• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

NIN90

Game performance is kinda disappointing for being an MT framework game from 2012 that's running on an i5 with a 970. Constantly dropping to the 40s at 1080p.

Steel

Banned
- Yes
- Once I noticed the fact that my strike to its heart did absolutely nothing, yes. But too late.
- Before I saw those 8 life bars, yes!
- Also yes.

Well, good to know. I'll jump back in once my blood pressure has subsided.

Everyone gets this fail to some extent. Nice to hear about other people suffering the same fate.

At absolute least you realized that he's out of your league, even if it was too late. I had a friend keep trying to kill that thing thinking that he was supposed to be able to bring it down early in the game for hours. He stopped playing for weeks afterward.

Game performance is kinda disappointing for being an MT framework game from 2012 that's running on an i5 with a 970. Constantly dropping to the 40s at 1080p.

... That shouldn't be happening. I'm getting 1440P 60 FPS solid on my 970 AMD FX 8320 combo(both overclocked, mind you).

Baalzebup

Igh, messing with the carry weight limits messes up the metagame, big time. They are part of the core mechanics of the game and they are supposed to be a factor in your approach to how you play the game.

I mean, do as you like, but my recommendation is a strong vote for keeping that shit as it is.

someone needs to mod in the ability for any class to roll asap. I tried to look at the files to see if i could mod anything...I was completely lost lol.

ExoSoul

Banned
Okay what is the fucking deal with those damn ogres? once they lose most of their hp they become the final boss all of sudden and one/two shot every one lol.

what's the best strategy against them? is miasma any good?

Miasma has a really high dps if you can get him to stay in one spot, lightning spells to stagger him and grapnel to prent a lot of damage from coming out while doing damage.

If you're on hard mode just stick with grapnel.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
did you sell the free items you get at the beginning in your storage? It's unique armor, they all have meh stats that will quickly be replaced by shop inventory. One of them in particular even says "it has no particular qualities" but sells for 320K

i sold the ones Im not using so about half. I didnt see anything that sold for that much tho o_O

Mupod

I've got a 2500k@4.5 and a 970. Running at 1440p with HBAO+ and I haven't seen it go below 60. Most of the time much higher as I run uncapped on a 120hz.

Gbraga

Igh, messing with the carry weight limits messes up the metagame, big time. They are part of the core mechanics of the game and they are supposed to be a factor in your approach to how you play the game.

I mean, do as you like, but my recommendation is a strong vote for keeping that shit as it is.

I would usually agree, and it's the reason I don't want to mod the stamina, but the weight limit is only a big balance factor in theory. What actually happens is that you give all your shit to your pawn to carry so you can be Very Light, and then, even if your pawn is too heavy to run, he'll teleport close to you every now and then and it won't be a problem.

Steel

Banned
Did.... Did I just hear a Hobgoblin yell "Who let the Dogs out!" when they spotted me?

I mean, I could swear that's what I heard.

Agreed

Sophia

This game is amazingly atmospheric at night. Not many games have an actual sense of darkness; usually it's just faked and you can see just as fine in the night as you can in the day.

2016-01-16_00002wty74.jpg
2016-01-16_00004o7jf1.jpg

Any tips for mages? Kinda feel useless right now at the beginning. I can easily kill goblins and wolves, but when there are human enemies, my spells dont really do much.

Ryne

Anyone came across any fixes for the resolution issue? It won't save after I changed resolutions. I keep trying to play in 4K, but it resets every time I exit.

I followed some ideas from the steam forums (checking the INI for example), and nothing worked.

Mupod

Got the game on my SSD but the load times are crazy long. Is this normal?

SSD as well, load times are so fast I can't read the loadscreen tips.

My roommate has an even better machine than me (4790k/980) and I think he's got the game on an SSD too. But he was getting super long loadtimes last night.

Anyone came across any fixes for the resolution issue? It won't save after I changed resolutions. I keep trying to play in 4K, but it resets every time I exit.

I followed some ideas from the steam forums (checking the INI for example), and nothing worked.

noticing this too. Keeps dropping down back to 1080.

Lanrutcon

Dudes:

- The game pauses while you're in your inventory
- Healing items can be used from your inventory
- Healing items are instant
- Healing items are cheap
- You can buy infinite healing items

Messing with your carrying capacity is essentially fucking any semblance of difficulty the game has. Without a weight limit you can start the game, sell your DLC items, buy a shitload of health items and fire bombs, go to the expansion island and skip 90% of the game's progression.

It's your game and your time, but you're going to kick yourself once you realize how your inventory limit was a key part of game's balance.

Gbraga

Got the game on my SSD but the load times are crazy long. Is this normal?

It is if you're using ENB

Without a weight limit you can start the game, sell your DLC items, buy a shitload of health items

But that's exactly what I did when I first played Dark Arisen on PS3. I think you guys are really overestimating how important the weight limit is, unless it gets much more important later into the game. But as far as I played on PS3, it was just a matter of giving my shit for my pawn to carry.

BadWolf

You are gonna need those mushrooms and liquid vim on hand, because that thing is powered on wheaties. It's dope as fuck, edit: correction it's iframes, high damage, and awesome animation with a wind effect.

Yeah gonna stock up on those the next time I'm in town, the move is so friggin worth it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So Steam says I've been playing for 9 hours today. Well. It _is_ 1am now.

After having fun creating my character, and finding her weird afterwards, I kinda like her now. Also my pawn is boss.

Thanks for hyping me into buying this GAF, so far it's a fantastic game.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've got a 2500k@4.5 and a 970. Running at 1440p with HBAO+ and I haven't seen it go below 60. Most of the time much higher as I run uncapped on a 120hz.

The overclock for sure. These CPUs are still beastly if you push them.

My i52500k is currently at stock. I'm 1080/Max and sitting at 55-60 with dips to high 40s occasionally. Almost always get a 60 lock in this situation when I boost it.

Should really do that...

Majukun

managed to return to the capital without teleport..meanwhile looted empty a cave and got a ton of loot..a weapon that's obviously way overpowered for the enemies i fight atm and some good armor

the looting part seems atm to be the better part fo this game..since the combat really hasn't evolved much from a button smasher atm,and there are way less enemy types than i thought..i know it's the beginning. there are probably less than ten types of foes for now..

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
This game is amazingly atmospheric at night. Not many games have an actual sense of darkness; usually it's just faked and you can see just as fine in the night as you can in the day.

the best is when you get glowing eyes of a ogre or something imposing in the darkness so good

Just a tip for a side quest in the game. I only bring this up because I just screwed it up, haha!

Spoilers, obviously:

There's this one quest where Fournival is on trial and you can gather evidence that proves him innocent or guilty. Your choice. You should gather the evidence that shows him innocent, because the items he sells are really, really helpful for the Bitterblack Isle expansion, and post game.

Edit: Actually, I think this is a main quest.

creyas

Thanks for the tip guys, wasn't using ENB but disabling GeDoSaTo sped up the load a good bit.

Another question since i'll be playing without it for now; i have my TV running 'overclocked' at 100Hz and the game starts at 60, was using GDST to force the issue, any easy alternative (nVidia, prefer maximum refresh doesn't do the trick, 100hz isn't available in the options menu)?

I don't think I'll be able to wait to buy this. Does DLGamer offer the best deal right now (out of the authorized vendors) at $23.99?

EDIT: Too late.

Dizzy-4U

I like how the regular skeletons have some sort of Harryhausen animation style. Don't know if it's intentional or not but I love it.

Cyrano

Dudes:

Messing with your carrying capacity is essentially fucking any semblance of difficulty the game has. Without a weight limit you can start the game, sell your DLC items, buy a shitload of health items and fire bombs, go to the expansion island and skip 90% of the game's progression.

It's your game and your time, but you're going to kick yourself once you realize how your inventory limit was a key part of game's balance.
Yeah, pretty much. If you really wanna try a hard mode version of the game, get the regeneration augment and don't use curatives. True Dark Souls starts there.

Do some inventory management. You get used to it pretty quickly and it's also important to learn that your pawns are also perfectly willing to carry all your crap for you.

Do some inventory management. You get used to it pretty quickly and it's also important to learn that your pawns are also perfectly willing to carry all your crap for you.

I understand the arguments against modding the weight system out, but constantly having to transfer things to my pawn is just so tedious. it's not like I'm picking up less, it's just that every ten minutes or so I am transferring everything over to my pawn who barely even cares about it

The weight system isn't changing how I play, it's just increasing the time I spend in menus

MUnited83

For you.
Dudes:

This doesn't make any sense: you are assuming people can't exercise self-restraint; just because they could stock up on a crapload of healing items doesn't mean they are going to. That and it also ignores the fact that you can already carry a crapload of healing items even with the normal carrying capacity.

Gbraga

I understand the arguments against modding the weight system out, but constantly having to transfer things to my pawn is just so tedious. it's not like I'm picking up less, it's just that every ten minutes or so I am transferring everything over to my pawn who barely even cares about it

The weight system isn't changing how I play, it's just increasing the time I spend in menus

Exactly.

If it was equip load, like in Dark Souls? No way in hell I'd mod that. But I would mod item load out of Demon's if I could. It's dumb.

Played for five minutes, had to go, turned it off, then came back later and started it up. My FPS are tanking. I have a shitty FX4300, but none of the options I select are making a difference.

My CPU is going wild too, even though it wasn't before.

So this is truly what hell looks like.

SilentRob

Item Management just isn't a mechanic I enjoy. What i want to do in Dragon's Dogma is run around, climb on a cyclops and stab him in the eye repeatedly. I do not want to worry about giving my items to my main pawn because I'm overloaded only to then figure out which items I want to have back when I'm back in Grand Soren. I don't enjoy fiddling around in menus - in fact I want to spend as little time as possible in menus.

Does the game get easier by modding out the weight limit? Kinda! Do I have a lot more fun that way? Definitely.

Lanrutcon

This doesn't make any sense: you are assuming people can't exercise self-restraint; just because they could stock up on a crapload of healing items doesn't mean they are going to. That and it also ignores the fact that you can already carry a crapload of healing items even with the normal carrying capacity.

I just ran from another zombie dragon. If I had no weight limits I'd go to town, spend a few million on the big heal/stamina potions, go back and just off the dragon on consumables alone. As it is I can't carry enough stamina consumables with my current damage output to stay on him indefinitely. Pawns are irrelevant, they get insta killed by most dragons anyway. You can't transfer items off downed pawns. Being able to carry infinite items myself breaks the game.

Like I said: people can do what they want, but to say it isn't going to make the game a breeze is naive.

I'm enjoying the game but feeling a little overwhelmed.
I'm at gran soren now, spoke with some people and got a lot of quests, I guess main progress comes from doing stuff around?
Also about the classes, I just changed my strider in an assassin, is it too soon? I don't understand the thing about "core skills", when do I get them?
And for last, should I just buy new gear or upgrade it too? I feel like a waste of resources if I can get new and better gear

Top Bottom