• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

From GameFAQs:
Harpy, weak against thunder
Medusa, no weaknesses/strengths

Minotaur, weak against thunder
Gargoyle Gate, strong against fire

Golem, no weaknesses/strength
Arch Demon, No weaknesses/strengths

Wyvern, weak against ice
Red Dragon, weak against ice, strong against flame

Vampire, weak against thunder
Wraith, strong against ice

Warlock, no weaknesses/strengths
Chimera, no weaknesses/strengths

Doom Beetle, weak against fire
Cyclops, no weakness/strengths

Pirate gang, weak against thunder
Kraken, weak against thunder

Gazer, weak against fire,ice,thunder
Killer Rabbit, weak against fire

While I'm not sure about the solo X boss quests, I do know that you can set the difficulty back down to normal for some quests you've taken in the later difficulties and complete them. I assume it works for everything, unless special items are difficulty locked.

If in doubt, go Thunder!

Just started tonight, having a lot of fun with my dwarf luchadore.

So how many of you folks switched out the controls to map movement to the d-pad and item management to the analog stick? I was wondering if that'd make it a bit easier to navigate the game's several planes.

So how many of you folks switched out the controls to map movement to the d-pad and item management to the analog stick? I was wondering if that'd make it a bit easier to navigate the game's several planes.
It was the first thing that I did, else I found myself doing slide attacks and launchers that I never intended; I also didn't like holding square to run.

Using the analog stick isn't that great for the item shortcuts either, but I got by on it without issue.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I collected the bones for the next character with my previous, so that I could complete the quest instantly every time I got it.

It was more of me complaining about having to say yes to revive 30 times then release about 30 dudes in the tavern getting the skellys happens naturally

Yep, switched to D-pad asap. Instant dash shots on Elf are sweet. As are instant holy-fuck-dat-knockback kicks.

Sanctuary

Haha, after doing a few chain runs with online peeps, I got some lvl 79 bones. This should get me through all of the difficulties :) (I'm level 29)

Their durability will wear out long before you clear Normal even. Unless you don't care about their accessories/shield being broken. Still should do good damage.

On a side note: has anyone else come to the conclusion that Amazon hirelings are easily the worst by far? They die more than any other type I've used. You would think the Elf would be number one, but she's number two. As a Wizard, a Fighter is an obvious boon to have, yet I find that a full party of nothing but Fighters is almost better than any other composition. Fighter, Fighter, Elf works too, but on the toughest fights, all Fighters seem to go the distance.

I rarely bother with bringing a Wizard or Sorc since the AI is too stupid when it comes to using their spells. The only time I'll ever bring another caster is if I want Ice damage, and he will simply replace an Elf if I'm short on Fighters.

And yeah, the D-Pad > analog for character control. Although the analog is fucking horrible for shotcuts and item use. Can't wait until they localize the Japanese patch.

Caerith

I've been playing local co-op with my girlfriend and noticed a weird bug. We were in the catacombs (and later the cove), and we were being thorough: unlocking every door, looting every room. But here? We entered rooms and were immediately punted out to the room we just came from with no option to return. In catacombs, we got kicked out of 2/3 rooms, and in the cove we couldn't enter any side rooms at all without being kicked (one even started some dialogue bit but we were ejected before hearing what the narrator had to say).

Anyone seen this before? Any idea why it happened?

And it really sucks that local co-op doesn't save story progress. Quests, gear, etc, sure, but when my girlfriend took the first controller and I joined, we were right back to coming to Hydeland as an adventurer. Is there some way around this?

I really hope both of these get patched PDQ.

Stuff about hirelings

As an Elf, if I'm not playing with a friend, I'm playing solo without hirelings. The increased enemy spawns/enemy health/boss health from having a full party, plus the idiocy of the hireling AI just makes me not give a damn about having them. I'd rather just play solo.

