• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

I never stop caring.

You monster.

latest

This guy would be proud of you

Akiller

Met Daimon, had to bail out after an hour or so because he killed my pawns and i was running out of healing items, he had 2 life bars left. Pawns' behaviour during the fight pissed me off a bit, for example they were just going after him taking every single attack. My rented mage always tried to use the lighting buff spell, which saved me lots of times in BBI, but it takes too damn long to charge and she ofc was charging it in front of Daimon resulting in her getting rekted every time and my rented lv 178 warrior was ,idk, just walking around, i mean i didn't see her hitting Daimon not even once.

I'm a lv 62 Assassin.

ParityBit

2 more questions ....

1. Should you make forgeries of quest items? I haven't been but I heard you should?
  2. Before opening a chest which could have good items, can you save and keep reloading if you want an item? I am thinking a quest item I need.

KarmaCow

2 more questions ....

1. Should you make forgeries of quest items? I haven't been but I heard you should?
  2. Before opening a chest which could have good items, can you save and keep reloading if you want an item? I am thinking a quest item I need.

1) For the most part I think it doesn't matter, both in terms of the reward and the value of having the quest item. The only times it could possible matter is if you hand in an item clearly marked as a forgery. Not all items will be labelled as such when you copy it and the actual act of copying it doesn't affect anything. A rule is if the actual quest item have value and it doesn't get marked as a forgery, then nothing changes by giving up a copy (since you as the player can't even tell the difference). Even if it is marked as a forgery in the UI, I think you're still generally better off keeping the original.

2) You can, there's even an item you can get later which will make it faster to do this but it sounds really tedious. Also some chests have fixed loot instead of drawing from a pool of items.

Met Daimon, had to bail out after an hour or so because he killed my pawns and i was running out of healing items, he had 2 life bars left. Pawns' behaviour during the fight pissed me off a bit, for example they were just going after him taking every single attack. My rented mage always tried to use the lighting buff spell, which saved me lots of times in BBI, but it takes too damn long to charge and she ofc was charging it in front of Daimon resulting in her getting rekted every time and my rented lv 178 warrior was ,idk, just walking around, i mean i didn't see her hitting Daimon not even once.

I'm a lv 62 Assassin.

Walk out of the boss room, head into the rift, get a strider pawn with gold forged gear, profit

ParityBit

1) For the most part I think it doesn't matter, both in terms of the reward and the value of having the quest item. The only times it could possible matter is if you hand in an item clearly marked as a forgery. Not all items will be labelled as such when you copy it and the actual act of copying it doesn't affect anything. A rule is if the actual quest item have value and it doesn't get marked as a forgery, then nothing changes by giving up a copy (since you as the player can't even tell the difference). Even if it is marked as a forgery in the UI, I think you're still generally better off keeping the original.

Oh what I mean is SHOULD I always make a copy before turning it in. Like I just found the Headless Idol for some quest. I am just wondering if I should make the copy first, or just turn it in. That sort of thing.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Definitely make a copy of the Chamberlain's Affidavit, at least.

20 secs. I just edited the values.
Lame. :p

Equip a rusted weapon, inflict Torpor (more hits = more chances to inflict it), switch to a stronger weapon (and switch back to the rusted one as needed) and annihilate your foes.
True, but it's honestly annoying to switch constantly. At some point I just don't bother anymore. Monsters aren't that hard that I need them to be slowed down.

draetenth

2 more questions ....

1) Forgeries are more for people who want to do multiple playthroughs so they don't have to keep finding the required items over and over again. The two exceptions are: Gold Idol and Wyrmking Ring. Forge the Gold Idol, keep the forgery for yourself and give the real thing to the merchant of choice who wants it (Madeline or Caxton). The Wyrmking Ring is the opposite. Make a forgery to turn in for the quest and keep the real thing for yourself. The Wyrmking RIng speeds up casting, but only the real thing does that (you technically "lose" out on an item, but you can sneak back in at night to steal it).

2) What quest item? Is it a notice board quest? It isn't that big of a deal to save/reload. The only time people really do that is BBI with the godsbane (something you don't get until post-game) to get better equipment. Honestly, I've never bothered to save/reload (it takes too long unless you godsbane).

True, but it's honestly annoying to switch constantly. At some point I just don't bother anymore. Monsters aren't that hard that I need them to be slowed down.

Agreed, I think the only things I use it on are Garms, Elder Ogres, and Fire Drakes, Thunder Wyverns, and Frost Wyrms since they are really the only things to give me problems anymore (the first two because they are so fast, the last three because they are so strong). Everything else falls quickly to either my FHB or my pawns.

