• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Use the same save game (don't start a new one or start a new one and save over the same slot). Go to the Inn, choose Select Character, and create a new one. You can have up to 20 characters. Each one will start from the beginning on Normal. Characters that have beaten the game can Pray at the temple to change difficulties.
:O so simple!
Thanks! :D

Any tips on how to beat killer rabbit on infernal with elf? I've killed 7/9 infernal B path bosses solo, but i'm feeling like I just dont have the horsepower to kill the damn thing because so many of my arrows miss... Obviously I load up on the Salamander Oil and Poison extract but even then once i run out i just don't have the gas to make it work. I start the round off by whipping out a dagger and backstabbing the shit out of it but i have so few points in backstab it doesnt make much of a difference.

also why is deadly boots such a shit skill?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It seems you completely missed her point, instead reading things in a way that you want to read them.
No, I just addressed specific points from the reviews which I thought were myopic or flat-out stupid.

I like Sorceress most as Narrator.
I haven't used the others, but since I switched from the default dude to the sorceress I haven't felt a need to, her voice is pretty good.

She cracks me up so much when she imitates the voices of male characters, such as lowering her voice to sound more male, or when she voices the old hermit with that crazy old man voice. It manages to sound cute and funny and over-the-top without being grating and just stupid, that certainly takes talent.

That voice is scary as hell, it's pretty much a women trying to talk like a man.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Kind of grating and try-hard. I use the Japanese voice on my amazon myself because even the "They're here!" and other in-game soundbytes were a bit annoying, she sounds so much nicer in Japanese.

Anyone knows what she says when it sounds like uh... "Kakatekinasai" or something? What does this mean? Haha.

Any tips on the Red Dragon with an Amazon? I just can't shake this thing.
It's kind of strange, I was really dreading this boss on Hard mode with my solo Amazon. I was just at the suggested level of 60 (I sometimes struggle against some bosses even when I'm slightly over the suggested level, so when I'm at the exact level or lower it's really hard) and then I proceeded to beat the crap out of him without losing a single life and using only one Small potion. o_O Yet the gazer, level 45, still kicked my ass. Go figure. I did stack all my best anti-draconic gear, but still, I was shocked at how much I slaughtered him.

How do you get those respect potions? I'm almost done with Hard, I have all the talismans and ready to kill the last boss again, but I haven't encountered any such thing. Is it only through the LoC?

maomaoIYP

Any tips on how to beat killer rabbit on infernal with elf? I've killed 7/9 infernal B path bosses solo, but i'm feeling like I just dont have the horsepower to kill the damn thing because so many of my arrows miss... Obviously I load up on the Salamander Oil and Poison extract but even then once i run out i just don't have the gas to make it work. I start the round off by whipping out a dagger and backstabbing the shit out of it but i have so few points in backstab it doesnt make much of a difference.

also why is deadly boots such a shit skill?
I use the salamander oil, then just jump and power shot. That's all you really need to do to kill it, the rabbit is weak to fire. Once you've gotten used to the angle of the shot it's not difficult.

How do you get those respect potions? I'm almost done with Hard, I have all the talismans and ready to kill the last boss again, but I haven't encountered any such thing. Is it only through the LoC?

They're in the LoC

Giolon

No, I just addressed specific points from the reviews which I thought were myopic or flat-out stupid.

I wasn't trying to start anything - it's just a viewpoint I found well articulated and refreshing after all the negative backlash against the art style without anyone trying to dig any further than "OMG boobs!" and lumping in all sexualization the same regardless of intention. You don't have to agree - but not everything has to be a fight.

Amnesia Elixirs are rewarded for floors 3, 6, and 9 of the Labyrinth of Chaos the first time you beat them with any character. Every time you clear floor 99 you apparently get one but at that point...do you really need them? (maybe to farm them for other characters)

omg_mjd

One part of the Vita version that bothers me is during the intro/title sequence--the dragon seems to be animated in a weird framerate. Is it the same in the PS3 version? (Trivial, I know.)

