• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Ultimadrago

Thanks guys for the replies.

So are there any advantages for going solo besides making the game more challenging? Like do I get more xp going solo compared to a full party?

Not necessarily. I don't believe you get more experience simply for being solo. Though there are some latter side quests that require for you to be solo along with the freedom of going at your own pace through dungeons (assuming the alternative is online human players).

Usobuko

Banned
Will randoms still be able to join me if I turn off the join in feature, or does that just apply to my NPCs?

When you go into stable, you can press 'start' to decide if you want to 'begin online' or 'end online' if you're already connected. That will determine if other players can join you and if you'll join another party. The join option at tavern is meant for NPC only.

Giolon

Will randoms still be able to join me if I turn off the join in feature, or does that just apply to my NPCs?

Nope, it applies to all joining.

Also, I just discovered that this game has a PvP arena! Unfortunately nobody's using it online :( But damn, that was the one thing I was sitting around wishing it had as my friends and I were beating the shit out of each other in town.

And I love the Labyrinth of Chaos. Is it just random enemies in a random location? That could be the perfect thing I need for this game.

Usobuko

Banned
Thanks guys for the replies.

So are there any advantages for going solo besides making the game more challenging? Like do I get more xp going solo compared to a full party?

The best way to gain more xp is to have multiple bags of decent equipments and run dungeon repeatedly with a party. Of course you can do it solo but from my experience, a competent party is way faster to power level.

anddo0

I know why you can store a bunch of AI partners now. They just fucking die in hard+. -_-

They're useless on anything higher than normal. I'm finding that out the hard way.

I hate to say it, but hard mode isn't fun. I can't even depend on the AI to be cannon fodder anymore. I really don't want to hop online.

Giolon

They're useless on anything higher than normal. I'm finding that out the hard way.

I hate to say it, but hard mode isn't fun. I can't even depend on the AI to be cannon fodder anymore. I really don't want to hop online.

I'm actually having fun w/ Hard Mode. I felt overpowered by the end of Normal, and running the A paths of Hard have been a refreshing change of pace. My AI companions are still hanging in there half-way decently as long as I make sure they're at least equal to the level of the area I go to.

RedSwirl

Custom Cover

Download links: PS3/Vita

dcsurru.png

ToyBroker

Banned
Goin back to Dwarf.

I really miss bodyslamming smaller critters.

While I fucking love the Amazon, I really really dislike how her attacks don't mildly stun/knockback mobs. It really makes unbeserked Amazon quite poopy. Also makes skeles pretty god damn hard.

I made it to half-way through hard with her...so at least I can go back if I wanna feel that OPness again.

Goin back to Dwarf.

I really miss bodyslamming smaller critters.

While I fucking love the Amazon, I really really dislike how her attacks don't mildly stun/knockback mobs. It really makes unbeserked Amazon quite poopy. Also makes skeles pretty god damn hard.

I made it to half-way through hard with her...so at least I can go back if I wanna feel that OPness again.
Once you go Dwarf, you don't go back. Welcome to the club. I tried to have fun on my alt Sorc, but it hasn't captured me yet.

Ska-DOOSH for life.

ToyBroker

Banned
Once you go Dwarf, you don't go back. Welcome to the club. I tried to have fun on my alt Sorc, but it hasn't captured me yet.

Ska-DOOSH for life.

Funny thing is is that I started on Dwarf. Got him to like 25 or so? Then swapped over to Amazon since everyone was saying she was OP once you start gaining levels :X. Then I realized I really don't care if I'm OP or not since it's not like anyone can really tell like in Path of Exile or Diablo 3 or anything..so now it's back to Dwarfy man.

maomaoIYP

So I'm about 6 hrs in with ma amazon and while I like the game quite a bit, I feel like it's more on the button mashy side than the strategic side.

Am I doing something wrong guys??

The game feels incredibly easy especially when I have a full party. I just let them do most of the work lol.