KarmaCow

Oh what I mean is SHOULD I always make a copy before turning it in. Like I just found the Headless Idol for some quest. I am just wondering if I should make the copy first, or just turn it in. That sort of thing.

I guess I should be more clear but what I meant as value. I don't mean in terms of selling it I mean stuff like Wyrm Hunting License. It gives you a 5% discount in all the stores but it's also taken away from you after completing the Wyrm Hunting quests and move on. Having a copy of that is useful since it doesn't get marked as a forgery and you can continue having that discount but it isn't crucial.

Similarly, there's a quest where you can handle gold/silver/bronze idols to store owners which will increase the quality and quantity of items they will sell you. However, those idols also give you a discount in stores by just having it on you. To make it more complicated, getting a forgery made will give a copy that is clearly marked as a forgery. Handing the copy in will not get you the increased catalog of the store but you can still complete the quest with it. That said, the having the forgery on you will still give you the discount as if you had the original. This is actually an exception since usually things marked as a forgery lose all special properties like in the case of Port Crystals where the forgeries are completely useless.

As for other quest items that have no value besides the quest, copying them can useful if you plan on speedrunning the game or just want to get through things faster in NG+ since you can skip the process of getting that item.

I know I've typed up a lot about it but honestly it doesn't matter that much. Arguably the only thing that matters is keeping the original version of the Wyrmking Ring since it boosts casting speed. The benefits of copying other stuff is minimal at best and not worth stressing about.

Items go into your storage. They get sent back with 3-star rating and no item or comment. They keep RC and enemy info learned.

You feel bad at first and then stop caring after the 10th time it happens.

I haven't tested this yet, but the wiki says that they don't get sent back until you rest, implying that if you rent them again and immediately send them away with a review, that only the last review is applied. It also mentions that if you hire/send them away with a gift more than a certain amount of times (8? 9?) before you rest, that some/all of the gifts are lost.

ParityBit

1) Forgeries are more for people who want to do multiple playthroughs so they don't have to keep finding the required items over and over again. The two exceptions are: Gold Idol and Wyrmking Ring.

... I know I've typed up a lot about it but honestly it doesn't matter that much. Arguably the only thing that matters is keeping the original version of the Wyrmking Ring since it boosts casting speed. The benefits of copying other stuff is minimal at best and not worth stressing about.

Thanks guys! I will just plan on those two things then. Do items like the seeker token forgery work so I get that quest done?

On a side note I loved this ....

Pawn: "Is this your house Arisen?"
Pawn: *smash* *crack* *bang*

draetenth

I just realized there is another item that is very useful to forge: Blessed Flower. You get it during a side quest (provided you've been doing the stuff for the Witch/Witchwood/and the lady from Cassardis (Quina I think) when you talk to her at the Abbey. She gives you the Blessed Flower as part of the quest to show to someone (I usually show it to the head priest at the Church in Gran Soren). The Blessed Flower grants weal (2x experience and dp) for a whole day so it's a very useful item to forge (though not as useful in BBI since there are a couple of foes that can kill it while it's in your inventory due to their poisonous attacks).

I decided to finally stop procrastinating and turn in my wakestones so I can beat the game. What a weird turn of events. After I
stab myself with the Godsbane and fall from the sky, my (female) Arisen yells out with my (male) pawn's voice. And then Madeleine is there for some reason, though I have no idea why. It switches over to a scene with some book or stone tablet
, and then the game crashes.

What a bizarre game.

I decided to finally stop procrastinating and turn in my wakestones so I can beat the game. What a weird turn of events. After I
stab myself with the Godsbane and fall from the sky, my (female) Arisen yells out with my (male) pawn's voice. And then Madeleine is there for some reason, though I have no idea why. It switches over to a scene with some book or stone tablet

What a bizarre game.

When you Godsbane yourself, you ascend to seneschal-ness and grant your pawn volition/free will/humanity or something like that.

And it crashed during the end credits, so you didn't miss anything.

What a bizarre game.

What if your pawn became you?

When you Godsbane yourself, you ascend to seneschal-ness and grant your pawn volition/free will/humanity or something like that.

And it crashed during the end credits, so you didn't miss anything.
Yeah, I re-did it now and saw the credits. Thankfully it didn't crash a second time.

What if your pawn became you?
I thought we merged or something, or that their "essence" now inhabited my dead body. But that makes sense, albeit it being very sudden. It was still weird to hear her with a man's voice.

