• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm thinking driving at night is completely different to driving at noon?
I don't think so, personally.

So your point is, pointless. It adds nothing to the the discussion. Right I get it.
It was directly related to the post I initially responded to. Not anything else, which you seem to keep ignoring.

Anyways, I will take my leave. A lot of people are getting quite defensive now, obviously.

Exactly what I was expecting from reviews. I think a lot of it has to do with them delaying the game a year and still having to patch in a bunch of the content post-launch.

I'll probably stick with the PS+ version unless later updates really put the game over the top.

I honestly think Bloodborne will be the first PS4 game with a high metacritic score.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Playstation Universe said:
DRIVECLUB blends the complexity of realistic simulation with inviting mechanics and gives just enough leeway to evoke heart-pumping power and intensity in every kind of racing fan

Game saved.

Some german reviews:

Playfront - 9.0
https://playfront.de/test-driveclub-edelracer-teamgeist-haube/

ComputerBild - 1.88 (they have grade system from 1 to 6. 1 beeing the best)
http://www.computerbild.de/artikel/cbs-News-PS4-Driveclub-Sozial-Racer-Test-8135730.html

Gameswelt - 8.0
http://www.gameswelt.de/driveclub/test/die-perfektion,229913,2

Gamona - 77
http://www.gamona.de/games/driveclub,test-ps4:article,2541906,page-fazit.html
Extreamly weird review. He calls it the new Ridge Racer. Dislikes the sound.(also the missing music)

I'll add more, but most german sites aren't uploading their reviews right when the embargo lifts.

EGM1966

I just checked the wiki page and wow GTA 6 looks like it really underperformed.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,660,000
Gran Turismo 5 10,910,000
Gran Turismo 6 2,340,000^

/\ And those were the updated sales for June 2014.

They really should have moved GT6 to PS4 probably targeting this holiday season. Launching when it did after PS4 hype really hurt it I believe. I guess there's a view GT5 reception might have hurt it too but to be honest with more than 10 million sales it surely couldn't have had that much impact - apart from raising question of why to buy GT6 on PS3 vs waiting for PS4 iterations.

Cubed

Oh my. The response is even worse than I expected, and I'm referring to the posts in here responding to the reviews.

A 74% is a solid start to an IP. I can't believe some people are being serious when they say this is a flop. Do you think a 74% metascore and millions of copies sold would sadden Sony?

I'm not even saying that they are definitely going to sell millions, but let's just say they do: a 74% on metacritic will not bother anybody at Evo or Sony. I could see Sony maybe being concerned if this was universally panned, but that isn't how this is playing out. So, as long as Sony makes even a small profit on this game Evo will be okay and we will likely see a DC 2.

Izuna

Banned
You should buy one then.

Just a quick sample of your post history clearly indicates your insatiable lust for FH2 and constant need to defend the system in XB1/ps4 gfx threads.

Hopefully a mod takes some time to look at it, I for one am tired of seeing you pop up in nearly every thread to be negative about DC and ecstatic for FH2.

Moving on.

What is wrong with having an opinion and stating it in a game discussion thread? Wait, so is being a fan of something a bad thing?

A mod probably has already looked at these posts, backseat moderation is not allowed here.

what a disappointing bunch of reviews...makes you wonder how bad the game was before the delay.

I personally think it may have been intended to be a PS+ adoption driver at launch, to get all those that weren't used to having it being mandatory for multiplayer and other online features in the previous generation off the fence. A racing F2P 'Home' that would evolve over time with additional DLC and microtransactions. From the varying levels of miscommunication or mishearing over the year over how much would be offered on PS+, the abrupt change in who led the project and some talk of how the programmers wanted it to be 60fps over the art director's insistence upon more visual beauty at its cost, I think it was mainly aimed at being a smaller launch project using lessons learned from Evolution's last title, Motorstorm RC. Something to fill in the gap between now and GT7. The dropping of microtransactions, the universal complaints of thin content in the package, the apparently casual-friendly level of course design that looks further from more demanding technical racers, and the focus on online play and social modes for which PS+ subs would be required point to a conversion to full-priced game from something else.

As usual in this thread, all of a sudden reviews matter. You go to any individual threads including the Drive Club thread as we speak and you will find plenty of people its not a unanimous decision that the game is really fun, obviously extraordinary looking, and generally much better than what somebody's opinion in a review outlet has to say.

So keep asking yourself this question, if previews matter this much whether a game scores higher or lower, then you should really stop investing so much into being upset over the scores. Its just someone's opinion and in this case Drive Club seems to be a very good game that is very fun and it is going to continue to improve. Enjoy the game.

What a bizarre comment. It's a review thread, of course reviews matter here.

Jlaw-okay.gif
Obviously imo...if you're into driving sims it's unmatched. There's a reason why it's the most successful racing franchise of all time, with 60 million sold.

cheezcake

Exactly what I was expecting from reviews. I think a lot of it has to do with them delaying the game a year and still having to patch in a bunch of the content post-launch.

I'll probably stick with the PS+ version unless later updates really put the game over the top.

I honestly think Bloodborne will be the first PS4 game with a high metacritic score.

