• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

It's super quick, though. You get to use high level AI to buffer the difficulty, and you can get used to the movement and options of your character at the same time. Successive playthroughs with new characters have only taken me a few hours.

Yes! I did this with my (offline co-op friend) character when she was gone and I got to the online/bags/runes part in no time, rushing through everything.

Also, can anyone please remember me how to get the respec item/option whatever? Thanks.

Monomythian

Neo Member
Anyone got any awesome Amazon tips/strategies/builds?

These are you go to skills, max out these because they are amazing for both mobs and bosses.

Deadly Revolution
Punisher
Brandish
Berserk
War Paint

As for the others.

Stun Wave is nice because its a long range across screen blow you can spam out really quick if you don't want to get in the face of anything. It has amazing synergy with Deadly Revolution and momentum to build up Berserk in order to fire off Brandish safely.Not particularly useful for most bosses though.

Incite rage coupled with War Paint mean a boss might be dead before it even looks at you.

Iron Will means you never have to buy stalwart pots.

Avoid Neck Splitter entirely, you will never use it because a Stun Wave only requires 1 jump and is more useful with it's range. Personally I don't take Parry, if you are standing still as an Amazon you are doing something wrong. Brutal Wave is only really useful if you do the cute trick of Mega Smash/Weapon Swap.

Sorceress players: which staff element do you find the best for CC?

At first, I thought "Oh ice, that's good because it freezes things."
Then I looked at lightning, and found out that down+O guarantees stun unless the mob is immune - way better than a 30% freeze chance!
But when I play my Wizard (fire), I notice that everything is bouncing around everywhere from fireballs so often that I don't even care about the status effects, and things die faster anyway. The knockdown is the status effect, and ice and lightning aren't as strong in that area.

Thoughts?

I personally go Ice, mainly because I like both of it's Up+O attacks, ground and air. Fire's good too though. I' stay away from Lightning though because iirc it uses more mana than Fire and Ice.

Ixion

Two questions:

1) How do the button mappings work? I have four items mapped to each of the face buttons, but I'm not sure what to do in battle.

2) Weapons have attack stats with two numbers (i.e. "3-14"). What does that mean?

Monomythian

Neo Member
Also it really sucks you only get 3 Amnesia Potions per character, you can't even really experiment with builds.

Edit: I suppose you can copy save data and mess around that way though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also it really sucks you only get 3 Amnesia Potions per character, you can't even really experiment with builds.

That's plenty. Just by leveling up you get enough points to see what each skill does when at a high level, and decide how to allocate once you get to level 99.

I don't think they should've given unlimited respecs. Frankly, I would've been fine with one Amnesia potion per character.

Drizzt519

Banned
I like lightning. Down+O stuns almost every time it hits, not mages and other certain enemies though. The lighting storm does good damage and also has a high chance to stun enemies. Plus it has that full screen horizontal shot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I took path B at the Goblin Fortress, and defeated the Goblin door... Why didn't I get the talisman?

B path bosses are on a timer. If you don't kill them before some random force comes in and kills the boss for you, you don't get a talisman/treasure... instead you simply "escape".

Giolon

I really enjoyed the game, but
after beating the final boss and finding out that there's nine more talismans and that I'd be going through the same levels yet again
, I was just like yeah I think I'm done. And the net connection problems, for me anyway, make playing online useless. Is there really any other incentive to this other than just playing through the same thing but with different characters and watching levels go up?

Hard mode requires a bit more strategy and really makes you learn your character. Enemies have more health and some nastier abilities (I swear to god that tucking ninja teleporting Goblin...). Some of the boss fights have additional elements too. I actually found my fun went up when I gained access to the new difficulty level. My Amazon had been cutting mobs down with a single swing for quite some time. Not anymore, and it made me get good with Parry real fast. Plus, there is the awesome Labyrinth of Chaos which has random levels, random bosses, random enemies, and some unique loot with special properties.

Personally I don't take Parry, if you are standing still as an Amazon you are doing something wrong. Brutal Wave is only really useful if you do the cute trick of Mega Smash/Weapon Swap.

Which, BTW, I find the real value of Parry is its ability to gain I-frames easily when you have no Beserk. Even with 1 point, it gives you nearly the exact time you need to get off your basic 4-hit combo and into Brandish.

Brutal Wave/Power Smash is a pretty good opener if you have no Beserk up. The animation is entirely I-frames, and without your weapon you attack very quickly which allows for building Beserk stacks very fast. By the time you get your weapon back, you'll have built up a couple stacks.

