• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

What about brutal drive?

Amazon's circle attack just isn't that good compared to the Dwarf's, and going into max stage berserk and just brandishing over and over does way more damage than brutal drive will do.

I hope I don't screw up by picking elemental thingie with the elf instead of boots.

Also salamander over toxin.........................

No, you didn't screw up. Boots are awful. Just absolutely terrible. Elemental Lore is actually viable at level 99.

Salamander is definitely better than toxic, but on my 99 Elf, I have both maxed because Salamander doesn't work well on a few of the bosses (red dragon, Kraken (because water prevents the fire pillars from forming), Wyvern, etc).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No, you didn't screw up. Boots are awful. Just absolutely terrible. Elemental Lore is actually viable at level 99.

Salamander is definitely better than toxic, but on my 99 Elf, I have both maxed because Salamander doesn't work well on a few of the bosses (red dragon, Kraken (because water prevents the fire pillars from forming), Wyvern, etc).

Hmm, what's your Elf build?

I usually never use consumable skills on mooks, only on bosses, so ahhhh, learning that some of the (more difficult, even!) bosses resist fire kind of bumming me out on my Salamander Oil picks.

Hmm, what's your Elf build?

I usually never use consumable skills on mooks, only on bosses, so ahhhh, learning that some of the (more difficult, even!) bosses resist fire kind of bumming me out on my Salamander Oil picks.

NFOJ12G.png

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are the best skills for a Fighter?

Sorry, I dunno anything about fighter yet. Mine's been made, but it's only level 1. I've done Elf and Amazon, and I'm currently working on Sorceress and Wizard.

ViviOggi

So between dungeons my game apparently tried to connect to an online session, faded to black and didn't respond anymore. I reset my PS3 and now my entire save data is gone. What a fucking joke.

€: Lol nvm, I'm so dumb. Between that I downloaded the narrator pack and was still logged in with my US account.

Bombless

€: Lol nvm, I'm so dumb. Between that I downloaded the narrator pack and was still logged in with my US account.

Don't you have to play while logged with your US account to make use of the narrator dlc?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are the best skills for a Fighter?

My fighter is 38 but I can shed some light on his current skills.

Cyclone Masher is straightforward. More levels apparently increase flight time so it's good in my book.

Shockwave : I took it but not sure if it's worth upgrading. I guess it reaches a certain range so might be useful later on?

Tempest Edge : Now this I am very torn on. On one hand it does quite a bit of damage and the AoE is amazing, but the end thrust is non cancelable, and has gotten me hit/killed way too many times. Even if you try not to trigger Tempest Edge and you whirlwind for half a second the final thrust always plays so you lock yourself in place for about 1,5 seconds, which can be fatal. I haven't played long enough to say but I get the impression Reflex Guard doesn't trigger while in that move (which makes sense but still sucks).

Reflex Guard is mandatory, of course. Saved my butt plenty of times.

Missile Reflect : I got it but I don't really notice it working (only 30% chance at lvl 3). IF it works with Reflex Guard it'll be awesome (fuck those crossbow goblins/skeletons).

Bash : Another skill that I don't see working often, too much action on screen (also stun rate is shown as 30% at lvl 3, kinda sucks for that many points invested AND needing a block to proc first).

Cover Allies : got it but not many people actually stand behind you to dps. The buff range at max level is really huge but I can't tell if it increases just physical damage or magic damage as well (what does ATK mean?).

Shield Tactics : Being able to block hits and ignore knockbacks is invaluable so this will probably need to be maxed.

Haven't used Distraction / Sacrifice yet. I also always wear 2 weapons per bag to be able to switch when the weapon gets kicked off my hand (which happens WAY too much imo).

Edit :
Nope, it's working just fine. As far as I know you can access any content on a PS3 with any account as long as you don't delete the one it belongs to.

Awesome, was thinking I needed to start all over. Welp, making a US account now :D

Velcro Fly

Got 47.8k with minotaur/harpy combo. Also threw a couple things in pots and fed the AI in between. Not sure if I get points for that. It would actually be easier to just feed the AI since they can eat without me stopping my cooking. Stopping to eat costs me time every time.

Pretty much if I would have eaten the second minotaur thing instead of stirring before trying to eat I might have had it.

Think I'm just going to keep at that and I'll get it eventually. I thought I did pretty well getting spices in and things stirred/flipped and cooked.

