• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

OTIX

I've read that three star enemy knowledge is important for GG. For example, against a dragon a pawn without three stars will randomly target GG against any of the weak points, the two horns, the wings and the heart, whereas a pawn with three stars will always aim at the heart.

ParityBit

So I ran into the
Dragon or baby dragon or whatever at level 49. The thing kicked my butt. What level are you supposed to be to fight this thing?

draetenth

So I ran into the
Dragon or baby dragon or whatever at level 49. The thing kicked my butt. What level are you supposed to be to fight this thing?

The
Drake at Devilfire Grove?
. It really depends on your vocation, party, and skills. I think someone earlier in this thread beat it in the 20s as a Mystic Knight. I think I wasn't able to do it until level 60 or so as an Assassin. The key things are that it's weak to ice, target the wings until they are destroyed to ground it, hit it's mouth if it looks like it will breathe fire, aim for the heart for maximum damage, and really pour the hurt on it if it grabs a pawn otherwise watch as that pawn turns against you.

Plus, it has a damn annoying roar that can instantly kill any pawns that are near it.

Exentryk

I think she would. When she charges her Great Gamble, she would miss the weakspot due to the enemy moving around a lot like a Cursed Dragon or Daimon. One time I seen her fully charged Great Gamble when I knocked a Cursed Dragon down, except it was facing away from her. That shot barely did any damage. Or she would charge Great Gamble on a wrath or at Death. Death swung with his scythe. I'm like nooooooooo. My pawn occasionally dies on Death even with sleep resist.

I would compare the damage without Great Gamble for a week, then put it back on and compare again for another week. I haven't seen it where Great Gamble taken 2 bars of health off BBI bosses yet. I'm beginning to think its a myth haha.

I've read that three star enemy knowledge is important for GG. For example, against a dragon a pawn without three stars will randomly target GG against any of the weak points, the two horns, the wings and the heart, whereas a pawn with three stars will always aim at the heart.

Hmm... Luna doesn't have 3 stars yet, so that could be playing a part. I might remove GG for now, and then test GG again later when she has 3 stars. This won't be happening for another week though, as I'm out of town.

Just got a million RC from someone. Wow. Never knew there was a cap on it.

Yeah, I got that amount too a few days ago.

Hmm... Luna doesn't have 3 stars yet, so that could be playing a part. I might remove GG for now, and then test GG again later when she has 3 stars. This won't be happening for another week though, as I'm out of town.
Its all good.
Luna's GG literally blinded me today and took 2 bars off a Cursed Dragon. The flash was much brighter than usual. She crit the weakspot for massive damage. I was dumbfounded.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Has anybody tested Great Gamble versus Reaper's Arrow on a Ranger pawn? Is one preferable to another (doesn't make too much sense to have both equipped at the same time)? I've been using GG on my pawn since the PS3 days, but I'm wondering if perhaps RA might be more efficient.

Has anybody tested Great Gamble versus Reaper's Arrow on a Ranger pawn? Is one preferable to another (doesn't make too much sense to have both equipped at the same time)? I've been using GG on my pawn since the PS3 days, but I'm wondering if perhaps RA might be more efficient.
I found this since I was kinda curious on GG max potential damage. Someone compared the 3 hardest single hit skills in the game.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/367500/discussions/0/451851477882223206/

He modded to max stats for the test or close enough to it. He's one stat off possible max strength and magick.

Perfect Reaper's Arrow using Blast Arrows: 48,443 damage
Great Gamble with Blast Arrows: 163,205 damage (you surely expected more :p)
Great Gamble with Blast Arrows using the Savior Ring (+500 stamina): 169.058 damage

GG on a Cursed Dragon's heart - result: 241,693 damage (seems more like it, no?)
Wonder if he used 4x conqueror periapts?

Arc of Deliverance: 95,791 on a rat.

Great Sacrifice on a rat (can you guess it?): 241,693 damage
He used 4x demon's periapts with Great Sacrifice.
Yep, the rat survived, my pawn died, and the damage was: 378,494 (!)
It glitched out lol.

Exentryk

Its all good.
Luna's GG literally blinded me today and took 2 bars off a Cursed Dragon. The flash was much brighter than usual. She crit the weakspot for massive damage. I was dumbfounded.