Carnby

B path bosses are on a timer. If you don't kill them before some random force comes in and kills the boss for you, you don't get a talisman/treasure... instead you simply "escape".

Oh. That's strange, because I could have sworn I got the talisman from beating the lion/snake/hawk headed monster, even though he fell into lava.

Kamina

Golden Boy
So I am on Lv.27 with my Elf.
Pumped all possible skills in Power Shot and spread the rest over battle hardened, more arrows, evasion, clone strikes, elemental mage and more HP.

I really have to say that some of the quests are tricky. I don't seem to encounter any of these Owl-Bears anymore for example...but I need another 7 of them.
Where do they mostly appear?

Other than that I really have to say that this game is addicting. Bottleneck for more gaming is the Vita's capacity the health of my right thumb.

It's super quick, though. You get to use high level AI to buffer the difficulty, and you can get used to the movement and options of your character at the same time. Successive playthroughs with new characters have only taken me a few hours.

True, didn't think about the resurrected companions. Good point.

Has there been any discoveries on extra hidden moves that aren't explained through the tutorial or the game manual?

I swore I did a drill type jump straight up with the amazon after a double jump that I can't recreate.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ha! I wish.

No, no there's not. The good news is that the narrator's voice will be ingrained into your brain and you won't notice it quite as much after some hours (maybe).

'Integrated in brain' is exactly describing what it is. I don't even consciously hear the narrator anymore.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Has there actually been anyone in this topic that did not like the game? I am surprised at how well it is received. I originally was not that interested even though I like the genre, but everyone really seems to love it. I will be importing it shortly I guess.
I like the game a lot, but I'm very critical of it (and no, not just the female art, though there is that too ;)). I am not very far into it (I'm about to go to "the Mage tower"), but I'll echo all of Caerith's earlier criticism about the couch coop aspect, which is deeply flawed. And I also think the RPG elements are too prominent, I enjoy them but I would have preferred longer levels and spending more time smashing shit up than fiddling around in menus. That said I am not yet to the point where I can chain dungeons without returning to town, so my experience will hopefully be improved at that point.

Oh, and the story is insipid, but I didn't expect a good one. Though it would have been nice. Sure it's a beat-em-up, but then, it's also an action-RPG, after all.

ZeroAKA

Do uses for special items such as Salamander Oil not get restored after completing every level in a chain? And is there a way to do so?

Drizzt519

Banned
Once they're out they're out. Its a good idea to take all the bags you can so you can switch gear and get more spells and items while chaining.

Edit - for you guys that dont like the narrators voice, download the narrator voice pack. its free.

Giolon

Do uses for special items such as Salamander Oil not get restored after completing every level in a chain? And is there a way to do so?

Nope. Neither does Durability. That's why you can have multiple bags of equipment/spells. Activating EIS rune will give 1 additional stock to all of your items & spells (up to the maximum for that item/spell, no going over). That goes for Salamander Oil - you get ONE use back from EIS...they could've at least given 2 or 3 :-/

Has there actually been anyone in this topic that did not like the game? I am surprised at how well it is received. I originally was not that interested even though I like the genre, but everyone really seems to love it. I will be importing it shortly I guess.
I think it is okay.

The way they handle multiplayer is so bafflingly stupid that, if I didn't know better, I would have suspected it was a last minute addition and not something that was planned from the get-go.

Considering I got it as a multiplayer game, this soured my opinion of it quite a bit.

Torraz

Just got the game - VITA version. Looks gorgeous.

Not sure I enjoy playing the dwarf.

1. What class does everyone suggest?

2. How does making new characers work? Do you just create a new one at the inn?

3. How does one get these new characters up to par with regard to levels? Run through the cleared areas again?

Thanks!

Giolon

3. How does one get these new characters up to par with regard to levels? Run through the cleared areas again?

Thanks!

1. They're all good. Personally I like Amazon the best overall - mad DPS when Beserk and tons of i-frames via the Brandish move. Elf is fun, but she's hard to use properly. Fighter is supposed to be the "easiest" class.

2. Yep. You can have up to 20 on 1 save file. They all share loot and gold.

3. Each character you make starts from the beginning of the story, for better or worse.

Drizzt519

Banned

Thanks!

I've only played an elf and the sorceress. I like them both. Just try out another class and find out what you enjoy most. Yup, go to the inn and choose character and pick an empty slot. Every new character is like starting the game over. Gear and gold is shared between characters.

1. They're all good. Personally I like Amazon the best overall - mad DPS when Beserk and tons of i-frames via the Brandish move. Elf is fun, but she's hard to use properly. Fighter is supposed to be the "easiest" class.

2. Yep. You can have up to 20 on 1 save file. They all share loot and gold.

3. Each character you make starts from the beginning of the story, for better or worse.
Just to drive this point home, I have tried all if the characters and find the Amazon the most boring. It is all about taste.

Ixion

Can someone answer my questions? Hmmmmmmmmm?

Two questions:

1) How do the button mappings work? I have four items mapped to each of the face buttons, but I'm not sure what to do in battle.

2) Weapons have attack stats with two numbers (i.e. "3-14"). What does that mean?

Ultimadrago

Can someone answer my questions? Hmmmmmmmmm?

1. You hold up on the D-Pad along with the assigned button to hit shortcut items/equip shortcut weapons

2. Minimum to Maximum damage, not considering status effects or boosts. When you use the weapon there's a hint of random generation within the sum of damage of a single hit. The closer the window is (and higher the maximum), the better.

Ixion

1. You hold up on the D-Pad along with the assigned button to hit shortcut items/equip shortcut weapons

2. Minimum to Maximum damage, not considering status effects or boosts. When you use the weapon there's a hint of random generation within the sum of damage of a single hit.

Sweet. Much appreciated!

Having to hold the d-pad to use items seems kind of awkward though, since you can't move while doing that. Wish it was L2 or R2, like Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet. Much appreciated!

Having to hold the d-pad to use items seems kind of awkward though, since you can't move while doing that. Wish it was L2 or R2, like Marvel Ultimate Alliance.
It could've been, but they probably wanted to preserve platform parity and the vita doesn't have L2/R2.

Ken

Got to hard mode finally. The biggest thing that's keeping me going forward is the unlockable waifu art omnomnom.

Naar

I saw people saying that if an AI partner equipment breaks to kick them because there is no way to fix their broken equipment.

I just want to point out that if you pick up bones online and resurrect them, you usually get people with 5-6 bags worth of equipment (especially the higher level they are) and can equip their various bags until all their bags are broken.

You don't want that level 90 elf you resurrected to part ways, while you are still level 40 :p

Drizzt519

Banned
If you're talking about the npcs you resurrect, then yes, they are. Can really cut down time doig quests and shit on your second playthroug.

Quixzlizx

Yeah, so I tried taking on the red dragon after hardly being hit at all getting to him and having max + food HP as a level 31 elf, and I got roughly 10% of his health off before losing all of my lives. I don't see how I'm ever going to beat him, lol.

Yeah, so I tried taking on the red dragon after hardly being hit at all getting to him and having max + food HP as a level 31 elf, and I got roughly 10% of his health off before losing all of my lives. I don't see how I'm ever going to beat him, lol.

I'm an Elf and I had no issues with him first run. Can I ask what your approach is?

Quixzlizx

I'm an Elf and I had no issues with him first run. Can I ask what your approach is?

He seems to be attacking almost 100% of the time with the rocks constantly dropping, so crouching clone shots don't seem to work too well (they hardly seemed to do any damage, anyway). I was reduced to an occasional in-air power shot while trying to spend the rest of the time evading.

He seems to be attacking almost 100% of the time with the rocks constantly dropping, so crouching clone shots don't seem to work too well (they hardly seemed to do any damage, anyway). I was reduced to an occasional in-air power shot while trying to spend the rest of the time evading.

Mm, I wonder if you're positioned right for your upward charged shots. That's how I killed him (with toxic extract on) and every shot did a huge chunk of damage. As for openings, I would generally try to evade through falling rocks so that I could stay near him. If you can't do that, then when rocks start falling, evade to the opposite side of the room until the rocks are done falling and quickly evade back to the dragon's position so that he doesn't jump again.

There's apparently a way to exploit his AI involving luring him to one of the bottom corners of the room and keeping him there, and apparently he won't jump or fire breath any more at that point, so you could try that if all else fails.

Naar

Most of my damage came from being in the air and showering him with arrows while I evade. I just pretty much repeated that pattern until he died.

Evasion is a very crucial skill for Elf. It basically allows you to stay up in the air and shower enemies with arrows and by the time you hit the ground everything should be dead

Top Bottom