• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. 3 (F3AR) |OT| Sibling Rivalry

daffy

Banned
fOpQN.jpg

Developer: Day 1 Studios | Publisher: Warner Bros Interactive | Engine: Despair Engine
Release Dates:[NA] June 21, 2011 [UK] June 24, 2011 [AU] June 29, 2011
Platforms: PS3/X360/PC
Price: $59.99 Console | 49.99 PC

Official Site: http://www.whatisfear.com/

F.E.A.R. 3 Launch Trailer

Single Player

The Story Thus Far:
Nine months ago, Point Man and his F.E.A.R. squad were tapped to stop an unknown man who had commandeered a secret battalion of telepathically-controlled supersoldiers at the Armacham research facility in the Northwestern US city of Fairport. During the mission Point Man learned that the man wasn’t working alone. In fact, the very people Point Man was working to destroy were his telepathic, cannibalistic brother, Paxton Fettel, and his tortured and psychically powerful mother, Alma Wade—products of Armacham’s perverse paranormal experiments. Despite this revelation, Point Man moved forward with the standing F.E.A.R. team orders to stop the targets at any cost. In a last-ditch attempt to end the pair’s homicidal rampage, the F.E.A.R. team set in motion an explosive series of events that seemingly accomplished their goal but at the cost of avaging the city, its inhabitants and almost all of Point Man’s squad mates.

For months following the blast, events in Fairport have made it clear that Alma’s psychic influence survived—and worse, her paranormal power is growing and spilling into reality. Now her supernatural agony repeatedly rocks the city as she attempts to secure the survival of her bloodline and reunite her family. Armacham’s security force remains violently focused on eliminating all evidence of the events in the city, and the remaining F.E.A.R squad carries on the mission to stop Alma.

With the chain of command broken and Point Man calling his own shots, where will his allegiance lie? With his brother Paxton Fettel, back from the dead, arriving with an unclear agenda and refusing to leave Point Man’s side? With his pregnant mother Alma and her horrifically twisted, yet immensely powerful paranormal existence? Or with his remaining F.E.A.R. squad brethren who are hell bent on saving the world, but at the cost of destroying the only blood ties Point Man has ever had?

Screens:

fear-3-e3-03qcmi.jpg

fear-3-e3-049ink.jpg

fear-3-e3-05bi4b.jpg

fear-3-e3-06ai9m.jpg

fear-3-e3-07lgmw.jpg

fear-3-e3-094ixd.jpg

fear-3-screenshot-03gh4g.jpg

fear-3-screenshot-046cwb.jpg

fear-3-screenshot-024efz.jpg

Multi Player

Modes:
• Fucking Run features 4 players running through waves of enemies, all the while running from Alma's massive "Wall of Death." The players start off in a safe room and proceed through levels, killing enemies within a certain amount of time.

• Contractions is a survival round-based game mode where you must barricade and stock up weapons against 20 waves of enemies from the F.E.A.R. 3 single player, similar to Call of Duty's "Nazi Zombies," although the farther you increase through the waves the tougher it gets by adding a fog effect that creeps closer and closer making the map much more dangerous.

• Soul Survivor has four players pinned against each other with one player playing as a "Spectre" in which he or she has to possess enemies to kill the other three players and turn them into Spectres before the time runs out.

• Soul King is similar to Soul Survivor but with the exception that all the players play as Spectres and must possess enemies to kill each other and collect dropped souls.

Screens:
image_f_e_a_r_3-15374-cuta.jpg

image_f_e_a_r_3-15374-kn5i.jpg

image_f_e_a_r_3-15374-kn6v.jpg

image_f_e_a_r_3-15374-9ns2.jpg

image_f_e_a_r_3-15374-qn2n.jpg

Media:
Official Multiplayer Trailer

Official Story Trailer

Official F*cking Run Trailer

Official E3 2010 Trailer

Soul King Trailer

Trophies:
F.E.A.R. 3 Trophy List

PC System Requirements:
FEAR 3 Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 4800+
RAM: 2GB
GFX: NVIDIA 8800 GT 512MB RAM, ATI 3850HD 512Mb RAM or better
HDD: 10GB Free Hard Drive Space
DirectX: 9.0c

