• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

Got to Ever fall for the first time last night. I was pretty confused at what was happening for a good 20 minutes but I'm getting the hang of it now. Excited to go back in later tonight and explore more.

Btw, is your main pawns' gear supposed to get dragon forged as well? My pawn died seconds before I killed the dragon and worried my pawn missed out. ;-(

Ferr986

Got to Ever fall for the first time last night. I was pretty confused at what was happening for a good 20 minutes but I'm getting the hang of it now. Excited to go back in later tonight and explore more.

Btw, is your main pawns' gear supposed to get dragon forged as well? My pawn died seconds before I killed the dragon and worried my pawn missed out. ;-(

Only the arisen equipment can get dragonforged.

Only equipment on your character has a chance to be D-forged. When fighting a dragon enemy I used to switch gear before the deathblow because of this.

Sanctuary

So what are some good mods and skills for a really good MA and MK builds?

I'm a little confused at what to get, so far the MK is just OP.

Would have replied to this earlier, but was out of town, preparing to come home.
Both vocations can benefit greatly from some of the same augments:

1. Sinew (any vocation seriously)
2. Bloodlust
3. Acuity
4. Clout
5. Articulacy (works for both vocations, but the MK gets way more use out of it)
6. Vehemence/Attunement/Bastion/Perpetiuation (MK buffs)/Prescience (if you want to kill easier with MK shield blocks)
*Temerity once it unlocks can be useful

Both Acuity and Clout could be considered situational. Are you making a balanced (generally better IMO) build, or are you focusing on strictly magic, or strictly melee damage? The MK can focus more on physical damage easier compared to the MA, even though the MA dagger skills are still very useful, and still have a physical (usually split damage unless you are using non magical daggers) component to them, especially when using Immolation; which seems like it would be magic based, but it's not.

For MA skills, it depends on what part of the game you're on. Outside of BBI, they are simply "okay", and they don't really get "good" until after you beat at least the first boss of the main game due to shit itemization before BBI. Typically you would want:

Bow
1. Sixfold
2. Exploding Rivet
3. Hunter Bolt (generally useful outside, and totally WRECKS offline Ur-Dragon)

Once you hit BBI though (although it's "okay" in select vanilla dungeons too) you instantly grab Ricochet Hunter and ditch Hunter Bolt. One of the most broken abilities to use there.

Dagger

1. Cutting Wind
2. Hundred Kisses
3. Sunflare until Immolation

Lately though I've not been using Hundred Kisses and instead Magic Rebalancer (you can double your magic damage with it). Cutting Wind and Immolation are just too useful to get rid of too in comparison. Immolation coupled with your basic light attack seems to do more damage than just Hundred Kisses on bosses anyway. Immolation and Hundred Kisses together would do even more, but you would need to drop Cutting Wind, which is just too useful, even if only for movement or escaping. Normally it's your melee oriented way to deal with multiple creatures at once, and with Immolation up, you can set most of them on fire at once.

Staff
Doesn't matter really.
1.Grand Ingle for hapries.
2. High Brontide? It's *kind of* useful for areas where Ricochet Hunter can't really bounce. Or just High Levin.

Also, as annoying as it is to do, it would serve you greatly to focus leveling up the MA with mixed levels of Fighter, Warrior, Sorcerer, Strider and Ranger (or Assassin) if you're going for a balanced build. Even if you were focusing more on one damage type over another, you still are going to want the stamina that the Ranger (Assassin) and Strider provide. If you just wanted to be super lazy too, you could just do something like 100 levels of Assassin, then 100 levels of Sorcerer.

https://stackoverflow.github.io/dragons-dogma-stat-planner/

Going beyond level 100 though is mostly just to min/max for online Ur-Dragon. Once you finish BBI (between level 70 - 90) and have it on farm, leveling up more just quickens your kill speed, or helps survivability. It'ss unneccessary though aside from having more stamina, and having to rely less on stamina consumables.