I haven't used the others, but since I switched from the default dude to the sorceress I haven't felt a need to, her voice is pretty good.

She cracks me up so much when she imitates the voices of male characters, such as lowering her voice to sound more male, or when she voices the old hermit with that crazy old man voice. It manages to sound cute and funny and over-the-top without being grating and just stupid, that certainly takes talent.

Guess it's been mentioned here before but the Sorceress VA is the same one who did Chie from P4G.

My main right now is the Sorceress so I'm using the Elf narrator for contrast. Will use the Sorceress narrator for my next character.

I racked up some skill points. Don't know what to do with them. My level ain't high enough to level up some skills I want. hmmm. Using the Wizard and casting the storm is crazy awesome. I unlocked the meteor storm and I regret it immediately. Game is awesome so far.

Bombless

New patch for the Japanese version : http://dragons-crown.com/info/2013/09/ps3psvita2.html

Google Translate said:
[Bug fix]
I has improved the operational stability in the circumstances-specific.

[Additions]
I came to be able to participate in the random "labyrinth of chaos" in the menu and communications.
-For the operation character visibility improvement
 I now displays the position display triangular cursor at the bottom of the screen.
· MP of the wizard is to charge the MP further state the upper limit
 power of magic will now rise.

[Improvements]
by more than one character of scenario progress together, "PS3 version" same
 in offline multiplayer
 scenario progress will now proceed at the same time.
• If the connection error occurs in online play,
 I started to play again the same stage without returning to town.
Berserk-state in Parry success of Amazon
 now go up one step.

· We can now cancel the neck splitters Amazon.
- We adjust the effect on the skills of each class.
And other, were made ​​to improve the system around and comfortable of the function and improved operability.

Bolded is so good.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I love how much post-launch support Vanillaware is giving this game. They're really taking player feedback to heart and improving things. Really nice to see. :D

Parry increasing the berserk meter seems almost too good; Parry is already insanely useful (more useful than the Warrior's block, I'd argue), and now there'll never be any justification for using incite rage.

I don't really understand the neck splitter cancel change, though? It's already got a pretty fast startup, does it mean canceling the recovery animation? Might be cool but with the parry change there's no reason to jump unless the enemy can't be hit while grounded.

maomaoIYP

Berserk-state in Parry success of Amazon
 now go up one step.
· We can now cancel the neck splitters Amazon.
Holy shit. As if parry wasn't powerful enough already.
5s of i-frames AND berserk stack. Holy fucking shit.
Also this would finally make neck splitter worth using. A complete game changer.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
namethatno1uses from GameFAQs said:
Hands-on:
- Online matchmaking has replaced options. Have no idea what they mean now... *sadface*
- New durability "line" under each gear in the start button equipment menu that shows how damaged equipment is. (at least that's what I think it is. It's full for everything I have)
- New triangle arrow on bottom of the screen is.. meh. Kind of annoying, it looks out of place.

On to the good stuff:

- MP "supercharge" has 3 stages. All of them have a blue aura, takes 2.5 seconds to reach full charge at max MP. Lasts 5 seconds. Gives a 30% damage bonus (wow) to wand spells AND spellbooks too!
- Size of spells grows much larger, at least double the size. I'm talking HUGE area effects here. Meteor FILLS THE ENTIRE *****-ing SCREEN.
- Slow has double the radius now. Without charging. Charge has seemingly no effect? Maybe it makes enemies slower...
- While the aura disappears while casting "big" spells (meteor), the damage and size bonus applies.
- Rapid fire "Snowflake" (Ice rod up+O) is... fills the screen... the damage.. oh my god... beautiful!

This super charge is Wizard-only. Sorry Sorceress!

I had my doubts about this update, but I'm speechless. And I thought Wizard was the 2nd best before this with the right gear, above Elf. No contest any more.

Haven't seen any radical changes to other classes.

