• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Kamina

Golden Boy
Is there a way to keep a selected NPC in your party?
I hate that I have the reselect them after every adventure...

kubricks

Am I doing something wrong? My rapid shot + salamander oil + impact shot + deadly boots elf is killing much faster than my other power shot + salamander oil + impact shot + clone strike elf.

Since with the rapid shot I am dishing out damage much faster and more importantly more accurate due to no charge time.....

Am I missing something? Both elf is at lvl20

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to keep a selected NPC in your party?
I hate that I have the reselect them after every adventure...
There isn't, but honestly they'll last 2, maybe 3 dungeons at best before their equipment breaks and you have to go to the tavern and switch bags for them or dismiss them.

Am I doing something wrong? My rapid shot + salamander oil + impact shot + deadly boots elf is killing much faster than my other power shot + salamander oil + impact shot + clone strike elf.

Since with the rapid shot I am dishing out damage much faster and more importantly more accurate due to no charge time.....

Am I missing something? Both elf is at lvl20
From what I understand rapid shot is stronger at low levels but power shot scales better at much higher levels/endgame, adding 60% damage to every charged arrow whereas rapid shot becomes useless.

Kamina

Golden Boy
There isn't, but honestly they'll last 2, maybe 3 dungeons at best before their equipment breaks and you have to go to the tavern and switch bags for them or dismiss them.

I didn't know you could do that. I ended up replacing them with newly resurrected NPC of higher level...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know you could do that. I ended up replacing them with newly resurrected NPC of higher level...
Well bag switching is only with online player bones. They come with whatever the player had set up, so sometimes you even get 9 bags full of equipment and they last for a while.

Sanctuary

Sorceress players: which staff element do you find the best for CC?

At first, I thought "Oh ice, that's good because it freezes things."
Then I looked at lightning, and found out that down+O guarantees stun unless the mob is immune - way better than a 30% freeze chance!
But when I play my Wizard (fire), I notice that everything is bouncing around everywhere from fireballs so often that I don't even care about the status effects, and things die faster anyway. The knockdown is the status effect, and ice and lightning aren't as strong in that area.

Thoughts?

Can't speak for the Sorc class, but having played a 27, 75 and 93 Wiz, I can tell you the pros an cons of each element from a Wizard's perspective.

Fire: used to be the rod I'd use almost exclusively, unless I was fighting the Kraken. Mostly because of the +%fire +%damage mod that would appear on weapons, and I used Blaze as my primary boss damage spell. Fire is also the bane of undead and "natural" enemies (wood golems, cats, rabbits, owlbears etc) which seem to make up most of the enemies. Fire does more damage than Ice, but that doesn't mean it's strictly better. It will probably get you through Normal without any fuss.

Lightning: used to use it frequently, and grudgingly so. I really hate that rod. Yeah, the stun chance on it is nice when it hits, but you have to play bowling with it since it hits in a straight line. Its jumping hold O attack is annoying too. It clears out lots of small trash, and can even kill a lot of regular enemies if you have enough mana to do it 2-3 times in a row. The graphic is obtrusive enough when just a single person is doing it, but when you have multiple people doing it all over the screen, it's really obnoxious.

Very early in the game it's actually much better than Fire for bosses, since many of the bosses have a weakness to Lightning. Later, it won't matter nearly as much except on Kraken. The main issue with this rod is that it's a fucking mana hog. More often than not you're better off just doing Magic Bolts unless you know without a doubt every shot will hit. Its best attack is its jumping (non charge) air attack and its ground spam attack (up + O on the ground is great for many bosses and large enemies, but it's extremely narrow; so typically single target even though it can hit more than one enemy). Neither has a very good range. You might have more interest in Lightning if you pickup the Bolt skill. It's supposed to be too random on trash, unless you're in a small room, but pretty good on bosses.

Ice: seems really weak early on, and it also seems like everything it can do, Fire can do better (except on the few Fire resistant bosses). Its up + O vortex thing seems to go slightly higher than Fire's in regards to projectile deflecting (it for sure is on one particular boss). It also has the awesome (for when you actually have the mana to spam it) jumping up + charge O attack. I'm not entirely sure if it actually does more DPS than just having two vortexes on the ground, then jumping and spamming a few shots before reapplying them on single large targets, but when you can hit multiple enemies with its explosion, it's awesome.

