• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

drotahorror

Buddy picked up his copy at gamestop today. Had 3 copies, 2 were pre order.

And yes, this game is awesome. Screw the reviews. It's not the second coming of racers, but it's fun as hell to play.

Reminds me of old school NFS.

Faith

So lets take a look at the racing games of 2014:

4234x0qus.png

Well, that doesn't look good for Sony.

ironcreed

Banned
Wow at the Gamespot review. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to trying the PS+ version at the least. If I enjoy it enough, I may even buy it later. The game looks great.

These may be the most mixed review scores I've seen in a long time.

Hardly surprising.

The elephant in the room, when it came to the games media over DC is that there's an impression that DC is not that exciting. However, the previews have praised its controls and overall mechanics, so it's not about the gameplay, so it comes down to one thing.

The 'identity,personality' aka 'gimmick.'

DC, for what it's worth, have a very tame gimmick that doesn't sell well in trailers. No NFS chases. No Burnout insanity. No FH open-world. The Club aspect is real, but it's not built into the gameplay in a way that creates an extremely distinct gameplay experience.

And from a design standpoint, it's somewhat like Destiny too, in a way, where the devs have made some design decisions that feel contrary to the norms and checklist expected in the genre. The return to track, the penalties, the club limits, etc... all of them make sense for the type of experience DC is aiming for, but it's not necessarily a design decision that will be embraced by everyone.

And there's the content aspect.

Oersted

Encouraging cancellations of games output from our country when it is entirely unnecessary? Yes it does.

The remark is totally unfounded, even you don't like the game there is absolutely nothing that fundamentally wrong with it it should have been cancelled and the devs have suffered whatever fallout that entailed (layoffs/studio closing/whatever).

I'm not saying a UK based review should be favourable in it's scoring, I'm saying don't be disrespectful to your fellow industry men with a stupid remark like that.

They could have made a better game when they would have cancelled at the right point.

Note: I don't and won't say Driveclub is bad.

Is it just me or does Gamespots Kevin Vanord seem super salty the last year(s).

He pretty much always give the lowest scores for very undefined reasons.

Bland menu's??? Are you kidding me?

So ehm PSN refunds? do they do those? I was so worn out on destiny I was like drive club fuck yeah, but shit I kind of want to back out now. Especially with the free ps+ edition. They already took the money from my account though.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Are you trying to say that driving when it's cloudy is different to driving when it's sunny?

Really?

Are you being sarcastic? The sun in your eyes vs dead of night driving by headlights is the same?

It's a driving game, if you don't want to race fast cars in beautiful location then buy a different game. It doesn't need a story, just content update and post-release support. If you want to drive through an open world then play GTAV.

sense

overall the game seems to be diverse and doesn't seem to be universally panned or anything. game is only going to get better with patches and updates and 75 average doesn't mean bad like some of you seem to be implying.

Is the Metro review correct with the fact that someone bumping you from behind slows you down but not them. Thus online people can just come up behind you, hit you, swerve around and blow by?

From the 3 hours I played, I don't think that's how it works. Normal collisions only take away points but don't give you the slow down penalty, only major ones. It probably doesn't penalize the AI because well, it's the AI. But I bet if it happens online between two people the one causing the collision will get the slow down too.

The Lamp

not enough soul and innovation, bro.

I just don't understand, but maybe because I don't like realistic driving games. What is there to innovate and inspire? I thought the point was to make a pretty driving game that handles like a real car. Isn't that what driveclub is? Do people expect more from their realistic racers? The whole genre seems boring to me anyway so I can't figure out what else people expect from this game that the other driving games have. A few bugs and lack of content don't seem out of the ordinary for this genre. It's just a ton of realistic cars to choose from to drive on realistic roads.

Mascot

Karma's a bitch

karma0tceu.png

When this was first tweeted I remember thinking you'd have to be uber-confident in your own product before even thinking about criticising one from a fellow developer, especially one that's in direct competiton with you. It did seem very brash at the time, not to mention just a tad disrespectful.

that's the problem, not the scores themselves. What's the problem in being a track/circuit racer? This is not something simple at all and that is what the game is.

Open world racers, especially one as good as Horizon 2 pushes the boundaries and brings some excitement to the act of racing? So in that respect, it might be hard to go from a game that allows you to literally drive anywhere and has exciting races that see you driving through a wooded area at 100mph to one that's essentially doing nothing new or exciting.

I personally don't have a problem with a good old fashioned track/circuit racer, especially if they handle like PGR, but some might not be so happy with one and that's reflected in the reviews.

Qassim

I guess I can talk about it now, I played in those private cupcake betas a while ago. That's sort of why I'm no longer that interested in it..

