• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

I just remember the crazy Driveclub guy talking about how crazy they were about creating these cars and tracks and it immediately seemed like an enthusiast game to me. Cant really judge handling by videos either, my mistake.

That's OK, I think their messaging has been a bit confusing as well. They focus on the cars/tracks visually and gush about rendering every last detail, which in any racing game screams "racing sim", but then they have this halfway-between-sim-and-arcade that always confuses people anyway, and we end up with generally mixed signals as to what the game even plays like. I've always thought it's one of the things their marketing department has had an uphill battle on, how to get the "hnng supercarsss" feel without inadvertently communicating that it's a racing sim.

I haven't watched the GB quick look yet, but I've read Jeff's review, and several pages of this thread, and Amirox's posts, and I still don't know if this game is for me. I kind of just like to buy 1 racing game per generation because I don't play them that much. Last generation I played Grid and enjoyed it, and I've had a lot of fun with Real Racing 3 on the iPad (I've never paid for anything in it), but the thing I hate most about it is the online races where if you hit or go off road, you are forced to slow down. I guess if you could turn these penalty things off in DriveClub I might like it more, but since I'm very much a casual racer, I don't know if this game is for me. Or is it? Bah, I wish the PS+ version was available to download so I can find out for myself.

If you get enjoyment from RR3 on iPad you are going to adore this.

I haven't watched the GB quick look yet, but I've read Jeff's review, and several pages of this thread, and Amirox's posts, and I still don't know if this game is for me. I kind of just like to buy 1 racing game per generation because I don't play them that much. Last generation I played Grid and enjoyed it, and I've had a lot of fun with Real Racing 3 on the iPad (I've never paid for anything in it), but the thing I hate most about it is the online races where if you hit or go off road, you are forced to slow down. I guess if you could turn these penalty things off in DriveClub I might like it more, but since I'm very much a casual racer, I don't know if this game is for me. Or is it? Bah, I wish the PS+ version was available to download so I can find out for myself.

I guess I also played a little of Burnout Paradise for free, but never did that much because of how big and spread out it felt like everything was, and other than licenses, no real progression.
You really should wait for the PS+ edition which is what I should have done. The feel of the racing is what really turned me off and you need to feel that first hand. Also the collision/off-track penalties can be annoying, and between the A.I. and other players you may feel forced into a penalty.

SegaShack

Looking forward to trying this when Sony decides I can play it.

Twilight Princess - Peak Gerstmann

8.8 is generous for that game and the hype NIntendo built it up to be over the years.

In 2006 I was one of the people pissed at that score too, it wasn't until the game came out and after a week of denial that I finally realized how crappy the whole game was.

I just read the GB review as it seems to be the one garnering the most anger in this thread and your summary doesn't seem to match with that review at least.

The review knocks the game for being barebones, which it undeniably is at this stage. He doesn't like the feel of the cars and gives reasons why. That's subjective, while realism might be preferable to some others want something that focuses on fun rather than accuracy. I don't think he says that it offers nothing new, rather that it doesn't offer enough to call it a satisfactory package when compared to other recent racers.

How does this game quantifiably offer something better than previous racing games beyond graphics?

It seems to me that this game offers a style of racing game that is not very common (at all or anymore, not sure which) and that those who are into that style are happy to see it make a return where as others don't appreciate it. Both equally valuable opinions it would seem.

I don't like the whole corridor racer insult deal but it does seem crazy (and something I can't recall every happening in a racing game) to go beyond a warning about leaving the track (suitable leeway) and actually have invisible walls that stop you from leaving the track whatsoever. Does anybody know how much of the time there are walls?

reviewer knocks the game for not having tuning options.

then knocks it some more because it's not full-on sim or a full-on arcade but some where in the middle.

apparently a racing game can't have those two things.

those who whine about "not having options" are the same type of people who would buy the level 3 engine because it's the fastest, then don't adjust the spoiler for downforce.
Instead it makes the game feel inauthentic to real-life racing while also not going far enough in the "fun" direction to make it an exciting, arcade-style racer.

ugh. ever heard of pgr? ever played the arcade disc of gran turismo 2? yes, you can have driving physics that isn't full-on sim but not mario kart.

pathetic. so arcade automatically means fun and exciting? get out of here.

So you clearly just want to antagonize and provide snark.

Well, yeah... but despite being so smitten with me, you're still going to have to take me to a nice dinner and a show, Sport.

I'd actually like to drive the damned game to see if it revs MY engines before parting with another precious $60 in an already expensive holiday.

mujun

I don't know about that, if that's what you are looking for I can't recommend DC.
You shouldn't be afraid of making mistakes, that's the fun. DC is thrilling.

Did you read what brianmcdoogle said about what he hates the most in the post of his that you quoted?

Jimrpg

Exactly. I take offense at people conflating these two games because Driveclub has fewer features than any of the modern PGR games, not to mention *any* city courses, which were the whole namesake of those games.

PGR games had strong photo modes, great replay cameras, fun offbeat single & multiplayer modes like cat-and-mouse, underpowered team leader, cone-challenge motocross, and infection. It had outstanding presentation that stood out among its peers, both in style and in technology, like Project Gotham TV. It branched out from its original focus on a wide variety of supercars into motorcycles as it pushed weather and time-of-day in ways uncommon in the genre. It let players create courses through its cities to share and challenge others. It let players fill out a literal garage you could walk through to admire your favorite cars, and play arcade games in your garage like Geometry wars, built into those games. It had a whole suite of music to almost every taste, organized though the in-game logic of radio stations you'd flip through in your car.

Driveclub is none of those things, and it has every advantage of technology, time and money, and years of hindsight on its developer's part. When someone invokes the name of this series, they had have a better sense of why that game was great. And no, it wasn't "good graphics and unrealistic handling."

Hold on a minute - firstly you're comparing both PGR3 and 4 to Driveclub.

I don't think PGR4 had the course creator, only PGR3. Also a lot of those modes don't add that much to the core experience. I don't miss not walking around my car, or project gotham TV, though I wish it did have that, that would be cool. It doesn't need a geometry wars style game. And was the radio stations thing just PGR2? I don't remember using it that much in PGR4.

Lets not forget when PGR2 jumped to PGR3 they had to drop literally HALF the locations because going HD required extra man power to develop the game. I imagine going from PGR4 to a game like Driveclub would require even more developing time on the graphics and the core racing experience alone. The fact that they are still working on weather shows how long it takes to make a triple AAA game right now.

And we don't know how many people work at Evolution, maybe 50? maybe 100? Its certainly not Destiny or Assassin's Creed tier of 500 devs

Soooo

Having watched a bunch of direct feed footage of this today, is it just me or does it not look nearly as good as it did pre-release?

I watched all gameryde videos today and got the same feeling that something was different/off compared to all the pre relase footage. It seems the textures took a hit and the background mountains and rocks dont look as good as before. Very weird. And during daylight the game seems oversharpened/grainy. Never noticed that in the pre release footage.

Amir0x

Banned
Having extensively played the game, the only real thing that doesn't seem quite as good as the best DC videos we got - and it's admittedly fairly significant - is the AA/image quality overall. There's still some real image quality issues, which I hope they can fix at some point.

Other than that, it's easily the best looking console racer from a technical perspective ever. There are areas I've been able to stop and find poor textures on, but that's really no different from any racing game I've ever played. I'm sure at any point in development a developer could have found a shit texture to broadcast if they really wanted, so I'm unconvinced that's evidence of anything :p

nib95

Banned
Having extensively played the game, the only real thing that doesn't seem quite as good as the best DC videos we got - and it's admittedly fairly significant - is the AA/image quality overall. There's still some real image quality issues, which I hope they can fix at some point.

Other than that, it's easily the best looking console racer from a technical perspective ever. There are areas I've been able to stop and find poor textures on, but that's really no different from any racing game I've ever played. I'm sure at any point in development a developer could have found a shit texture to broadcast if they really wanted, so I'm unconvinced that's evidence of anything :p

How are you finding it to play?

You really should wait for the PS+ edition which is what I should have done. The feel of the racing is what really turned me off and you need to feel that first hand. Also the collision/off-track penalties can be annoying, and between the A.I. and other players you may feel forced into a penalty.

Oh, I definitely will.

I guess I'm just real simple when it comes to what I want out of racing games. Basically, I want them to look really really good, and I want to have fun driving. It sounds like DC looks good (though not as good as people initially hoped for?) but the penalties just don't sound like fun. Tough/competitive A.I. is fine, and it reads, at least in descriptions, that the handling perfect for what I want out of racing games. I don't care about customizations, or what "tracks" are in the games (I can't name a single "real world" track... just so long as the tracks are pretty and well designed/fun), or what "cars" are in the game (I don't care if a certain brand or model of car is included. I typically play the cars I've heard of, which are usually Charger, Mustang, Porshe, Ferrari, and Aston Martin). I guess I would like to pick the color of my car, but that's really it. I don't need to tweak engines, design logos, or whatever. And I certainly don't want it to be an open-world game that distracts from the actual point of the game... the racing.

Maybe this is all because the last racing game I really got into was Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing for the SNES!

I watched all gameryde videos today and got the same feeling that something was different/off compared to all the pre relase footage. It seems the textures took a hit and the background mountains and rocks dont look as good as before. Very weird. And during daylight the game seems oversharpened/grainy. Never noticed that in the pre release footage.

It reminds me of the grainy LOLALIASING gifs of 2013.

I don't know how after people having the game for a week or more that I had to play the game myself to find out about it.

Xenon

In fact, Namco is a great one to compare it to. Mechanically they are clearly different, but in terms of purity of racing, Ridge Racer and DriveClub are not at all dissimilar. Very no frills with a distinct focus on pure skill-based racing.

DriveClub is a bit of a fascinating mix, a simcade with its own unique approach to vehicle mechanics, there's a bit of a wide range of racing titles that straddle the lines in the title, but they really nailed the mechanics to perfection and that feels distinct. As I said, if it were not for FH2, I'd say this was easily the best racing game in the past 3 or 4 years, and probably amongst the best of its class in its subcategory of racing genre period mechanically.

DriveClub's tracks are extremely well designed however. They are perfectly primed for just the sort of hundredth-of-a-millisecond time shaving fanatics that racing fans like me (and apparently you) love. The A.I. is incredibly engaging because they're so aggressive, and you really feel like you have to claw your way to the finish line if you get broiled in a vehicular brawl on the road. Similarly, time trials are phenomenal, just as you'd expect from a pure skill based racer. Here you really get a sense of how finely tuned the mechanics are and how many thousands of ways you can strategize to eliminate the tiniest fractions of time from your overall score.

DriveClub succeeded in every way at what it set out to do.

Considering how poorly reviewed some of my favorite games are, I would never write off a game due to some low scores. Hopefully this will be a pleasant surprise, but I am keeping my expectations low.

Oh god no! Is not at all as Cruisin.

Seens quite premature to say that when you havent played the game yet.

I am not making a direct comparison, just noting the focus on graphics.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Once again it shows how little reviewers' opinions aligns with my own. The site that I have come to appreciate is GameTrailers. I think that the decimal-system they use is a bit over-the-top but I digress.

Driveclub seems like a solid ★★★★-game in my book, out of five, from the 45 minutes I've got to play before leaving for work today. Which would align nicely to what my opinions of the Evolution's output that I've played.

Motorstorm - ★★★★½
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - ★★★½
Motorstorm: Apocalypse - ★★★★
Motorstorm: RC - ★★★

Amir0x

Banned
How are you finding it to play?

Impressions 1, Impressions 2, Impressions 3, Impressions 4, Impressions 5, Impressions 6 (on A.I.), Impressions 7

If...if you're interested. If Forza Horizon 2 didn't exist, I'd say this was the best racing game of the last 3 or 4 years. As it stands currently I'd still say it's one of the best racing games within its subcategory of racing genre, and definitely still one of the top five racing games released in the past half decade.

Hold on a minute - firstly you're comparing both PGR3 and 4 to Driveclub.

I don't think PGR4 had the course creator, only PGR3. Also a lot of those modes don't add that much to the core experience. I don't miss not walking around my car, or project gotham TV, though I wish it did have that, that would be cool. It doesn't need a geometry wars style game. And was the radio stations thing just PGR2? I don't remember using it that much in PGR4.

Lets not forget when PGR2 jumped to PGR3 they had to drop literally HALF the locations because going HD required extra man power to develop the game. I imagine going from PGR4 to a game like Driveclub would require even more developing time on the graphics and the core racing experience alone. The fact that they are still working on weather shows how long it takes to make a triple AAA game right now.

And we don't know how many people work at Evolution, maybe 50? maybe 100? Its certainly not Destiny or Assassin's Creed tier of 500 devs
Good points, I was about to make the same ones.

Delving deeper into this, I think most true fans of the series consider PGR2 the best the bunch and its missing many of those features. Those are fine and all but those things are not what made PGR great. PGR3 was a big disappointment in some key areas, firstly tracks and secondly the physics were dumbed down compared to PGR2. The predecessor allowed greater separation of skill compared to noobs where PGR3 was more forgiving. PGR2 also had the better car list with classics like the GT One and Carrera.

Motorcycles were a very late addition and so was Cat and Mouse, hell I think it was patched into 4 where it use to be played unofficially by the community. See, the community grew over time and some cool game modes were born out of the wackiness of said community. Driveclub is brand new and does not have that benefit yet.

Like I said, ultimately it was the mechanics of the series and the tracks (especially in 2) that made the series so great. It didn't have an open world and that was never questioned. The people that use to review these games 10 years ago are much different then the average reviewer today and that's to see.

Parts of the game look very good - the cars and the lighting at night especially - but watching the Giantbomb quicklook and some youtube videos really made me wonder if there was something wrong with the compression or if the environments just weren't as impressive as the initial reveal and subsequent showings. In particular there's a shot of a mountain range near the beginning of the GB quicklook that just looks completely flat and devoid of any lighting or atmospheric effects. It's very weird.

It's likely that the game is just designed to look good at high speeds, which is understandable - it's not like you're supposed to sit still and examine everything in a racing game. It's a bit odd that the game calls attention to how sub-par some things look - road textures, some of the backdrops, etc - by focusing on them in the pre-race stuff.

Hopefully the rain is as gorgeous as it's looked in early footage. There's nothing I want more than a good game I can play that'll let me blast through some rainy scenery.

JNA

Banned
Reviews for this game was pretty much what I expected. The problem I've seen with racing games nowadays is that almost none of them are that different from each other at all. It's why games like Need For Speed Most Wanted or Mario Kart games are praised highly, they brought/bring something different and unique to the table.

Forza, GT, Driveclub, what exactly is different with these games? IMO, not much if at all.

Blur had a very good idea and concept going but it's a shame the execution wasn't up to par. We need a new Cruis'n World kind of game. That would be fun I think.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Really decent reviews, majority 7/8's. Waiting on the PS+ version before I commit though, I need to feel the driving and test the mechanics for myself first.

Looking forward to trying this when Sony decides I can play it.

8.8 is generous for that game and the hype NIntendo built it up to be over the years.

In 2006 I was one of the people pissed at that score too, it wasn't until the game came out and after a week of denial that I finally realized how crappy the whole game was.

What crazy parallel universe did you come from? Twilight princess is crappy?

Forza, GT, Driveclub, what exactly is different with these games? IMO, not much if at all.
io6enB8LHvff3.gif

Once again it shows how little reviewers' opinions aligns with my own. The site that I have come to appreciate is GameTrailers. I think that the decimal-system they use is a bit over-the-top but I digress.

Driveclub seems like a solid ★★★★-game in my book, out of five, from the 45 minutes I've got to play before leaving for work today. Which would align nicely to what my opinions of the Evolution's output that I've played.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift - ★★★½

MSPR 3.5?
MSPR is 10/10 material.

ShutterMunster

It feels like PGR without the city based tracks. It's exactly what I wanted out of it. All I want is more of it. I wonder if a lot of these reviewers loathed that style of racer as much or if it got by for being a novelty at the time.

Jeff's review at GB really made me ponder that thought considering the handling model is so similar between the two games. I do think the corner penalty stuff and the collision penalty stuff is a little out of place. They might want to patch that stuff out. Seems like something you would find in GT or Forza.

Amir0x

Banned
Reviews for this game was pretty much what I expected. The problem I've seen with racing games nowadays is that almost none of them are that different from each other at all. It's why games like Need For Speed Most Wanted or Mario Kart games are praised highly, they brought/bring something different and unique to the table.

Blur had a very good idea and concept going but it's a shame the execution wasn't up to par. We need a new Cruis'n World kind of game. That would be fun I think.

That's the thing, though. DriveClub actually is immensely unique in this modern world of racers. Few if any racing games still play in this pure fashion, they're constantly being weighed down with superfluous features that distract from a very unique formulation of racer which has fast become extinct. And it didn't become extinct due to a lack of quality. People just caught on to the next latest and greatest racing trends, and had no more time for this sort.

But the fact that we're getting a game like DriveClub in this day and age? It doesn't play anything like GT or Forza! That's why it's so remarkable! It actually exists, it's mechanically phenomenal, and it calls back to an older era of racing game where there was no inhibition between your skills and the finish line. You either correctly navigated the course with your accumulated skill set, or you lost and got fucking better as a gamer to overcome the challenge. There's no upgrades to get, no way to tinker your car to victory merely because you spend X amount of hours accumulating enough money to buy the latest car jank. Nay, it's just your skill, any competitors and the finish line.

And that's a good thing. We SHOULD still have racers like this, because they're great. And DriveClub updates that style of racer with frankly astonishing visuals - best console racer visually ever, bar none - and a very fascinating integration of social features and challenges and clubs. It is a great mix of new and old, but the old it holds onto is so rarely utilized these days that it feels essentially new anyway. I thank the non-existent Gods every second that this game actually exists, it's like getting a splash of cold water on your face after you've been asleep for years.

Between this and Forza Horizon 2, I am in racing nirvana this past few weeks.