On the flip side I've gone from 48 to 51 grinding out these trophies. Killing B-side bosses still gets me S rank stuff on Normal.

edit: Yes you can feed AI players for points! This will be a tremendous help! Don't feel like doing another run right now but hopefully tomorrow I'll nail this trophy!

doomquake

had a crazy run (for me) with lvl 30 amazon. i think we did 8 adventures in a row and my shit didn't break and i never used a continue. Was 3 fighters and me, then an elf jumped in. I was really glad i got to collect the bones of the same guys i played with somehow, now I can use em as AI players for a few levels. got 4 gems in a row

Espada

Don't you have to play while logged with your US account to make use of the narrator dlc?

My fighter is 38 but I can shed some light on his current skills.

Cyclone Masher is straightforward. More levels apparently increase flight time so it's good in my book.

Shockwave : I took it but not sure if it's worth upgrading. I guess it reaches a certain range so might be useful later on?

Tempest Edge : Now this I am very torn on. On one hand it does quite a bit of damage and the AoE is amazing, but the end thrust is non cancelable, and has gotten me hit/killed way too many times. Even if you try not to trigger Tempest Edge and you whirlwind for half a second the final thrust always plays so you lock yourself in place for about 1,5 seconds, which can be fatal. I haven't played long enough to say but I get the impression Reflex Guard doesn't trigger while in that move (which makes sense but still sucks).

Reflex Guard is mandatory, of course. Saved my butt plenty of times.

Missile Reflect : I got it but I don't really notice it working (only 30% chance at lvl 3). IF it works with Reflex Guard it'll be awesome (fuck those crossbow goblins/skeletons).

Bash : Another skill that I don't see working often, too much action on screen (also stun rate is shown as 30% at lvl 3, kinda sucks for that many points invested AND needing a block to proc first).

Cover Allies : got it but not many people actually stand behind you to dps. The buff range at max level is really huge but I can't tell if it increases just physical damage or magic damage as well (what does ATK mean?).

Shield Tactics : Being able to block hits and ignore knockbacks is invaluable so this will probably need to be maxed.

Haven't used Distraction / Sacrifice yet. I also always wear 2 weapons per bag to be able to switch when the weapon gets kicked off my hand (which happens WAY too much imo).

Edit :

Awesome, was thinking I needed to start all over. Welp, making a US account now :D

Cyclone Masher and Sword Tempest are a MUST for Fighter. It's easy to gauge when you can let loose with it (so you won't get locked in). Cyclone Masher is ridiculously good at pouring on damage while avoiding it. Jumping and slashing away at two Chimera heads at once while you avoid its attacks = Awesome.

Cover Allies, Shield Tactics, and Reflex Guard are all excellent and must be leveled up together.

Cover Allies boosts your attack by 30% when you guard an attack (at level 1). At level 2 and 3 it jumps to 70% and 100%.
Reflex Guard automatically blocks incoming damage, and maxed it blocks half of the incoming damage. Here's the kicker: Auto-guards trigger the attack boost from Cover Allies. I've been in situations where I'm constantly buffed due to my elective blocking and auto-guard.
Shield Tactics is absolutely critical for making the most of this. As you boost this skill you'll be able to absorb stronger blows without being launched (and losing your weapon). This lets you abuse Cover Allies and Reflex Guard against elite enemies, huge numbers of attacks from mobs, and bosses. Of course, so attacks are unblockable.

Missile Reflect and Shockwave aren't really worth it. Judgment definitely is. Jumping and coming down like a bomb lets you get enemies off your allies or break huge groups.

maomaoIYP

Just beat the ancient dragon on infernal as a solo sorceress at level 84.
So yes, even the character most widely considered as the weakest of the cast can solo the entire game on the hardest difficulty.
Now to level a little before I tackle labyrinth 9-1.

Here's my setup:
Maxed skills: Mental absorb, concentrate, spirit up, protection, gravity, rock press, blizzard, levitation, curse.
Evasion - 1, Deep pockets - 3. Everything else can be put freely into common skills.
I also only carry 1 staff per bag, anything more is a waste, even when playing the labyrinth because you can still easily take out enemies without the correct elemental weakness.
Explanations on spell choices:
Protection - her best spell
Gravity - pulls in all mobs for free damage, works great against certain bosses (lost woods B boss for example)
Rock press, blizzard - self explanatory
Curse - great for taking dangerous enemies out of action for a while, but in every situation gravity is almost always superior. I could actually respec to remove this.
Thunderhead - random hits, not worth it
Ice prison - not particularly useful as well
Animate skeleton - skeletons are really bad as fodder, and bone piles are too rare in the labyrinth
Create food - just don't get hit, which isn't particularly hard given the sorceress' incredibly movement capabilities.
Petrification - needs too many points to be useful.