Shaneus

If there was a PGR 5, it would be hyped beyond belief and I'm sure in the hands of its legacy devs (Playground, Codies, Sumo), it would be a brilliant game.
Driveclub is for all intents and purposes, PGR5. The project lead on both PGR3 and 4 works for Evo. Prior to those games, he worked on the driving/physics modelling for the first two games. If you're eschewing from positivity purely because you think those other three devs have closer ties to Bizarre and PGR than Evo, think again. Having played it for an hour (it only unlocked an hour ago in Australia) it's more PGR than any other title since PGR4, and I have a number of hours on both Horizon titles.

Ridley327

Wonder how The Order will score, have a feeling it's going to be another disappointment.

Previews have definitely not been the kindest for that game, so it would be quite surprising if there was a big change from that when it does come out. Not that it will matter much for Sony, since Bloodborne seems to be the real deal and will likely be their big critical darling for the first quarter of 2015.

I have watched lots of gamersyde videos on the TV at 1080p and it is very clear to me that they went with a focus on presentation and high detail on the cars and environments instead of sheer content and I think I am happy about that because no other racer looks like this. They built enough content to have a nice foundation for this title, as they are still going to add lots of cool stuff to the game, as well as a possible sequel.

From watching these vids I love how it plays and how it looks, but those that have it already, I just want to know if the game has just the right amount of content to keep you hooked for a considerable amount of time.

Loudninja

When this was first tweeted I remember thinking you'd have to be uber-confident in your own product before even thinking about criticising one from a fellow developer, especially one that's in direct competiton with you. It did seem very brash at the time, not to mention just a tad disrespectful.
Oh so he is not allow to buy a game and give his honest view on it?

Had a feeling with how hard they were pushing the "lifestyle" angle of DC that reviewers would take them to task if it turned out that aspect of it rang hollow, even if the actual racing part of this racing game-- the gameplay, the cars, the tracks & handling-- turned out to be pretty great.

Looking forward to firing up my PS+ Edition when I get home from work tonight, and will likely upgrade to the full edition down the road because I need those Scotland and Norway tracks. So pretteh.

Audioboxer

They could have made a better game when they would have cancelled at the right point.

Note: I don't and won't say Driveclub is bad.

?

They're making this engine to support further games down the line as well, whether that's Motorstorm or Driveclub 2, or even Wipeout running off of it.

You don't just chuck the towel in on a whole new engine unless it is fundamentally broken which it is not. If it were there would be no scores even hitting something like 8. The title/engine should never have been cancelled, it needed to be delayed, and who knows maybe holding off another month or two for weather and not being right next to FH2 would cause reviews to be better. But who cares about that in context of what I was saying, it's a disrespectful comment from metro without much weight behind it to have been the right choice to have them using powerful words like "in short: should have been cancelled".

Mohasus

Expected, watched lots of gameplay videos but never understood the hype expect for the graphics. Then people complain when crytek talks about it. I love double standards.

Krilekk

Banned
Review scores were entirely expected. Really should have launched before Horizon 2, I feel that game set a pretty high bar, one that a simple track/circuit racer was never going to be able to reach, amazing visuals or not.

Disappointing in a way, DC is probably the closest we're likely to get to a core PGR experience for some time. Horizon 2, for everything it does well, didn't really nail the handling in the same way.

I hope the somewhat poor reviews don't factor too heavily in the decision to fund a sequel.

According to Polygon Horizon 2 can be lucky it got a one week head start. LOL Video game reviews today are all over the place, seems like you can't rely on other people playing it for you anymore. Youtube Let's Play's might be better suited (aside from graphics for obvious reasons).

sikkinixx

Seems exactly where I figured it would be. Won't set the world on fire, should be fun to zip around the courses every little while. Will grab it once the disc version hits $20 etc

Edit: Also, good thing games run better on PS4 because that's all it has going for it this year. XBone exclusives this fall are far more compelling. Thank God Bloodborne is only a few months out.

OsirisBlack

Banned
The game is a a fun racing game that is all I expected from it and I am having a blast. Not sure why every game needs to reinvent the wheel but it seems if a game is not openworld with destructible environments, explosions or if the cars dont turn into jets and let you race in the air it just isnt enough now days. I really wonder how long some reviewers have been gaming as I would have hated to see their scores on some of my favorite sega genesis or snes games.

I don't see how that follows. He's a consumer and racing gamer himself. He's perfectly well within his rights to have felt disappointed by GRID. Does his status as a game director mean he can never comment publicly about another game?

Mr E.

So ehm PSN refunds? do they do those? I was so worn out on destiny I was like drive club fuck yeah, but shit I kind of want to back out now. Especially with the free ps+ edition. They already took the money from my account though.
Those release day embargo's do serve a purpose.
Why can't people just wait for the reviews?

Sorry to hear mate I feel your pain.

Top Bottom