When Ice really starts to pull away from Fire is when you actually need to be dealing much more damage to resistant trash enemies that you could simply hit with the elements they were strong against previously. It also becomes flat out awesome when you get the belt from LoC that gives you +50% increased damage to enemies afflicted by status effects; although Sorcs don't wear belts, so I'm not sure if they would get something similar elsewhere. You could use Fire, but Ice is better for spamming it's down + O attack. You get CC, and a pretty large damage increase. Ice is also much better when it comes to dealing with the teleporting Mages. You could just Magic Bolt all day, but you can also teleport on top of them and cast a vortex, then the ground freeze. Usually that either kills them, or prevents them from moving again. Lastly, if you take Blizzard as a Sorc, then I'm assuming you would end up with a set dedicated to cold damage anyway, since you can get items with both +%dmg and +%cold together (as well as increased cost for increased damage). As far as cheap CC, simply tossing a vortex in front of a large enemy, and then teleporting to the other side and doing it again seems to work wonders on much of the more annoying enemies. Fire can do that too, but not as well since all it gets it burn, while the vortex can freeze.

As a Wizard, it's also good to have a backup element rod in each set. I can only assume it would be the same as a Sorc. This is especially true once you start doing LoC, because you can't plan for what you're going to encounter. Normally I just add Fire to my Ice set and vice versa. For Lighting I just carry Fire and use it all the way up to a boss.

Ok, I figured out how to actually do good damage with the wizard without spellbooks. I didn't know Levitation actually let you jump cancel spells and float infinitely in the air, and you can also do normal attacks to build MP in the mean time if the target hitbox is large enough. I put my hands into the DMC claw and went to town on the archdemon (up fireball, hit hit, up fireball, hit hit, land, fire pillar, jump, repeat). This also made Kraken a piece of cake since the air lightning has such a wide multi-hit hitbox to kill all the tentacles.

Shooting 3 fireballs against an incoming wave of enemies in a single jump is way too fun. I wish Wizard had some version of War Paint so I could go full Chris G Soulfists.

Then I looked at lightning, and found out that down+O guarantees stun unless the mob is immune - way better than a 30% freeze chance!
But when I play my Wizard (fire), I notice that everything is bouncing around everywhere from fireballs so often that I don't even care about the status effects, and things die faster anyway. The knockdown is the status effect, and ice and lightning aren't as strong in that area.

Thoughts?

Boss/Dungeon weakness is the only thing that matters. The Sorceress has to take advantage of type weaknesses to be effective. There's nothing worse than taking a fire staff in the Mage's Tower as a solo Sorceress.

I feel that the Sorceress is basically made for dealing with large mobs of foes instead of single targets. I think she really shines when she's got her status skills maxed out.

That reminds me, I really hate that my spells don't restock when chaining dungeons.

Tokubetsu

Boss/Dungeon weakness is the only thing that matters. The Sorceress has to take advantage of type weaknesses to be effective. There's nothing worse than taking a fire staff in the Mage's Tower as a solo Sorceress.

I feel that the Sorceress is basically made for dealing with large mobs of foes instead of single targets. I think she really shines when she's got her status skills maxed out.

That reminds me, I really hate that my spells don't restock when chaining dungeons.

Yeah I only worry about boss weakness. Four bags, staff for each bag and then a variety bag if I join a random game.

Create food kinda mandatory Sorc spell imo, can't believe some people don't take it?

maomaoIYP

Yeah I only worry about boss weakness. Four bags, staff for each bag and then a variety bag if I join a random game.

Create food kinda mandatory Sorc spell imo, can't believe some people don't take it?

I can dodge most of everything thrown at me, so I use something else more useful.

Bombless

Finished normal with the Amazon and went onto the Fighter. The first levels were super boring but damn the shield is amazing.

I'm still trying to figure out what can be blocked and what can't, and whether the party buff from shield block increases spell damage done as well as physical.

I'm guessing taunt will be mandatory at higher levels?

GorillaJu

God why is this game so amazing? I just love it. Can't get enough. If they could somehow patch in his a little more optimization to reduce slowdown on Vita (if such a thing is possible) it'd be nigh on perfect in my book.

JP

I did some consulting work for a couple of hours for a family friend so I was able to get both the PS3 and the Vita versions. While the $90 is pretty steep, I would absolutely say it's worth it. I play on the Vita when I'm on break at work, when I'm just relaxing in my chair and not feeling up for migrating to the game room, or when I just have to make one more run before bed. Then I just upload the save, and it's right there to download when I do fire up the PS3.

I enjoy playing the game more on the PS3 - it's more fluid, easier to see, and the visuals seem even more detailed on the larger screen. However, I've clocked most of my hours on the vita because it's just so darn convenient.

