• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Usobuko

Banned
Can you guys help me making this purchase.

Just repurchased a Vita (blue one) while in Japan and this game was all over the place being pushed hard. Really liked the visual style.

I guess my question is, how is the difficulty? I haven't played any of the games in this, "series." Not sure what to expect.

I can only say this as someone who clear the final end game boss at the highest difficulty and has 3 out of the remaining 5 characters beating normal. It's not hard at all and the way you're being punished for your mistakes are reviving using gold which is quite easy to earn. Boss attacks are easy to read and there's a dedicated dodge button.

Bottom line is if for some reasons you can't beat it, there is this option to grind. I do agree that it's a pretty game.

Velcro Fly

Grinding for the cook all foods trophy.

Is there a trick to get food to respawn faster? I'm guessing with boss foods I have to cook something else in between but it's like holy crap.

One chain in particular I know is going to take me at least two runs. The one I just finished up kraken and chimera took forever to respawn. I ate about a bite or so of the second kraken food so I have no idea if that counts or not. I'll just cook it again to make sure.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Grinding for the cook all foods trophy.

Is there a trick to get food to respawn faster? I'm guessing with boss foods I have to cook something else in between but it's like holy crap.

One chain in particular I know is going to take me at least two runs. The one I just finished up kraken and chimera took forever to respawn. I ate about a bite or so of the second kraken food so I have no idea if that counts or not. I'll just cook it again to make sure.

No trick that I know of. Boss ingredients always take a long time to respawn. They also give the biggest bonuses. It's best to just work on other foods while waiting for them to come back. In the case of the Red Dragon, it actually never respawns. It always takes two runs.

Is the narrator supposed to repeat "Gather all 9 talismans" during hard mode?

He always says 9 talismans until you reach a point of like, 4 left or something.

joe2187

Banned
I have 6.

I'm a bit worried it's not registering them.

It aint a glitch. As long as you see them in your inventory you're fine.

The game knows by now that you are sick and tired of hearing the narrarator repeat themselves so it give you a little rest.

THEY WERE BEING DUPLICITOUS! never gets old though.

I wanted to buy this game but I couldn't find it on PSN store, then I saw its banned here in UAE :(.

What? why?

is it the titties?

Dyno

Labrinth of Chaos is quite amazing. I went in at Level 36, unlocked the first three floors, went through six bags of equipment, and got to Level 40. What a run!

anddo0

I wouldn't sweat it if the narrator's not saying it. Just press Start and look at your Talisman count.

It aint a glitch. As long as you see them in your inventory you're fine.

The game knows by now that you are sick and tired of hearing the narrator repeat themselves so it give you a little rest.

THEY WERE BEING DUPLICITOUS! never gets old though.

Thanks.. That narrator is the bane of my existence. So annoying, and it cost one million to purchase a new one.

Labrinth of Chaos is quite amazing. I went in at Level 36, unlocked the first three floors, went through six bags of equipment, and got to Level 40. What a run!

Labrinth of Chaos is a nice touch.

I cleared three floors and it said I couldn't progress past my current level. I'm level 57.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Right on. If you need someone to run dungeons with you I will. PSN handle is same as here. I have an elf and a wizard around the same level as you.

On a pretty long chain now with Bunquafa the Sorceress right now. Trying to get all the talisman so I can start hard mode with her.

Edit - I probably have all them but I just keep going.

Okay thanks. We'll just have to see when we can play together. I'm in GMT timezone.

I just finished up easy mode with Bunquifa the Sorceress. She's at level 36 now.

Here are some picks of how my abilities are allocated and what my stats are and what my bags look like.

I mostly run with a party of NPC's so I think its important to have the spell that casts food and spell Protect. Having skeletons helps a lot too.

Wow, is it really worth it to go almost naked accesory-wise to have three wands and several spells? I go the exact opposite route, with full five complement of accesories, one wand, and two spells.

Drizzt519

Banned
Cool, im PST, so not a huge difference.

The worst part of doing long dungeon chains - having to go through all that loot. I just sell off everything that is C or below right away. A and B's have to have 2 or more stat modifiers or I sell those. I generaly just keep the S rank stuff.