Sanctuary

I've been playing local co-op with my girlfriend and noticed a weird bug. We were in the catacombs (and later the cove), and we were being thorough: unlocking every door, looting every room. But here? We entered rooms and were immediately punted out to the room we just came from with no option to return. In catacombs, we got kicked out of 2/3 rooms, and in the cove we couldn't enter any side rooms at all without being kicked (one even started some dialogue bit but we were ejected before hearing what the narrator had to say).

That happens all of the time online, and it's always when someone just rushes out of the room. Might be different from your situation, but the end result is always the same.

Caerith, right now, it only registers player one's playthrough. Seemingly by design. No word on whether they will patch this. Highly doubtful. Best way to proceed is to have player 2 always be your high level character to help speed through things.

That's an especially crummy setup when you want both players playing the same areas and progressing at the same rate.

Ultimadrago

And it really sucks that local co-op doesn't save story progress. Quests, gear, etc, sure, but when my girlfriend took the first controller and I joined, we were right back to coming to Hydeland as an adventurer. Is there some way around this?

I really hope both of these get patched PDQ.

1. I don't know why or how that happened to you two. I've been playing local co-op for a while and I've never been insta-booted out of a room. We have goofed and left rooms early to which there is no return (similar to other BTUs, so I called no foul there). I don't know what's happening in your situation.

2. I have brought up how much that sucks as well. The thing is that I'm not positive it will be patched as I believe it's how the game defines one's personal "story." However, without even a handful of unique traits and nuances to specific class/race in terms of story and interaction, it simply comes off as an unnecessary slog. This is especially true when it prevents them from gaining bags (which are important in later levels) if they haven't bought them in their own story first. You can rush through fast since you're at a higher level, but it certainly is an unfortunate design.

"Vita-ism" isn't fair. These mechanics, including controls, have been with us since 1993
Just curious but what game are you referencing to in regards to 1993? I just don't think the clicking around the environment with a cursor controlled by an analog stick adds anything to the game, it feels hard to justify it when they could've easily gone ahead and done away with the cursor and incorporated those aspects in a more direct way.

Velcro Fly

I think I'm going to hit 35 before I finish all these sidequests. I'm level 28 and have only completed 10. I hope this is normal because I enjoy doing things besides always going after bosses.

Ferrio

Banned
Finally unlocked online mode. Much better than playing local... playing local with 4 people is a god damned nightmare of loading screens.

Also wish I could respec now, few skills I wanna toss aside.

Ultimadrago

I think I'm going to hit 35 before I finish all these sidequests. I'm level 28 and have only completed 10. I hope this is normal because I enjoy doing things besides always going after bosses.

It was normal for me! I really adoooore the artwork that comes with completed sidequests as well, so that added to my desire to complete them all. You will most likely hit 35 (and gain excess experience for your first Hard run) by the time you finish all the Normal mode sidequests.

Caerith

1. I don't know why or how that happened to you two. I've been playing local co-op for a while and I've never been insta-booted out of a room. We have goofed and left rooms early to which there is no return (similar to other BTUs, so I called no foul there). I don't know what's happening in your situation.

That happens all of the time online, and it's always when someone just rushes out of the room. Might be different from your situation, but the end result is always the same.
Can AI leave rooms? Because we did have two AI members with us but neither my girlfriend nor I pressed left to leave the room.

2. I have brought up how much that sucks as well. The thing is that I'm not positive it will be patched as I believe it's how the game defines one's personal "story." However, without even a handful of unique traits and nuances to specific class/race in terms of story and interaction, it simply comes off as an unnecessary slog. This is especially true when it prevents them from gaining bags (which are important in later levels) if they haven't bought them in their own story first. You can rush through fast since you're at a higher level, but it certainly is an unfortunate design.

That's an especially crummy setup when you want both players playing the same areas and progressing at the same rate.
It's incredibly crummy. The only way around it, I think, is to beat the level with P1, then grab the quests, go back to the tavern, switch the characters, swap controllers, and re-play the level again to complete the quest and story in one go. Now what if I was playing with 4 players in local co-op? I'd seriously need to replay every level 4 times?