Would have replied to this earlier, but was out of town, preparing to come home.
Both vocations can benefit greatly from some of the same augments:

1. Sinew (any vocation seriously)
2. Bloodlust
3. Acuity
4. Clout
5. Articulacy (works for both vocations, but the MK gets way more use out of it)
6. Vehemence/Attunement/Bastion/Perpetiuation (MK buffs)/Prescience (if you want to kill easier with MK shield blocks)
*Temerity once it unlocks can be useful

Both Acuity and Clout could be considered situational. Are you making a balanced (generally better IMO) build, or are you focusing on strictly magic, or strictly melee damage? The MK can focus more on physical damage easier compared to the MA, even though the MA dagger skills are still very useful, and still have a physical (usually split damage unless you are using non magical daggers) component to them, especially when using Immolation; which seems like it would be magic based, but it's not.

For MA skills, it depends on what part of the game you're on. Outside of BBI, they are simply "okay", and they don't really get "good" until after you beat at least the first boss of the main game due to shit itemization before BBI. Typically you would want:

Bow
1. Sixfold
2. Exploding Rivet
3. Hunter Bolt (generally useful outside, and totally WRECKS Ur-Dragon)

Once you hit BBI though (although it's "okay" in select vanilla dungeons too) you instantly grab Ricochet Hunter and ditch Hunter Bolt. One of the most broken abilities to use there.

Dagger

1. Cutting Wind
2. Hundred Kisses
3. Sunflare until Immolation

Lately though I've not been using Hundred Kisses and instead Magic Rebalancer (you can double your magic damage with it). Cutting Wind and Immolation are just too useful to get rid of too in comparison. Immolation coupled with your basic light attack seems to do more damage than just Hundred Kisses on bosses anyway. Immolation and Hundred Kisses together would do even more, but you would need to drop Cutting Wind, which is just too useful, even if only for movement or escaping. Normally it's your melee oriented way to deal with multiple creatures at once, and with Immolation up, you can set most of them on fire at once.

Staff
Doesn't matter really.
1.Grand Ingle for hapries.
2. High Brontide? It's *kind of* useful for areas where Ricochet Hunter can't really bounce. Or just High Levin.

Honestly I am more of a balanced player, in some other games I can be a bit of a min/max kind of guy but for the most part I just play the game and go for balance.

This game is a bit of a mystery as to how the stats work.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Man, an Eliminator just suicide-charged me and Arya off a bridge. What an asshat! Sorry for the 3* ratings Armdog.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
After spending a little time as a ranger I'm starting to get the feeling that not spending any significant amount of time as the yellow vocations during my first 130 levels has gimped my ability to do damage as them now. The bow I got has ice element on it, so I could just be getting crappy results trying to use it against resistant enemies, but even just comparing my own stats to pawns my level wielding the same bow, their STR numbers are considerably higher than mine. My magic on the other hand is a few hundred higher than theirs, but that doesn't seem to be helping me at all.

I think I need to reserve judgment until I can get a purely physical bow, but things are not looking good. I might have to just stick to wizarding and the like.
Sounds like you need to look into magick bows!

But note that several lv.2 weapons are underwhelming, especially the physical bows. The ice longbow isn't too bad against, say, Gorecyclops and other enemies weak to it, but I've always found the Dragon's Ire to be underwhelming myself, using a balanced build of my own. However, the lv.2 magick bow was pretty decent and I did well with it (until I got the lv.3 and now annihilate everything xD), but that might be because I had good rings too, turning sixfolt into ninebolt and turning Explosive Rivet into Explosive Volley.

There's also a decent lv.2 dagger when silver-dragonforged (Helmbarte), as I said. I killed the last BBI boss's second form in seconds with it once I managed to grab the weak spot and spam 4x periapt'ed Thousand Kisses. With the Framae Blades I got after, it's of course even faster. On the other hand, I seem to recall Sapfire Daggers kind of sucking? Maybe they're good vs Cursed Dragon though. But I didn't get them this time around, so I'm not 100% sure.