FEAR 3 Recommended System Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93Ghz+, Intel quad core 2.66Ghz+, AMD Phenom II X2 550, 3.1Ghz+
RAM: 4GB
GFX: NVIDIA GTS 450, ATI 5750HD 512Mb RAM or better
HDD: 10GB Free Hard Drive Space
DirectX: 11

Preorder Bonuses:

Gamestop -
FEAR3_bonus.jpg
+
fear-2-project-originsgup3.jpg

Pre-order your copy of F.E.A.R. 3 at GameStop and receive exclusive access to The Hammer.
The Hammer: Fettel's original sidearm which was lost when he was killed by his brother, Point Man. The Hammer has greater stopping power than the standard F.E.A.R. issue sidearm. This .50 caliber round is a must when you need to make every shot count. A few less rounds per clip is an easy trade off for almost twice the damage! This sidearm will prove to be an able ally when playing multiplayer in F.E.A.R. 3. Pre-order your copy of F.E.A.R. 3 at GameStop and receive a copy of F.E.A.R. 2!
Amazon -

draft_lens17572810moduyux0.jpg

Order F.E.A.R. 3 and receive a $20 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Limit one per household. Also get your exclusive “F.E.A.R. 3” comic book free. The 12-page story written by Steve Niles, illustrated by Stefano Raffaele and produced by DC Comics will be packed into your shipment.

Best Buy -

fo_fear1212.gif
Free Exclusive Weapon
Here's a chance to access The Shredder, a sidearm specially developed by Armacham Technologies for their elite guard as an effective way to stop experimental super soldiers that have gone rogue.
While supplies last, when you order F.E.A.R. 3 for PS3 or Xbox 360, you will get a code to access this Best Buy exclusive in-game weapon. Code is included in the package with the game.

Oh yeah and there's this:

Packshot--article_image.jpg

50smh.gif

Available somewhere....I think...

glaurung

TetraxShards said:
A pregnant Alma figurine? Really, Warner?

Could be good mindless fun. Will wait for a price drop. Nice OP, man.
That pregnant Alma figurine glows in the freaking dark.

It is either the best collectible ever or an insidious ploy on Warner's part to give your kids nightmares and force you to pay thousands for therapy.

I am still on the fence about the game itself though. If it turns out to be good, I might consider the PS3 version.

Reminds me more of postal than of FEAR.
There's been like zero info on this, no reviews yet no nothing , strict bomba embargo I guess.

Ebenezer

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
So does it have a cover system?

Yup. There's another thread around here with screenshots showing a "Press E to take cover" message that popped up on the screen.

edit- ninjad

FGMPR

Banned
"Nine months ago, Point Man and his F.E.A.R. squad were tapped to stop an unknown man who had commandeered a secret battalion of telepathically-controlled supersoldiers at the Armacham research facility in the Northwestern US city of Fairport. During the mission Point Man learned that the man wasn’t working alone. In fact, the very people Point Man was working to destroy were his telepathic, cannibalistic brother, Paxton Fettel, and his tortured and psychically powerful mother, Alma Wade—products of Armacham’s perverse paranormal experiments. Despite this revelation, Point Man moved forward with the standing F.E.A.R. team orders to stop the targets at any cost. In a last-ditch attempt to end the pair’s homicidal rampage, the F.E.A.R. team set in motion an explosive series of events that seemingly accomplished their goal but at the cost of avaging the city, its inhabitants and almost all of Point Man’s squad mates.

For months following the blast, events in Fairport have made it clear that Alma’s psychic influence survived—and worse, her paranormal power is growing and spilling into reality. Now her supernatural agony repeatedly rocks the city as she attempts to secure the survival of her bloodline and reunite her family. Armacham’s security force remains violently focused on eliminating all evidence of the events in the city, and the remaining F.E.A.R squad carries on the mission to stop Alma.

