• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Remember in Dragon Age: Origins how, when you finished off an Ogre with a melee character, they would rush up, leap onto it, knock it down, and slay it with a swift strike of their blade? Remember how cool that was and how you wish that was the whole game?

Wish no longer.
So it's like dragon age minus controlling n pc characters? How difficult is it?

Any tips for the first Undead Dragon (I think that's what it's called) you come across in BBI? I am getting absolutely destroyed. I have Dire Gouge which works well if I can actually position myself over the heart, but the grab is weird and it'll often just latch onto one of the legs instead.

So it's like dragon age minus controlling n pc characters? How difficult is it?

No direct NPC controls; the Pawn system is it's own unique beast. It's also more active than Dragon Age, and the beginning is more ruthless. If you're not paying attention you will die and things will go bad.

But after a while you'll figure things out and gain enough power that only post-game stuff will become a serious challenge.

One huge difference between DA and DD is that the former is much more focused on dialog-based roleplaying. DD bothers with very little of that (with the protagonist all but voiceless), though there are some differences in how the game plays out.

No direct NPC controls; the Pawn system is it's own unique beast. It's also more active than Dragon Age, and the beginning is more ruthless. If you're not paying attention you will die and things will go bad.

But after a while you'll figure things out and gain enough power that only post-game stuff will become a serious challenge.

One huge difference between DA and DD is that the former is much more focused on dialog-based roleplaying. DD bothers with very little of that (with the protagonist all but voiceless), though there are some differences in how the game plays out.
Just one more question. Is it as difficult as dark souls?

jonjonaug

Any tips for the first Undead Dragon (I think that's what it's called) you come across in BBI? I am getting absolutely destroyed. I have Dire Gouge which works well if I can actually position myself over the heart, but the grab is weird and it'll often just latch onto one of the legs instead.

If you're having way too much trouble you can always run away. If you're not carrying anything to buff your attack it'll take while to kill, even with attack ratings of 2500+.

The strategy for it is the same as most other dragons. Attack the heart, knock it out of the sky if it flies into the air for bonus damage.

They're two very different games.

As mentioned DD, starts pretty tough but it's never anywhere close to Dark Souls tough. They both do share a love for letting players discover things on their own, though; the pawn system plays a big part in this.

Ronin Ray

How do I go about using you guys pawns? for the record I never used that DLC dress. My ego want let my pawn look like everyone else's.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's funny, I totally think the decisions you make about your character early on in either game are going to determine which feels more difficult right up front. They're incredibly different though. Dragon's Dogma almost feels like a version of Dark Souls you'd find in an arcade. It doesn't have that like completely hopeless sense of dread and panic and helplessness at all times, your character is a much more capable asskicker from the get-go (not that there aren't tense and scary moments, especially re: nighttime, but there of course is another big difference from Dark Souls).

How do I go about using you guys pawns? for the record I never used that DLC dress. My ego want let my pawn look like everyone else's.

Post your Steam ID and/or join the DDDA GAF Steam Group and go on a friending spree if you want the best chances at your pawn being hired.

And as far as using a friend's pawns, just go to a rift stone and filter by Steam friends.
It's funny, I totally think the decisions you make about your character early on in either game are going to determine which feels more difficult right up front. They're incredibly different though. Dragon's Dogma almost feels like a version of Dark Souls you'd find in an arcade. It doesn't have that like completely hopeless sense of dread and panic and helplessness at all times, your character is a much more capable asskicker from the get-go (not that there aren't tense and scary moments, especially re: nighttime, but there of course is another big difference from Dark Souls).
In DDDA you have a lot more control over how you encounter and fight enemies. It's very possible to just limp through all but the hardest enemy encounters with the right strategies. Especially with the right pawns--or knowledgeable/hig-level pawns--as allies.

But yeah, your starting vocation will influence a lot, even though you can easily change vocations early in the game. They all have a very distinct feel.

If you're having way too much trouble you can always run away. If you're not carrying anything to buff your attack it'll take while to kill, even with attack ratings of 2500+.

The strategy for it is the same as most other dragons. Attack the heart, knock it out of the sky if it flies into the air for bonus damage.

Beat it, turns out I was massively overthinking it and all I had to do was stand under the heart and press X a bunch.

It Dragonforged both my weapons, two pieces of armour and my cape! I'm definitely glad I didn't run away.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Welp, just finished the main story and the everfall. Now this game has me questioning everything lol.

Now to restart NG+ and work on BBI.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Alright, I finally finished the Everfall stuff and got the actual ending of the game and, wow what a bunch of god damned nonsense that was.

In NG+ now. How do people get levels in this game after a point? I'm like 70-something now and I want to max out so I don't get rekt in BBI.

