• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Nyx

5/10 from metro gamecentral

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/07/driveclub-review-driving-penalty-4895912/

In Short: A game that should probably have been cancelled rather than delayed, with its complete absence of personality or new ideas.

Pros: The graphics are excellent and the driving model is a good balance between accessibility and realism. Plenty of cars, all of which look great.

Cons: Utterly soulless on every level, with a bland single-player experience and online options that seem oblivious to the fact that Autolog already exists.

I'm starting to get the feeling these sites are joking....

T.O.P

Banned
Karma's a bitch

karma0tceu.png
:lol

SmokyDave

An average of 70-75 ain't the end of the world. Neither is the idea that Forza Horizon 2 might well be a better game. Cats get way too caught up in this stuff.

Paganmoon

They use the school grading system. In German schools a 1 is the same as an A, a 2 is a B etc.

No idea why the go as far as saying 1.88 though. "1-" or "2+" would have made more sense

But... is 2+ higher or lower than 2-?? :) 2- logically should mean a lesser 2, which means it should be closer to 2.0 and 2+ a higher to, closer to 2.9. this does not make any sense!

TTOOLL

I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong, but the premise of the game was always "get your car, join a club and race." Nothing else, if it does it well I'm in.

unless they make it into a open-world racer with soul they shouldn't even bother imo

Actually, no, watch GT7 get better reviews than DC despite still reusing PS2 models and sound and not having modelled cockpits just because of the brand name.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about that last part. Bigger brands tend to get treated differently by many reviewers imo.

Uh...dude. Pgr formula isn't what driveclub embodies.

PGR is racing in cities with tight corners and getting points for lots of style and drifting

Not only that, but PGR works off of a gambling system with its Kudos as chips you're piling up to bet on a bigger payout at the risk of losing it all. I've not seen anything of the sort in DC, but FH2 has it. I wonder where all of the 'DC is like PGR' comments come from when it doesn't seem to resemble it at all in terms of mechanics or its highly technical racing challenge. Maybe it's the handling model. Guess I'll find out when I play the PS+ edition.

jbug617

Banned
Just watch GB quick look. Seems like they have something going with the social aspects so I think the could fix some things in a sequel. I think the game will sell because all PS4 exclusives sell very well.

What's the story behind this?

He tweeted out that he was disappointed at the game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to admit, in one sense I would be happy if it really is so "plain". I was getting a bit sick of the over the top extreme sports and pseudo-celebrity career presentation of racing games the past generation. Like where every other game has some sultry female or borrowed voice of a pro sport racer constantly blubbering at the player. About what a sexy super class racing genius you're becoming, etc. It was so transparently concocted pandering to a perceived, stereotypical frat boy personality that the developers felt must be entreated to like a petulant manchild demanding constant reassurance of their own significance.

An average of 70-75 ain't the end of the world. Neither is the idea that Forza Horizon 2 might well be a better game. Cats get way too caught up in this stuff.

Yup. I think I'm going to enjoy both just fine.

Like I said though, switching back and forth between the two is going to be weird. They're very different games. DriveClub really penalizes you for shoddy racing while you can smash and hit everything in FH2 and the game almost rewards it.

PerZona

This is why I don't trust gaming reviews anymore. The reviews are all over the place for this game. Classic example would be Destiny, reviews are average but I spent a ton of fun in the game. And it's like a MMO, how is it supposed to be rated? When the patches are out would these gaming sites change their review? Nope.

These days I would just watch some gameplay videos online to decide instead, much easier. Wouldn't care much about review gaming scores, what a waste of time.

Kinyou

That PSU review reads like copypaste of a commercial.

They are so gonna featured in a Accolades trailer
As soon as a site has a brand name in it's title it pretty much loses all credibility to me. I can't imagine why anyone who runs a site would want to do that, unless they actually receive benefits from Sony, MS or nintendo

-Snooze-

Banned
Whenever a hyped game, be it this, Destiny, etc gets slammed in reviews, there's always a bunch of people criticizing review for any number of pretentious reasons.

Fact is we pay a lot of money for games, we ARE entitled to expect quality and a decent amount of content.

We are not paying for promises, our purchases aren't investments into the games development.

It seems to me, that whilst DriveClub (which I have preordered, and intend to enjoy) is a very pretty game, and a competent racer, there's just not enough there to justify high scores, it perhaps lacks in other areas too which make the game fundamentally fun.

Reminds me of the old argument SONY fanboys would bring up when comparing GT reviews to Forza - "Forza may be the better game, but GT is the better driving sim" Never understood this argument, as they're both games, one just being more complete.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
wish martin robinson did the review on eurogamer. he's the main person i trust on racing games, not really sure what to make of this spread of reviews.
You can just try it yourself.

