• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC |OT| Wolves hunt in 4K

ParityBit

So I just finished Pillars of Eternity and was thinking of starting this game.

It seems like people mention a lot of different MODS. Are they must haves? Or are there any I should really get before starting or should I just play vanilla?

Grief.exe

oh the portcrystals stay there forever? you are essentially creating a new "hearthstone" location?

Seems like you can move them too, but they are indefinite.

So I just finished Pillars of Eternity and was thinking of starting this game.

It seems like people mention a lot of different MODS. Are they must haves? Or are there any I should really get before starting or should I just play vanilla?

Gedosato is a must right now.

Inject SMAA, debanding, and HUD removal.

ENB is still in the early days of optimization, but it's there.

Waiting on preset by Zexen

So, made some progress with the ENB and no Hydra was harmed in 8 hours of gametime.

I really hope that some artists will work on textures mods.

Steel

Banned
So I bought the game and started as a mage cause I always thought the magic spells in the game look rad. But....I kinda hate it? Tell me if I'm doing something wrong but in every battle I'm just hanging back, doing not really much except for casting spells. It's....kinda weird cause...I KNOW that's what mages do, it just feels super boring and detatched to me here for some reason.
Hang back, cast fire spell, cast fire spell again, run away when an enemy comes etc.
Am I doing something wrong or a mages just not for me?

There are some mage/Sorceror spells that are a bit more involved. Try out brontide, for example, it's a lightning whip. Also, things get more interesting on the Sorceror end of things when the spells are really awesome.

If you end up not liking either one, there are hybrid magic classes like the magic knight and magic archer.

I don't know, that's why I said that in my post. I guess I'm just not feeling the mages in this game, usually I enjoy playing a ranged class but it feels unusually boring to me here. Good thing I'm not even an hour or so in. There is no way to switch class, right?

It's actually incredibly easy to switch back and forth between classes in the game. You can switch between basic classes in the encampment and you get advanced classes when you make it to the main city.

Jinaar

Anyone know of a fix on graphical settings to help with how bad my lantern at night looks?

Running GeDoSaToTool without much extra stuff running. I did play initially with the nvidia injector settings that were on the page 1 but I stopped those. I made my brightness darker recently because if it was any brighter, the lantern looks worst. Any thoughts/suggestions?

8xePQxG.jpg

there are some suggested areas to place portcrystals?

I always put mine at:

Bluemoon Tower
Bloodwater Beach
Shadow Fort
Cursewood Chapel
Greatwall
Duke's Manse
Stone of the North (fort to the north of Gran Soren)
Witchwood (at the exit ledge that is between Cassardis and the encampment)

I think you can find 4 Port Crystals arround the world (Bottom of the Everfall, Witchwood, Bluemoon, Shadow Fort?), and then once you reach a certain point in the story you can buy them from the Black Cat merchant in Gran Soren.

Cyrano

I don't know, that's why I said that in my post. I guess I'm just not feeling the mages in this game, usually I enjoy playing a ranged class but it feels unusually boring to me here. Good thing I'm not even an hour or so in. There is no way to switch class, right?
At level 10 and once you're in Gran Soren, you can switch class anytime you want and can switch to every class available (including the ones you didn't pick at the beginning).

edit: You can also start as a fighter or strider (archer).

You can switch vocations as much as you want once you're level 10, you just need to visit an inn.

ezekial45

Banned
thanks

so there are no more than 4 portcrystals? or these are only the must have?

Those are the must have spots. I don't recall the exact number of portcrystals.

oh the portcrystals stay there forever? you are essencially creating a new "hearthstone" location?

No, you can move them freely. Once you place it, it'll be a fast travel location. When you want to move it, just pick it up and move on to the next spot.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so double jump and forward roll (I assume the dodge?) are also magick archer skills, I just unlocked them, not just strider skills like someone said

I always put mine at:

Bluemoon Tower
Bloodwater Beach
Shadow Fort
Cursewood Chapel
Greatwall
Duke's Manse
Stone of the North (fort to the north of Gran Soren)
Witchwood (at the exit ledge that is between Cassardis and the encampment)

I think you can find 4 Port Crystals arround the world (Bottom of the Everfall, Witchwood, Bluemoon, Shadow Fort?), and then once you reach a certain point in the story you can buy them from the Black Cat merchant in Gran Soren.

oh there was one in witchwood? meh missed it

Steel

Banned
Do I have to start as a mage for that or can I start as a knight?

