• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Indignate

I was able to fight all three ogres and clear that quest. Done many quests. But bandits wreck me. Trying to do the last few quests I have before going into stage 2, this one which is the tome one. I can't do it.

So yeah I will miss the gold intake but I am sure that is fine! Just as long as I can keep my quest progress and kill the freaking bandits.

Bandits continue to wreck throughout the game on a fresh hard mode run. I'm above level 60, on the penultimate quest, and they're still one shotting me. Much scarier than chimeras and cockatrice and whatever the hell else.

JimPanzer

Which level of BBI gear are you at? Level 1 you get from the start, level 2 you get after killing the Bishop. Consider using these maps:

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Bitterblack_Isle

I don't have any BBI gear. I'm fully equipped with dragonforged pre-everfall gear (no access to everfall, because I'm at NG+). All I get from chests are rings and other useless crap :/

I'm at the point where you have to get the second void key, with all the fire saurians around

Having spent a bit more time with Sorcerer I'm still flabbergasted at how insanely powerful it is. Granted my first exposure to the class was with one of the strongest staffs in the game but the stuff that gave me a hard time with my Assassin I'm killing in the one spell sometimes. Like the eliminator, terrifying game of masterful kills with my assassin. Instead here I can drop a maelstrom between 2 of them and that's that. I went to that room with 2 prisoner Gorecyclops, giceled their helmets off and dropped a direct contact maelstrom when one fell to the ground. That one spell ate 6 bars of health, God damn!

Not really a fan of them outside of the big spells though and the exclusion of a holy attack. Using the charged shot can get tedious.

Lanrutcon

I don't have any BBI gear. I'm fully equipped with dragonforged pre-everfall gear (no access to everfall, because I'm at NG+). All I get from chests are rings and other useless crap :/

I'm at the point where you have to get the second void key, with all the fire saurians around

Righto. So most of the good stuff is a low % chance. So if you desperately want stuff, save in front of a chest, open it, reload if it isn't what you want.

So if you want a weapon: you should have found the Fortress of Remembrance by now. It has 1 door in, 3 doors out. 1 of those doors is where the second void key is, 1 of those doors is where you use the second void key and the third is where the money is. It leads to the Black Abbey, an arena style map. At the north end of the map are 2 chests in an alcove. The left chest of the two has a chance to contain BBI level 2 armor and weapons. I'd get the weapon first.

Enter the Black Abbey, check what's in the arena, if you can't kill it then exit and re-enter to get a new set of enemies. Do this until you find something you can kill. Then go save in front of the chest and reload until you get a BBI level 2 weapon. Lifestone out, go rest 7 days, repeat. Yes, this is what I did a bunch of times when I was at your point in the game.

I would not farm level 2 armor just yet, as that becomes super easy once you've killed the Bishop, and you just need a weapon to do so. I highly recommend fighting the Bishop as a ranged class.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I would not farm level 2 armor just yet, as that becomes super easy once you've killed the Bishop, and you just need a weapon to do so. I highly recommend fighting the Bishop as a ranged class.
It's not that bad without ranged. If you
take down his pet Cursed Dragon, Papa Emeritus is gonna fall down and you get tons of free hits on him. :)

JimPanzer

Righto. So most of the good stuff is a low % chance. So if you desperately want stuff, save in front of a chest, open it, reload if it isn't what you want.

So if you want a weapon: you should have found the Fortress of Remembrance by now. It has 1 door in, 3 doors out. 1 of those doors is where the second void key is, 1 of those doors is where you use the second void key and the third is where the money is. It leads to the Black Abbey, an arena style map. At the north end of the map are 2 chests in an alcove. The left chest of the two has a chance to contain BBI level 2 armor and weapons. I'd get the weapon first.

Enter the Black Abbey, check what's in the arena, if you can't kill it then exit and re-enter to get a new set of enemies. Do this until you find something you can kill. Then go save in front of the chest and reload until you get a BBI level 2 weapon. Lifestone out, go rest 7 days, repeat. Yes, this is what I did a bunch of times when I was at your point in the game.

thanks a lot! guess my afternoon plans are settled :) I'm a ranger, so Bishop should be doable.

Blitzhex

What's a good way to get EXP and gold? I'm at lvl 58, and I'm kinda struggling in BBI. I had to run from the Eliminator, and I had to bail on the Inquisitor fight. I went through the Everfall for a bit, but it's kinda tough when they through large spawns at you.

Do ur-dragon offline. It took me two minutes to kill as sorc with holy affinity charged blast and x4 demons periphats. Each kill gives 2 levels (4lvls with double xp periphat) and drops a weapon that sells for 500k and drops 20 wakestones that sell for 30k each.
Totals to around 1.1mill gold and 2 levels for 2 mins of work. If you aren't a sorc or take 10 minute to kill it, it's still worth it.

There is a working 21:9 fix available on the steam forums

https://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/0/451850849198827459/

Woah, awesome. Going to try this asap when I get home.

I just had a ridiculous fight in The Rotunda of Dread against an Evil Eye, first it went completely invisible for a minute and then it kept portaling around the arena until it eventually ported backwards off of the cliff near the stairs and died.

Lanrutcon

Holy mother of all that is broken.

Just gave the Ranger + 4 conquest + gold Revenant + blast arrows + ten fold spam a try. It's absolutely nuts. Killed Death in seconds. Wth.

yamo

Arisen going down on a Succubus while the pawns kick ass! :D

uXFb.png

ExoSoul

Banned
Feel free to rent her, she's a level 98 warrior called Equirah, all golden forged.

Cheers!

Any idea where I can get more of the crystals that you plant to give you fast travel points? Or do you only get one of them?

You find some following the main quests but in NG+ they become available for purchase at the black cat. Forgeries are 50% more expensive and won't work.

Messiah

Cheers!

Any idea where I can get more of the crystals that you plant to give you fast travel points? Or do you only get one of them?

You should encounter them when progressing the main story, they are all located on different places throughout the world.

On the bright side, the way monster hunter handles online,the way it prioritizes, does give me reasonable hope for dd online.

But MH has at most 4 players IIRC, while DDO has at least 8, if not more. Might not seem like much of a difference, until you remember that intercommunication scales quadratically.

And, let's not mince words, free-to-play online games make me skeptical by default. Prejudice? Maybe, but I've only seen one game pull it off, and it had a perfect storm of conditions (building out of a relative success from years of being buy-to-play, for one), none of which apply here.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Having spent a bit more time with Sorcerer I'm still flabbergasted at how insanely powerful it is. Granted my first exposure to the class was with one of the strongest staffs in the game but the stuff that gave me a hard time with my Assassin I'm killing in the one spell sometimes. Like the eliminator, terrifying game of masterful kills with my assassin. Instead here I can drop a maelstrom between 2 of them and that's that. I went to that room with 2 prisoner Gorecyclops, giceled their helmets off and dropped a direct contact maelstrom when one fell to the ground. That one spell ate 6 bars of health, God damn!

Not really a fan of them outside of the big spells though and the exclusion of a holy attack. Using the charged shot can get tedious.

I love sorcerer a lot too. If Mystic Knight wasn't in this game I would be Sorc full time. I've kind of found some fights tho it's just so hard to consistently do damage with a sorcerer, but I haven't experimented with all of their highest level spells. I find even with Wyrmking ring and the aug that increases casting speed, sometimes those highest tier spells are just too hard to channel.

Lagamorph

Cheers for the advice guys.

One issue I'm having on my laptop though, the game wont launch whenever Vsync is turned on in the in-game settings. If I try to launch it, the game just hangs at a black screen with a mouse pointer, then I get an error if I alt+tab out. If I go into the config file though and turn Vsync off, the game launches fine. Then I can turn it on again in-game (which I absolutely have to otherwise the screen tearing is atrocious). I've tried leaving it disabled and forcing Vsync through Nvidia control panel, but that didn't seem to make any difference. I still got the screen tearing at the very least.

Venfayth

Postgame spoilers and question:

So I fucking let fournival get arrested somehow DAMMIT!

I've been doing postgame stuff but the lack of a constant flow of periapts and EXP charms and mushroom potage really sucks. Is it worth it to do NG+ just to save Fournival?

Amneisac

I don't know, I'm trying really hard to get into this game, I've put 5 hours into it, and I just can't.

I feel like there must be things I don't understand about the pawn system, or skills or something because I'm finding the game incredibly difficult. I'm just trying to do the first quest you get after finding the capital city (to go to a bandit's hideout and find a tome) and on the way I run into a Chimera, a pack of wolves, and some bandits all at the same time. I can get maybe the snake head down, but there seems to be some sort of monster closet where enemies just pour at me constantly even after I keep killing the minor mobs.

Just when I'm making some progress I'll get one shot by a fireball from a bandit mage I couldn't see because he was behind me, or something similar.

Are pawns better than others? Should I be putting gear on them? There's a game in here that I want to enjoy, but I'm just really don't like the pawn system at all. I'd rather just play solo or with one companion than have to worry about all these extra NPCs and all the annoyances that go along with the extra inventory management, etc.

Lyonaz

Metal Golems are awesome, I fought one and he killed himself by smashing the last glowing emblem medal thingy, I was almost dead too.

Arisen going down on a Succubus while the pawns kick ass! :D

LMAO, she's even on her period too! What a trooper.

Ryne

I don't know, I'm trying really hard to get into this game, I've put 5 hours into it, and I just can't.