On normal the game is still pretty easy solo as long as you know what you're doing. You'll definitely want to play without a party if you want to learn your character properly.

No Love

Banned
Funny thing is is that I started on Dwarf. Got him to like 25 or so? Then swapped over to Amazon since everyone was saying she was OP once you start gaining levels :X. Then I realized I really don't care if I'm OP or not since it's not like anyone can really tell like in Path of Exile or Diablo 3 or anything..so now it's back to Dwarfy man.

Secret is... Dwarf is ridiculously powerful. Super strong, hits tons of enemies at once, resists damage really well, Grand Smash can be chained in quick succession... really enjoying my time as a dwarf. Character feels appropriately badass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Muramasa or this? Which is better?
Muramasa has a story and fewer RPG mechanics but is arguably a more "technical" game, while Dragon's Crown is basically a 2d loot grinding ARPG. It sort of depends what you are looking for in that respect.

Bombless

Dwarf and Wiz are the only classes I haven't played yet. I plan to remedy to this when I get off work.

On the others, so far Amazon/Sorceress are my favs.

Giolon

This has me absolutely hooked in a way that Muramasa did not. It's really the loot system. The depth of the combat system here seems better too. Muramasa turned into sort of a mash-fest DPS combined w/ abuse of the special arts' i-frames. The best defense is a good offense in Muramasa - there's no point in blocking 90% of the attacks b/c they'll just break through your sword so you just kill shit faster.

Dragon's Crown has, depending on the character, blocking, parries, evasions, throws, wall combos, air combos, usable attack items, multiple gear sets, 5 characters that play completely differently...and then post-game random levels and a PvP arena - it's kind of crazy how much Vanillaware put into this.

Don't get me wrong - I really, really dig Muramasa - but I think this has the best gameplay of a Vanillaware game by far (Disclaimer: I have not played Grim Grimoire or Grand Knights' History). If you want story though, it's hard to beat Odin Sphere.

what level are you? I have a feeling things turn around once you get to like 50+, I'm 40 right now.

I didn't like Muramasa. Characters were way too weighless and zippy since jump was mapped to up on the analog stick. I felt like I couldn't really control my character because of that. I know why they did it I just would have preferred jump to be a face button. Played on Wii, not sure if that changed for Vita.

Sanctuary

Not sure what class you are, but Fighters don't have too much trouble staying alive on Hard. For me, they don't start dying until Infernal LoC. I took three on the Ancient Dragon (Hard), and they went nuts, and ginsued him to bits.

Velcro Fly

Did a few more side quests. Also downed two more bosses
the gargoyle door and the wraith
. Level 31 now and just knocking out side quests at a steady pace. Nearly 13.5 hours in. I think I've completed 15 total side quests. Definitely feel like to hit 35, beat the game, and do all side quests I can before hard it might take me another 5-6 hours or so. I can't help but stay out and chain dungeons when my gold bonus is at 100% or more. Can never have too much gold!

Sanctuary

What are the best allies to recruit? I've noticed that AI Amazons are crap...

Yes, Amazon's are literally lemmings that suicide at every opportunity. Depending on your class, it's a toss up between Elf and Fighter, followed by a Wizard, followed by the Sorceress, then the Dwarf pretty far behind, and the Amazon even farther. Fighters do very respectable damage and they last a very long time. They also don't toss shit all over the screen, actually being more of a detriment to killing speed than a help (*cough cough* AI Dwarf).

Fighters are also the rarest for some reason, hmmm...

Grisby

Hit level cap. One more relic to get and a few more quests to complete before I finish normal mode.

Damn fun game y'all.

Want to try a Sorc next.

So my elf is lvl 28 and still needs 5 talisman but I'm too low level to kill those bosses. Am I supposed to just grind lvls and chests until I'm 35 and bettered geared to get those 5?

Why does this game get slowdown on the PS3? Is the hardware being pushed here?

I just fought the
cyclops boss
and it was almost a slideshow at times.

Raxus

Why does this game get slowdown on the PS3? Is the hardware being pushed here?

I just fought the
cyclops boss
and it was almost a slideshow at times.

Typically whenever a big spell is cost Especially during a busy fight like that it does show the limits on what the PS3 can do. That being said I spam tons of crazy effects on my arrows and it still runs smoothly most of the time.
So my elf is lvl 28 and still needs 5 talisman but I'm too low level to kill those bosses. Am I supposed to just grind lvls and chests until I'm 35 and bettered geared to get those 5?
Like Dresden said. As long as you leveled Elf correctly and have some strong allies you should be able to take down the final boss.

What weapon are you using. Did you put any points in clone strikes yet?

So one way of getting the 7th talisman on hard is
staying in the coin room with the red dragon and luring it into the corner (bottom right corner in my case) and jumping when it goes for a stop and slice & dice away at it when the opportunity presents itself. Dodge from the bottom to the top when fire breath occurs. Repeat until you've defeated him.
This was myself, a fighter, and one AI sorceress along side me.

Abylim

Loviing this game, but I just lost like an hour and a half of progress =\

Chained about 8 or 9 dungeons, and yes I was online. Got stuck on a black screen, could hear my character making noise when I jumped around, so i figured maybe hitting start, going down to quit adventure might have done just that, but then there was no more noise. I left it for a good 10 minutes, hoping that maybe it would just take a bit but eventually load.

Nope.

So, I'm done for a little bit, but is this a problem if I stay offline? I have seen a few say its online only, but was wondering if anyone on GAF had hit that bug offline. If so, I'll wait for the JP patch and hope it fixes this. If not then I'll get back in. Only on hard, level 55. but the kicker is, that run got me nearly all the talismans I needed to kill the end boss.

Siiigh.

Typically whenever a big spell is cost Especially during a busy fight like that it does show the limits on what the PS3 can do.
That honestly sounds crazy. I would never have imagined that 2D sprites limited to a single screen could require enough resources to slow down a machine like a PS3 when it's capable of games like Motorstorm Apocalypse and Killzone 3 and others without those issues.

Ultimadrago

So, I'm done for a little bit, but is this a problem if I stay offline? I have seen a few say its online only, but was wondering if anyone on GAF had hit that bug offline. If so, I'll wait for the JP patch and hope it fixes this. If not then I'll get back in. Only on hard, level 55. but the kicker is, that run got me nearly all the talismans I needed to kill the end boss.

Siiigh.

I haven't run into it before and I've never heard of it happening offline, but I hate to hear that you ran into the black screen glitch. It's sadly not the first time I've heard of it.

Abylim

I haven't run into it before and I've never heard of it happening offline, but I hate to hear that you ran into the black screen glitch. It's sadly not the first time I've heard of it.

I also had the auto save bug in last of us too. Cant catch a break!

I am in love with this, I just dont want to run into it again =\

ToyBroker

Banned
So I'm assuming we can pretty much guarantee a sequel on PS4? Something even bigger with even more stages and more classes. Maybe all new characters...be nice.

Ultimadrago

Random enemy thought: I love the Warlock boss' English voice. It's so exaggerated Southern that it makes me laugh everytime.

"FIYUR BOWL!" (Fireball)

Also big ol' Owlbears are adorable as heck. Especially when you throw them and they are getting up on their backs.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Also big ol' Owlbears are adorable as heck. Especially when you throw them and they are getting up on their backs.
They are easy to capsize but if you leave one alone and you get caught in its super armor bear swings it's annoying as heck since you can't get out :mad:

Gotta say, first time I've ever see a flying creature take falling damage.
As a dwarf, throw a flying bat eye off the flying carpet.

And, first time I've ever seen a swimming monster drown.
As a dwarf, throw the Merman/Troglodyte off the boat.

Also, the dumbest thing I've ever seen is now:
flopping fish that sink a boat. $@&@#$!

Top Bottom