EDIT: Forgot something. Multiplayer menu has a LoC option where you select a floor, and then wait for someone else to join. I thought it put you on a random floor with others, but no.
Still hard to find LoC players this way. :(

namethatno1uses from GameFAQs said:
New tidbits:
Wizard can reach charged state with Extraction (aka hitting enemies with square).

Elf

Elemntal lore max skill is +100% damage (and not 150%?), but size of spell effects increased a little.
Backstab and/or boots max +300% (instead of 350%?)
Not sure about the above percentages. Can't remember if they changed these or not.
Regardless, my kicks are doing more damage than before. Boots get bow's damage bonuses now. Elemental lore is also doing the exact same damage as before. Maybe the skill's base damage was buffed?

Sorceress
All her spells seem a little bit larger. Same damage, larger area.

Amazon
Can't see a difference. Neck breaker can be cancelled I guess? Not that anyone uses it.

Fighter
Can't see any difference....

Dwarf
Frenzy (mash square) seems stronger now. Did 2/3 the damage of first 3 punches before, now each hit does the same damage as those punches.

Sorry if I'm wrong. Take these with a grain of salt.

Good, my Wizard wasn't already powerful enough ( ≖‿≖)

And still not going to bother with neck splitter.

kubricks

What?! As if parry is not op enough, now it gain berserk level? Holy shit lol! (Unless they make the timing tighter)

And Neak splitter cancel yeahhhhh!!! I always love neck splitter finally there is some use other than in normal!

What does the Elf's elemental lore skill do, exactly? I'm only level 25 right now, but have been pumping all my points into the arrow skills and boot skill.

Still can't evade-cancel the Elf's standing charge shot de-draw? Bah. >.> Sometimes, I want to dodge downwards but pressing down while doing a charge shot enters her uncancellable de-draw animation instead, leading to me getting hit.

maomaoIYP

On to the good stuff:

- MP "supercharge" has 3 stages. All of them have a blue aura, takes 2.5 seconds to reach full charge at max MP. Lasts 5 seconds. Gives a 30% damage bonus (wow) to wand spells AND spellbooks too!
- Size of spells grows much larger, at least double the size. I'm talking HUGE area effects here. Meteor FILLS THE ENTIRE *****-ing SCREEN.
- Slow has double the radius now. Without charging. Charge has seemingly no effect? Maybe it makes enemies slower...
- While the aura disappears while casting "big" spells (meteor), the damage and size bonus applies.
- Rapid fire "Snowflake" (Ice rod up+O) is... fills the screen... the damage.. oh my god... beautiful!
I have no idea what this means, but I'm glad there's finally some difference between the wiz and sorc. I don't think this would make the wiz better than the sorc though.

Quixzlizx

Nope. I'm holding out for the Orchid Seed version. I don't like what AlphaMax did with her breast proportions (did they really have to make them bigger?) and there's something still off about the face. I would've preferred a more active pose, rather than this submissive crawling thing.

There's also the MegaHouse Elf and Amazon, and yeah I'm totally onboard for these unless the paint job is fucked up:

I've already got Gwendolyn, Velvet, Momohime, and Kongiku. Never liked the figures of Mercedes that came out.

I am not a figure collector, but I want dat Elf. Also, that is a nice Velvet figure.

Does anyone know whether you need to have all of the talismans yourself to join someone else to fight the Ancient Dragon? I'd rather not have to grind all of the talismans again myself to get the Normal/Hard speed trophies.

Marvelous

I need to see some footage of the wizard and sorceress changes. That Gamefaqs guy made it sound like the wizard is beyond god tier or something now, lol.

Edit: Oh, and I'm very happy that Vanillaware has not stop supporting this game.

baconcow

Would be nice if they would fix the slowdown that is throughout the game. 42 hours in, and I see it all the time with AI teammates.

Sanctuary

This super charge is Wizard-only. Sorry Sorceress!

Might actually make playing a Wizard worth it now over simply playing the superior class. It also makes it harder to give up the +20% on Concentrate (Sorceress stops at 30%, Wizard 50%). Problem is, you're really only gaining that additional damage for 2.5s (in the middle of a fight) since you have to charge it for 2.5 as well. And it looks like that's on top of already having to charge to full mana first. In terms of wand spam, it's not really enough of a change to matter.