Nice! Cursed Dragon's health is 250,000, so it sounds like Luna didn't charge that GG fully. But that's still good damage.

I found this since I was kinda curious on GG max potential damage. Someone compared the 3 hardest single hit skills in the game.

Great find. So GG with a blast arrow can pretty much hit the damage cap if a weak point is struck? Strange that there is a damage cap though, and it is such an odd number. Something like 999,999 might have been better?

Also, 500 stamina only increased damage by about 5800 points (non weak point). When talking about >100K damage, that amount seems pretty trivial. Be neat if we could figure out the damage formula for this ability.

deejay

I've been playing this for about 15 hours now and taking down enemies can sometimes take minutes.

Basically, my character and pawn have the strongest weapons currently available to them but they still do damage as if they're just petting them. I frequently die, and the two extra pawns are of almost no use. I get very little healing, even though I have two members who possess that skill.

I have a diverse party (not all tanks/damage dealers/mages/et cetera), and I have no clue how to improve. It's really annoying. I don't want it to be so simple that it isn't any fun, but some tips would be appreciated, because right now it isn't any fun either.

Also, the quest markers/indicators really suck. Half of the time I'm trying to find the right place or enemy. And I've played plenty of (A)RPG's before. Frustrating as hell!

jahasaja

I've been playing this for about 15 hours now and taking down enemies can sometimes take minutes.

Basically, my character and pawn have the strongest weapons currently available to them but they still do damage as if they're just petting them. I frequently die, and the two extra pawns are of almost no use. I get very little healing, even though I have two members who possess that skill.

I have a diverse party (not all tanks/damage dealers/mages/et cetera), and I have no clue how to improve. It's really annoying. I don't want it to be so simple that it isn't any fun, but some tips would be appreciated, because right now it isn't any fun either.

Also, the quest markers/indicators really suck. Half of the time I'm trying to find the right place or enemy. And I've played plenty of (A)RPG's before. Frustrating as hell!

Yup, that is the games biggest weakness. You feels like you are using a wooden stick at times. Enemies often have way too much HP.

Some boss fights can literally take hours.

eEK!

Neo Member
Yup, that is the games biggest weakness. You feels like you are using a wooden stick at times. Enemies often have way too much HP.

Some boss fights can literally take hours.

Sounds like you are under powered or using the wrong strategy. What class are you both playing and which monsters are you struggling with?

deejay

Sounds like you are under powered or using the wrong strategy. What class are you both playing and which monsters are you struggling with?

I started as a warrior, then a combination of mage/warrior (useless) and now I'm a rogue, which handles a bit better but still doesn't do major damage. Right now I'm level 22 and I'm hanging around the third area (with the castle and everything; huge area, but I can't remember the name). My pawns are two mages and other warrior (I don't know the exact classes, sorry, my memory is terrible).

As for strategy: all of my pawns walk around aimlessly. When I tell them to come to me it takes 1-2 minutes for them to arrive, but sometimes they're a little faster. But half of the time they just go their own way and leave me fighting the enemies solo, until I've pressed the 'Come here' button about 10 times or so. They're around my level as well, by the way.

Maybe I'm too far along with the story I don't know; as I mentioned I'm also having a hard time getting to the correct locations and this is partly due to the fact that I have no clue how main quests are shown in the quest log (I assume they're the ones with the orange rectangles, but I'm not sure).

Mastperf

Might be a dumb question, but have you been swapping out your pawns regularly? Only your created pawn levels up with you.
Also, mages aren't great damage dealers so maybe swap one for a sorcerer.

deejay

Might be a dumb question, but have you been swapping out your pawns regularly? Only your created pawn levels up with you.
Also, mages aren't great damage dealers so maybe swap one for a sorcerer.