Alright, I finally finished the Everfall stuff and got the actual ending of the game and, wow what a bunch of god damned nonsense that was.

In NG+ now. How do people get levels in this game after a point? I'm like 70-something now and I want to max out so I don't get rekt in BBI.
Go to BBI, you'll level quickly there.

It doesn't curbstomp you all the time, just when the new beasties show up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I went to BBI at 42, finished at 71. No idea where this "im 50+ so ill get recked in BBI" myth is coming from.

And im shit.

dcassell

Banned
Jesus. Walking to the other side of the map, I ran into two cyclopses and a chimera, sure that I would die. Somehow, we made it past all of it despite everybody dying several times. After each I went, "Okay, that's gotta be it." Nope.

This game is great. Playing strider has been excellent. I think the fast travel system has made it a little easier than many people say it actually is, but I've also been using pawns a few levels above me (just hit level 23, haven't really done any plot since the first big quest in the capital)

Ceebs

I found out there IS a 21:9 fix out there already.

ddda2016-01-2400-39-3mcklk.png

Does not seem to work with the GeDoSaTo HUDless screenshots though. Also the minimap is sorta broken, but better than nothing I guess.

I went to BBI at 42, finished at 71. No idea where this "im 50+ so ill get recked in BBI" myth is coming from.

And im shit.

There's plenty of stuff that can reck you in BBI but they're mostly optional. The bosses required for progression aren't very hard at all.

On top of that the minimum quality of gear you find in there is better than the best stuff in the main game.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Alright gonna head to BBI. I did a little bit of it but the giant cyclops was too much. Is he optional?

LiQuid!

Alright awesome. Going to intersperse my NG+ with trips into BBI to keep it fresh. Something oddly demeaning about starting a NG+ and getting quests to kill rats and pelicans and shit. I also really miss there being dragons and stuff out in the world. I wish that happened sooner and before the world got all messed up.

Golnei

I also really miss there being dragons and stuff out in the world. I wish that happened sooner and before the world got all messed up.

I liked the way all of that happened as a single large shift instead of something gradual, but I would have liked it if they gave you more to do in the post-dragon world aside from exploring to find the new monster spawns and going through the Everfall/Bitterblack.

It's a shame all of the sidequests were clustered around the beginning of the game, instead of after the point where the world actually starts to approach being interesting.

Lagamorph

Is there an easy way to get Ferrystones? I've planted one of the fast trav crystals just outside Gran Soren, but so far I've only come across a single ferrystone (and only a single one of the fast travel crystals). I'm starting to find walking back and forth between the Gran Soren area and the encampment area to be a bit cumbersome.

Messiah

Is there an easy way to get Ferrystones? I've planted one of the fast trav crystals just outside Gran Soren, but so far I've only come across a single ferrystone (and only a single one of the fast travel crystals). I'm starting to find walking back and forth between the Gran Soren area and the encampment area to be a bit cumbersome.

Access your storage from the Gran Soren Inn and grab your eternal ferrystone, which works endlessly.

Check your storage, You should have gotten an eternal ferrystone that has unlimited uses.

LiQuid!

I liked the way all of that happened as a single large shift instead of something gradual, but I would have liked it if they gave you more to do in the post-dragon world aside from exploring to find the new monster spawns and going through the Everfall/Bitterblack.

It's a shame all of the sidequests were clustered around the beginning of the game, instead of after the point where the world actually starts to approach being interesting.

Yeah the game definitely could have used more direction in spots. Friend who gifted me the game was telling me about all the stuff I missed because the game does kind of bad job telling you where to go at times, like apparently there is a followup to the knight lady after she gets rekt in her duel with French Guy but it was in the Abbey, which is a place I saw once pretty early in the game then was given no real reason to return to. Post-dragon I hit all the major dungeons and found some new monster spawns, but I was told to do that by players, not the game. If I had listened to the game I would have spent an hour or two in Everfall, gotten my 20 wakestones and just been done with it.

It's cool that the game rewards you choosing to explore it rather than being handheld, which is nice for repeated and extended replays, but I think they really could have done a Skyrim style system where a random courier would hand you a note that said, hey go check out [dungeon X], dummy!

ugoo18

Is there anyway to fast travel in this or at least move faster. Moving between areas is an absolute chore with the game's movement speed and your MC's stamina dying in short order.

Golnei

Is there anyway to fast travel in this or at least move faster. Moving between areas is an absolute chore with the game's movement speed and your MC's stamina dying in short order.

The Eternal Ferrystone added to your inventory upon speaking with the Gran Soren innkeeper gives you unlimited fast travel between the two cities and up to 10 portcrystals you can manually place, which you'll come across in the course of the story.

Switching to normal mode from hard mode doesn't reset quest progress right?