With the chain of command broken and Point Man calling his own shots, where will his allegiance lie? With his brother Paxton Fettel, back from the dead, arriving with an unclear agenda and refusing to leave Point Man’s side? With his pregnant mother Alma and her horrifically twisted, yet immensely powerful paranormal existence? Or with his remaining F.E.A.R. squad brethren who are hell bent on saving the world, but at the cost of destroying the only blood ties Point Man has ever had?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say, on paper, that sounds like one of the most absurd story's in gaming history.
(I never finished F.E.A.R, or F2).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FGMPR said:

I have to say, on paper, that sounds like one of the most absurd story's in gaming history.
(I never finished F.E.A.R, or F2).

The ending of FEAR 2 was certainly... interesting:
Alma rapes you, which is why she's pregnant.

FGMPR

Banned
glaurung said:
That pregnant Alma figurine glows in the freaking dark.

It is either the best collectible ever or an insidious ploy on Warner's part to give your kids nightmares and force you to pay thousands for therapy.

I am still on the fence about the game itself though. If it turns out to be good, I might consider the PS3 version.

It should have been a glow in the dark Alma giving birth for extra barf points.

I'm very interested due to the amazon $47 PC price with $20 credit - which shows for pc but I F3AR it applies only to console versions

Just ordered my copy from Toys R Us for $25 (2 for $50 deal). For that price it was a no-brainer. I really enjoyed 1 & 2 so lets hope WB has strayed too far with 3.

Team Klimt said:
Just ordered my copy from Toys R Us for $25 (2 for $50 deal). For that price it was a no-brainer. I really enjoyed 1 & 2 so lets hope WB has strayed too far with 3.

yeah crazy price

Dyno

I really enjoyed FEAR and FEAR 2 but for different reasons. This one seems to be ramping up the crazy so I think it will feel and play differently then some other shooters. I do like horror and there isn't enough of it out for my tastes.

That said there has been no hype for it and the screens look pretty basic. Has anyone seen it in play?

bumpkin

Team Klimt said:
Did they take the deal down or something? I followed the link from CAG's forums and it brings up a "promotion not found" message. :(

And I agree with what you said about hoping WB doesn't stray too far. I actually never played the first game (other than a demo), but enjoyed the 2nd. Pretty intense finale and a really messed up ending.

Team Klimt said:

Is this still going on?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
As much as a FEAR fan as I am, I'm sitting on the wall for now. I've got absolutely zero faith in Day One Studios to make a game worthy of the sub-par FEAR 2, let alone the genre classic first game.

.la1n

I enjoyed the first game and to an extent the second. This doesn't look like the FEAR I know and love. I'll give it a rental and see how it holds up.

spats

FEAR 1 was incredible back in the day. FEAR 2 was a pretty forgettable corridor shooter but I still enjoyed it. Awesome bargain bin game. Looking forward to picking this up at a later date assuming it's not a complete turdfest.

XPE

Fear 3 was always going to be at a disadvantage after the rather lack lustre Fear 2. =/

Edit: and after re5 no one was going to embrace coop horror.

The level of awareness for this game reminds me of the days leading up to Singularity's launch. Hopefully it turns out to be a sleeper hit but I'm not holding my breath.

Man, I wonder if they'll link FEAR to Condemned... and make both stories completely absurd.

I never finished the first one, but I think I'll pick up FEAR and FEAR 2... they're like five bucks now or something?

Will Point Man talk in this one?

Druz

I wonder about the quality of this third title. Who are the developers in relation to Fear 1/2

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I never finished the first one, but I think I'll pick up FEAR and FEAR 2... they're like five bucks now or something?

Steam weekend deal was fear collection all titles for $10

grab it quick as it will likely disappear soon

Moofers

What's this shit about FEAR 2 being sub-par/lackluster? It was fucking awesome. Memorable locations like the school where the "puppet masters" are introduced, the nuked streets complete with ash people frozen in place, and the incredible scenes where you pilot those mechs and wreak havoc, all worked to make that one hell of a great game. Who could forget the first time you opened a door only to take a step forward and find yourself teleported into an open field where alma used to play? Remember what happened when you turned around to go back out the door?

FEAR 2 was amazing.