Yeah, I noticed that a few hours into the game. I regularly update them with higher level pawns but that doesn't seem to do the trick. Maybe I'm just expecting too much as far as damage dealing is concerned.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I gave general tips for beginners in the OT, make sure you check them out. But if you're struggling, doing poor damage or suffering from bad pawn AI here are some things that can help:

- Upgrade your gear. If you can't afford the best gear for sale at the shop, that's OK: focus on just getting a better weapon. Also, upgrade it if you have the parts. Don't worry too much about the materials, you'll get tons eventually. Even a 2-star upgrade can make a difference.
- Rotate your pawns every now and then. Your own pawn levels up with you but the rented pawns don't.
- Have 1 mage in your party for healing if you prefer, but get damage dealers for the rest. 2 mages is not useful to have. Try to balance your party; having a bow user is better than not having one.
- Pawn inclinations matter. They are running around aimlessly no doubt because of ill-fitting inclination. "Guardian" is terrible to have in all cases. It depends on their vocations but typically you want pawns with scather, challenger, mitigator, utilitarian (the last one is best if the pawns have high monster knowledge so at first it might not be that good).
- Spamming "come" might affect your main pawn's inclination so be careful with that. If they run away from you they might be Pioneer or Acquisitor, not sure.

Is your pawn chatter turned on? It might be annoying, but for a new player the pawns can give you tips in combat to properly fight enemies, exploit their weaknesses and deal better damage etc.

eEK!

Neo Member
I started as a warrior, then a combination of mage/warrior (useless) and now I'm a rogue, which handles a bit better but still doesn't do major damage. Right now I'm level 22 and I'm hanging around the third area (with the castle and everything; huge area, but I can't remember the name). My pawns are two mages and other warrior (I don't know the exact classes, sorry, my memory is terrible).

As for strategy: all of my pawns walk around aimlessly. When I tell them to come to me it takes 1-2 minutes for them to arrive, but sometimes they're a little faster. But half of the time they just go their own way and leave me fighting the enemies solo, until I've pressed the 'Come here' button about 10 times or so. They're around my level as well, by the way.

Maybe I'm too far along with the story I don't know; as I mentioned I'm also having a hard time getting to the correct locations and this is partly due to the fact that I have no clue how main quests are shown in the quest log (I assume they're the ones with the orange rectangles, but I'm not sure).

If you are playing Strider then you probably need try some different skills and learn to use the jumps and rolls to exploit each monsters vulnerability (which your pawns will be droning on about).

Strider is very situational so if you just use the daggers or the bow, you'll run into trouble. Instead you need to figure out what works for you against each monster.

eEK!

Neo Member
I have finished the game and are on BI.

Level 60ish.

That's kind of the entry level for BBI (despite what gaffers say about hard mode lvl 20 being how it should be played) and you aren't really supposed to kill everything in BBI before you get some BBI level 2/3 weapons.

jahasaja

That's kind of the entry level for BBI (despite what gaffers say about hard mode lvl 20 being how it should be played) and you aren't really supposed to kill everything in BBI before you get some BBI level 2/3 weapons.

The second boss stopped my progress I can hardly scratch him.

I am having fun though as I said before this a great game. I just think the HP system is a bit flawed.

The ending of this game is nuts. Other than the very beginning and the ending the story in this game may as well not have existed, but they sure saved something for the end.

Now for NG+ I suppose. What level is appropriate for tackling BBI? Or is it mostly gear dependent?

OTIX

The second boss stopped my progress I can hardly scratch him.

I am having fun though as I said before this a great game. I just think the HP system is a bit flawed.
It's not about HP, it's about defense. With enough strength you can destroy any boss in seconds but if your strength is a bit low you'll barely scratch it. A small increase in strength can mean a big increase in damage output. If you're having trouble with a certain boss then bring a stack of conquerers periapts, they increase strength by 20% each and you can use 4 at a time for a 107% buff which can easily quadruple your damage output against an enemy with high defense.

And you obviously want all the strength increasing augments as well.

OTIX

So I maxed Ranger and strider. Currently in strider. Should I go fighter? Or what?
Try out all the classes to see what you prefer and to pick up the best augments. For physical damage classes the best augments are Clout from Warrior and Vehemence from Fighter. Bloodlust from Assassin is great for everyone and Sinew from Fighter increases carry capacity which is nice.

ParityBit

So I am at
Deny Salvation. I am running as an assassin 5 star and I am wondering if I should flip back to one of the vocations I have maxed?