Akiller

Managed to beat Zodd i mean Daimon, indeed a strider pawn with gold forged gear was the key to defeat him, still it was an hard fight , that fucking rift vortex is really dangerous and killed one of my pawns but me and the other pawns left managed to avoid it all the next times he did it.

I heard you can "farm" him, does that mean i'll find him there again?

OTIX

Managed to beat Zodd i mean Daimon, indeed a strider pawn with gold forged gear was the key to defeat him, still it was an hard fight , that fucking rift vortex is really dangerous and killed one of my pawns but me and the other pawns left managed to avoid it all the next times he did it.

I heard you can "farm" him, does that mean i'll find him there again?
If this was the first time you beat Daimon then BBI will now be filled with harder enemies and better loot. The back doors will be closed. And the next time you meet Daimon the fight will be longer and harder.

You can farm him because he respawns as soon as you exit the backdoor, the chests in his room will also respawn, which is how you farm lvl 3 stuff. You have to run back through the last third of BBI each time though.

Soodanim

Ending spoilers:

[Savan speaking to your character]
"All I have done is test your will, as all Arisen do to the next. The endless cycle continues"
--Game crashes to desktop--

So much for an endless cycle...

EctoPrime

I've been playing this game with all the graphics settings set to low but the framerate still frequently dips to around 20fps. Is there anything else I can do to improve the framerate or will I just have to deal with it? I'm using a laptop with an AMD APU which I'm guessing this game isn't optimized for.

If the laptop is capable of running in dual channel and is not currently doing so the additional bandwith provided by the extra stick of ram could boost the framerate.

Have a question about Quina.

Where is her location before the final fight? Is she on the mainland where I can't woo her anymore with the Arisen ring? I have a bad feeling my romance option is going to be the arms dealer I visit constantly and methinks Quina is a better choice for my Arisen. Did I goof?

Akiller

If this was the first time you beat Daimon then BBI will now be filled with harder enemies and better loot. The back doors will be closed. And the next time you meet Daimon the fight will be longer and harder.

You can farm him because he respawns as soon as you exit the backdoor, the chests in his room will also respawn, which is how you farm lvl 3 stuff. You have to run back through the last third of BBI each time though.

Got it, so the only things left to do are this Daimon farming and killing
Death
, who either oneshots my pawns or go away pretty quick.

I think i am good for now, maybe will start another game and come back at DD later on, we'll see.

The real game started in the final part + BBI , wish it was like that since the beginning. Daimon's story was cool and it explained some interesting shit like the fact
dragons are actually the Arisens who were defeated by the Seneschal.

Another cool thing is that ,at first, you think "meh, i'm the typical chosen one who will save the day" , but then you realize you are just ONE of the many chosen ones.

OTIX

Where is her location before the final fight? Is she on the mainland where I can't woo her anymore with the Arisen ring? I have a bad feeling my romance option is going to be the arms dealer I visit constantly and methinks Quina is a better choice for my Arisen. Did I goof?
If you've done the two quests at the abbey then she is gone forever. The only way to get her as beloved is to piss off any other characters with maxed affinity that you've spoken to after Quina. You know if someone has max affinity because a chime plays when you talk to them, they also have a faint pink aura and blush. The best way is to give them an item from the expansion called liquid effluvium which makes an npc hate you. Otherwise you can try drawing your weapons in front of them repeatedly.

On the other hand Fournival is really the best choice for beloved since he moves into your house and you always know where he is to buy stuff.

Got it, so the only things left to do are this Daimon farming and killing
Death
, who either oneshots my pawns or go away pretty quick.

I think i am good for now, maybe will start another game and come back at DD later on, we'll see.

The real game started in the final part + BBI , wish it was like that since the beginning. Daimon's story was cool and it explained some interesting shit like the fact

Another cool thing is that ,at first, you think "meh, i'm the typical chosen one who will save the day" , but then you realize you are just ONE of the many chosen ones.

I definitely recommend doing BBI a second time. It's a very different experience with different enemies and
Daimons true form.

Akiller

I definitely recommend doing BBI a second time. It's a very different experience with different enemies and
Daimons true form.

Oh man idk if my body is ready for that, gotta farm better gears and exp some more before
or just buy hundrends of healing items.

This is actually explained in the game itself though...BBI just expects you're in NG+ so it's just filled with spoilers

*EDIT* BEATEN

If you've done the two quests at the abbey then she is gone forever. The only way to get her as beloved is to piss off any other characters with maxed affinity that you've spoken to after Quina. You know if someone has max affinity because a chime plays when you talk to them, they also have a faint pink aura and blush. The best way is to give them an item from the expansion called liquid effluvium which makes an npc hate you. Otherwise you can try drawing your weapons in front of them repeatedly.