No; though you won't be able to switch back to Hard without starting again.

Slygmous

I'm supposed to be finishing Witcher 3 but I can't put this down. I already finished this game twice on the 360 years ago why can't I stop..

I recruited a pawn named Butts, does he belong to anybody here?
I could shoot a goblin from afar and he would take credit for it. He has a fitting name.

Get eternal ferry stone from storage at Gran Soren, then find port crystals to put down.

edit: too slow

Sarcasm

The Eternal Ferrystone added to your inventory upon speaking with the Gran Soren innkeeper gives you unlimited fast travel between the two cities and up to 10 portcrystals you can manually place, which you'll come across in the course of the story.

No; though you won't be able to switch back to Hard without starting again.

As much as I am enjoying HM it looks like I need to switch to NM and keep it for NGF+.

I am lvl 27 (or higher) with rank 3 in strider and assassin while rank 10 ranger. I haven't done the last main quest in stage 1 (pawn guild one) but I have done many - including the quarry one.

I was able to fight all three ogres and clear that quest. Done many quests. But bandits wreck me. Trying to do the last few quests I have before going into stage 2, this one which is the tome one. I can't do it.

So yeah I will miss the gold intake but I am sure that is fine! Just as long as I can keep my quest progress and kill the freaking bandits.

My pawn has bought it on 6 consecutive rentals. Three are from the same user so she must be doing something right.

Beat BBI on hard. I think I was high 80s or low 90s. I have been playing no wakestones so I had a lot in storage that I broke out for the end fight.

Can't wait to start using Magick Archer. I've been leveling up these other vocations to get their Augments. I'm making a STR based MA since I want to do an Immolation build where I climb and set things on fire.

Is there any way to get rid of drenched or poison rather than waiting it out?

use certain curatives some specific ones for poison or a multi-cure called panacea or something. water/drenched apply a cloth.

you also get equipment/rings which give anti-poison etc. 100% protection at end game for a lot of things with the right gear/rings.

ExoSoul

Banned
okay, Reynard just wont give me the search party quest and I don't know what to do.

I've bought a million things from him all in separate transactions and he just refuses.

Anyone know if there is anything else you need to do?

(I'm in the middle of doing trials and tribulations at the moment)

Make sure to completely back out from his dialog and not just his store.
Unless you start a new conversation each time you buy it won't count.
can't remember if it was like this on consoles but that's how it is now

Corpekata

Banned
You aren't getting Search Party because Reynard is involved in Trials and Tribulations. Deselect it from your current quest and he'll give it to you. There's a few other quests like that that if you have another quest involving them active when talking to people, they won't give you their own quests.

JimPanzer

no luck at all with BBI gear :( should I just farm the spot with the large amount of chests behind the door after the tower in the second stratum?

ezekial45

Banned
What's a good way to get EXP and gold? I'm at lvl 58, and I'm kinda struggling in BBI. I had to run from the Eliminator, and I had to bail on the Inquisitor fight. I went through the Everfall for a bit, but it's kinda tough when they through large spawns at you.

Lanrutcon

no luck at all with BBI gear :( should I just farm the spot with the large amount of chests behind the door after the tower in the second stratum?

Which level of BBI gear are you at? Level 1 you get from the start, level 2 you get after killing the Bishop. Consider using these maps:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Bitterblack_Isle

What's a good way to get EXP and gold? I'm at lvl 58, and I'm kinda struggling in BBI. I had to run from the Eliminator, and I had to bail on the Inquisitor fight. I went through the Everfall for a bit, but it's kinda tough when they through large spawns at you.

Large spawns are the way to level. I'd suggest you read up on how to kill large monsters with your vocation of choice. Are you in post game? as in, have you killed the dragon?

If so, there are several high level dragonkin and aerial monsters that now inhabit the world in set locations. Set some porta crystals near there, and go hunt them. They give great xp, some more than others. I'd suggest using a Weal item on those that give more xp. Some vendors sell Weal items postgame. For quick kills, stack 4 damage periapts. Resting 7 days respawns them all. Some locations to visit:

- Watergod Cave
- Bluemoon tower
- Extermination Site
- SE of Hillfigure Knoll
- W of Gran Soren
- Devilfire Grove
- Conquerer's Sanctuary

For gold sell all the wakestones you find in Everfall. The place is a wakestone factory, no need to hang on to them. They go for 30k a piece and if you have a sorcerer or 2 you can get a bit more with Suasion. Running from Eliminator kind of makes sense since the first one you see is in such an enclosed space. The best thing you can do is get yourself some better weapons. There's a couple vendors in Everfall that sell the some of the best non-BBI gear. Get kitted out there then give BBI another shot.

Once your gear is good enough to kill stuff you'll start leveling like crazy.

Top Bottom