So I am at
Deny Salvation. I am running as an assassin 5 star and I am wondering if I should flip back to one of the vocations I have maxed?
Well, when you defeat the dragon, you will get the best vanilla weapons for whatever you have equipped: meaning if you go through with your Assassin using daggers and a bow, those are the weapons you will get. So defeat the dragon with a vocation you like using to avoid getting weapons you don't want.

Assassin is pretty good for the fight, use the bow from afar or climb daggers to the heart. His heart can be difficult to hit with a sword from the ground.

He'll also dragonforge everything you have equipped, so take advantage of that.

Exentryk

Its still worth it. 20% buff plus 30% defense and magick defense. It will randomly alternate on BBI though.

Time in BBI runs just like it does outside of BBI. So, may be when people noticed they were not getting the Bloodlust bonus, they were actually in day time?

eEK!

Neo Member
Time in BBI runs just like it does outside of BBI. So, may be when people noticed they were not getting the Bloodlust bonus, they were actually in day time?

Another poster checked it and bloodlust is on then off every 10-20 minutes in BBI, so its not as reliable.

I need to learn how to install texture/enbs like yesterday.
I know this game can look amazing.
Anyone got any links to step by step tutorials?
Or wanna take a shot at explaining to me themselves?

draetenth

Nameless Terror, I hate this quest. Not having trouble killing it or traveling at night. But Its already day -.-.

I'm not sure what you are saying.. Are you annoyed because the quest is only at night , but it keeps changing to day on you? There isn't any time-limit so you can rest until night -> kill the first assassin -> rest until the next night -> kill the next one and so on if you really need to... It isn't necessary to do it all in one night.

The only annoyance really is figuring out where exactly the assassins show up and supposedly the quest can be completed without ever seeing the second to last (fourth? can't remember how many groups there were) one because apparently there is a glitch that makes him not show up, but I've never had that issue.

I'm not sure what you are saying.. Are you annoyed because the quest is only at night , but it keeps changing to day on you? There isn't any time-limit so you can rest until night -> kill the first assassin -> rest until the next night -> kill the next one and so on if you really need to... It isn't necessary to do it all in one night.

The only annoyance really is figuring out where exactly the assassins show up and supposedly the quest can be completed without ever seeing the second to last (fourth? can't remember how many groups there were) one because apparently there is a glitch that makes him not show up, but I've never had that issue.

yeah the trigger spots are so weird and finnicky.

i activated the 2nd one by coming in and out of the mines cave outside of he city.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I need to learn how to install texture/enbs like yesterday.
I know this game can look amazing.
Anyone got any links to step by step tutorials?
Or wanna take a shot at explaining to me themselves?

Not sure about textures in this particular game, but installing ENBs is fairly straightforward.

First, download the ENB binary here.

Copy d3d9.dll from the WrapperVersion folder into your main Dragon's Dogma directory (generally something like C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/DDDA).

Find an ENB preset you like (Nexus Mods is a pretty good site to search) and download their package, making sure that it's appropriate for the ENB version you downloaded in the first step.

Usually the preset creators will have instructions included in the download file. Generally, it just involves copy-pasting ENB-related files to your main DDDA directory.

Launch the game. You should see a message in the top-left corner if the ENB is running.

Make sure HDR is set to "High" in the options menu for the ENB effects to work correctly.

You can configure the ENB effects in-game by pressing Shift+Enter.

Not sure about textures in this particular game, but installing ENBs is fairly straightforward.

First, download the ENB binary here.

Copy d3d9.dll from the WrapperVersion folder into your main Dragon's Dogma directory (generally something like C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/DDDA).

Find an ENB preset you like (Nexus Mods is a pretty good site to search) and download their package, making sure that it's appropriate for the ENB version you downloaded in the first step.

Usually the preset creators will have instructions included in the download file. Generally, it just involves copy-pasting ENB-related files to your main DDDA directory.

Launch the game. You should see a message in the top-left corner if the ENB is running.

Make sure HDR is set to "High" in the options menu for the ENB effects to work correctly.

You can configure the ENB effects in-game by pressing Shift+Enter.

download on nexus manually or with nmm?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
where the hell is my directory.
i have the game as a desktop icon and im not finding a Dragons dogma folder on the disc

Right-click the desktop shortcut and click on "Open file location" (or something like that), it should take you to the directory where the executable is located.

Top Bottom