For precasting a single spell, in conjunction with the +%damage increase if spell is repeated (works also when you start to cast a book spell, but cancel before it happens and you can do this up to ten times for a 30% - 50% increase in damage) it may have an impact.

I need to see some footage of the wizard and sorceress changes. That Gamefaqs guy made it sound like the wizard is beyond god tier or something now, lol.

Edit: Oh, and I'm very happy that Vanillaware has not stop supporting this game.

Typical internet hyperbole. If anything, all this does is improves Slow. The damage change won't affect much for the class.

-Amon-

Official, it's out here in Italy on October 24.

Gave up, importing the American version.

Aaaand done.

Holy Shit this game is pretty ! I've watched tons of vids about it but nothing beats this thing on Vita's oled, not even Muramasa Rebirth i guess.

Lovely news about the patch, even though I won't benefit from arguably the biggest change since all of my characters have unlocked online (and IIRC Talismans did drop for all characters in a party). Eager to see the Wizard change in person. Berserk on Parry is also awesome.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The P2 story progress thing is awesomely good if true. Please let it be true. I might actually resume playing with my boyfriend now.

Yesterday I played with the wizard a bit. Man I suck with it, I find it so hard to manage my MP, I run out so fast. I try to time my recharges + hitting with the wandto regain mp as fast I can but it's annoying when a thief arrives to steal your treasure, you're surrounded by enemies and are low on MP, argh. I think I've had him run away with my treasure like twice now. xD

I have some questions about wands:

- Is the attack rating worth anything except the hits with square button, or do they affect your magic's attack power too? Since those are invariably crap, I tend to look at the staff's elemental attributes (ice, fire or thunder) or properties (MP+x, MP recharge, etc.) a lot more than the AR, but I don't know if that's such a good idea.
- Is it just me or are the ice wands so much better? Freezing enemies is very nice and the tornado attack is pretty useful. Lightning rods have been disappointing me so far. I see the down+circle attack (IIRC) can sometimes stun enemies but overall I "feel" weaker using those lightning wands. Am I doing it wrong?
- I have the extra item in my bag, but I have to wait until level 30 to get the next one, so I only ever carry two spells + a potion. I'm not good enough to consistently not need potions against bosses (depends on the bosses of course), but it kind of limits my spell repertoire... and I'd rather not sacrifice an inventory slot. I try to change my spells from bag to bag, I have one with Blaze and Storm, another with Blaze and Slow, another with Storm and Slow (I haven't learned any other spells yet) and try to pick a bag accordingly to the level/boss I'll face. Good/bad idea? I'll really struggle without potions, but maybe I should just practice more...? :\

Guess wizard is just too advanced for me. ^^ Still, I'll persevere! I'm improving and feel more powerful with the new skills I get. I mean I almost struggled against the harpy lol (I was going fully solo), fumbling with recharges and badly aiming my spells, but I'm getting less terrible. Still, I've a long way to go, I played with randoms online who main the wizard and boy they're good at juggling all of that.

Then again I know there are worse players than me ^^. I was playing with a friend yesterday (online), he's using the elf and he's very new to the game, he just got it and we dove in as soon as he unlocked online. He had no idea about any runes (only ever used the golem one), thought food was shared so always grabbed all the pieces until I told him to leave some for the others, didn't know how to use the hotkeys on items, and worse of all... he didn't level up any bow skill (we're about level 25) and uses kicks and melee attacks all the time (because he "likes that kind of fast aggressive playstyle") and almost never uses the bow, so if I sit back and quietly just activate rune while he fights, he takes forever to kill small goblins... xD I told him the Amazon might be more suited to his playstyle, and he said he'd try her eventually. I hope he does because his elf is super-weak and almost of no help to me haha.

