• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

I still plan to play it for myself, regardless of reviews....But its's amazing how many people out there are rooting for this game to fail.

Personally, I'll be forever upset that they didnt just do another Motorstorm. Stick to what you know Evolution.

That's the director of Drive Club being disappointed at Grid. Grid currently has a higher score on Metacritic.

Woopdy....fucking....doo!!!

Last time I checked people were allowed to have an opinion and thoughts on games. No surprise that good ol' GAF start some BS relating to it, it wouldn't be GAF otherwise would it.

Will LittleBigFloatyControls or The Order break the 80 MetaCritic ceiling!?

Killzonemetacritic.png

knackcritic.png

infamouscritic.png

destinycritic.png

driveclubcritic.png

Don't know... I like their output so far:

Bt48WHu.png

Kssio_Aug

Its funny how people embrace that "no romance" statement, like that was said alone, if you read the review its pretty clear why they stated that:

It's a shame that one of the few ways that DriveClub expresses any kind of personality is in this jarringly punitive corner-cutting and collision penalty system.

Finish the final Legends Cup and there's no acknowledgement of your achievement whatsoever, you're just dumped unceremoniously back to the event list.

Grind a couple of levels to 25 by tidying up previous races or multiplayer events to unlock the irresistible force that is the Hennessey Venom GT and you'll be able to polish the final few events off and experience the same hollow victory.

. What there is, however, is the lingering sense that the gaps were supposed to be filled by the much-touted social features - the fires were to be stoked by human rivalry. Sadly, beyond those bite-sized Face Off challenges, which are essentially side missions, there's nothing particularly engaging or new here.

Not that I agree, but I understant what they meant.

jonno394

So Driveclub is a great looking game with great driving, so why the negativity?

Are reviewers going in to this with their expectations heightened due to open world games like FH2 and therefore marking this game down because it is not FH2?

I always intended to use the PS+ version as a trial to see whether I should buy the full game, and this is still the case.

nib95

Banned
don't think I will ever understand some reviews, excellent graphics, great looking cars, good game model etc, but no personality and soulless here have 5/10

No personality and soulless aren't even proper complaints. I don't actually know what they mean by these things. To me, when I see a gorgeous sunset and moving clouds above me, amazing vista's with exotic backdrops as far as the eye can see, hear the roar of the engine, the reflections of the opponents on my tail, that's emotive, and the kind of personality you want in a racer. Even more so given DriveClub's realistic graphics and lighting engine.

Daviii

Videogame reviews have been officially taken over by stupid metaphysical neo-bohemian pretentious pseudo-intellectual hipster bullshit that has been plaguing film reviews and which everybody fucking ignores because it's utterly laughable.

Well done. Now we cannot make the difference between a serious review and an attention-seeking poetical audiphile-grade bullshit anymore. Fucking great.

jiiikoo

Banned
I think he was disappointed because his wheel didn't work in the game.

The truly funny thing is that his wheel doesn't work in Driveclub either.

But that isn't Evo's fault. It was Sony's decision to lock out peripherals because they don't have the authentication chip or something similar.

What the fuck? This is coming from a UK outlet towards a UK dev as well. That comment is absolutely ridiculous.

And yet makes perfect sense when you read the review and realise the context is that it's talking about from sony's point of view regarding funding and delays. GC aren't going to do any favours just because the dev's from the uk anyway

Oersted

Woopdy....fucking....doo!!!

Last time I checked people were allowed to have an opinion and thoughts on games. No surprise that good ol' GAF start some BS relating to it, it wouldn't be GAF otherwise would it.

Everyone is sharing their opinion. What is your problem?

I expected these reviews honestly, these days you need a game that has 700 cars, 500 tracks and more useless content to review well, but anyway, to each his own i guess, i'm in love with the game personally.

Played Driveclub this morning and my god those graphics are AMAZING !!! Best looking racer ever easily, no question ! the Canada and Norway stages are gorgeous !!! and that is without any rain, snow...

Gameplay is right up my alley, feels like PGR with the sense of speed of Ridge Racer. I like the simplicity of the game, no bullshit, just pure racing and beating times.

I really love it and i'm happy i bought the game, can't wait to go back home and play more...

And, did i say the graphics are amazing ? holly hell, i can't wait for the weather patch and more stuff to come from this game.

EqicDodoO

This is just getting too weird - so a driving game that has great driving and awesome graphics is rated a 5/10 for being sterile and soulless? Isn't all you want out of a driving game to have great driving and awesome graphics?

I could understand a 7/10 with those complaints but a 5/10?

I don't understand that either.
This exactly is what i want this game to be.
A good racing game.
Nothing more nothing less.
Anyway on my way home with the game in my bag:D.

P.s to all the dutch people in here, mediamarkt is already selling it.

Have fun!

Videogame reviews have been officially taken over by stupid metaphysical neo-bohemian pretentious pseudo-intellectual hipster bullshit that has been plaguing film reviews and which everybody fucking ignores because it's utterly laughable.

Well done. Now we cannot make the difference between a serious review and an attention-seeking poetical audiphile-grade bullshit anymore. Fucking great.

not enough soul and innovation, bro.

Audioboxer

That should have absolutely no relevance whatsoever.

Encouraging cancellations of games output from our country when it is entirely unnecessary? Yes it does.

The remark is totally unfounded, even you don't like the game there is absolutely nothing that fundamentally wrong with it it should have been cancelled and the devs have suffered whatever fallout that entailed (layoffs/studio closing/whatever).

