• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalasta

Finally tried the Blue Dragon demo yesterday. Not sure where all the hate is coming from but, besides it being incredibly easy (one hit kill on mobs which take away 20% of my health just seem rather unbalanced), I really enjoyed the presentation and the battle system, certainly didn't turn me away from the game. However, with such an average score, I shudder to think what Eternal Sonata is going to receive next month, since it is supposedly a much worse title.

Good for Atlus though, Persona series ought to get more exposure. It is always an unique experience, compared to the many RPG clones out there.

Mojovonio

Banned
You guys are going to feel stupid for defending this game after you play it.

But my god, the hype. Since 2005, people were claiming this game would be amazing.

Oh well, never trust in Factor 5.

jimbo

Banned
This thread is pretty funny. Dissapointed a bit in the BD scores, but then again BlimBlim did a much better job selling me on the game than those little snippets do for me. So I think I will still buy it, unless Bioshock is THAT damn good and I won't have money for both. In which case I'll buy Bioshock and rent Blue Dragon. Heck I loved Enchanted Arms and most reviewers trashed that game.

jimbo said:
This thread is pretty funny. Dissapointed a bit in the BD scores, but then again BlimBlim did a much better job selling me on the game than those little snippets do for me. So I think I will still buy it, unless Bioshock is THAT damn good and I won't have money for both. In which case I'll buy Bioshock and rent Blue Dragon. Heck I loved Enchanted Arms and most reviewers trashed that game.

Keep your eye off the front page, re: Bioshock.

And yeah, BlimBlim sold me on Blue Dragon months ago, and the demo sealed the deal.

Ranger X

947929629_a9c1dd609a.jpg

Now that made my morning :lol :lol

pr0cs

Prine said:
Always thought Lair and Heavenly Sword were mediocre games. HS will be the next victim, dont be shocked

HS looks like they spent too much time on everything but the game. If it does poorly I'll be willing to bet that there is everything but gameplay in HS, decent story, awesome vocap/mocap, great graphics and varied locations but the actual game is mia.

Wollan

HS is great. It's definitely above an eight based on gameplay alone and it's probably the game with the highest mass appeal among all the big combat games.

Prine said:
Always thought Lair and Heavenly Sword were mediocre games. HS will be the next victim, dont be shocked

Im shocked you think that...shocked.

HS looks like they spent too much time on everything but the game. If it does poorly I'll be willing to bet that there is everything but gameplay in HS, decent story, awesome vocap/mocap, great graphics and varied locations but the actual game is mia.

dont agree at all, the retadedly short demo was pretty good

Darji

Banned
pr0cs said:
wow you can all tell that from a 5 min demo?^^

TDG

Banned
Captain Glanton said:
Oh, this is nothing. Check out the locked 1up thread that this thread spawned. It truly makes you worry for the future of gaming, in the most entertaining way possible.
Threads like that make me glad I don't post there anymore.

Darji said:
wow you can all tell that from a 5 min demo?^^

It's the basic impression (although less harsh, I don't think the gameplay is really MIA) I got from the 1up Show segment. The gameplay is just not on the level of the medium defining cutscenes.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's the basic impression (although less harsh, I don't think the gameplay is really MIA) I got from the 1up Show segment. The gameplay is just not on the level of the medium defining cutscenes.

heh, well, gameplay rarely manages to emulate the flow and intensity of cutscenes...but I disagree...the game is fun and with impressive graphics, music and, perhaps, a decent story...its going to be a big deal. Most of the people here having reservation on the combat are DMC or NG nuts...Ive played both, and still enjoy this...most casual people I know would really enjoy it I think...

peace

Brofist

Prine said:

I might actually have to agree with you here.

It's looking like Uncharted and Warhawk will live up to the hype, while Lair and HS might not.

Wollan said:
HS is great. It's definitely above an eight based on gameplay alone and it's probably the game with the highest mass appeal among all the big combat games.

