• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

Just played my first intl tourneys. First was the 63rd daily, where I scored -3 and placed in the 400's out of 1100. Nest was the 64th daily, scored -4 and placed 360 out of 700.

What kinda results are you guys getting? Just want to know what to really shoot for. Is placing middle of the pack a good acomplishment? Or is getting into the top 100 more of what needs to be done?

Having a great time with this game...can't wait for my first game against a gaffer. PSN- dantehemi

I am usually in the middle of the pack. Although each time I start doing great I end up in a bunker or water and getting a +6 on a hole to ruin my run.

I did get the 45 foot putt trophy last night though. Scared the shit out of my wife as I practically jump out of bed with excitement.

Just played my first intl tourneys. First was the 63rd daily, where I scored -3 and placed in the 400's out of 1100. Nest was the 64th daily, scored -4 and placed 360 out of 700.

What kinda results are you guys getting? Just want to know what to really shoot for. Is placing middle of the pack a good acomplishment? Or is getting into the top 100 more of what needs to be done?

Having a great time with this game...can't wait for my first game against a gaffer. PSN- dantehemi

For a first time, yes middle of the pack is a good start :). Keep at it.

krae_man

You want to get in the top 10% or 20%(or top 10 if you're good enough to win).

Edit: Damn chat won't load.

krae_man

The page won't load for me. If it's working for you, can you ask about overhauling the dailies so 11th and 200th don't get the same amount of TP?

depward

Yup, just asked that (also asked if they might do something like a weekly leaderboard). Also asked the typical plans for DLC courses, characters question.

Also, interesting answer:

Q: Comment From Rob
Hi Tsubasa, thanks for taking the time to speak with us today. Could you estimate when we will see G0-G3 graded tournaments online, and if any special events are scheduled?

A: Tsubasa: My pleasure @Rob, please stay tuned for more updates (soon)!

Yup, just asked that (also asked if they might do something like a weekly leaderboard). Also asked the typical plans for DLC courses, characters question.

Also, interesting answer:

Q: Comment From Rob
Hi Tsubasa, thanks for taking the time to speak with us today. Could you estimate when we will see G0-G3 graded tournaments online, and if any special events are scheduled?

A: Tsubasa: My pleasure @Rob, please stay tuned for more updates (soon)!

I have a horrible feeling that the words "stay tuned for more updates" is going to be the main answer here :(

depward

Me too :(

I've asked a couple of questions:

1) Any DLC plans (not answered).

2) Krae's question (not answered).

3) Possibly adding a daily international tournament leaderboard that is a weekly snapshot since the cumulative aspect ruins it for folks who didn't buy + play day 1 (not answered).

4) Hoping to possibly either speed up online play timers (very slow / slow / regular) or even just eliminate them from online games (not answered).

:(

I've stuck to 1 question - when can we get the ability to create our own rooms?

Should be like EG PS3 where you can create a room and lock it to friends or invites only.

I've also tried to dig in with a question about the potential for e-mail rounds via Wi-Fi/3G (like Hustle Kings Message games) - mainly because there was news that this would be added in later

Syn23

Your questions were answered, even if he was a little evasive, right?

They posted my complaint about the training mode too. : )

krae_man

I've stuck to 1 question - when can we get the ability to create our own rooms?

Should be like EG PS3 where you can create a room and lock it to friends or invites only.

I've also tried to dig in with a question about the potential for e-mail rounds via Wi-Fi/3G (like Hustle Kings Message games) - mainly because there was news that this would be added in later

He's sidestepping those by letting people know the game has adhoc multiplayer and online tournaments every 15 minutes!

And my question got answered: "Looking into that, on both of your points. Hopefully we can address that, and congrats to you on the high rankings! (you'd probably beat me head to head!) "

He's sidestepping those by letting people know the game has adhoc multiplayer and online tournaments every 15 minutes!