WoolyNinja

The 6/10 and under reviews are just wrong - like "not sure if I'm playing the same game at all" wrong. Game is fantastic, and now that the servers are up and working the Challenges coming in are addictive.

GHG

My feeling is that the collision and penalty systems strengths will become apparent in online races once the servers are back up.

Its to discourage bumper car racing and corner cutters/cheaters.

I'll see what I think when I play later if the servers are back up.

WoolyNinja

Jeff really ripped it apart in the bombcast, straight up said it was a bad game.

Yeah, he's wrong. I usually agree with GiantBomb but in this case somethings not right. Maybe he played Forza Horizon 2 for the past 2 weeks and just likes that better and so anything not Forza Horizon 2 is shit? I have no idea, but he's definitely wrong. A 2/5 star review for this game is ridiculous. This game and Evolution deserve better than what some reviewers are doing to it. A 2 out of 5... really?!

If you liked PGR, Ridge Racer, and other games like that you're going to want to at least try the PS+ version.

He also didn't play the game long enough to find out that you can put custom paint jobs on your cars.

I definitely envy his job.

When his problem is that he finds the fundamental gameplay loop to be unfun - I don't think custom paint jobs would make him like it any better.

GHG

That's the thing, though. DriveClub actually is immensely unique in this modern world of racers. Few if any racing games still play in this pure fashion, they're constantly being weighed down with superfluous features that distract from a very unique formulation of racer which has fast become extinct. And it didn't become extinct due to a lack of quality. People just caught on to the next latest and greatest racing trends, and had no more time for this sort.

But the fact that we're getting a game like DriveClub in this day and age? It doesn't play anything like GT or Forza! That's why it's so remarkable! It actually exists, it's mechanically phenomenal, and it calls back to an older era of racing game where there was no inhibition between your skills and the finish line. You either correctly navigated the course with your accumulated skill set, or you lost and got fucking better as a gamer to overcome the challenge. There's no upgrades to get, no way to tinker your car to victory merely because you spend X amount of hours accumulating enough money to buy the latest car jank. Nay, it's just your skill, any competitors and the finish line.

And that's a good thing. We SHOULD still have racers like this, because they're great. And DriveClub updates that style of racer with frankly astonishing visuals - best console racer visually ever, bar none - and a very fascinating integration of social features and challenges and clubs. It is a great mix of new and old, but the old it holds onto is so rarely utilized these days that it feels essentially new anyway. I thank the non-existent Gods every second that this game actually exists, it's like getting a splash of cold water on your face after you've been asleep for years.

Between this and Forza Horizon 2, I am in racing nirvana this past few weeks.

The bolded nails it. If you can't drive then tough cookie, learn how to drive without your hand being held and try again. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a game like this. There is no way to brute force your way into being better or faster, its all down to your level of skill as a player.

It seems that over the last generation people have become so accustomed to games being easier, more accessible and generally holding their hand more that when a game comes out, throws all of those things out the window and simply says "learn now to play me or crash and burn" that it suddenly turns it into a bad game? Thats wrong.

Listening to Jeff on the bombcast is hair raising, he even says they MIGHT add weather effects, implying they won't bother. Spends 2 seconds saying it looks good. Talks about Forza for 10 minutes and concludes that it plays old.

He sounds defensive and angry the whole time, I wish the others bothered to play it because they just sit there acting like Jeff speaks gospel. So infuriating, reminds me of when he dismissed demon's souls and monster hunter.

admartian

This comes up every time when an anticipated game doesn't get 9/10 and 10/10 across the board. Even 8/10 isn't good enough in some cases. Surprise! People have different opinions. Just because others dislike a game and write about it doesn't have to mean anything regarding to how you perceive the game when playing it.

Yep 100% agreed.

ITT: People overreacting about reviews lol. Knack and Lair being bandied about. Bunch of children (not the low review scores, different opinions and that etc) but the fickleness and giving up.

Oh,and this game is not even close to Knack or Lair:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/knack - 54
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/lair - 53

Do people even math/logic/think?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I painted my car pink with black decals at like level 3 or 4

pls hire me Giant Bomb

but he mentioned it as a negative against the game

Yeah, but I doubt that would bump it up a star. In the QL he does talk about how you have different presets you can mess with, but nothing like the livery in Forza.

hamchan

I'm really glad they gave out a PS+ version, its very easy to upgrade digitally and cheaper than retail. If you're a racing fan you will quickly see this game isn't a 2/5. It was worth the AU$57 I paid. I think retail is minimum $79.

Retail was like $49 at Dick Smith for pre-orders btw.

Top Bottom