Bosses can be stunned as well. Not sure for the dragons, but every other boss can be stunned.

I thought that was related to damage and not % stun? I'm asking because Bash has 80% stun rate at max and that seems pretty OP if you could also use it on bosses. It seems incredibly useful in general since it's been really easy to land so far, I'm just sort of wondering what the catch is.

I thought that was related to damage and not % stun? I'm asking because Bash has 80% stun rate at max and that seems pretty OP if you could also use it on bosses. It seems incredibly useful in general since it's been really easy to land so far, I'm just sort of wondering what the catch is.
I'm sure it's % stun-based. I can't guarantee this though.

Bosses have probably high stun resistance, so it's definitely not an 80% chance to stun them.

Bombless

It's weird, I've knocked down the Gazer with a simple butt charge a few times (Sorceress) so it's definitely possible, probably just low % chance.

It's weird, I've knocked down the Gazer with a simple butt charge a few times (Sorceress) so it's definitely possible, probably just low % chance.
Yeah, I also think that the dragons are either immune to stun or the resistance is so high it's almost impossible to stun them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Velcro Fly

So frustrated with cooking. Getting to 48k a few times sucks so much. Not trusting randoms to not hose me while I'm whipping up food is even worse.

Then the last couple times with the AI I've failed to kill the
red dragon
for some reason. On top of that I'm absolutely out of damage potions and four straight times I've left town and come back with no potions to buy.

Probably just going to organize something to have 2-3 other players help me out with this dumb trophy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So frustrated with cooking. Getting to 48k a few times sucks so much. Not trusting randoms to not hose me while I'm whipping up food is even worse.

red dragon
for some reason. On top of that I'm absolutely out of damage potions and four straight times I've left town and come back with no potions to buy.

Probably just going to organize something to have 2-3 other players help me out with this dumb trophy.

I got it pretty easily with one other person by accident. I'm sure someone on GAF could help you out.

The trick for the Red Dragon if you're underleveled or not using a damage dealing class is to whittle down his health in the Treasure Room first, before going into the "fleeing" segment.

koryuken

My lvl 99 amazon doesn't use iron will but takes incite rage. If you're relying on a skill to prevent knockback instead of using her i-frames and parry, you're playing the amazon wrong. Incite rage is meant as a desperation move for boss fights. If you only have enough health to last one more attack, bust it out and abuse brandish. Also, iron will makes all hits do 10 damage, even hits that were supposed to do less than that.

Are you really successfully parrying stuff when you are swarmed with mobs in the labyrinth of chaos? I would never be so bold as to tell another player he is playing the character "wrong" lol. Also, how many hits on Infernal difficulty do less than 10 damage?? 10 damage from all sources is godlike when combined with regen potion/and the 1% hp drain Chaos Amulet (amazon reward). With this setup, the boss mobs cannot even deal enough damage to keep you below full hp. Additionally, you never have to worry about a boss knocking the weapon out of your hands.

RangerBAD

Managed to windmill my way through the Ancient Dragon trophy for Infernal. Made a bag with +draconian damage and -draconian damage. Beat the
Demon Lord
too. And, finally, got the 100k hit trophy. 80% for trophy progress. Just have to do the other Ancient Dragon trophies and the character trophies.

In Peter Townsend we trust,

pete_townshend.jpg

maomaoIYP

Are you really successfully parrying stuff when you are swarmed with mobs in the labyrinth of chaos? I would never be so bold as to tell another player he is playing the character "wrong" lol. Also, how many hits on Infernal difficulty do less than 10 damage?? 10 damage from all sources is godlike when combined with regen potion/and the 1% hp drain Chaos Amulet (amazon reward). With this setup, the boss mobs cannot even deal enough damage to keep you below full hp. Additionally, you never have to worry about a boss knocking the weapon out of your hands.

The trick to parrying isn't actually to parry, but to block first. When the blows rain down just tap square repeatedly and you'll get the parry after a few more blocks. It's literally impossible not to get the parry. With incite rage and adrenaline you go so fast you can kill bosses before they 'transform' into their harder versions.

So I'm going through the Sorceress right now and I'm wondering what her best spells are. Or just how useful each spell is for the most part. Don't want to waste my points on worthless shit.

Anyone have some advice?

Jesus. The Golem fight is where this game finally got real.
Nu uh, the Gazer.