On the other hand Fournival is really the best choice for beloved since he moves into your house and you always know where he is to buy stuff.

Thanks!

Akiller

Daimons true form.
About Daimon's
true form
, any advice? I mean
it took me an hour to defeat normal Daimon and then he turned into His true form and i was Like "Wat? Are you serious?" I had to quit because i used all the healing items during the normal Daimon fight.

Post Daimon BBI is so crazy lmao

Lork

About Daimon's
true form
, any advice? I mean
it took me an hour to defeat normal Daimon and then he turned into His true form and i was Like "Wat? Are you serious?" I had to quit because i used all the healing items during the normal Daimon fight.

If it took an hour to kill Daimon you're probably getting screwed over by this game's ill conceived defense mechanics. Are you using weapons with split damage types between magic and physical? If so, consider switching to weapons that do a high amount of one or the other, even if the split weapons add up to more. Each damage type is considered individually and if it doesn't meet a certain threshold for a particular enemy, you will do basically no damage to it and end up having to chip away at it for ages. As a consequence, split damage weapons are nothing but a liability in the late game.

Yeah, Magic Archer is really strong. But modding out weight is fairly game-breaking.

Eh, I only do it to run faster and not have to worry about managing items that I pick up around BBI when I'm farming for items. Yeah, it's game-breaking if you carry 999 Blast Arrows as a Ranger with Tenfold Flurry :p

Sarcasm

So another idol question, I gave the Golden Idol to Caxton (which I made a copy at the black cat).

What do I do about the chick vendor? The gold idol buff to Caxton doesn't stay into NG+ right?

So another idol question, I gave the Golden Idol to Caxton (which I made a copy at the black cat).

What do I do about the chick vendor? The gold idol buff to Caxton doesn't stay into NG+ right?

Find the silver idol and give it to Madeleine. The items don't carry, but you can do the quest again in NG+ so you can reverse gold/silver then if you want to see the full stock of both. In either case, it's doubtful you'll want anything from either vendor once you get to post-game.

OTIX

About Daimon's
true form
, any advice? I mean

You just need more damage output. Make sure your weapons are as upgraded as possible and make sure you have all the relevant damage augments (bloodlust, clout, acuity, etc). Because of how the damage calculation works even a small increase of strength or magic can give a significant increase to damage. He is weak against Holy so bring the right weapon buff. You can also use four periapts at the same time to drastically increase your strength or magic temporarily.

You can give her a silver or bronze idol if you like, they will unlock some items but not all. Any unlocks will stay in NG+ so you can give the gold to Madeleine the next time. Though the equipment will be outdated by then.

You can give her a silver or bronze idol if you like, they will unlock some items but not all. Any unlocks will stay in NG+ so you can give the gold to Madeleine the next time. Though the equipment will be outdated by then.

If you have two gold idols they both unlock their gold-level inventories right?

The quest doesn't stop/prevent you from handing a gold idol to the other to also unlock their stock?

OTIX

If you have two gold idols they both unlock their gold-level inventories right?

The quest doesn't stop/prevent you from handing a gold idol to the other to also unlock their stock?
I assume that would work but you would have to get a second genuine gold idol gifted from another player. A forgery will not work.

It's not really important though. Caxton will always sell stronger weapons in post-game anyway. And the gold idol unlocks will carry over to any future NG+ even if you give them a bronze idol next time.

JudgeN

My Mystic Knight has fallen off hard in terms of damage in BBI, no idea why. Got the best sword and about 490 str/ 490mag at lvl 200 with all the good augments for str/mag. While my mystic archer/ranger became OP as hell.

Seems like dagger just do a shit ton more damage than sword ones. Its a shame I really like the class but its to slow for me now.

OTIX

My Mystic Knight has fallen off hard in terms of damage in BBI, no idea why. Got the best sword and about 490 str/ 490mag at lvl 200 with all the good augments for str/mag. While my mystic archer/ranger became OP as hell.

Seems like dagger just do a shit ton more damage than sword ones. Its a shame I really like the class but its to slow for me now.
MK can deal tremendous damage but it requires a bit more work than other classes. For example you can deliberately stand in an enemy's aoe spell, like comestion or holy furor, and repeatedly perfect block the spell to shoot back a ton of projectiles from your shield buff. If you also have a cannon or two in front of you they will be activated a gazillion times for some sick damage.

Most MK skills seem to scale more with magic than strength however, so it's unfortunate that the best weapons are pure physical.

Top Bottom