• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

Zheph

metal gear back in the hands of kojima?
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Starfield about to be a pretty good game on GAF. Maybe goty material.
Naw. It'll still be a mid game that does some things well, but fails in the areas that people love about Bethesda games.

The PS5 should drastically be better than the Xbox launch version though with fewer bugs and most (if not all) DLC. They really need to prioritize getting it running at 60 fps, though.

Honestly, MS would be better off launching sooner rather than later so that they can sell DLC on the PSN, instead of releasing it with all bundled in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Major Nelson’s departure was quite a shock to me actually. He knew all along what was going on jumped ship before it got worse. It is getting much worse now especially with this news for them. He made the right choice it seems.
LOL. "His choice" I seriously doubt it was his choice. You don't leave a job where you're only job is to evangelize the brand. He was quite good at that. MS correctly realized that he served no purpose and likely told him to take a hike. He was well paid, so I don't feel sorry for him.

To be honest, I never had anything against Larry. But his position, was one of the things that turned me off about Xbox. The games should do all the talking. You shouldn't need someone to try and evangelize your brand, especially when it's failing in the most important areas.

LordNerevar76

Neo Member
With how much AAA games cost these days and Xbox Gamepass strategy, I'm not surprise one bit.

I could see Xbox having a Xbox Gamepass "Light" subscription on PlayStation with only Xbox Studios games in there while Microsoft release a cheap 249.99 digital only console/Gamepass machine.

Seriously, with games costing 200-300 millions to make these days, you can't ignore other platforms with the only hope of selling more hardware. The future is games available everywhere with each big guys having their own subscription services.

The next big story is if Nintendo will follow this trend as well. When their first party games start to cost hundred of million to make, they'll have no choice but consider other avenue to make a decent profit.

What a time for the industry!
Nintendo moves more consoles than anybody and almost never discounts games. I don't think they're short on cash.

GHG

Gold Member
He's right, it was inevitable.

Xbox users don't buy games. Period. Why secure exclusives when your fanbase doesn't want to spend money?

They created this situation for themselves though, nobody else:

I've noted it before but as a business they have exhibited some of the most bizarre behaviour over the last couple of years.

The combination of targeting/chasing customers who don't have money and then encouraging those already in your ecosystem to not spend money (Microsoft rewards etc) will inevitably result in the numbers that we are now seeing on a more frequent basis. It reeks of desperation but I really don't get what their long term plan is with all of this.

Even if they successfully gained market share via this methodology, how do you eventually extract money from those who don't have money (and will likely never have money because of the fact that you're giving them a cheap/free avenue to spending time playing games 24/7 for a lifetime)? How do you change your customers spending habits/mentalities when all you've ever promoted is everything around them not spending money?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I still remember how shocked that presentation left me. Unbelievable.
That was the tipping point, but MS had been heading that direction for a long while. Where MS screwed up is that they allowed bean counters to get involved Xbox. Don Mattrick being the most obvious. Steve Ballmer also was an imcompetent CEO.

From 2000-2010, they largely had gamers running the brand. People like J. Allard, Peter Moore and Shane Kim (who was a HUGE douchebag) had a feel for gaming. They saw the success of Wii (not realizing this was a fad and not sustainable) and Kinect. I wonder how much better Xbox 360 would have been if not for the red ring of death. They had a ton of momentum and I very much wonder how much of that was lost from that.

The REAL funny thing is that Microsoft actually had really good rival products compared the competition, but they became followers and not leaders and whenever they were ahead of the game they screwed it up. An example, was that in 2006-2007, they wanted to make Xbox the place to do digital movie downloads, so they tried to force a stalemate in the Bluray/HD-DVD format war. They screwed that up and apple ended up dominating that market until streaming became huge. Zune was an outstanding mp3 player. Surface was a killer tablet. I hear great things about the Windows phone.

The issue is the Xbox fans, nobody seems to want to explain to them how this move will benefit them in any way, shape, or form. How do you explain to the loyal fans who spent alot of $ on an Xbox console to play Xbox exclusives, that those exclusives are no longer a thing, when many of those gamers now feel like they wasted $500 on Series X or $300 on a Series S now that those games are no longer exclusive? Money they now feel would have been better spent on PC or PS5. How do you justify a move which seems like it will actually hurt the chances of 3rd party developers porting to Xbox consoles in the future, when Xbox is already the platform most in need of ports (no exclusives means less hardware sales, less hardware sales means smaller playerbase, smaller playerbase means higher difficulty of seeing a return on investment on your port to Xbox)? How do you soothe those who feel cheated and burned by Microsoft due to this move?