And my question got answered: "Looking into that, on both of your points. Hopefully we can address that, and congrats to you on the high rankings! (you'd probably beat me head to head!) "

I should have known :)

I was seeing if I could get some kind of timeline on this

Edit: Heh, and I answered that question on the Day change feature on the Playstation forum :D

krae_man

Man I got screwed over on the first daily. I landed out of bounds on the second hole even though I hit perfect impact and the ball landed exactly where I wanted it to(on the narrow fairway patch right between the bunker and rough) and it rolled an inch OB on the other side instead of staying on the fairway or getting on the green like it should have :(

I've done better than I thought I would given how many people enter these things. 45 dailys entered (missed the first 18 cuz I was sick, boo): 1st place: 4, 2nd: 2, 3rd: 2, 4th-10th: 13, Other Top 10% - the rest, although I barely squeeked in on two of them yesterday. Biggest thrills were my first win which was super fluky with two chip-ins 20y short rough, 30y fairway on the par 5s at Maple Long Tee In (and this was regular cup, not even Mega cup), and winning two of three the other day.
Sorry for bragging :<

Playing HSG5 online with friends most nights the past couple years really helped. I see more of the HSG5 vets are picking the game up now so it's gonna get harder to crack the Top 10 as they get acclimated, I'm thinking.

As far as what a good accomplishment is. For me, what I enjoyed the most was seeing myself gradually improve and letting that motivate me to get better and better. Playing in online Stroke rooms and getting to see other players take their shots helped in HSG5... it stinks they don't have those modes supported in this yet.

Point structure for Daily Tournaments (copied and pasted shamelessly from mingol.shihiko.net):
1st ~ 10th Place is 30~21 Tour Points
Top 11 ~ 100 or Top ~ 10% is 20 Tour Points
Top ~ 20% is 15 Tour Points
Top ~ 30% is 12 Tour Points
Top ~ 40% is 10 Tour Points
Top ~ 50% is 8 Tour Points
Top ~ 60% is 5 Tour Points
Top ~ 70% is 4 Tour Points
Top ~ 80% is 3 Tour Points
Top ~ 90% is 2 Tour Points
Participating is 1 Tour Point

As previously mentioned in the thread, yeah it's kind of weird how the points are distributed. Especially at the top. No difference between finishing 11th and 200th if a couple thousand people enter a tour so there are definitely times I take chances on Short Par 4s if I think I can still squeek in the top 10% if I foul up.

Also, this live chat dude has no new information about the game whatsoever. It was pretty obvious after the first handful of questions :\ I did make a comment I thought would get read, though ;)

He did say something about a digital download of HSG5 for PS3 being in the works. That's great news to me since it means they'll likely keep the online server up longer than they otherwise would have and will get some new players in the mix hopefully

btkadams

so do the 3 special shots always go in the hole?

also, do you just tap the d-pad buttons at the exact same time as the x button? does it matter if you hold them a bit after the initial synchronized tap, or does it have to be super quick? i have played 3 hot shots games a bunch and i have never done them haha.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

also, do you just tap the d-pad buttons at the exact same time as the x button? does it matter if you hold them a bit after the initial synchronized tap, or does it have to be super quick? i have played 3 hot shots games a bunch and i have never done them haha.
Hold the direction while you're pressing it then let go afterward.

For example, Super Backspin

Hold up before you press X to set power
Press X
Let go of up after pressing X
Hold down before you press X to set the accuracy
Press X
Let go of everything and watch.

It doesn't matter how long before or after you hit X that you hold the direction as long as you're holding it while you hit X. Of course you can also use O or triangle instead of X to set the accuracy if you want slightly less or more power (respectively) than what you set originally.

btkadams

Hold the direction while you're pressing it then let go afterward.

For example, Super Backspin

Hold up before you press X to set power
Press X
Let go of up after pressing X
Hold down before you press X to set the accuracy
Press X
Let go of everything and watch.

It doesn't matter how long before or after you hit X that you hold the direction as long as you're holding it while you hit X. Of course you can also use O or triangle instead of X to set the accuracy if you want slightly less or more power (respectively) than what you set originally.

thanks!

also, how about the extra power shots? i read the description in the manual but i can't seem to get it. you flick it back right when you impact and then flick forward? you must have to flick forward again really fast because i keep missing it.

hort22

found a new way to play this morning...sitting at the kitchen table instead of laying down...lol...I know it's early in the dailys but 14th and 9th provisionally so far!

depward

Crap! Could have EASILY posted a -12 score for the first daily today but missed two STUPID EASY putts... so only put up a -10. Only good for 19th right now :( :( :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

A least historically not always. In my experience physics do still apply in that I've actually had balls not go in. Don't know if it was a glitch or what.

krae_man

Got no time to check it out, but the version was updated from 1.02 to 1.03 and the update seems too big (imo ) for just some minor things so it could be a DLC course.