You don't need to restart. Switching classes is easy, and even suggestible as you carry over augments and sometimes even abilities(some skills are shared between magic knight sorcerer and mage, for example). Just go to the inn in the encampment to change to a different basic class, and later you'll be able to switch between all the advanced classes. Keep in mind that when you switch from a class once, you can switch back and forth for free.

so double jump and forward roll (I assume the dodge?) are also magick archer skills, I just unlocked them, not just strider skills like someone said

Who said that? Core skills are in common for all classes that use the same weapons, roll and double jump are tied to dual daggers. There are strider only skills, though

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What are most people using as far as control devices go, M&K or gamepad? The default scheme seems decent, but I'm finding it somewhat difficult to adjust from 150+ hours of using the triggers on my DS3. Has anybody decided upon a keyboard scheme for primary/secondary skills and sprinting that works really well for them?

Shadownet

Banned
I'm using GeDoSaTo with Alo81's configs right now. But the game keep crashing on startup because "enable postprocesssing" is set to true instead of false.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Nvm: fixed. I guess if you messed with it long enough, you'll bound to get lucky.

Cyrano

They're skills for the "Strider" class more generally, which includes Magick Archer, Strider, Assassin, Ranger.

Mages, Mystic Knights, Magick Archers and Sorcerers share some abilities, as do Warriors, Mystic Knights, Fighters and Assassins.

Lux R7

oh there was one in witchwood? meh missed it

no you didn't, it becomes available later during the second quest in witchwood.

I played this for a bit on the PS3, then I used sprint on the PC and was like wow. Performance wise I wasn't happy on the PS3, glad to give it another go on the PC.

I need some help with my build, want to go Assassin. Like the playstyle of having low health and high damage, but my concern is I don't want to get one shotted or two shotted. Should I start Fighter? Seems better since he gets higher hp, atk and def.
The main question is, Will choosing all Assassin give me enough defensive stats to not get one shotted or two shotted? I really don't want that too happen. Thanks for the input.

gunbo13

I skipped the console version way back when due to the frame rate. Now playing this silky smooth on my 970 and that's quite acceptable. I turned off FXAA, dat blur, and put on driver 8x. Hope that is wise. 4K with DSR was too much but oh well.

Few things
  1. Thank the heavens for the FOV adjustment. Was this in the console version? I felt smacked into the screen before adjusting to about +6.
  2. I'm an action game vet & nut. Combat right now is very chaotic but I'm trying to adjust. Is there a button to toggle an improved display to tell enemy from foe? It seems like chaos right now.
  3. So no hard lock on?
  4. Have to turn off as much as possible with the UI. At default it was a complete mess and I couldn't see a thing.
Only put a little over an hour but seems pretty fun. So far the combat isn't a selling point for me but has potential. The confusing battles is my biggest pain point right now so hopefully I have ways to adjust.

IMACOMPUTA

Redid my Terminator. I used that cheat program that was linked earlier to edit my pawn. Worked well!
Is there a way to know if anybody has used your pawn?
dddat800r4k7d.jpg
dddajohn2rk7h.jpg

P.S. Shout out to Monika! That big beautiful woman...

Zakalwe

Banned
Anyone know of a fix on graphical settings to help with how bad my lantern at night looks?

Running GeDoSaToTool without much extra stuff running. I did play initially with the nvidia injector settings that were on the page 1 but I stopped those. I made my brightness darker recently because if it was any brighter, the lantern looks worst. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Looks like your lantern is out of oil.

Steel

Banned
I just want to run around smashing everything with the biggest sword I can find. But I've heard the Warrior vocation isn't great. Is that true?

The warrior vocation is fine. Mostly people complain that it isn't as versatile as other classes, but beyond that it can wreck anything in its path. Great augments, too.

Lux R7

have you disabled hdr?

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in this thread but I can't find it: Are other people having graphical issues where the shades of black are showing as defined bars? It looks really bad when it's dark out. I'm using a Radeon 6970.

Grief.exe

I just want to run around smashing everything with the biggest sword I can find. But I've heard the Warrior vocation isn't great. Is that true?

Second best attack gain on levelup with best HP gain, but only have access to three skills.

I'd imagine we will see a mod that allows players to carry 6 skills at some point.

I had forgotten how brutal the lack of autosave is in this game. Lost hours of progress already.

I lost some progress when I first started playing, then I found out about Save and Continue.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned in this thread but I can't find it: Are other people having graphical issues where the shades of black are showing as defined bars? It looks really bad when it's dark out. I'm using a Radeon 6970.

Yes, it was an issue on consoles as well.

See this post for a possible solution:

Durante implemented muti-pass shading into GeDoSaTo, so Deband should be accessible whenever it updates through adding the following to your DDDA config file

enablePostprocessing true
addProcessingPass deband.fx

Deband shader.

Cyrano

They don't have a great Attack gain on levelup and only have access to three skill pre-sets, but are good for HP gain and fun to play.