Hmm. I agree with the bow skills but I dropped Cutting Wind on my MA in favour of Thousand Kisses, Immolation, and Instant Reset, and I don't miss it one bit. Instant Reset has been way, way more useful than Cutting Wind to me. Small mobs of enemies? Who cares, pawns take care of them pretty well usually, if not, I can just spam regular magick bow shots too. And Thousand Kisses is just, well, the boss nuke.

For Strider, I'd go Thousand Kisses, Helm Splitter (the other boss nuke) and Instant Reset.
Assassin; Thousand Kisses, Gale Harness, Instant Reset. Though I could probably replace Wind Harness for Cutting/Biting Wind I guess.
For a Ranger there's no special dagger skill so I'd keep it along with Thousand Kisses and Instant Reset.

Just can't let go of Reset though. It's so gamebreaking. :D

Also, as annoying as it is to do, it would serve you greatly to focus leveling up the MA with mixed levels of Fighter, Warrior, Sorcerer, Strider and Ranger (or Assassin) if you're going for a balanced build.
Honestly that's what I did (though I was also MK for a while, since I enjoy that) and my MA right now is incredibly powerful. I didn't find it annoying at all, because I enjoy mixing things up, but ultimately it's nice to be able to take hits, spam enough shots, etc. without using so many consumables, and still do very good damage with both magick bow and daggers.

I'm not even level 200 yet, and my pawn handles himself better than some level 200 pawns who are so squishy I am constantly reviving them. The worst are min-maxed sorcerer pawns, sure they got high magick but die way before even casting one of their big impressive spell. Yawn.

Min maxing is for suckers. Wow playing 100 levels at the same thing just so you have a slight damage boost on some boss? Ridiculous. And the rewards dropped by the online Ur-Dragon pale compare to BBI loot. So yeah... I don't see the point at all.

Honestly I am more of a balanced player, in some other games I can be a bit of a min/max kind of guy but for the most part I just play the game and go for balance.

This game is a bit of a mystery as to how the stats work.
For this game, you are playing it 100% right. Don't worry about stat growth. I never paid attention to it and I can still wreck bosses. It's mostly about gear.

Overside

Banned
Metal Dogma

TCGb.jpg

Also Rudy ENB continues to amaze

The best part of this picture is that your arisen is posing for it.

Sanctuary

Just can't let go of Reset though. It's so gamebreaking. :D

I just don't understand the hype. I've tried using it, and each time it was like "So what, I can just dodge instead?".

Honestly that's what I did (though I was also MK for a while, since I enjoy that) and my MA right now is incredibly powerful. I didn't find it annoying at all, because I enjoy mixing things up, but ultimately it's nice to be able to take hits, spam enough shots, etc. without using so many consumables, and still do very good damage with both magick bow and daggers.

What I mean by annoying is if you don't even really want to play those classes. So you've tried them, but you want to go back to your [whatever you were focusing on], but are still wanting their stat growths. Once you near the next level up, you always have to go back and switch classes, go kill a few enemies, then switch back to your favored class. It can be a pain when you don't know exactly how much certain bosses or quest rewards are going to give, and you end up leveling up as a class with kind of shit stats (MA/MK), or if you were trying to prgress through BBI, but each time you reach a new portion, whoops, time to go swtich classes! It's not going to ruin what you were going for if it's only every now and then, but it still gets tiresome. The game isn't even so hard that you need to bother switching for stats at all, but everyone can use more stamina (plus, just seeing what you can do against Ur-Dragon can be fun for some too). Carrying around a bunch of Mushroom Pottages gets old too.

Lanrutcon

I just don't understand the hype. I've tried using it, and each time it was like "So what, I can just dodge instead?".

Reset is used to end animations after they've done their thing, but before the animation has run its course.