Untracked

I loved FEAR.
FEAR2 was a decent enough shooter, I remember Cortana kept swearing at me a lot.
I'm still undecided on 3 though. Co-op sounds good in theory and it looks creepy but I'm thinking I've been there and done it all before. Will probably pick it up cheap at some point.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Druz said:
I wonder about the quality of this third title. Who are the developers in relation to Fear 1/2

They did a shoddy porting job of FEAR to the 360 and PS3. That and they made Fracture, which has to be one of the most stupid games ever released.

M.W.

I probably wouldn't have bothered with this game, but that TRU deal made me pull the trigger. Hope it's decent.

Honestly I liked Fear 2 more than 1, 1 has superior gunplay to me, but 2 has more varied environments, which takes the cake.

This new Fear has me worried, if it is terrible then that just sucks, ruining an interesting franchise just plain sucks.

Derrick01

Banned
Unrelated to the actual game, but if I hear that AWFUL song in the commercial one more time I'm going to stab my eardrums. I must see that commercial at least 10 times a day and it's almost turning me off of the game.

Will wait for gaf impressions instead. Fear 2 sucked something awful.

Rubezh

I'm extremely concerned regarding the 4 hour duration of the campaign. In theory, I guess it could be extended with multiple playthroughs as Point Man/Fettel, online co-op, and the scoring system, but it would have to be a really fantastic 4 hours to warrant that. As for the multiplayer, I'm not sure what to think of that as I never really bothered with it in FEAR 1 and 2. With a maximum of 4 players in each game, it seems like a rather big limitation.

ouch 4 hour campaign, plus they developed Fracture?

I think will just finish my copy of Fear 2 instead. I got Fracture bargain bin price but still thought it was trash.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
YuriLowell said:
how many people have played fear on consoles vs pc?

Fear 2 was too consolized for its own good.
I played FEAR 1 and 2 both on the PC and I much preferred FEAR 2. There were some aspects of the original I preferred, but overall, I thought FEAR 1 was a pretty boring, ugly game.

What is it about FEAR 2 that you felt was too consolized? A lot of the changes they made felt like genuine improvements to me.

YuriLowell said:
Is the TRU deal still going on?

Damn. Apparently not. It's down on the site now. I'm glad I ordered yesterday. Looking on CAG there is a lot of reports of mass hoarding since the re-sale on all those games is more than the $25 cost. Sucks for people who wanted in on this legit :/

YuriLowell said:
how many people have played fear on consoles vs pc?

Fear 2 was too consolized for its own good.

Yup, exactly, which is why I think people who liked Fear 2 over Fear 1 probably played both on consoles. On PC, the first one DESTROYS the 2nd one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As a huge fan of the first two games (on PC, not the terrible console ports), I'm pretty much positive that this retains nothing that made the first two games good. Actually, I'm sure it'll be downright terrible, and the developer certainly has the pedigree to manage that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
nextgeneration said:
Yup, exactly, which is why I think people who liked Fear 2 over Fear 1 probably played both on consoles. On PC, the first one DESTROYS the 2nd one.
In what way? As noted above, I played both on the PC.

The original game felt incredibly janky to me. The first person animation was awful, the gun models ugly, and the levels were incredibly boring and repetitive. FEAR 2 still had somewhat dull level design, but the game just felt better to play.

People always touted the AI in the original FEAR, but it seemed to revolve around dive rolling under cover and back again. It never impressed me in that area.

I seriously hope that isn't what people are hung up on.

I've played them both on PC and console, the console games both suck hard, that doesn't change the fact that Fear 2 on PC is less of a chore to play like the first game with the endless corridor office mazes.

dark10x said:
In what way? As noted above, I played both on the PC.

The original game felt incredibly janky to me. The first person animation was awful, the gun models ugly, and the levels were incredibly boring and repetitive. FEAR 2 still had somewhat dull level design, but the game just felt better to play.

People always touted the AI in the original FEAR, but it seemed to revolve around dive rolling under cover and back again. It never impressed me in that area.

I seriously hope that isn't what people are hung up on.

The gun play in the first one was soo much better than the 2nd one. It just felt right. Not so much in 2. I also thought the first one looked better than 2 on pc.

Top Bottom