What other PS4 exclusives are coming out before Bloodborne?

Will LittleBigFloatyControls or The Order break the 80 MetaCritic ceiling!?

Killzonemetacritic.png

knackcritic.png

infamouscritic.png

destinycritic.png

driveclubcritic.png

*adopts the deep, booming voice of movie trailer narrator guy*

IN A WORLD WHERE RESOGUN, THE LAST OF US REMASTERED AND MLB 14 DON'T EXIST, AND DESTINY ISN'T A THIRD-PARTY, MULTI-PLATFORM TITLE...

wtf is "romance" in a racing game?

wtf is up with some of these reviews, particularly the CVG one? Does the game need flying dick dragons and shit to be interesting to them? It's a driving game, let me drive sweet cars on a nice track and do it well and I'll be happy.

A racing game "focuses squarely on pure racing" and that's a bad thing. Shoot me now.

cackhyena

There are a lot of big name games coming out around this time that will almost definitely score higher than this (and some already have). Considering I don't have an endless supply of cash, I'm not going to buy a game in the 70s on metacritic. last time I did that (destiny) I was burned.
So try the + version. I'm not saying you still won't fall along the same lines in opinion when you're done, but it isn't set in stone. You might genuinely dig it. I hardly plan on buying any of the new games this year day one. Maybe Dragon Age or Far Cry 4. One of those. Black Friday deals await for the rest. I was all about Unity until I saw video and read previews yesterday. Sounded far too rough. I don't need to be a part of the day one hype. I just wish every game had a + version like this to give us a taste. An absurd dream, I know.

m@cross

Majority of the reviews are actually positive, those first few poor scores have set an incorrect impression.

I think the fact they let PS+ have it for free will really help people ignore the reviews and formulate their own opinions. Could end up selling a ton more of the game.

Looking beyond some of the actual scores (and it's far from a mess), what I'm reading in the text is that the game is good, pretty, and has a lot of content. I don't really expect or need more from a racing game.

The ~75 average is about what I expected.

It's a gorgeous, unapologetic, racing game. Not a whole lot of frills outside of that. It was never going to get 9s and 10s.

I'm surprised by the AI issues though.

I wonder what Rushy's take on that feedback is?

Yeah, because games about driving on a track have never reviewed well before...

But it is reviewing pretty well. There are nearly as many 8's and 9's as there are 6's and 7's. A mixed reception like that definitely warrants the game a hand's on try before dismissing it. Thanks to the ps+ demo many of us will at least get a chance to do that and see where we fall in that wide range of critical reception. One thing I learnt from last gen was not to dismiss games in the 70 - 79 metacritic range. Other wise I would have missed out on games like Deadly Premonition, Nier and many jrpgs which for some reason almost always get below 80 on metacritic - like the Tales games for example.

If I understand him correctly he's talking about the lighting system, not the lights on/off difference. Of course a night race will be different but whether your headlights are baked or dynamic is purely for 'effect'.

Same with "dynamic ever evolving cloud cover". It's purely aesthetic. I mean, I still hold GT3 up as one of the best sim racers made and it didn't have any of that stuff. The "type" of lighting and dynamic weather that's in now outside of day/night doesn't affect your line.

If it's cloudy I won't slow down. If it's night and my headlights reflect off a tree "dynamically" or not at all in the background I'm not changing my driving line/speed.

Snow and rain will affect it, sure, but what's included in the game right now, the lighting system used and cloud effects wouldn't affect my driving whatsoever. Even the completely IN YOUR FACE sun of Forza 4 and Horizon didn't cause for changing your driving speed. Even in AC where you can change the time of day it doesn't really affect it (none that I have found but I haven't played every course at every time of a day in every car, so who knows?)

But if the lights are baked, you are either racing in daylight or at night. You can't have a race start during the day and then finish at night or have lighting conditions change in real time during the race. I think we can all agree that would have an effect on gameplay.

w00zey

Whole game should have just been a ps+ game and then hope that driveclub 2 would get enough of a following to be a huge hit.

george_us

All of these reviews are odd. It feels like the game is being penalized for not being revolutionary. All of them have remarked that the game plays very well.

Valentus

What the fuck is happening with sony's internal studios???

Is that only Druckmann can do things right in that company?

Luckily, we can play the plus version and judge by ourselves. I was very hype with this game, i hope at least it would be fun.

KingJolly

Banned
Another dissapointing PS4 exclusive it seems. Third party games are what are holding up current gen platforms at the minute.
Alas the only racer I was (am) looking forward for is the Crew

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Majority of the reviews are actually positive, those first few poor scores have set an incorrect impression.

I think the fact they let PS+ have it for free will really help people ignore the reviews and formulate their own opinions. Could end up selling a ton more of the game.
Usually demos are not a good decision if you want to maximize sales.
People get their fill with the demo and don't buy the full version.

What is important that there is access to this and everyone with a PS4 and PS+ can by paying 17GB of bandwidth test it for themselves.

So it's a game where you race nice cars on a track?

That's kind of what I was looking forward to. Sick of all the extra shit. Only criticism I can understand is the lack of cars. I'm not gonna begrudge a track raver for being a track racer.

Top Bottom