Is Xbox going to use the money from this multiplatform move to buy hardware success next gen, either through more acquisitions (perhaps) or hatting 3rd party exclusives (doubtful)? Will they use this multiplat money to pay 3rd party developers to port to Xbox consoles (doubtful)? Or are Microsoft and gamers on other platforms really the only ones who benefit from this move, while your own loyal fanbase gets the shaft?
When did xbox fans spend money?

Midn1ght

Nintendo moves more consoles than anybody and almost never discounts games. I don't think they're short on cash.
True. And they might be the last company that actually move hardware mostly for their exclusives and unique titles. Though arguably, their hybrid concept is also a huge seller for families with kids. Let's see if they keep their momentum with the Switch 2.

Still, budget for games have gone through the roof and Nintendo is just like any other company out there, they want to make money.

Very unlikely to happen of course, but honestly, I never thought Sony would release their exclusives on PC and I never thought Xbox would just give up their hardware and go third party but here we are.

never say never GIF

Last edited:

Winter John

I upgraded my Series S to an X for Starfield because once again I fell for Todd's bullshit. It's my fault. He said it would be different this time and like a fool I let him back in the house.
Then I decided to sell off one of the consoles because my daughter wasn't interested and it seemed dumb having 2 of em. I sold the PS5 because the X has the disc drive, and of course Gamepass.

1ebfb9ce-be41-4dec-93e1-4754c62499a4_text.gif

Fuck it. I'm getting a Switch.

Shit, I need to sell my series x before the value completely plummets. We're witnessing the end of the console war before our very eyes. Microsoft finally realised there's nothing they can do but throw in the towel.

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard

What did I tell you yesterday? Have you reached the acceptance stage yet?

Flabagast

Remember June 2023, with Starfield Showcase and ABK transaction Microsoft seemed so strong, so confident, so looking forward.

Xbox fans losers would have laughed at your nose if you had told them that only 6 months later the brand would be in absolute shambles, with cratering sales and a last resort desperate ridiculous move of porting all its mediocre exclusivities to a competitor's platform that has constantly humiliated the brand and its fans for decades. Yet here we are.

What a joke. Remaining a Xbox fan after this travesty is worse than being a cuckhold imho, your sense of self must be absolutely non existent.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Shit, I need to sell my series x before the value completely plummets. We're witnessing the end of the console war before our very eyes. Microsoft finally realised there's nothing they can do but throw in the towel.

Posted a comment here. The market is gonna change soon. Better hurry up.

More casual gamers will jump to PS5.

Also, this: if anybody is on the fence about buying/selling anything, the market and pricing are likely to be changed very soon for everything: Xbox, PS5, PC components. Better hurry up.

k3FAhKs.jpg

kW04gHj.jpg

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
This is honestly sad and pathetic to see xbox in this state. Never thought xbox would be in the same conversation as embracer group.

They've really cocked this one up

Jadsey

Speaking as someone who sold their Series X because Starfield was so aggressively bad, this doesn't really matter.

If they bring over Gears and Forza Horizon....that would be both mindblowing and awesome.

Halo Infinite was shite, please don't bring that over.

Green bows out, it’s up to blue and red now

A new contestant enters!…

bruce lee GIF

It’d be so nice if some little company like Sega would enter the market again with all their craziness, and maybe some more responsible business sense this time. It could be magical times 😁.

Like Nintendo, they could create games that are just pure fun to play and it would be a great competitor once more. God I miss those awesome arcadey games of them.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
They created this situation for themselves though, nobody else:
Yep I said in another thread the GP model just killed them.

Pay £10 a month or get a months free subscription - play game on day one or keep day one exclusives off GP for 3 to 6 months minimum and any whales / fomos that cant wait will spend £60+ on that title thus giving shit loads more revenue to MS.

They've pissed on their own chips (fries)

Last edited:

DJ12

A new contestant enters!…

bruce lee GIF

It’d be so nice if some little company like Sega would enter the market again with all their craziness, and maybe some more responsible business sense this time. It could be magical times 😁.

Like Nintendo, they could create games that are just pure fun to play and it would be a great competitor once more. God I miss those awesome arcadey games of them.
I'm intrigued as to who you might think will take up the mantle of last place now MS with all their funds has conceded defeat?

Pretty sure they'll be two consoles makers for the forseeable.

Maybe Apple will come in but operate in a completely different space than Sony/Nintendo ie go super high end and expensive.

No one is taking on a failed brand.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I'm all good man. Fully accepted. :)

It's gonna be good.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I truly believe I would have done a better job at running Xbox than Microsoft. Like im not kidding. I would do a better job at than Phil and Satya

Who would have thought your console would fail if you train your entire audience to be cheap fucks and hate buying games. LMAO

Last edited:
Top Bottom