It wouln't go live right away. You would have to wait till it's up on the store to buy it. The Hot Shots way of doing DLC is requiring everyone to download it all via patches and you just buy unlock codes on the store.

It wouln't go live right away. You would have to wait till it's up on the store to buy it. The Hot Shots way of doing DLC is requiring everyone to download it all via patches and you just buy unlock codes on the store.

Yep, that's what I expect. Would be nice to get some extra courses

How many courses/holes are there?

Also, Is this game pretty approachable? i.e. I don't have to spend a long time getting good at it to be able to have fun.

Kazerei

Banned
How many courses/holes are there?

Also, Is this game pretty approachable? i.e. I don't have to spend a long time getting good at it to be able to have fun.

There are 6 courses, each with 18 holes. Challenge mode mainly consists of 6 ranks, each with 5 tournaments and 1 VS match, and a 7th rank with no tournaments and just 1 VS match. There are also unlockable harder versions of every VS match. So lots of content.

The game starts off super easy, but the difficulty curve gradually ramps up and becomes really tough. This is my first HSG game and I switched over to easy mode starting on the 4th rank. Even on easy mode I had trouble beating the game.

I'm having a great time and I love the feeling that my skills are improving. So you sort of do have to spend a long time getting good, but you'll still have fun doing so. At least I did.

Sera O

Banned
This game is so rewarding and maddening at the same time. Definitely the Vita game I've spent the most time with and keep coming back to, despite the fact that I know practically zero about golf (had to infer what bogey, birdie etc were before rtfm on the odd animal terminology).

As soon as I think I have grasped something, another factor's thrown in - uncertainty about clearing buildings (don't put a motel there bastards), greens from hell, serious wind, etc. I seem to lack a basic sense of how much each factor affects my shots. I figured out how to consistently do backspin and topspin which helps, but I still suck badly. I don't even want to talk about where I end up on the dailies. I won a poorly attended unofficial online match, but it was luck and everyone else being drunk/sleepy.

I see all these eagles/aces and it just boggles my mind. The characters/equip I'm using are crappy for distance, but I am definitely bad at placing the ball (and putting, good god). I'll get all birdies for a while and then completely tank on one hole due to severe misjudgement or crappy putts. Is the only answer to practice courses over and over? I don't really want to get too mathy, but more and more it seems I should repeat shots in practice mode to see how variations pan out and measure them. Ugh. Any less monotonous suggestions?

I'm still having fun despite sucking, but it would be nice to get better considering the time I've spent on it.

Number45

I'm getting my practice in with the dailies, and going for crowns in the SP mode. I don't really have the inclination to play the training modes when you at least gain in challenge mode (loyalty, currency and items). You will get better - you can get into the mathematics, but you don't need to in my opinion.

I started to struggle on pro, but I've worked my way through and beaten all but the final encounter (which I'm in no hurry to beat). Now when I go back to the challenges that seemed hard, I can win them without any trouble at all (though not necessarily meeting the crown requirements).

So yeah, practice and improve your player stats and equipment (I can recommend the pin hole clubs and balls as they improve the control stat significantly).

There are 6 courses, each with 18 holes. Challenge mode mainly consists of 6 ranks, each with 5 tournaments and 1 VS match, and a 7th rank with no tournaments and just 1 VS match. There are also unlockable harder versions of every VS match. So lots of content.

The game starts off super easy, but the difficulty curve gradually ramps up and becomes really tough. This is my first HSG game and I switched over to easy mode starting on the 4th rank. Even on easy mode I had trouble beating the game.

I'm having a great time and I love the feeling that my skills are improving. So you sort of do have to spend a long time getting good, but you'll still have fun doing so. At least I did.

Thanks for letting me know. I think I'm going to pick this up, the demo was a lot of fun.

Sera O

Banned
Are there alot of these "secret" spots to hit in this game, I always wanna experiment but I don't want to ruin my round lol

Yeah I usually play in the dailies and in challenge mode - and sometimes risks really pay off! However I often end up screwing myself over too so I am often inhibited by that. . . I think it would help a lot to watch how other people set their shots up, like someone upthread mentioned with regards to a previous version of the game.