Weltall - I like having instant access to whatever element may be needed in any given situation. Being able to go from fire in one room full of tree dudes to lighting in the next room full of water is nice. Plus I need no defence as I mostly keep outa the way. Ive only died twice as the sorceress, on two seperate boss battles.

I also like having lots of spells. I dont really ever use them throughout a level but I burn'em on bosses.

Edit - Someone mentioned that the Thunderhead spell wasnt so good. I disagree. As the sorceress is considered a support character it fits perfect. I use it during every boss fight. Not to do big damage to the boss but to keep all the minions at bay. It gives me (and my party) more time to focus on the boss.

Do I have to play online with other people in order to pick up real people's bones?

Also the clone ability of the amazon, what's the deal? I do it and she flashes red, I don't see any clones. Am I doing it wrong?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why vita's battery doesn't last forever? Why it had to interrupt my dragon's crown session? :'(

I guess it's the only way to take me away from dragon's crown...

The one TRUE choice. Also, go for the japanese VA!
I wanted to, but in the end i chose the english one, i though there were dialogues :\ is it possible to change?

No Love

Banned

Once you beat Infernal you can play to level 9 and beyond.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I'm lvl 46 with my dwarf now, can't wait to beat Hard mode.

And tbh, I actually like the Labyrinth of Chaos more than I do the actual stages! I love how it's randomized, the variety of backgrounds, scenarios, and 'never know what you're gonna get next' keeps things interesting.

Bombless

I wanted to, but in the end i chose the english one, i though there were dialogues :\ is it possible to change?

Yeah, you can change your character's speech, colour and multiplayer messages any time, at the Inn, when you go into the "Player Select" menu, you press Triangle to go into the custom screen.

Will selecting to join a random room drop you in a party that's in the labyrinth? If not then how do you join a group for it? I have a level 55 wizard and have just been joining random rooms to progress. Not once have I been put into a labyrinth group though

Giolon

Will selecting to join a random room drop you in a party that's in the labyrinth? If not then how do you join a group for it? I have a level 55 wizard and have just been joining random rooms to progress. Not once have I been put into a labyrinth group though

I don't think so, but selecting Labyrinth from the Stables definitely can. I'd've had it happen to me and was surprised by it. It w nice though bc I dropped in on the room before an end-floor boss fight!

Thanks.. That narrator is the bane of my existence. So annoying, and it cost one million to purchase a new one.

If you are in the US, the DLC to unlock all narration voices is still free until Sep 6 or so. You can also turn off the narrator in the Options.

Can you guys help me making this purchase.

Just repurchased a Vita (blue one) while in Japan and this game was all over the place being pushed hard. Really liked the visual style.

I guess my question is, how is the difficulty? I haven't played any of the games in this, "series." Not sure what to expect.

On Normal, it's pretty easy though actual difficulty is mostly determined by the class you choose to play. There isn't really a series to have played here per se, but it's gameplay is inspired by the old D&D arcade games and other similar beat 'em ups of yore. I find the gameplay here to be far more refined and engaging than other games of this type that I've played though. Normally, I end up bored out of my mind within 15 minutes. Not here!

If you end up losing all your lives, you can always pay some gold (which comes pretty easily) to continue until you finish a level. It'll just end up costing you instead of earning you gold that time around.

Buy it!

If you are in the US, the DLC to unlock all narration voices is still free until Sep 6 or so. You can also turn off the narrator in the Options.

And if you're outside of the US, all you need to do is create a US PSN account, the DLC will still work on your other PSN accounts once you've downloaded it from the US PSN Store.

On Normal, it's pretty easy though actual difficulty is mostly determined by the class you choose to play. There isn't really a series to have played here per se, but it's gameplay is inspired by the old D&D arcade games and other similar beat 'em ups of yore. I find the gameplay here to be far more refined and engaging than other games of this type that I've played though. Normally, I end up bored out of my mind within 15 minutes. Not here!

If you end up losing all your lives, you can always pay some gold (which comes pretty easily) to continue until you finish a level. It'll just end up costing you instead of earning you gold that time around.

Buy it!

