• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

The most important thing with any kind of art is to always be open to different genres and artists. Putting yourself into a bubble where only x is good and everything else is irredeemable trash is when it becomes annoying.

Pretty much. Even if you don't like the genre, that doesn't mean it's bad

Jobbs

Banned
Country is mostly trash tho.

I would equate the popular country music on the radio to being mostly... like.. a vicious attack on my whole everything... But if someone likes it I won't take that from them

Also there are a few examples of country that I can get into. With any genre there's going to be at least some things that I can dig

QxjAQck.gif

FloatOn

The most important thing with any kind of art is to always be open to different genres and artists. Putting yourself into a bubble where only x is good and everything else is irredeemable trash is when it becomes annoying.

Since you are a fan of books I'll put it like this:

Imagine learning to read. Just being totally blown away by Dr. Seuss and then you grow up a bit and discover Harry Potter.

A friend comes up to you and says "hey if you like Harry Potter you will LOVE Lord of the Rings" and you go "Nah. I'm good. YA fiction is the pinnacle of literature and I see no reason to read anything beyond that"

wouldn't that seem kind of silly?

there is an entire world of music out there with artists that are risking quite a bit to push boundaries so could you imagine how insulting it is to them for people to choose baby food over something that actually pushes the art form forward?

Misha

Banned

Imagine learning to read. Just being totally blown away by Dr. Seuss and then you grow up a bit and discover Harry Potter.

A friend comes up to you and says "hey if you like Harry Potter you will LOVE Lord of the Rings" and you go "Nah. I'm good. YA fiction is the pinnacle of literature and I see no reason to read anything beyond that"

there is an entire world of music out there with artists that are risking quite a bit to push boundaries so could you imagine how insulting it is to them for people to choose baby food over something that actually pushes the art form forward?
Personally I consider Winnie-The-Pooh to be one of the best books I've ever read. Not even kidding. The rhythm in the words and the feelings it invokes and the characterization is some amazing artistry

It would be silly and I'm sort of agreeing with you. People need to always pursue new experiences and not insulate themselves when it comes to art. This goes for books, films, music, etc. There's nothing wrong with liking x until you cut off anything that isn't x or similar to x and put yourself in a bubble. I still think Harry Potter's a really charming series, but that hasn't precluded me from reading Tolstoy.

FloatOn

It would be silly and I'm sort of agreeing with you. People need to always pursue new experiences and not insulate themselves when it comes to art. This goes for books, films, music, etc. There's nothing wrong with liking x until you cut off anything that isn't x or similar to x and put yourself in a bubble. I still think Harry Potter's a really charming series, but that hasn't precluded me from reading Tolstoy.

yeah I can agree with this.

I mean, I was feeling nostalgic and I gave the new blink182 record an honest shot.

I couldn't hang since it was trash

I still kind of like lagwagon but I don't know if you would call that pop punk or not.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I dig the new blink, but I fucking HATE Tom DeLong and it has 100% less of him than the other records

totally get that.

I'm all for low brow fun at times. I mean, hell, I'll probably watch sausage party in the theater.

but life is really short and I guess I just don't want to waste any more time on things that don't better me as a person.

it's a character thing I guess. I feel like pop punk actually betters me a lot because it gets me out of my shell at shows. plus when I listen to it I feel like I can stop worrying/overthinking stuff for a minute. at least with some songs. with others it's just like "wow I can identify with this rn", even if it may be presented in a fun, sing-along way. it's just very forward and honest music.

this is what I mean by challenging

but please go on listening to things that are comfortable and don't grow your perceptions

Right now see the mistake you've made here is thinking that I only listen to pop-punk

Because I don't

No need to be a condescending ass about it though

Not to mention that there wouldn't really be anything wrong with just liking pop-punk. And your analogy is bad, it's more like saying you love sitcoms but don't generally care for dramas or documentaries or whatever other TV. Which is also fine.

Fluvian

Banned
I would equate the popular country music on the radio to being mostly... like.. a vicious attack on my whole everything... But if someone likes it I won't take that from them

Also there are a few examples of country that I can get into. With any genre there's going to be at least some things that I can dig

Part of me loves the out law country aesthetic but I hate the music, driving around shooting shit on moonshine is great though.

Fluvian

Banned
There's just something about the rain that I love <3

Sleeping at night with the window open to the sound of rain is just amazing whilst being all snug in your bed with a slight cold temp <3

I like to purposefully get my room cold at night, the feeling of covering your feet and body with the duvet whilst freezing is bliss.

RIP me tomorrow as I jet off to Spain for my bro's stag for the weekend

Have no idea how I will survive a weekend full of alcohol

Welp, in the name of marriage right?

FloatOn

explosions in the sky and mogwai are both awesome btw. but I would never limit myself to post rock.

this is good to hear.

it would also be good to hear RNH gush about something that isn't some variation of punk at some point.

but ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Right now see the mistake you've made here is thinking that I only listen to pop-punk

Because I don't

No need to be a condescending ass about it though

Not to mention that there wouldn't really be anything wrong with just liking pop-punk. And your analogy is bad, it's more like saying you love sitcoms but don't generally care for dramas or documentaries or whatever other TV. Which is also fine.

I would love to hear you talk about something that isn't punk related at some point.

Misha

Banned
Part of me loves the out law country aesthetic but I hate the music, driving around shooting shit on moonshine is great though.
You'd like it less if you met the people. It's cool when idealized but the actual implementation less so

I like to purposefully get my room cold at night, the feeling of covering your feet and body with the duvet whilst freezing is bliss.

I also do a weird thing in that I actually sleep with my curtains open so the moonlight can light up my room

I just find such an experience really peaceful and open, not isolated in darkness for comparison

this is good to hear.

it would also be good to hear RNH gush about something that isn't some variation of punk at some point.

but ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I would love to hear you talk about something that isn't punk related at some point.

You mean like the other day when I said I really liked CHVRCHES? Not good enough?

Ok, how about Human Pyramids, or Wu Tang, or Deltron 3030 or Slade or T-Rex or Three Trapped Tigers?

I could go on. But because punk's what I listen to most of the time it tends to be the only genre I talk about.

Fluvian

Banned
I also do a weird thing in that I actually sleep with my curtains open so the moonlight can light up my room

I just find such an experience really peaceful and open, not isolated in darkness for comparison

I used to do the same but sometimes my alcoholic brother forgets his key, stumbles into the back garden, gets the ladder and goes up to my window. It freaked me out so bad I got blinds.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I used to do the same but sometimes my alcoholic brother forgets his key, stumbles into the back garden, gets the ladder and goes up to my window. It freaked me out so bad I got blinds.
Jesus. Someone looking in my window at night would freak me out too.

Lmao I can just imagine myself shitting myself if I saw a figure outside my window &#128514;

At least with the blinds the moonlight can still seep in

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sigh I was supposed to not do anything today but already dragged to the mail office and will do lawn work later. Im fucking tired &#128549;

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I like Gorillaz buy I like the components more. I would rather listen to Blur or Del or DE LA Soul or Cibo Matto, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom