.

You won't be locked out of anything. It may take you longer to reach lvl 99. But that's the only downside to playing the game solo. I did it as an Elf, which was supposed to be a difficult character.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
for the Red Dragon, when he's chasing you and you have to hold up the big shield to protect yourself from his fire breath, how exactly do you do that? I know to grab the shield with triangle but do you actually have to hold it up, or are you safe by just having it in your hands? I was holding square but nothing happened
Just pick up the shield and face the dragon when he does the screen-wide breath attack.

Iskander

Neo Member
Had my first real chain run last night online - got in a good groove with my Sorceress, a Wizard, another Sorceress, and a Fighter. We seemed to all be fairly low level (18-25) so it was a good match, but everyone knew how to do stuff, so we cleaned up!

I can't believe how fun the game is. Vanillaware's best by far. Might be my GOTY.

Regarding equipment: is it better to have high raw damage numbers on a weapon, or bonuses? For example, a weapon with 20-40 damage, vs 15-35 but with +6% damage etc.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Just hold it and face him and you're fine.

Sanctuary

Regarding equipment: is it better to have high raw damage numbers on a weapon, or bonuses? For example, a weapon with 20-40 damage, vs 15-35 but with +6% damage etc.

Usually the raw numbers are better. It really depends on your class and whatever hidden multiplier the game uses for certain skills. The easiest way to test gear is to beat on Rannie. Just try not to use +%damage to humanoids when comparing things.

maomaoIYP

I just steamrolled the infernal last boss on my first try and got The Destroyer trophy. Amazon I <3 you so much. I was only level 89 too.
Also, (infernal ending spoiler)
I like how the goddesses progressively get more naked.

depths20XX

Was fucking around in town practicing combos and dive kicking everywhere. Got sent to jail for hitting that guy carrying the pack too much. Pretty funny, didn't realize that could happen.

On the subject of the giant shield "subweapon," I'm rather disappointed with the fact that the Fighter can't omni-directional block with it considering he winds up dual wielding shields.

Top Bottom