It's something Atlus should patch. I mean, it's one thing that each character has to enter the guild and select the quests, but having to replay the entire story? Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm glad I gave this a shot, this has really grown into one of my favorite games this year, especially for co-op. 50 hours later I can't really say I've got any complaints about the controls or grinding or repetitive stages or anything. The gameplay is simple and addictive but crazy and full of stuff going on, the difficulty scales well, and once you get used to it the loot system and dungeon chaining bonuses really make you want to keep going. Getting kinda bummed from early impressions seems ages ago now.

Ultimadrago

How's the online?
Laggy, many people dropping out of games?

I can only speak for myself, but it has been butter smooth on PS3 for me on every online adventure I've been to (which is to say quite a few). I have heard of some bad dropouts though that have caused lost progress for others. I make sure to save right after each dungeon chain or so just in case.

Cryst

While I'm not sure about the solo X boss quests, I do know that you can set the difficulty back down to normal for some quests you've taken in the later difficulties and complete them. I assume it works for everything, unless special items are difficulty locked.

Just chiming in here to confirm that, yes, you can drop the difficulty down and do the solo boss quests. Normal scales you and your gear down to lv35, so while still not difficult, certainly not a cakewalk either. Soloing the Red Dragon in his treasure room is a pain in the ass regardless of difficulty, :p

I can only speak for myself, but it has been butter smooth on PS3 for me on every online adventure I've been to (which is to say quite a few). I have heard of some bad dropouts though that have caused lost progress for others. I make sure to save right after each dungeon chain or so just in case.

The game autosaves when you head back to town.

My experience with losing progress is doing a long chain, getting three new talismans, then running into someone with a poor connection which, for some reason, prompted the game to boot me back to town. Still got all the EXP and loot, but no credit for the talismans. Only happened once.

For the most part, online is great. Put 20 hours in so far, have had perhaps 2-3 laggy hosts.

maomaoIYP

Best camp cookout EVAR.
siot.jpg

Bombless

FINALLY the postman dropped the game at home. Time to install this and get moving! (2 weeks to get the game to Belgium from VG+).

Fistwell

Trying to play online on vita from Europe has been an exercise in (semi) futility so far. Out of many dozens of attempts, was only able to join 1 game. Which lagged like a motherfucker.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh. Just went into negative gold gained on a quest (against
Medusa
). I'm Lv. 20 and doing it by myself would be pretty difficult with the Elf, whereas doing it with the AI partners makes it easier, but they die so damn often that it ends up costing me a mountain of gold just to keep them alive. Bah. =/

Ugh. Just went into negative gold gained on a quest (against
Medusa
). I'm Lv. 20 and doing it by myself would be pretty difficult with the Elf, whereas doing it with the AI partners makes it easier, but they die so damn often that it ends up costing me a mountain of gold just to keep them alive. Bah. =/

Do you have clone strikes and salamander oil, and if so are you using them exclusively with the upward charged shot?

You should be able to melt
Medusa
pretty quickly, even as a level 20 Elf.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Do you have clone strikes and salamander oil, and if so are you using them exclusively with the upward charged shot?

You should be able to melt
Medusa
pretty quickly, even as a level 20 Elf.

I don't, no. Damn...now it feels like I may have invested in the wrong skills. =/

Sanctuary

How does multiplayer work if you only want one friend to join you? I jumped online, started my own game, but had three AI partners and join set to off, yet three other players were able to jump into my game anyway. Was thinking about getting this game for a friend, but I don't want it to constantly be invaded by annoying (not always, but usually) randoms.

I don't, no. Damn...now it feels like I may have invested in the wrong skills. =/

Not necessarily. If you're going for a backstab heavy build I can understand why you may not have those skills at 20.

However, if you're going to be primarily a bow Elf, Salamander Oil and Clone Strikes are a must.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vea9pxUojfY

How does multiplayer work if you only want one friend to join you? I jumped online, started my own game, but had three AI partners and join set to off, yet three other players were able to jump into my game anyway. Was thinking about getting this game for a friend, but I don't want it to constantly be invaded by annoying (not always, but usually) randoms.

Go to the Tavern, pick Choose Allies. Hit triangle on two of the slots (Make sure they say Join Off). Now that you have one slot open, go to either the Stables or the Gate. Have your friend go to the same screen and have him hit start and choose "Join a Friend".

Obviously, he needs to have online unlocked as well.

Sanctuary

Go to the Tavern, pick Choose Allies. Hit triangle on two of the slots (Make sure they say Join Off). Now that you have one slot open, go to either the Stables or the Gate. Have your friend go to the same screen and have him hit start and choose "Join a Friend".

Obviously, he needs to have online unlocked as well.

I had all of them set to off and people were able to jump into my game anyway. What's to stop people from joining in our game? Also, how does he actually join my game if I haven't even left the stables yet? Don't I already have to be in a dungeon? Or does it make him connect to my game (filling the slot) and then he actually joins after I've chosen where to go?

maomaoIYP

Got my sorceress into infernal as well! Last boss wasn't a problem solo, but I couldn't even do the quest to kill the wraith in 2 minutes even with 3 AI buggers.

I had all of them set to off and people were able to jump into my game anyway. What's to stop people from joining in our game? Also, how does he actually join my game if I haven't even left the stables yet? Don't I already have to be in a dungeon? Or does it make him connect to my game (filling the slot) and then he actually joins after I've chosen where to go?

Friends can join you on the Stables or Gate screen. You don't need to be in a dungeon. Also, if you're the host and you have those slots set to off, people shouldn't be able to join. The only thing I can think of is that you let your friend host and he might not have those slots turned off.

derwalde

i love this game, but damn dat framedrops on the vita. even the sound gets disrupted. i wish we had an option to change some of the eyecandy for a few more frames.

im really considering buying the ps3 version. it is completely framedrop-free?

maomaoIYP

i love this game, but damn dat framedrops on the vita. even the sound gets disrupted. i wish we had an option to change some of the eyecandy for a few more frames.

No. If you're playing solo, it's still about 90% frame drop free.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

It drops frames but NO WHERE near as bad

On PS3 the only place I've ever dropped framerate is on the Kraken.

on ps3 I had framedrops when I went online and played with a sorceress and wizard, their spell spam screwed the frame rate. But aside of that everything's been perfect.

Sanctuary

Friends can join you on the Stables or Gate screen. You don't need to be in a dungeon. Also, if you're the host and you have those slots set to off, people shouldn't be able to join. The only thing I can think of is that you let your friend host and he might not have those slots turned off.

Sweet, thanks.

kubricks

Is rapid shot ELF feasible for high level? I am starting one now.
The damage output is only so so against mob as the arrow isn't piecing like charge shot, impact arrow doesn't seem to do much either. Would things get better after I got the salamander oil?

Btw I am staying so long in air with her!
Double jump rapid shot, then normal air attack cancel to rapid shot, launch air attack cancel to rapid shot, normal air attack again cancel to rapid shot, then dodge and cancel to rapid shot, lol... but I am running out of arrow so quickly!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm having a real problem with never finding any Sorceress or Fighter bones. I find TONS of Amazons, Dwarfs, Wizards, and Elfs, but never any of the other two. Kinda sucks.

Yeah it's pretty good. You should probably get it I suppose. So we can play together. Because that's worked out every other time! :lol

Haha. I only Gamefly'd DW8, so that's gone. Still have Warriors Orochi 3 of course. That's on hiatus because I'm pissed off there's Ultimate coming out, and I won't play more until that's out here.

I'll let you know if I pick it up later today and if so, as long as you don't mind me being underleveled, let's actually do it for once ;D

Guuuh. I love you, Hitoshi Sakimoto. I'm never going to get tired of the music in this game. Not a single track that I dislike. There's this one song with this epic percussion solo that reminds me of that guy at the "Symphonic Fantasies" concert that did the solos. I also dig the potion/repair shop music, with the clapping.

Top Bottom