Thanks! That is what I was looking for! Bought for Vita. Should be here Wednesday!

web01

They really need a patch to improve the on line experience.

If I lock player slots the game should only match me with players with the same number of total open slots.

I much prefer to play with two players max. As soon as a random player leaves my host the game auto attempts to connect you to other players on next stage. Getting put in with 3 mages is not fun.

And before it even tries to connect you to players it should ask you route A or B or give you the option to stay in your own host.
I understand what they were trying to achieve letting you come across other players seamlessly but they need to iron out the issues.

They really need a patch to improve the on line experience.

If I lock player slots the game should only match me with players with the same number of total open slots.

I much prefer to play with two players max. As soon as a random player leaves my host the game auto attempts to connect you to other players on next stage. Getting put in with 3 mages is not fun.

And before it even tries to connect you to players it should ask you route A or B or give you the option to stay in your own host.
I understand what they were trying to achieve letting you come across other players seamlessly but they need to iron out the issues.
I think it does work the way you want, but you have to host at that point rather than jumping into somebody else's game. So, close up any slots you want closed, go online, and then pick the level to go to in the stable and the game should eventually drop players into any open slots.

This is how it's worked for me anyway. I only leave two open slots and have always had ONLY two filled by players and/or AI.

Do I have to play online with other people in order to pick up real people's bones?

Also the clone ability of the amazon, what's the deal? I do it and she flashes red, I don't see any clones. Am I doing it wrong?
Quoting myself from the last page, anyone know the answers? Thanks.

The random room ones?

Out of 10-15 attempts (I was addicted, hahaha) last night I got maybe 2 failed connection, and hmmm, also around 2 times where people in my party gets kicked out (although I joined their party, to be exact), but other times have been groovy.

What's your PSN? You mind if I add you? Mine is LaughingBanana.

Sure. My PSN is "Tegras".

Quoting myself from the last page, anyone know the answers? Thanks.
I didn't start to get real people bones until I started playing online, so yeah, I'd guess that's a requirement.

Don't know about the Amazon as I've only played Fighter so far.

This game has all these small touches and hidden systems that it seems like I'm learning something new every time I play.

Loakum

Banned
Looks interesting. I may have to get this game. It's a shame there has been such a shortage of JRPGs (in the US) this gen.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Looks interesting. I may have to get this game. It's a shame there has been such a shortage of JRPGs (in the US) this gen.
You'd probably be better suited with Atelier Totori, which is on sale in the North American Vita store. Sale ends tonight.

You should still give Dragon's Crown a shot though.

Giolon

OHHHHHHHHH thanks. I thought I would literally get clones of myself running around. =(

Yeah, War Paint makes what's more akin to afterimages than actual clones. I was disappointed at first b/c it's hard to notice when there's only one, but when you have the 2second at Rank 3 that lags even further behind, it's more noticeable. It's a really cool effect IMO, and really jacks your damage way up.

I did want an army of Amazons on my screen though. :(

Velcro Fly

Only a few more foods to eat. Does anyone happen to know if I need to fully eat something for it to count? Once or twice I've been really close but haven't finished the whole thing before time ran out. By far the worst part of this is waiting on respawns. It seems like the higher level enemy the food comes from, the slower it respawns. A certain B-side boss only gets one meat per camp, but Harpy eggs respawn in plenty of time to be made again and again.

I think at most I have maybe 5 foods left. It's all a matter of doing the runs. If I keep going I should have it today!

koryuken

Maxed Incite Rage, Adrenaline, Berserk, Brandish and War Paint is carrying me hard through Inferno right now. I'm just spamming my moves with invincibility to get through the stages (some enemies still 1-shot me) and taking down the bosses with Rage + Paint.

I feel under leveled at 60 though. Really frustrating losing literally an entire bar of HP if I mistime a single parry.

I had the same build but I changed incite rage to iron will and it made a HUGE difference. With Iron will + regen potion, you are still getting the great use of the adrenaline skill (since your HP is gradually going down), but you can actually survive for a long time. 10 max dmg from all sources and knock-back immunity means you can be on the bosses ass all day. I noticed that a lot of high level amazons also run this build.

Top Bottom