Like...when you're falling through the air after being knocked back or over or just before hitting the ground after Skullbreaker to skip the landing animation. Canceling dodge rolls just after the invulnerability frames, breaking out of stuns and staggers, jump manipulation (you can instantly reset a double jump to launch into other aerial skills to get even more height).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Yep this.

You can cancel most of the irritating stun/knockback type of animations that enemies, including large bosses, inflict on you. Including when you climb a monster and they fling you off (whether by shaking you off or by, say, casting Levin on you and the lightning bolt knocks you off). Of course, ideally you would use Reset to avoid that by quickly ungrabbing and re-grabbing, but if you miss you can still use Reset to recover quickly.

Every time you fall, even from great height, you can completely cancel the fall recovery (including the "splat" that damages you from high falls; you still take the damage but get up instantly) if you press the button early enough.

Instant Reset makes you the supreme tank, in a way, because almost nothing can ever stagger you. And you can also cancel a Thousand Kisses that whiff on a moving enemy, like, say, an Ogre or Eliminator. And of course cancelling lantern animations and plenty of other perks like that.

The only one I've not managed to reset is the wind blast from dragon flapping their wings. But I might just be missing the timing.

What I mean by annoying is if you don't even really want to play those classes. So you've tried them, but you want to go back to your [whatever you were focusing on], but are still wanting their stat growths. Once you near the next level up, you always have to go back and switch classes, go kill a few enemies, then switch back to your favored class. It can be a pain when you don't know exactly how much certain bosses or quest rewards are going to give, and you end up leveling up as a class with kind of shit stats (MA/MK), or if you were trying to prgress through BBI, but each time you reach a new portion, whoops, time to go swtich classes! It's not going to ruin what you were going for if it's only every now and then, but it still gets tiresome. The game isn't even so hard that you need to bother switching for stats at all, but everyone can use more stamina (plus, just seeing what you can do against Ur-Dragon can be fun for some too). Carrying around a bunch of Mushroom Pottages gets old too.
Meh I never worry about that at all. I just switch back and forth to mix it up as I go and I got powerful characters regardless.

bati

What's the best main char/pawn combination to maximize the chances of getting a magical bow from purification? Ranger/Ranger or MA/ranger?

Lanrutcon

What's the best main char/pawn combination to maximize the chances of getting a magical bow from purification? Ranger/Ranger or MA/ranger?

[Ranger/Strider] + [Ranger/Strider]

The ideal formula is Yellow Vocation + Yellow Vocation.

Magic Archers are Blue/Yellow, so they muck things up. The Blackwing Bow is classed as a yellow item.

IIRC the weapon is set when it is created so you just need to make sure you are both yellow. Rangers or Striders or a combo of both. Hybrid classes add uncertainty to the process.

Cyrano

Weapons still determine damage output far more than stat growths will. Could also mod your game and try static stat growths so all chars receive the same.

Here's my version:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/3k7avoevtgb6qrw/Static_Stat_Growths_Dragons_Dogma.zip

AcAnchoa

I'll finish the main quest tomorrow, if I'm not mistaken. If anything, I regret doing every sidequest I could find, this last portion of the game I've been feeling way too overleveled. I suppose post-game will chage this.

For this game, you are playing it 100% right. Don't worry about stat growth. I never paid attention to it and I can still wreck bosses. It's mostly about gear.

Well, at least I know I am playing this right lol.

So far I've concentrated on buying good gear and upgrading it, I got a super powerful magic bow from the Black Cat that is pretty nice and looks a lot like something out of Bleach:The Anime.

Miff

Playing BBI whilst wearing really good headphones, with the volume turned up, and a slightly underlevelled team is amazing. Nicely immersive, it's my new favourite way to play.

Dropped a load and ran for my pawn's life when giant black wolf Garm? spawned for the first time and launched itself at me. Crept back in a state of paranoia, and eventually sniped him using pillars as cover. Later Warriors' Respite music was oh so sweet. Good times.

