• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsme

Banned
GDGF said:
Factor 5 should just be engine creators. Their newer games (well, since the Turrican series I guess) have been all eye candy but crap controls or camera work. Even their Star Wars games had problems (which I got over because i'm such an original trilogy nut, but still)

Lair sure is pretty, though!

Their audio engine for Gamecube was ok at best. Anyway, Lair sucked at E3 2006 and TGS 2006, and it was no surprise that it turned out mediocre. Only sad part is that I LOVED Heavenly Sword at E3 2006, and the recent demo on PSN seemed very underwelming and seemed broken rather... I'm kinda dumb founded after my most enticipated PS3 game turned nose dive.

Tideas said:
Not surprised at Blue Dragon's score. Actually, I thought it'd be lower.

I mean, the last time Mistwalker made a good game...oh wait, they never did, BD was their first game :lol :D

Jesus. I didn't think you could top yourself after your job in the Mass Effect thread, but here you are.

Do we really need another poster like this around here?

just tray

Banned
It's because the dragons lack tow cables.

Can't they just add some tie fighters and x-wings, scrap the dragons and add a hoth level.

first motorstorm, and now lair.what's next heavenly sword?

Guys don't worry about a low review score. Mario Party 8 also got 5/10's on almost all review sites and mags and it is one of the top selling games this year! Lair won't bomba confirmed!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
perfectchaos007 said:
Guys don't worry about a low review score. Mario Party 8 also got 5/10's on almost all review sites and mags and it is one of the top selling games this year! Lair won't bomba confirmed!

Maybe I'm misreading. Are you saying that you're okay with Lair being average as long as it sells well?

Ike

PissBOX, PeeS2, or Toiletcube
urk said:
Maybe I'm misreading. Are you saying that you're okay with Lair being average as long as it sells well?
Sales are more important than the quality of games to some people (i.e. fanboys)

lips

just tray said:
It's because the dragons lack tow cables.

Can't they just add some tie fighters and x-wings, scrap the dragons and add a hoth level.

london bridge....

ah, motorstorm never looked 'unbelieveable' and I can understand a reviewer not 'getting' dragon riding controls straight off.. you're controlling a huge dragon, course its gunna be hard. Many times this is the challenge of the game. back in the 80s I played a video game where your space ship could only do left turns; hard to play, but damn fun, pretty close to most fun game i ever played.

No, but as gamers we need that game to do well because the PS3 needs to get as many games in developement as possible. If games keep not selling well on PS3, developers will go away. Lair fortunately had lots of hype. ( like Mario Party 8 ) so hopefully it will do well regardless.

arias

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
No, but as gamers we need that game to do well because the PS3 needs to get as many games in developement as possible. If games keep not selling well on PS3, developers will go away. Lair fortunately had lots of hype. ( like Mario Party 8 ) so hopefully it will do well regardless.

Yeah. I want the PS3 and its titles to do well in order for my investment in the console to be maximized to full utility.

just tray said:

HEAVENLY SWORD seems to be getting pretty good buzz by people who played the full demo so I doubt it.

If I were a Vegas Man I would say Uncharted is the next first party exclusive from Sony to not live up to the reviews and break fanboy hearts.No real reason; just a hunch and the fact that while looking great it doesn't look like anything all that special.

Tideas

Banned
crazyscreenwriter said:
HEAVENLY SWORD seems to be getting pretty good buzz by people who played the full demo so I doubt it.

If I were a Vegas Man I would say Uncharted is the next first party exclusive from Sony to not live up to the reviews and break fanboy hearts.No real reason; just a hunch and the fact that while looking great it doesn't look like anything all that special.

I agree.

lips

crazyscreenwriter said:

I already knew that many awaited titles were going to be glitchy on release. this is sony, after all. I don't really see a company royally flopping a shooter though. Its hard to do. So I reject this idea, unless you mean in terms of story line, but then 'ape escape' had enough story for me, and many others.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
crazyscreenwriter said:

I'm in the extreme minority in that I don't find Uncharted to look all that visually impressive, but from the more recent impressions and the developer pedigree, I find it hard to believe that Uncharted won't be an excellent title.