If you have to get just one, get the Vita version, but honestly there's enough gameplay here for me to not feel bad about double dipping, and you're supporting Atlus and Vanillaware, which is always a good thing!
Just seen this, thanks.

I know that I'm going to end up getting at least one of them. Our Vita doesn't see to leave the house, it gets used a lot but only at home so the convenience you mention isn't so much of a bonus for us.

They are CrossSave and I always think of that as a hell of a bonus to be honest and it doesn't happen on enough games. I can't remember who it was but I read an article from a developer Sony have a limit on the game save file size if you do that so I can understand why it doesn't happen at times.

Still have a couple of month to wait for it to each the UK but I'll probably go for the PS3 version first and maybe pick the Vita version up at a later date. I think the only thing that would stop me doing that is the PS4 release date over here because that £30 to £40 could end up being very useful if it's released around the same time.

Monomythian

Neo Member
Vanilla make some of my favorite looking games but I know they are not the most technically proficient bunch.

This is why I'm surprised I like Dragons Crown so much, I like it way more then I expected, like game of the year like.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dang it Australia. Now I have to contemplate buying their hardcover book off of eBay or hoping that a bigger, better one is eventually out on sale through Atlus.

Shame about the Sorceress figure too, but I wouldn't mind a livelier facial expressionon it, if they do a re sculpt.

Rubashov

I was just robbed of 4 talismans, 2 quests (3 fairies!), and probably a good 5 levels of xp in hard last night.

A friend and I chained 5 dungeons last night, even beat the red dragon despite being a slightly under leveled sorc + wizard duo. When we got to the chimera, the floor dropped away and I was booted with the message:

Network error. Returning to town.

It showed me the quests we'd completed, the talismans earned, and the Rannie screen with all of the loot. But I never got the score screen. Back in town all of my equipment had full durability again. I was the same level as when I left, and none of the new talismans were there.

So frustrating when poor design means you waste hours like that. This game seriously doesn't save anything in the background? It has to wait for you to go back to town on your own? Unreal.

Edit: I did keep all of the loot, but that almosts make it worse: the game keeps track of that, but not my score?

Yaari

Has there actually been anyone in this topic that did not like the game? I am surprised at how well it is received. I originally was not that interested even though I like the genre, but everyone really seems to love it. I will be importing it shortly I guess.

Thoughts?

I rarely look at my lightning staves. As it's been noted, they are mana hogs. I have a fire and ice in all (7 of) my bags, but perhaps once I get a little more proficient at dodging, I'll remove the pots for the lightning, and go all fruit. Now I mainly have the fruit for the party, when the idiots aren't advancing the screen right when I summon the delicious bounty.

Fire works best for me when dealing with the mobs of anything not from hell, and some bosses, but the ice rods do have some moves I like better, a la up+O, and the jumping up+O.

Also, I LOVE having ice staves when there are oil barrels around. Putting out those fires just is so satisfying for some reason. Especially in the level that actually catches fire, (name escapes me atm), I've saved plenty of people a good amount of trouble by clearing paths with my ice staff.

When you're just starting out, yea, it'll feel like that.

I've only got mine to Lv3 now, and honestly, whenever I bother to respec, I'll probably get rid of it. I'd much rather have a status spell at this point in the game.

I don't have Protect either, as I'm not interested in helping keep others alive.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Has there actually been anyone in this topic that did not like the game? I am surprised at how well it is received. I originally was not that interested even though I like the genre, but everyone really seems to love it. I will be importing it shortly I guess.

I'm a bit on the fence.

The structure of the game/rpg elements? I love it.

The moment to moment combat? I've yet to meet a non boss area where I felt the need to do anything but mash square and barely pay attention. Kind of a bummer.

Also if I bring any AI or multiplayer people with me the screen is so cluttered that I have no clue what's going on so I end up....just mashing square.

I'm debating just soloing the rest of the game WITHOUT any AI help, unless people think that's a real bad idea.

Himself

I'm about 5 hours in and have a couple questions:

How does the ranking system work? S being the highest and E being the lowest? Edit: Found answer in OP.

What do you guys typically do with the loot at the end of each quest? Appraise it all then choose what to keep?

Long aside, for people who can't be bothered, skip it: This is apparently my first "loot" game because I don't remember playing any other game that would give you such an excessive amount of shit. (Inventory management in Skyrim and Witcher 2 didn't feel quite like this.) I have piles of crap in my inventory, some with stats so similar it seems like it only exists to slow me down. I'm also irked that I'm getting loot for characters I'm not playing as. How the fuck am I supposed to know if I'm tossing something important/rare? It's slightly baffling and annoying, almost a transparent way to add content to an otherwise slim game.