Ferr986

Ok got the Ranger bow. I also goldforged too.

Yeah forget what i said earlier. No need for blast arrows. At lvl 100 I'm already stunlocking the shit out of Awakened Daimon just with periapts lol

I mean honestly unless you plan to roll Assassin from 11-200, the stats really aren't going to matter much in the end.

I finished an escort mission to Prayer Falls. Its starting to get dark but I head over to The Abbey in-case anything is going on there. On the way out its pitch black and since I just switched to Magic Archer I thrown out a Magickal Flare to reveal:

8217E560B8A2FC5929C6E4C6DCE910199D602DE7

The goddam undead horde. Real dark nights is one the best features on this game.

Cyrano

Ok got the Ranger bow. I also goldforged too.

Yeah forget what i said earlier. No need for blast arrows. At lvl 100 I'm already stunlocking the shit out of Awakened Daimon just with periapts lol
Yeah, periapts are the way to beat the tougher bosses. Once you scale past their defense it's all downhill.

ExoSoul

Banned

Cyrano

Yeah, once you have one copy of an item, you can infinitely forge usable copies of the item at The Black Cat. You only need to have one of any given item on hand to make copies too.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dragon's Dogma, where acceptable farming is running back and forth between the inn and the dude that makes copies of monster pelts.

Well, was planning to summon Death at the the Garden of Ignominy, when he decides to show up anyway. 4x Conqueror's Periapts with Veteran's Periapt and Blast Arrows shred his last 2 bars of hp within seconds. I only brought my main pawn and we gained 7 levels lol. Apparently, the max xp is 999,999. Weal makes it so much better. I run off to Duskmoon Tower and kill the thunder wyrm quick. Before I can even loot all the drops, a cursed dragon drops down. I take care of that one too and my weal still lasted.

I ran off to the Midnight Helix and tried to kill the wyrm with weal still on. It wore off mid-fight. Oh well. Used another veteran's periapt. Killed it and used rancid bait meat to get the Cursed Dragon to spawn. Killed that too. Gained like 11 levels total. So close to reaching level 200. Gonna take a break for a while.

I remember farming that Moonshimmer Pelt on the ps3. It was a total pain. :( Can't upgrade my delta guard.

Overside

Banned
Yeah, once you have one copy of an item, you can infinitely forge usable copies of the item at The Black Cat. You only need to have one of any given item on hand to make copies too.

And one of the bbi novelty items let's you make the black cat forgeries a lot fatster.

I can't imagine playing this with the infinite run mod. Having to run everywhere and only being about to fast travel back to Soren is so dumb.

Jon Armdog

I wish I could hear Caxton's sweet voice again.

I'm stuck on BBI (because that's where the real game is), and all I get is 'pray, pray, pray, pray, pray'.

Ugggh, I'm with you. "Pray permit me to...pray...pray...pray permit...pray." I wish we could move Asalam or Claxton over to Bitterblack.

Jon Armdog

Man, an Eliminator just suicide-charged me and Arya off a bridge. What an asshat! Sorry for the 3* ratings Armdog.

Ha! That bastard. At least she took the Eliminator with her. I hate those guys so much. When I was playing today, three of those jerks smacked me into a corner...while one was doing his insta-death charge attack, the two other just stood there watching

L00P

It feels so good to knock those eliminator jackasses off the bridge with arc of obliteration, Smash Bros. style

Fasty

I can't imagine playing this with the infinite run mod. Having to run everywhere and only being about to fast travel back to Soren is so dumb.

Guessing you meant to say "without" the infinite run mod. I dunno, I feel like it forces you to slow down and take a look around. It's a game that really rewards exploring early on, with hidden chests everywhere.

Having said that, I really hope they make a sequel that introduces mounts. Preferably mounts of beasts you've defeated! Imagine flying around on a griffin and getting into a fight with a dragon, or getting around on the back of a cyclops.

Top Bottom