Edit: though to his credit, he did say that he had managed to somehow juggle/stunlock the Gazer by spamming some sort of downward kick on it constantly... but he didn't succeed at doing it again when we fought him together this time. Oh, speaking of the infuriating Gazer (I swear he's the worst boss for me), why does he keep silencing my wizard? ;_; Arrrrrgh, come on, way to cripple entire classes for that boss fight, geez! That boss was a nightmare with a solo wizard...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Lovely news about the patch, even though I won't benefit from arguably the biggest change since all of my characters have unlocked online (and IIRC Talismans did drop for all characters in a party).
The problem wasn't for online, but offline coop. P2 didn't get the runes, the extra bags, the talismans, hard mode unlocks, etc.

Sanctuary

I have no idea what this means, but I'm glad there's finally some difference between the wiz and sorc. I don't think this would make the wiz better than the sorc though.

It won't. The change isn't going to really do much of anything for the Wizard.

The Slow "buff" also seems to be inaccurate. Others have tested it and said that there's not been any change to it. Sorceress is still the master race.

Lvl 65 btw, and it's just now starting to get hard. Red Dragon can kill me in a single tail smash (even though the shockwave doesn't look like it's anywhere near me), and the Arch Demon can actually sometimes get a lucky juggle combo followed by a homing teleport grab to take off a single life.

I also really freaking hate the Minotaur now. It's one of my least favorite encounters, especially the sub boss that is in a small room. 90% of the time the goddamn thing is off screen where you can't hit it. It's also another example of where having two wands is better than wand + belt, because you can use a Fire wand to immolate it. I haven't really done any kind of extensive testing on how much of a boost the WWF belt gives, but it seems like it's only +2 damage per floor for your basic wand shots (you can get off 8 - 10 shots a second though). Not sure what it does for the other abilities yet, nor do I know exactly how much of a boost it gives to your overall defenses.

TheExodu5

Banned
So for local coop, if I start a new game can I pretty much coop right away? Going to a friends place tonight and we might play this if that's the case.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I must be the worst Amazon ever because I don't know how to parry (or block for that matter) and I'm getting killed pretty regularly even when evading and doing her standard combo. Playing on Vita by the way.

Sanctuary

So for local coop, if I start a new game can I pretty much coop right away? Going to a friends place tonight and we might play this if that's the case.

Yes, local you can do close to the start of the game. I think you still have to do the initial dungeon though to reach the point where you can pick allies (which would be the second player).

Giolon

I have some questions about wands:

- Is it just me or are the ice wands so much better? Freezing enemies is very nice and the tornado attack is pretty useful. Lightning rods have been disappointing me so far. I see the down+circle attack (IIRC) can sometimes stun enemies but overall I "feel" weaker using those lightning wands. Am I doing it wrong?

Ice wand really is beastly. I'm sorry I can't really answer your other questions. However, on my Sorceress, I take 5 spells and only wear 1-2 pieces of gear but 1 of my spells is Create Food in lieu of a potion.

Naked Lunch

How does online co-op work with this game? I have 3 relatives who live in the same house I want to play with online. Can they hop into my online game and play 3 player local co-op on their machine?

You want either the ice wand or lighting staff/wand. The fire is worthless. Lightning gives you the summon from lightning aerial attack which combined with the aerial dodge cancel allows you to wipe fields.

Giolon

How does online co-op work with this game? I have 3 relatives who live in the same house I want to play with online. Can they hop into my online game and play 3 player local co-op on their machine?

Yep. That works. However, only "Player 1" on a given machine gets quest/story progress until this latest patch from Japan makes it way to the rest of the world.

Giolon

Thanks! Any word on a timeframe for this patch?

No word, but I believe the last one lagged by 2 and a half weeks compared to the Japanese patch but the US version of the game was launched 1 day before that period.

Also, for whatever reason, Atlus was contractually obligated to NOT tell us if or when we were getting that patch, so I'd expect the same treatment for this one, i.e. silence.

No Love

Banned
Wow, Vanillaware is actually fixing every complaint with the game. Fuck yeah! This is why I bought both PS3/Vita copies... supporting a great developer. :)

Top Bottom