Hypern0va

I'm actually happy about this. There are so many games coming out between now and december that I want. Problem is, I can't afford them all. The more that get bad reviews or get delayed the better it is for me.

sphinx

the piano man
crazyscreenwriter said:

guys, guys... we got 1st hand E3 impressions from some veteran gaffer ( Bebpo, I think ) saying the game is repetitive and gameplay is dull.

I'll try to find that thread but I suggest you don't get your expectations too high, regardless..

EDIT: found it:

Bebpo's thread of various game E3 impressions full of Hate and Love

comment:

Heavenly Sword: Now I know some of the HS people read gaf, but that doesn't mean I'm going to pull punches. Sorry, but at the last E3 I thought HS played like shit, at this E3 I thought it pulled just the same, so like shit. Sure the game looks good during QTEs and non-interactive kills, but during the actual part that matters: battle, the game plays like any generic shovelware action game from people who don't know what fighting games are about. Maybe I'm just playing it wrong and there's a specific way to 'play' the game, but just rolling around dodging and doing slashes with the 3 weapon types and the occasional grab kills...is not fun at all. There's no solid feel to the hits. It reminds me of how God of War 1's battle system felt more mashy and less fighting than DMC/NG, but then go back another bunch of steps from GoW1 and you have HS. Also some of the animations are still shit. Like your roll animation looks choppy as do some of the attacks. Game needs a TON of work and I just don't see it happening in time. And I don't think it's just me, as the HS sword was the most empty booth of all of Sony' section. People would pick it up and fight for a few minutes and leave. Lot's of the time no one was playing the demo and people I've talked to at last E3 and this E3 had similar thoughts to me.

sphinx said:
guys, guys... we got 1st hand E3 impressions from some veteran gaffer ( Bebpo, I think ) saying the game is repetitive and gameplay is dull.

I'll try to find that thread but I suggest you don't get your expectations too high, regardless..

Taken from a demo. So yeah...

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Jesus. I didn't think you could top yourself after your job in the Mass Effect thread, but here you are.

Do we really need another poster like this around here?

apparently we do. he's been all over this thread from the get go and he's not lettin up.

Reilly said:
Persona wins numerous GOTM awards from publications, yet no one is talking about it.

Atlus just can't win it seems. Same thing happend to Odin Sphere. :(

atlus wins mah heart <3

Hypern0va said:
I'm actually happy about this. There are so many games coming out between now and december that I want. Problem is, I can't afford them all. The more that get bad reviews or get delayed the better it is for me.

I don't understand this.

Nobody is forcing you to buy every "good" games you know.

ethelred

Tideas said:
Has anyone else gotten their EGM yet? I want some quotes admmit, of what they think is wrong with the game.

Just scores, and a small summary, does not do :(

You're still hoping beelzebozo made all this up, aren't you?

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
how can an art style be "dated"? do the characters all have mullets or bellbottoms or something?

I think he meant run into the ground. Some of his designs are highly intercheangeable (sp?).

cartman414 said:
I think he meant run into the ground. Some of his designs are highly intercheangeable (sp?).
Indeed. They could chance the title to Dragonball (insert spinoff name) and I'd believe it. The main character could be Gohan's cousin.

perfectchaos007 said:
Excuse me... but did you just type that Mario Party 8 had lots of hype?

<blinks twice and looks again>

It's not going away!

<drinks alcohol>

Speevy

Banned
The Mario Party 8 hype train is unstoppable.

Tons of mediocre/poor scores, yearly iterations, it's a once in a generation event!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

yeah, i think thats what he means - but guys, Toriyama's art has never looked like it looks in BD - the game looks phenomenal (though the game DOES have its faults)

Observe!

319611790_57a75160cf_b.jpg

317040893_74929f39b8_b.jpg

Faults (for the record) :
looks beautiful , but world is barren
searching everything for limited reward is borderline pointless
Battles are too easy, more a relaxathon than a challenge
Story is very generic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Speevy said:
The Mario Party 8 hype train is unstoppable.

Tons of mediocre/poor scores, yearly iterations, it's a once in a generation event!

GAF drives me nuts every year with all the God damn Mario Party avatars.

NolbertoS

Wow..GAF meltdown confirmed, imagine if Halo 3 were to ever get low scores from EGM, I wonder how many people and fanboys would crash GAF and commit seppuku.

No_Style

crazyscreenwriter said:

I could live without Lair, I could even live without Heavenly Sword, but Uncharted? That would just be too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom