• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub PlayStation Plus Edition (Out Now)

It's not free.

Ergh not this age old argument, pretty certain when I purchase it from the store it takes nothing from my wallet....

Yes we all understand that you need PS+ membership to purchase it. But really for all intents and purposes, yes it's free, you aren't paying anything additional to your already paid for subscription.

//DEVIL//

I am going to enjoy running over all the new noobs in the game >_>
jk

It's an awesome game. i am glad many people will enjoy it

online mode ≠ multiplayer

Right, multiplayer is even worse. Nothing but destruction derby. If you want to take the time to race with only people you know or in leagues, there might be fun to have, but I doubt people holding out for the free version of this game are going to be playing that kind of multiplayer. I guess the features I were describing as online are "club" features. No aspect of online, club or multiplayer are going to save this game for you if you don't get any joy from the racing itself. That was my advice for those asking if they should buy the full version if they aren't quite feeling it now in the PS+ version.

Nyx

To celebrate this version I just took the F40 for a spin on Nilgiri Hills with dynamic weather and it still gets my blood pumping like no other racing game before.

8 months in, still soooo good.

I pray for another season pass with new locations, tracks and cars. Day 1.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't understand... do you DL the Full Game Trial? Aren't those just like an hour or whatever?

YomommaZ

For some reason I thought that 25€ upgrade gets me the full game with season pass. I'd bite that but for 50€ I think I'm gonna wait a little...

MMaRsu

Is this game actually fun?
I read the Giant Bomb review and Jeff said it didn't play well.
Don't wanna wait for an inevitably massive download if it's meh.

Jeff sucks at racing games, he didnt take time to learn the handling system.

GReeeeN

where can I download this version?

I see an option for a "try this demo" in the PS+ upgrade version, but cant find anything else regarding the ps+ edition

Theonik

I don't understand... do you DL the Full Game Trial? Aren't those just like an hour or whatever?
You can DL a cut down version of the game for free or buy the game outright. You can upgrade that cut version of the game for a fee that is about the same as buying the game outright but your new copy will stop working if you run out of PS+.

Evolved1

Nah its not a trail you are good to go.

Okay. Man that was a poor way to advertise it... I imagine many will be as confused as me. Since PS+ has been doing those full game trials (which are completely retarded) for years now.

Blastoise

Banned
I really want people to like this game. It got so much hate in the press last year. But it eventually turned into a fantastic product.

nw3

It's not a Sim racer if that's what you're saying, but it's definitely among the most (if not the most) realistic handling simcade racers out there (compared to GRID, SHIFT, Project Gotham Racing etc). There's a much greater sense of weight to the vehicles, and traction simulation is more realistic than any of the aforementioned games. The handling is not as twitchy, or dramatic in terms of drifts and physics defying movements compared to these other simcade racers, though it's still certainly considerably more grounded than actual sim racers, which tend to be far more punishing, and much more realistic overall, naturally. Even then, the gulf between the handling in say Driveclub, compared to games like Need for Speed, Burnout, Ridge Racer and so on, is still astronomical, and why it's not referred to as an Arcade racer.

I drive a '94 Porsche 911 in real life and I actually find Driveclub with a controller MUCH closer to what it's like driving the Porsche compared to Project Cars with a controller. So there you go.........

pager99

You can DL a cut down version of the game for free or buy the game outright. You can upgrade that cut version of the game for a fee that is about the same as buying the game outright but your new copy will stop working if you run out of PS+.

No it won't

No it doesn't. It works like everything else you buy with a PS+ discount.

Jeff sucks at racing games, he take time to learn the handling system.

100% this. GB needs to stop letting him review racing and driving games (Yes I know he runs it). Car enthusiasts ≠ racing enthusiast. You can be absolutely obsessed with cars and still know fuck all about driving them. His insistence that FFB racing wheels are some sort of silly toy for racing sims should tell you all you need to know. It is the equivalent of giving every PC FPS game to review to the one guy in the office who says keyboard and mouse is a stupid control scheme. I have my own problems with Driveclub, but take any racing game review from Jeff with a half a grain of salt. Drew needs to be the GB car/racing game guy going forward.

Evolved1

Lol the patch is 3x bigger than the game download.

That got a chuckle.

Jeff sucks at racing games, he take time to learn the handling system.

Nah, come on. He just didn't like it, doesn't mean he is bad at racing games, and he, like all of us can be wrong sometimes.

I really enjoyed my time with this game though, but paying any more than £20 for it would have left a bitter taste personally. Obviously some people got a lot more out of it, so it's worth more to them. I also prefer tracks to point to point races, so I could have done with less of those in this game.

Still, the closest thing to Gotham Racing we're going to get any time soon.

It wasn't a bitch, and you cut the bit out about me being a supporter of the game.

People were just saying they could have released it months ago, but just an offline version. I simply stated, as an owner of the game since day 1, that the offline version is quite dull - it loses everything the game is about.

Functions fine obviously, looks great, handles great - but it's just barebones. So therefore, if they had have released it in offline mode and then spent a decade bringing it online, people would have formed an opinion that the game is legless and drab after their initial sessions and they'd become tired of going 'THE GRAPHIXXXXXX OMGGG'.

So better to hold back until you can be sure you can bring that online functionality into the game quickly and ensure people's opinion of the game will be the best it can be, so they're motivated to upgrade.
Wasn't calling you a bitch! I was agreeing with you and then added the comment about free. :)

CREMSteve

Question, game downloaded and when I clicked to launch, it said there was an update... Which then failed to download. Is this normal?

Edit - nvm, my hdd was full lol

Servbot24

Banned
Nah, come on. He just didn't like it, doesn't mean he is bad at racing games, and he, like all of us can be wrong sometimes.

There's opinion, and then there's being completely unable to see things from other perspectives. I might think Skyrim is a bad game for example, but I can still understand what other people are getting out of it.

There's opinion, and then there's being completely unable to see things from other perspectives. I might think Skyrim is a bad game for example, but I can still understand what other people are getting out of it.
I stopped reading reviews months ago for this. I hate Skyrim but love Hyperdimension Nep for example. Compare reviews of those two games...so I buy games on sale and make my own opinion. Screw reviews.

Top Bottom