I'm not saying a UK based review should be favourable in it's scoring, I'm saying don't be disrespectful to your fellow industry men with a stupid remark like that.

Review scores were entirely expected. Really should have launched before Horizon 2, I feel that game set a pretty high bar, one that a simple track/circuit racer was never going to be able to reach, amazing visuals or not.

Disappointing in a way, DC is probably the closest we're likely to get to a core PGR experience for some time. Horizon 2, for everything it does well, didn't really nail the handling in the same way.

I hope the somewhat poor reviews don't factor too heavily in the decision to fund a sequel.

Servbot24

Banned
No personality and soulless aren't even proper complaints. I don't actually know what they mean by these things. To me, when I see a gorgeous sunset and moving clouds above me, amazing vista's with exotic backdrops as far as the eye can see, hear the roar of the engine, the reflections of the opponents on my tail, that's emotive, and the kind of personality you want in a racer. Even more so given DriveClub's realistic graphics and lighting engine.

Sounds like there's nothing much unique about the game, hence the Ridge Racer/10 scores.

i dont understand why dc dev couldnt import car data from gt devs, they are both sony studio so should be working together. that would save them time + boost the content then maybe we could have had weather and all those other features at launch

I haven't bought a PS4 game since MLB the Show. 90% of my PS4 games are the free indies from the PS+ monthly giveaways.

And it looks like I'm not buying another one until Bloodbourne comes out. And if that game turns out to be a dud, I'm just gonna sell off my PS4 and go full-in on a new Windows 10 Gaming PC.

jett

D-Member
But that isn't Evo's fault. It was Sony's decision to lock out peripherals because they don't have the authentication chip or something similar.

I know, it is just funny. :p

These may be the most mixed review scores I've seen in a long time.

It's ridiculous how most reviews seem to agree that the game plays well and looks good. Apparently the main thing that is missing is a psuedo non-story about cops vs. speeding drivers and/or an obnoxious DJ talking over the races. Too bad Evolution dropped the ball there.

Is the Metro review correct with the fact that someone bumping you from behind slows you down but not them. Thus online people can just come up behind you, hit you, swerve around and blow by?

EGOMON

Can't wait for when Sony announces 1million sales milestone for Driveclub, all the haters gonna lose their shit

Install base isn't everything. Forza is a well known brand and there was a pre-launch demo that gathered a lot of great impressions and positivity. Driveclub is a new IP and the PS+ version and discounts encourage potential buyers to get it digitally.

I might be wrong, it's just my guess. But I don't think day 1 retail sales will be very good. Bundles will certainly help it in the holiday season though.

Driveclub is a racing game on a platform devoid of racing games. You really think it's not going to sell well especially when PlayStation's legacy was born from racing gamers from Gran Turismo?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How about an amazing handling model and physics, the best sound effects in the business, a truly dynamic lighting and volumetric cloud system, intelligent track design with diverse graduation, elevation and speed differentials, aggressive and intelligent AI, and an on the fly social challenge system coupled with a solid online component?

Damage Control mode: On.

Yurinka said:
I just checked the wiki page and wow GTA 6 looks like it really underperformed.

Gran Turismo 10,850,000
Gran Turismo 2 9,370,000
Gran Turismo 3 14,980,000
Gran Turismo 4 11,660,000
Gran Turismo 5 10,910,000
Gran Turismo 6 2,340,000^

/\ And those were the updated sales for June 2014.

GT6 underperformed because it was a quick rush-job to release on PS3 before the PS4 launched. Most people were fine with GT5's delayed output (a lot were disappointed, sure, but a few were content to play it while waiting for GT6 to launch on PS4). Sony fucked up there mandating a PS3 version if that wasn't a Polyphony decision to "cash-in" on assets a la FF13-2/-3.

It's going to be interesting to see if the disappointment over GT5 carries into GT7. Especially if GT6 owners get the shaft in online modes like GT5 owners did when they didn't migrate over to GT6 to where Sony went "fuck you guys, *yoink online servers*" despite the fact that online servers for GT5 were still pretty populated.

hwateber

Wow, I finally found the words to describe how I currently feel about gaming press! Thanks for that

TTOOLL

Review scores were entirely expected. Really should have launched before Horizon 2, I feel that game set a pretty high bar, one that a simple track/circuit racer was never going to be able to reach, amazing visuals or not.

Disappointing in a way, DC is probably the closest we're likely to get to a core PGR experience for some time. Horizon 2, for everything it does well, didn't really nail the handling in the same way.

I hope the somewhat poor reviews don't factor too heavily in the to decision to fund a sequel.

that's the problem, not the scores themselves. What's the problem in being a track/circuit racer? This is not something simple at all and that is what the game is.

i dont understand why dc dev couldnt import car data from gt devs, they are both sony studio so should be working together. that would save them time + boost the content then maybe we could have had weather and all those other features at launch

Last gen data isn't good enough.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It's probably licensing. Just because car manufacturers allow their cars for one developer, that does not mean they allow them for all. Different contracts with different companies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's ridiculous how most reviews seem to agree that the game plays well and looks good. Apparently the main thing that is missing is a psuedo non-story about cops vs. speeding drivers and/or an obnoxious DJ talking over the races. Too bad Evolution dropped the ball there.

I've been more and more out of sync with reviewers in the past couple years. At this point I don't even understand them. So many games have gotten reviews that say they play very well but get knocked down for not being something they never intended to be. It's just stupid. I don't really care about racing games but I can't help but think that DC got hit with that as well.

Top Bottom