And when does multiplayer open up?!?!?! I heard it takes a while, but damn! Over 5 hours deep already...

Does anyone else's significant other get a kick out of watching this? My fiancée loves this fantasy shit and gets a kick out of the characters. "Are you gonna play Dragon's Crown?"

Velcro Fly

Oh hey the cannon is here. Time to fight this boss the intended way solo.

*loads a cannonball*

Oh hey every single torch over here has suddenly despawned, meaning I might as well just cheese the entire fight with i-frames and frenzy.

Seriously I'm so tired of that happening. This boss is such a fucking hassle because torches despawn so much and torch bearing enemies don't appear when the cannon is out. I can solo anything else but this fight because despawning torches make the mechanic dumb.

edit: and then the next fight I just hold on to the torch when I know it's getting close to time. Get off two cannonballs and dominate the fight. woot

How does the ranking system work? S being the highest and E being the lowest? Edit: Found answer in OP.

What do you guys typically do with the loot at the end of each quest? Appraise it all then choose what to keep?

Long aside, for people who can't be bothered, skip it: This is apparently my first "loot" game because I don't remember playing any other game that would give you such an excessive amount of shit. (Inventory management in Skyrim and Witcher 2 didn't feel quite like this.) I have piles of crap in my inventory, some with stats so similar it seems like it only exists to slow me down. I'm also irked that I'm getting loot for characters I'm not playing as. How the fuck am I supposed to know if I'm tossing something important/rare? It's slightly baffling and annoying, almost a transparent way to add content to an otherwise slim game.

And when does multiplayer open up?!?!?! I heard it takes a while, but damn! Over 5 hours deep already...

Does anyone else's significant other get a kick out of watching this? My fiancée loves this fantasy shit and gets a kick out of the characters. "Are you gonna play Dragon's Crown?"

I sell loot of any rank lower than B usually. Especially if it doesn't have any special effects. You can sort your loot thru select and look thru the items to see which ones you need/like.
Admittedly this game does have somw pretty crappy itemization but whadayagunnado.

No Love

Banned

Sell everything below B Rank. This will save you a lot of time snd money. In your inventory, sort everythingbby category or level to make things easier.

Also, you can keep good loot for other characters and use them with any new chars you create since all inventory is shared :)

For weapons I only bother appraising A and S-ranked items. I might appraise a B-rank accessory if I haven't updated it in a while. Mostly I just sell everything.

Medusa, Cyclopes, and Gargoyle Gate down --- that last fight was chaotic as hell.

Himself

Alrighty then. Looks like it's time to go sell a bunch of sub-B rank stuff. This should help keeping my inventory a bit tidier moving forward as well.

No Love

Banned
For weapons I only bother appraising A and S-ranked items. I might appraise a B-rank accessory if I haven't updated it in a while. Mostly I just sell everything.

Medusa, Cyclopes, and Gargoyle Gate down --- that last fight was chaotic as hell.

Gargoyle Gate is the stupidest boss fight. Its not hard, just really tedious and takes forever for new cannons to come.

SkylineRKR

I only appraise A or higher. And basically only A if it has lots of special effects. But earlier in the game I kept B too because it seems A treasures won't appear much until later.

I wasn't interested, hated Odin Sphere and I was deep into Xillia. But I bought DC anyway because it should be some sort of sequel to Shadow over Mystara.

And its fucking awesome. I have played over 12 hours since Thursday night, addicting as hell. I haven't touched Xillia since which is a shame as its great too.

Velcro Fly

Gargoyle Gate is the stupidest boss fight. Its not hard, just really tedious and takes forever for new cannons to come.

Yeah you need some good AoE and hopefully you got extended by at least 1 for everyone while also praying for an extension before departing. There are many annoying parts to that stage culminating with the most annoying boss you've faced to that point for sure.

Drizzt519

Banned
If anyone wants to play co-op on the Vita add me...Drizzt519. I have a level 35 Elf and a 27 Sorceress. I unlocked hard mode and all that jazz with the elf but havent ran any dungeons/quests in that mode.

P.S. I really like the sorc.

Edit - I enjoy the game a lot. I really wish it supported cross play and had voice chat. You can use a vita for party chat but not everyone has one.