I've cleared the pro challenges on normal difficulty, but my results are really inconsistent so maybe it does all just come down to practicing for me.

Fox1304

Just got the game, and already having lot of fun :)
Feel free to add me for some funky swinging between gaffers !

PSN ID : Fox1304

Still loving this game! Having a hard time progressing in SP because after 36 holes of dailies I want to switch to MLB The Show or something.

Oh, and the Legacy of Golf course is truly hell.

krae_man

I love the motel, perfectly flat roof for bouncing the ball off of to reach the green :D

The character, ball & Club I roll makes getting on the roof a dice roll. I've found that out the hard way:(

Are there alot of these "secret" spots to hit in this game, I always wanna experiment but I don't want to ruin my round lol

The one hole I forget which one has an aqueduct you can hit the ball onto to have the ball go right to the green. Of course it's like 6' across so it's very hard to hit.

PSN: hikarutimitt (mind the l missing from my name on there)

I'm on sporadically due to sharing the Vita with my wife and her Katamari habit. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Everytime I play a new HSG after a year or two break from the last one, I totally forget how to play.

I always though the first shot wouldn't show the wind speed, but the shots after that would. But it's always ??? for me the entire course. Not knowing how fast the wind is pushing in a particular direction is making it really tough for me to get the ball where I want it. I do the grass drop on the d-pad every shot, but it's such a tough estimate to eyeball.

Also do you have to reach a certain character level before you can do the super shots? I can't seem to do any right now.

Loving the game though, also doing surprisingly better than I normally do in the first couple of courses. I think I always got around par or -1/2/3 in the old games, but on the first couple of courses I'm doing even better, yay!

Bebpo

Banned
You're not shown wind speed until your ball hits the Green. You need loyalty level 3 to do special shots.

You mean, the green as in the putting area? Or as in any shot that isn't in the rough/semi-rough? Because if it's the latter, it's not working for me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The one hole I forget which one has an aqueduct you can hit the ball onto to have the ball go right to the green. Of course it's like 6' across so it's very hard to hit.
You mean Kagurayama's 16th hole where you hit it through the wheel? It was awesome the first time I hit it but it's not something I'd try to do regularly.

You're not shown wind speed until your ball hits the Green. You need loyalty level 3 to do special shots.
Yeah but you can have a pretty good idea by pressing down and watching how fast the grass falls in which direction the wind is blowing.

You mean, the green as in the putting area? Or as in any shot that isn't in the rough/semi-rough? Because if it's the latter, it's not working for me.
Putting area is the Green. What you're asking about is the Fairway.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, if the wind mph is never shown, then can I get some pointers as to how to judge it? It's the only thing really hurting my game atm.

Like say you are doing a full length 240+yard drive with the hole exactly at the end of it 240Y away, If the wind is STRONG and blowing towards the hole, how many yards fewer should I compensate?

What about if the wind is blowing hard to the RIGHT. How many yards to the left should I move to compensate for how much it will get blown right while in the air?

And then same 2 questions if the wind is medium

And then same 2 questions if the wind is minor

krae_man

You mean Kagurayama's 16th hole where you hit it through the wheel? It was awesome the first time I hit it but it's not something I'd try to do regularly.

No, that you can just hit around. there's another hole on another course with an aqueduct you can hit the ball on. The hole is over 400 yards long and the aqueduct is out of bounds you either hit this narrow stone thing bang on, or you just cost yourself 3 strokes.

Hmm, if the wind mph is never shown, then can I get some pointers as to how to judge it? It's the only thing really hurting my game atm.

Like say you are doing a full length 240+yard drive with the hole exactly at the end of it 240Y away, If the wind is STRONG and blowing towards the hole, how many yards fewer should I compensate?

What about if the wind is blowing hard to the RIGHT. How many yards to the left should I move to compensate for how much it will get blown right while in the air?

And then same 2 questions if the wind is medium

And then same 2 questions if the wind is minor

The main way to tell is to press down on the d-pad before you start your shot. The character will drop some grass and the wind will blow it away depending on where it's coming from and how much wind there is.

Even after taking wind into account, you also have to take the slope into consideration as that will skew your shot.

Top Bottom