So I'm going through the Sorceress right now and I'm wondering what her best spells are. Or just how useful each spell is for the most part. Don't want to waste my points on worthless shit.

Anyone have some advice?
Everyone has different opinions. Blizzard and Protection are pretty much 100% agreed upon, though.

I'm inclined to say that Amazon parry is actually better than the fighter's block. Having I-frames to build berserk and being able to block/parry at any point during her attack strings is pretty amazing. Not being able to cancel the Fighter sword flurry (unless I'm missing something) really makes you choose between DPS and defense in my experience, which is why I'm considering just going all-in on bash.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
...The Red Dragon destroyed my Lvl 27 Elf v_________v

Got some help from a person using a Sorceress but she got destroyed too... faster than my Elf, actually, hahaha.............. :((

ViviOggi

red dragon

Got it the first time I cooked on Hard, not sure if the points increase there or I just got lucky with the players.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I experienced the 1st cooking screen last night with a party of three other people but I have absolutely *no idea* what I should do during the screen. Can only sit there gobsmacked while the others do crazy stuff on my Vita screen.

I am afraid the game might consider me already viewing the tutorial since I already viewed that screen but I just don't understand. Can a kind soul here give me a tutorial about the cooking screen please?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think my cooking is glitched. On my controller, the analog stick seems to be stuck to "up" so if I release the left stick, it automatically starts shifting upwards (this only happens in the cooking game, by the way). This doesn't happen on my boyfriend's controller. WTF?

Incidentally, that cooking mini-game is pretty damn silly. :p Speaking of silly, not being able to select all the outstanding side-quests is goddamn retarded. WTF? Wouldn't be such a problem if the chained dungeons weren't random, but now it's just a coin toss if we're going to get a relevant dungeon or not... ugh.

3 talismans to go on our playthrough here. Just out of curiosity... will my boyfriend be able to progress into the end game after I collect all the talismans, since his P2 progress isn't saved? We're currently playing without him having access to runes or additional bags, which means our dungeon chaining is limited, but he can still do a couple before his stuff breaks. It's still playable but I hope we won't be blocked later...

Giolon

I think my cooking is glitched. On my controller, the analog stick seems to be stuck to "up" so if I release the left stick, it automatically starts shifting upwards (this only happens in the cooking game, by the way). This doesn't happen on my boyfriend's controller. WTF?

Incidentally, that cooking mini-game is pretty damn silly. :p Speaking of silly, not being able to select all the outstanding side-quests is goddamn retarded. WTF?

3 talismans to go on our playthrough here. Just out of curiosity... will my boyfriend be able to progress into the end game after I collect all the talismans, since his P2 progress isn't saved? We're currently playing without him having access to runes or additional bags, which means our dungeon chaining is limited, but he can still do a couple before his stuff breaks. It's still playable but I hope we won't be blocked later...

Not 100% but based on everything people have said about local co-op, you'd have to run through with him as P1. It does suck, BUT, on the plus side, it will take about 3-4 hours to go through all of it. That sounds like a lot, but I've played over 40 hours on my Amazon, and another 30 spread among 3-4 other characters, including helping friends who got the game after me play catch up with multiple characters. So, if you're planning on playing a lot of the game, it's a small amount. If you skip optional rooms, most stages only take about 5 minutes total including the boss fight if you're overleveled.

Wish I had better news.

Sanctuary

Nu uh, the Gazer.

I used to think that fight was completely stupid for a caster, until I figured out the "trick" to it. Then it just went from stupid to annoying. Try doing it as a lower leveled Fighter for your first time though. It's absolutely ridiculous how awful it is. In fact, the Fighter feels so much like it's a completely half-baked design. Losing your sword is bad enough (even when you aren't using the moves that purposefully slam it into the floor), but you can also lose your shield. He's also pretty terrible at taking damage. You can block, and even get 50% chance for auto block, but it does nothing when you're getting hit out of your attack animations; especially the long lasting ground combo that's his level 15 core skill. Maybe the class actually starts to come into it's own at level 65 or whatever, but it's pretty nightmarish early on, and you wouldn't think it would be for the "tank" character.

Grimløck;77475121 said:
Maybe this has been asked before, but is there an end to the LoC?

How do you avoid the petrification attack from the Medusa? I just straight up ignored it and killed her with all my characters on Normal, but it seems to 2-shot my Wizard on Hard and it's a bit of a drag. I didn't have any luck trying to teleport through it but I might've just had the timing wrong.

Giolon

How do you avoid the petrification attack from the Medusa? I just straight up ignored it and killed her with all my characters on Normal, but it seems to 2-shot my Wizard on Hard and it's a bit of a drag. I didn't have any luck trying to teleport through it but I might've just had the timing wrong.

Face your character away from her. Or wear gear w/ Immunity to Petrify.

I have completed the game with the Fighter class, the Ancient Dragon sure has one mean punch, done a run with the Elf as well, started the Sorceress. After those, i would go unto the Amazon, Dwarf and Wizzard, then i would move unto the hard mode cause i am sure i would preety much do those online

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone, cooking screen tutorial please? :(

Anyways, I heard that those level 99 characters are actually save-hacked characters that can produce items that can make the game glitch and thus corrupting your safe? Is this true?

ViviOggi

• Pick up a main ingredient by clicking it with your cursor
  • put it in a pan or pot (some dishes turn out differently depending on this)
  • add the additional ingredients (always three, located on the right side of the table)
  • stir in-between (the left icon when you move your cursor over the pan/pot)
  • take it out before it burns (right icon)
  • put it on your plate (the one below your character icon, you can't eat from other people's/AI's plates)
  • eat your dish by clicking on it thrice

Apparently you can also add vegetables to some types of meat and I'm not sure about when to stir to get the best results, but that's pretty much it.

maomaoIYP

Anyways, I heard that those level 99 characters are actually save-hacked characters that can produce items that can make the game glitch and thus corrupting your safe? Is this true?

Apparently so. I have 2 legit level 99 characters and I just played with a dude who had an infinite elixir on ps3.

Sanctuary

Just beat the ancient dragon on infernal as a solo sorceress at level 84.
So yes, even the character most widely considered as the weakest of the cast can solo the entire game on the hardest difficulty.
Now to level a little before I tackle labyrinth 9-1.

Here's my setup:
Maxed skills: Mental absorb, concentrate, spirit up, protection, gravity, rock press, blizzard, levitation, curse.
Evasion - 1, Deep pockets - 3. Everything else can be put freely into common skills.
I also only carry 1 staff per bag, anything more is a waste, even when playing the labyrinth because you can still easily take out enemies without the correct elemental weakness.
Explanations on spell choices:
Protection - her best spell
Gravity - pulls in all mobs for free damage, works great against certain bosses (lost woods B boss for example)
Rock press, blizzard - self explanatory
Curse - great for taking dangerous enemies out of action for a while, but in every situation gravity is almost always superior. I could actually respec to remove this.
Thunderhead - random hits, not worth it
Ice prison - not particularly useful as well
Animate skeleton - skeletons are really bad as fodder, and bone piles are too rare in the labyrinth
Create food - just don't get hit, which isn't particularly hard given the sorceress' incredibly movement capabilities.
Petrification - needs too many points to be useful.

Did you not take Adroit Hands or Vitality Boost? 5 maxed buff/attack skills means you didn't pick up something else; unless those all have unusually low requirements. Plus, you maxed Mental Absorb. As a Wizard, I never ever found it worthwhile.

As far as Create Food goes; if solo, I definitely would not bother with that at all either. For grouping, I might put 1-3 levels into it early on and then spec out of it later. I actually had not been following most of the recommendations regarding the Sorceress in this thread, or elsewhere since I had not gotten around to the class yet, but I've seen what Protection, Blizzard and Gravity can do (Gravity is essentially the Sorc's Slow) and was totally planning on maxing those. I've never actually seen anyone use Curse other than goblins, but it sounds just like a variation on Extinction; can hit more enemies, but doesn't fully remove them from the scene.

I honestly never saw how the Sorceress was "weaker" than the Wizard in a general sense. Unless the gear you get has less +damage and +element mods on it. Wizard gets it from the weapon, belt, and glasses (shared). I'm assuming the Sorceress gets it from weapon, glasses (obviously) and the earrings. The class might not have Blaze, but it doesn't really seem like she's a slouch either. Most of the Wizard's damage comes from rod attacks anyway. She might get less INT in the long run, but it doesn't really factor that much, since INT is the least contributing damage increaser.

Also, I'm currently at floor 30 in LoC, and you're right about not needing to bother with more than a single rod. Although I heavily favor ice over all else there, but unfortunately don't have three equally powerful ice rods, so I have three bags for soloing and they are all a different element. Resistances never play a factor, even against the Wraith, but I do have a fire spell as well. The other thing is that it doesn't seem like the difficulty is raising all that much. It seemed to spike at level 9+, but it's been relatively the same in each area. That's even when using bags that do not have the Conq seal. I don't get it.

Top Bottom