There have been a few people critical of the game, but most of them seemed to expect it to be what it really isn't. Particularly, and perhaps understandably, since it's been fucking forever since an old-school beat'em up was released (this gen saw only Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers, both of which depart somewhat from the old-school formula and also are cheaper, downloadable titles) I believe many didn't know what to expect.

Specifically, they might have expected more stages from this price point, which is understandable if they're not familiar with either VanillaWare games or beat'em ups. However, the game does a fantastic job of keeping things fresh by opening up new routes, bosses, secrets, quests and skills, and by having each character be quite unique and yet satisfying to play (once they click, which may take a while for some of them).

I personally am addicted as all hell, with over 40 hours played (distributed among all characters, which I have all six at level 11 or more) and practically every waking moment desiring to play more. This is actually a bad thing as I should make a priority of playing other stuff, like the current GW2 event that I haven't barely touched, or the PS+ games I got with a 3-month subscription I won't renovate. Not to mention real-life stuff! Sigh.

Velcro Fly

Oh my god this Wraith in two mintues quest. If the AI isn't picking up the torch to fight mobs it is standing there trying to fight the invincible boss. Time to just do this myself because obviously programmable AI is much too hard when quests are active. And then when I finally pull them away from the boss that cannot take damage the other statue gets lit and my weapons are scrolled off the screen. Fucking AI ruining this quest. And between not having nearly enough damage and the constant constant constant stun of mobs below I can't solo the quest at level 43. I have to have the AI with me not acting really dumb.

Drizzt519

Banned
You have to unlock online play with every new character you create. Best thing to do is just run the first 8 or 9 story quests with npcs if its your second playthrough.

Edit - I think you can play local co-op at level 1 on the PS3.

Velcro Fly

So can I come back to normal at a higher level and get the final boss kill trophy? Level 48 now and I'm so close to being able to do it but I can never damage it enough to kill before it flies off

:(

edit: Wow it seems like after I post here about my troubles I accomplish my goal the next run! Perfect cycle of weapon swapping and basically zero damage taken so minimal downtime dodge rolling. Here's hoping for some great gear! Love this game!

maomaoIYP

Anyone got any awesome Amazon tips/strategies/builds?
Deadly revolution, parry, brandish, berserk, then get adrenaline and incite rage.

So can I come back to normal at a higher level and get the final boss kill trophy? Level 48 now and I'm so close to being able to do it but I can never damage it enough to kill before it flies off
Yes. But you'll need to collect all the talismans from scratch again.

I really enjoyed the game, but
after beating the final boss and finding out that there's nine more talismans and that I'd be going through the same levels yet again
, I was just like yeah I think I'm done. And the net connection problems, for me anyway, make playing online useless. Is there really any other incentive to this other than just playing through the same thing but with different characters and watching levels go up?

Drizzt519

Banned
Not really. The game gets harder with hard mode and Infernal mode. There is a pvp arena mode. Always new gear to look forward to and just trying out different setups and such.

Edit - There is also the chaos dungeons to go through.

Velcro Fly

Yes. But you'll need to collect all the talismans from scratch again.

That was what I was afraid of! Glad I took care of it now before moving on to Hard later on.

I think I'll finish the game with all six classes for the trophy, endings, and artwork.

But I think I'm dwarf for life. Once you get used to being able to just toss enemies always it's so hard to go back to not being able to do it. Just feels good pounding on stuff with my weapons too.

That was what I was afraid of! Glad I took care of it now before moving on to Hard later on.

I think I'll finish the game with all six classes for the trophy, endings, and artwork.

But I think I'm dwarf for life. Once you get used to being able to just toss enemies always it's so hard to go back to not being able to do it. Just feels good pounding on stuff with my weapons too.
Yeah man, bodyslams are sooooooo good for crowd control. I often feel like I'm bodyslamming more than regular attack!

Not really. The game gets harder with hard mode and Infernal mode. There is a pvp arena mode. Always new gear to look forward to and just trying out different setups and such.

Edit - There is also the chaos dungeons to go through.

Hm, thanks. I may pick up the Vita version later on as I think I would enjoy that more, and maybe the online will get better before then.

Really fun game though.

The worst part of this game is investing a bunch of time into a character, then deciding you want to play a new one. Having to go through all that story junk again is a huge bummer.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The worst part of this game is investing a bunch of time into a character, then deciding you want to play a new one. Having to go through all that story junk again is a huge bummer.

It's super quick, though. You get to use high level AI to buffer the difficulty, and you can get used to the movement and options of your character at the same time. Successive playthroughs with new characters have only taken me a few hours.

Top Bottom