And after playing it you can compare notes with whose reviewer echoes your feelings the most and then when a game comes out that doesn't allow you to play the full game (feature/patchlevel wise) as a test you can look towards them when making a purchasing decision in the future.

dannethmps

Neo Member
don't think I will ever understand some reviews, excellent graphics, great looking cars, good game model etc, but no personality and soulless here have 5/10

VanWinkle

In Short: A game that should probably have been cancelled rather than delayed, with its complete absence of personality or new ideas.

Pros: The graphics are excellent and the driving model is a good balance between accessibility and realism. Plenty of cars, all of which look great.

Cons: Utterly soulless on every level, with a bland single-player experience and online options that seem oblivious to the fact that Autolog already exists.

The cons, I'm sorry, are ridiculous. Soulless bland single player? What in the WORLD could they have done differently to a closed track racer to make it less bland? Add DJ Atomica? No thank you. And online options that seem oblivious to the fact that Autolog exists? HUH? What does that MEAN? That they should have just taken the options out since another racer already has a solution for online options? I mean, what kind of complaint is that?

WoolyNinja

This is just getting too weird - so a driving game that has great driving and awesome graphics is rated a 5/10 for being sterile and soulless? Isn't all you want out of a driving game to have great driving and awesome graphics?

I could understand a 7/10 with those complaints but a 5/10?

Clockwork5

So far the overall negative consensus I am reading about this game is it does not do enough new things or social things or is not "next gen" enough to warrant a positive review score.

Well I don't know about the rest of you but I pretty much look for one thing out of a racing game (especially if it resides somewhere in the middle of arcade and simulation)... Having a good time while driving fast.

As such I feel for my own personal needs DC is going to very much meet my expectations, but if people really do need more out of the game itself then just the base premise of said game, they indeed may be disappointed.

I just feel like gaming journalists take things way too seriously at the end of the day. This is video games we are talking about. While they can in fact be very serious in nature, ultimately they are meant to be a fun experience. It is hard to write about fun without coming off as not very serious. As such they feel the need to be serious in order to be taken seriously. It is quite the catch 22. However being so serious goes against the very nature of video games in the first place. To have fucking fun.

I get your post and agree with much of it, however, it seems as though this game does not hit an exceptionally high bar with the driving mechanics and has a few AI flaws. Thus as a somewhat barebones arcade racer got middling scores. Which is understandable. I'm still looking forward to trying out the plus version.

SmokyDave

Yup. I think I'm going to enjoy both just fine.

Like I said though, switching back and forth between the two is going to be weird. They're very different games. DriveClub really penalizes you for shoddy racing while you can smash and hit everything in FH2 and the game almost rewards it.
Dude I'm going to enjoy 'em both with a side-helping of The Crew and Project Cars. It's a great time for racing fans right now.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I am surprised so many reviews have concluded this game's quality without the social system even being tested by the masses. Sheesh.

nsignific

Banned
So, here's the thing. With one weird anomoly being Titanfall, reviewers have been using the full review scale far more like they should this gen. It's great, BUT, people are going to have to adjust their mindframes over what's good and bad.

A friend of mine embodies this by saying anything above 80 is above average. When confronted with the obvious flaw in that logic, he responded that he's going by what reviewers actually write to go along with their numbers.

So I'm glad to see this change, if what you say is true.

On topic; I'm still getting it, inspite of nearly getting banned for predicting this earlier ... A lot of what I enjoy in racing games is the atmosphere and this seems to deliver (or will, anyway, when the weather system is patched in).

The cons, I'm sorry, are ridiculous. Soulless bland single player? What in the WORLD could they have done differently to a closed track racer to make it less bland? Add DJ Atomica? No thank you. And online options that seem oblivious to the fact that Autolog exists? HUH? What does that MEAN? That they should have just taken the options out since another racer already has a solution for online options? I mean, what kind of complaint is that?

lol

Read the review

Audioboxer

What the fuck? This is coming from a UK outlet towards a UK dev as well. That comment is absolutely ridiculous.

Foshy

I'm not sure how you can come up with that so easily when PS4 is double Xbone's install base.

Install base isn't everything. Forza is a well known brand and there was a pre-launch demo that gathered a lot of great impressions and positivity. Driveclub is a new IP and the PS+ version and discounts encourage potential buyers to get it digitally.

I might be wrong, it's just my guess. But I don't think day 1 retail sales will be very good. Bundles will certainly help it in the holiday season though.

Kinyou

But... is 2+ higher or lower than 2-?? :) 2- logically should mean a lesser 2, which means it should be closer to 2.0 and 2+ a higher to, closer to 2.9. this does not make any sense!
lol, I know it's weird. Not much logic in it, just that "+" always stands for better.

Top Bottom