I'd imagine we will see a mod that allows players to carry 6 skills at some point.
There already is a 6 skill edit, but it's a hack (uses CheatEngine).

Also, Warriors have the second-best attack gain per level in the game. They only gain 1 less attack than Assassins per level. They also have the best HP gain in the game. They're pretty great if you just wanna run around and hit stuff with a big-ass sword/hammer/swingable object.

Sophia

I had forgotten how brutal the lack of autosave is in this game. Lost hours of progress already.

Was kicking my ass earlier in regards to bandits. Kept having to track back to where I was, because the save was pretty far back. I eventually got smart enough to save the game manually near the bandits so I didn't have to run back for a minute or two. :\

Grief.exe

So wait, is it saying that DD by default, does not render things correctly for perforamance reasons?

Wow

Anyway, guys, I'm having FPS drops to the 50's in Gran Soren. 980 Ti at 1440p with everything default.
Anyone else in the same situation?

Try alt-tabbing.

I noticed that I would dip into the 30's with reduced GPU usage, I would alt-tab then it would fix itself.

There already is a 6 skill edit, but it's a hack (uses CheatEngine).

Also, Warriors have the second-best attack gain per level in the game. They only gain 1 less attack than Assassins per level. They also have the best HP gain in the game. They're pretty great if you just wanna run around and hit stuff with a big-ass sword/hammer/swingable object.

I actually have your post bookmarked from the other thread, I didn't realize Warrior was actually so good to level up in that case.

You get almost as good Attack gain as Assassin, but GOAT HP gain. I edited my post with more accurate information.

Here are your min/max options.
For max MATK - Mage from 1-10, Sorcerer from 10-200.
For max ATK - Fighter from 1-10, Assassin from 10-200.
For Max HP - Fighter from 1-10, Warrior from 10-100, Mystic Knight from 100-200.
For Max Stamina - Strider from 1-10, Ranger from 10-100, Assassin from 100-200.

There you go.

Defense stats are worthless and mostly determined by your gear. Better to have resistances to debuffs and negative battlefield effects than high defense.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Stat_Growths

I wouldn't really recommend doing this.

Jinaar

have you disabled hdr?
HDR was set as default: EnableBloom false

As for oil, lantern is full and still the crappy glow. Still playing around with settings with no luck.

EDIT: found it, you got me thinking and under the regular DDDA video options, HDR was set to HIGH, changed to LOW and voila. Much better. Thanks for getting my brain to troubleshoot :)

Ferr986

Does Gedosato have some performance impact?
I just want the deband thing for night times, but if it has some impact on fps I may have to pass.

Shadownet

Banned
I actually have your post bookmarked from the other thread, I didn't realize Warrior was actually so good to level up in that case.

You get almost as good Attack gain as Assassin, but GOAT HP gain. I edited my post with more accurate information.

So how are you planning on leveling your character with this new info?

Edit: Could I use sweetfx the same time as gedosato? or is it redundant? Cause there are some really nice preset with sweetfx that idk if you can get with gedosato.

Cyrano

Thanks, glad I was helpful! ^^

Yeah, their HP gain is crazy compared to pretty much every other class, at least from 10-100. It scales weirdly after 100, presumably because the designers realized giving that much HP may have made for some overly tank-y tanks. Can get around even that by just switching to Mystic Knight or Fighter for levels 100-200 (Figher/Mystic Knight both have 15 HP growth per level from 100-200).

so ENB is not working with Reshade ?

I see they both need a d3d9.dll

you can make a proxy library to reshade in enb... rename reshade32.dll to rs_d3d9.dll and then add:

Code:
[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=
ProxyLibrary=rs_d3d9.dll

in enblocal.ini

Grief.exe

So how are you planning on leveling your character with this new info?

So far I've done Fighter > Assassin

Nothing has really changed as I always intended on some Warrior levels since you get tons of HP, and now Attack as well.

I might do some Sorcerer to get some Magic Attack, but the ultimate goal is Mystic Knight.

I think I understand what's fundamentally wrong about the keyboard and mouse controls now: They don't behave like the gamepad controls. On the gamepad, when you hold the button for your bow to aim, you can use all three skills at once + fire regular shots off your bow. On the keyboard and mouse, you have to switch to bow mode to fire regular shots and aim, but this aiming is also separate from the button that uses skills. It's weirdly mapped, and even changing the keybindings can't fix the unnatural setup of having the abilities separated like that.

Also on an unrelated note, ENB + Sunset = gorgeous. Wish I had gotten a shot at 1440p using the uncompressed option tho. Buuut I was slightly sidetracked at the time. ><;

I believe you can shoot a regular arrow while still using the same bow button that has skills also by hitting F. You could map this to something on your mouse maybe?

Top Bottom