I feel like there must be things I don't understand about the pawn system, or skills or something because I'm finding the game incredibly difficult. I'm just trying to do the first quest you get after finding the capital city (to go to a bandit's hideout and find a tome) and on the way I run into a Chimera, a pack of wolves, and some bandits all at the same time. I can get maybe the snake head down, but there seems to be some sort of monster closet where enemies just pour at me constantly even after I keep killing the minor mobs.

Just when I'm making some progress I'll get one shot by a fireball from a bandit mage I couldn't see because he was behind me, or something similar.

Are pawns better than others? Should I be putting gear on them? There's a game in here that I want to enjoy, but I'm just really don't like the pawn system at all. I'd rather just play solo or with one companion than have to worry about all these extra NPCs and all the annoyances that go along with the extra inventory management, etc.
There are two options for that quest, try going to the second one.

As for pawn gear, the only person who gets gear is my main pawn. Pawns I rent from other players come with gear and if you give them any you can't get it back iirc.

Just make sure the pawns you rent have useful spells/skills and are fairly well equipped with good inclinations.

jonjonaug

Postgame spoilers and question:

So I fucking let fournival get arrested somehow DAMMIT!

I've been doing postgame stuff but the lack of a constant flow of periapts and EXP charms and mushroom potage really sucks. Is it worth it to do NG+ just to save Fournival?

Yes, particularly is you want to do BBI content. If you have a proper portcrystal setup the game is like one hour long on NG+ anyway. Just take a bit of extra time to do Madeline's stuff if you care about the things she sells.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, particularly is you want to do BBI content. If you have a proper portcrystal setup the game is like one hour long on NG+ anyway. Just take a bit of extra time to do Madeline's stuff if you care about the things she sells.
So you retain portcrystals in NG+?

Feel free to rent her, she's a level 98 warrior called Equirah, all golden forged.

You find some following the main quests but in NG+ they become available for purchase at the black cat. Forgeries are 50% more expensive and won't work.

Quick question

Is it possible to beat the game solo (without pawns)

Sarcasm

Thinking of going down to normal mode. Having fun, killed three ogres!

But those bandits. I swear it takes me 20 retries to kill them.

Shengar

Thinking of going down to normal mode. Having fun, killed three ogres!

But those bandits. I swear it takes me 20 retries to kill them.

I can drain a cyclops lifebar with a single High Levin on its eye but barely scratch bandits with shield. WTF capcpom

c0Zm1c

I saw someone post a list of the best inclinations for each vocation, any help finding it again?

This?

For those wondering about inclinations, these are what imo are the best ones for each vocation:

Fighter: scather, mitigator, challenger, utilitarian - this makes them focus on strong enemies first
Warrior: challenger, mitigator, scather, pioneer - this makes it draw the most aggro
Strider: scather, utilitarian, mitigator, challenger - same as fighter, but will also make full use of climbing
Ranger: utilitarian, guardian, mitigator, scather - guardian might seem odd here, but it will keep the ranger close to you if you are ranged as well, making it use it's most powerful skills, just switch guardian with scather if you are melee
Mage: utilitarian, medicant, nexus - this will make a mage actually buff others instead of just healing.
Sorceror: scather, mitigator, utilitarian - just kill everything.

Though eventually it won't really matter what the inclination is, the bestiary overrides a lot of stuff.

Blitzhex

I like the wide angle, but now the HUD looks off since it doesn't stick to the borders and rather stays in place as if it was still 16:9.

I've become used to both 16:9 and 21:9 ui placement, having played multiple games at this aspect ratio. Don't mind either anymore. 16:9 ui keeps it more in focus, so it's more useful in something like csgo where you need to see the minimap constantly.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I was just redoing the retake Shadow Fort quest on NG+, I decided to see how life was like in the goblin caves and I made myself a hobbit!

Playing like that's actually kind of fun/hilarious. Having the freedom to remake your character on a whim is the way this game should have been from minute one. In fact, all RPGs need to be like this forever. Take notes Bethesda!

Lanrutcon

I was just redoing the retake Shadow Fort quest on NG+, I decided to see how life was like in the goblin caves and I made myself a hobbit!

Playing like that's actually kind of fun/hilarious. Having the freedom to remake your character on a whim is the way this game should have been from minute one. In fact, all RPGs need to be like this forever. Take notes Bethesda!

Why would Bethesda do that? They're lazy as shit. They'll just wait for the modders to do it for them.

DD bothers with very little of that (with the protagonist all but voiceless), though there are some differences in how the game plays out.

Finish the game twice, but before you head towards the end, switch to offline mode ;].

I went to BBI at 42, finished at 71. No idea where this "im 50+ so ill get recked in BBI" myth is coming from.

And im shit.

Didn't you go in as a magick archer though? That class makes things a lot easier.

Top Bottom