HS judging by the Demo seems really sluggish and shallow-ish. Buth then again demo was like 3 minutes long.

pr0cs

BenjaminBirdie said:

MIA was perhaps a bit too over the top of a statement but I guess I was comparing how amazing everything else is to the gameplay. The gameplay seems overshadowed by the awesomeness of the production values within the non-game elements.

I hope to be very wrong, I hope HS all around is totally kickass but everything I've seen thus far seems to suggest that they may have forgotten to spend as much time on the game as all the other stuff.

pr0cs said:
MIA was perhaps a bit too over the top of a statement but I guess I was comparing how amazing everything else is to the gameplay. The gameplay seems overshadowed by the awesomeness of the production values within the non-game elements.

I hope to be very wrong, I hope HS all around is totally kickass but everything I've seen thus far seems to suggest that they may have forgotten to spend as much time on the game as all the other stuff.

Sadly the "other stuff" is what seems to appeal to the masses now. As shown by the Wii Success.

but lets not go there. This thread is about how Factor 5 has tainted Sony.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
time out--isn't the "other stuff" being discussed lovely animations, great mo-cap, interesting cut scenes and voice acting? things that are generally considered to be absent in most current wii titles?

how is wii evidence that people care more about "other stuff" rather than gameplay? that's a confusing comment, buster. explain yourself.

Epiphyte

Kabuki Waq said:
Sadly the "other stuff" is what seems to appeal to the masses now. As shown by the Wii Success.

So now the Wii is killing gaming by having too many production values??

And here I thought that Wii Sports was an incredibly barebones game with nothing but the gameplay to hold it up. I must have missed out on all the epic cutscenes and voice acting.

Kabuki Waq said:

No.

The "other" stuff in Hs are very much the opposite of Nintendo's idea of a non-game. HS is too otaku-ish/comic book-y to be lumped amongst the likes of Wii Sports and Flash Focus.

beelzebozo said:
time out--isn't the "other stuff" being discussed lovely animations, great mo-cap, interesting cut scenes and voice acting? things that are generally considered to be absent in most current wii titles?

how is wii evidence that people care more about "other stuff" rather than gameplay? that's a confusing comment, buster. explain yourself.

other stuff that i meant was marketing gimmickry. All sony needs to do is Market HS as a revolutionary hair combing simulator it will be set.

The other stuff that you mean just does well with the GAF" Art/story> gameplay crowd.

My mistake.

Kabuki Waq said:
other stuff that i meant was marketing gimmickry. All sony needs to do is Market HS as a revolutionary hair combing simulator it will be set.

The other stuff that you mean just does well with the GAF" Art/story> gameplay crowd.

My mistake.
HS is still very much close to the Playstation idea of a "cinematic" game so your characterisation of it as gimmicky puzzles me.

titiklabingapat said:
HS is still very much close to the Playstation idea of a "cinematic" game so your characterisation of it as gimmicky puzzles me.

i am not saying HS is gimmicky i was just pointing out that it would sell more if it was. I thought "other stuff" was referring to something else.

Has anybody noticed a trend with developers that leave Nintendo?

First is Rare. They leave and make 4 mediocre games in 7 years for Microsoft.

Next is Silicon Knights. Since leaving Nintendo, they have yet to release Too Human and it most likely will not be released before Duke Nukem Forever.

And now we have Factor 5. Their first game since leaving Nintendo got bad reviews from EGM, so that means that it sucks.

Coincidence or big coincidence? You decide!

Yes, I know Rares game have been better than mediocre, but calling them good doesnt work towards the overall joke.

super funk said:
Has anybody noticed a trend with developers that leave Nintendo?

First is Rare. They leave and make 4 mediocre games in 7 years for Microsoft.

Next is Silicon Knights. Since leaving Nintendo, they have yet to release Too Human and it most likely will not be released before Duke Nukem Forever.

And now we have Factor 5. Their first game since leaving Nintendo got bad reviews from EGM, so that means that it sucks.

Coincidence or big coincidence? You decide!

Yes, I know Rares game have been better than mediocre, but calling them good doesnt work towards the overall joke.

I think without the nintendo goggles you just notice how crappy their games really were.

FActor 5 games were mediocre on n64 and GC. Rare had not made a great game in ages before MS bought them.

Tobor

Kabuki Waq said:
I think without the nintendo goggles you just notice how crappy their games really were.

FActor 5 games were mediocre on n64 and GC. Rare had not made a great game in ages before MS bought them.

It's more like Star Wars goggles, but you're right.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i was a big fan of eternal darkness. it'll be interesting to see if sk can turn out something special in too human with ead's development support. even with nintendo's backing, eternal darkness had a long and slightly troubled development, so maybe all's not lost.

i do think nintendo has a way of elevating the work of the developers they take under their wing, though. in rare's case that often seems to come from borrowing game design piece-meal, but it elevates them, none the less

beelzebozo said:
i was a big fan of eternal darkness. it'll be interesting to see if sk can turn out something special in too human with ead's development support. even with nintendo's backing, eternal darkness had a long and slightly troubled development, so maybe all's not lost.

i do think nintendo has a way of elevating the work of the developers they take under their wing, though. in rare's case that often seems to come from borrowing game design piece-meal, but it elevates them, none the less
Another good example is Arika with Forever Blue. It's more non-gamey now but the whole package seems more coordinated than it's predecessor.

jimbo

Banned
beelzebozo said:

Kameo and Viva Pinata are great examples of what Rare is capable of doing without Nintendo. MS is giving them the chance of realizing some of their own original idea, and even though they put out a couple of dissapointing games, just take a look at both of those and see how they truly do differ from basically anything else out there, in both style and gameplay.

While I can't wait for Banjo, and I'd love to see another KI, at the same time I like Rare coming up with new IP's and I hope they continue to do so.

They really need to freaking hurry the hell up and make a Kart racer. Diddy Kong was brilliant. Hopefully between Conker, Viva and even Kameo they'll have enough reognizable characters(special guest Master Chief) to pull off an awesome kart racing game. Just imagine one that actually spanned all the environments of all of those games: Halo, Conker, Viva and Kameo racing tracks.....HOLY COW!!!

P209

EGMs review is far from Gospel

If Lair and BD really are horrid games as they claim they won't be the only ones giving out 5s-6s. EGM is one magazine with very unprofessional magazine staff that has fallen behind the times.
They still don't get why Hanna Montana owns and why high school musical has legions of fans. It's not surprising the F5 cherry was popped by EGM when they decided to take a new venture with sixaxis only flight controls. It's not traditional controls and requires a new approach to a flying game.

And for traditionalist if it's not pick up and play easy the whole experience from the first moment forward is ruined. I'm sure F5 has to take fault here as well with not offering alternate controller configurations for the purist. I find it hard to believe that the controls were just broken difficult maybe but broken enough to ruin the story gameplay and fun factor? All I can say about it is wow I just have to try this for my self and see what the other reviews look like.

Saitou

Banned
Tobor said:
Could be worse. I met a guy at work who said he gets all his gaming info from G4. He might as well live in a third world country.
I live in Argentina and take offense to this comment :mad:

;__;

P209 said:
EGMs review is far from Gospel

If Lair and BD really are horrid games as they claim they won't be the only ones giving out 5s-6s. EGM is one magazine with very unprofessional magazine staff that has fallen behind the times.
They still don't get why Hanna Montana owns and why high school musical has legions of fans. It's not surprising the F5 cherry was popped by EGM when they decided to take a new venture with sixaxis only flight controls. It's not traditional controls and requires a new approach to a flying game.

And for traditionalist if it's not pick up and play easy the whole experience from the first moment forward is ruined. I'm sure F5 has to take fault here as well with not offering alternate controller configurations for the purist. I find it hard to believe that the controls were just broken difficult maybe but broken enough to ruin the story gameplay and fun factor? All I can say about it is wow I just have to try this for my self and see what the other reviews look like.
you sound like a wii fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom