• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Well...Trump did something stupid again.

Cpnl4-uVYAILZhA.jpg

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Boyfie is coming over to comfort me with snuggles. He's the best. We're gonna enjoy movies on my new tv 😃

1080p anime huh. Is it 3D? It'll make the tentacles seem like they're coming right off the screen

Jobbs

Banned
It's got a lot of potential. Totally banking on a tragic massacre.

From the trailer it seems to be the SW movie I've wanted my entire life and have never gotten. EP7 was inoffensive but it didn't have that slightly heavier tone I've always wanted + the story was just a silly ANH retread

Misha

Banned
From the trailer it seems to be the SW movie I've wanted my entire life and have never gotten. EP7 was inoffensive but it didn't have that slightly heavier tone I've always wanted + the story was just a silly ANH retread

Ive always wanted one of those and also a more personal story about a character trying to make their way in the galaxy and dealing with pirates and crime lords and stuff. Tbh the han solo movie might give me that but I was hoping for a new character

jb1234

I give them a pass on EP7 because they were clearly playing it safe after the reaction the prequels got. It's up to future Star Wars entries to take the franchise in different (and hopefully heavier) directions.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I am with you 100%.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I adore TFA. I have the Blu Ray... and I am generally not much of a collector of things by any stretch. Very minimalist by nature. But I scooped that movie up big-time. It's clearly flawed but it works for me on almost every level anyway somehow. It's probably a combination of three pivotal things:

I. I'm a complete space opera nerd
II. I'm the rare breed of complete space opera nerd whose standards are admittedly kinda low lol
III. Daisy Ridley's performance floored me

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Rogue One is going to be the best SW movie since Episode V

Jobbs

Banned
I also really really really like Jin Orso. ♥
will be sad when she bites it at the end of the movie

Ep7 was, honestly, just competent. It elevated SW by displaying basic film making competence and having characters who seemed believable as people. Those two things wouldn't normally elevate any movie, but the prequels really set the bar rreaaaally low

I was satisfied on first viewing but, really, did we need another Death Star? That whole aspect fell totally flat

Rogue One is going to be the best SW movie since Episode V

This is kinda how I'm feeling about it right now, but we'll see. EP5 is so much better than the second best SW movie it's not even funny. EP5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EP7 > EP6 > EP4 > prequels

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Episode VII was a proof of concept.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Episode VII was nothing special and it pisses me off that somehow, people thought that it was the movie that was needed to save the franchise. No it didn't need saving. The brand alone still carried massive weight, even after the Prequels.

Jobbs

Banned
Episode VII was nothing special and it pisses me off that somehow, people thought that it was the movie that was needed to save the franchise. No it didn't need saving. The brand alone still carried massive weight, even after the Prequels.

If EP7 was terrible or even close to as bad as the prequels it would have been devastating for the SW brand. The stakes were insanely high. That's why Disney basically just remade ANH and played it as safe as possible

Misha

Banned
If EP7 was terrible or even close to as bad as the prequels it would have been devastating for the SW brand. The stakes were insanely high. That's why Disney basically just remade ANH and played it as safe as possible

It was.

Nostalgia pandering apparently works well though

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I liked TFA but the third deathstar super weapon shtick was the laziest fucking shit ever. The best of TFA is the stuff that isn't tired retreads. I like the movie as a fun popcorn adventure and solid Star Wars outing but I feel all the great stuff is painfully let down but the poo. Rei and Kylo deserved a better movie.

jb1234

This is kinda how I'm feeling about it right now, but we'll see. EP5 is so much better than the second best SW movie it's not even funny. EP5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EP7 > EP6 > EP4 > prequels

Why would you put EP6 ahead of 4? It's basically just a rip-off of that movie (but with worse pacing and Ewoks) and half the cast seemed to be phoning it in.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I still doubt that would have mattered. There's just too much goodwill from the original trilogy to make any real negative impact. Afterall, didn't you want something more meaningful brought to the table for a mainline entry? Something like the Originals instead of something that merely looks like the Originals?

Jobbs

Banned
I still doubt that would have mattered. There's just too much goodwill from the original trilogy to make any real negative impact. Afterall, didn't you want something more meaningful brought to the table for a mainline entry? Something like the Originals instead of something that merely looks like the Originals?

For me and a lot of others that remaining spark for SW would have been snuffed out if the movie were as bad as the prequels and I'd stop caring

Why would you put EP6 ahead of 4? It's basically just a rip-off of that movie (but with worse pacing and Ewoks) and half the cast seemed to be phoning it in.

There's nothing in EP4 for me, really, I just kinda never cared about it. Episode 6 did some really dumb shit (ewoks, slave leia, and what's with all the horrible matte paintings when ESB just had real sets and props??) but it also had some things that really resonated with me, such as Vader's redemption and a really spectacular space battle, that, aside from a few ugly bits (the super star destroyer crashing into the death star), still looks great.

One of the shots early in the battle -- When all the ties come in -- Was the most complex visual effect in cinema history and remained so for a long time IIRC. You wouldn't believe all the labor that went into making these shots... Now people just make ugly cartoon looking crap in a computer and shit it all over the screen and it all looks terrible

EatChildren

I like the strengths of EP6 more than EP4. All the Emperor's Throne Room stuff is fucking incredible cinema. The dynamic of the Emperor, Luke, and Vader is a cocktail of three very distinct, different characters playing their role and developing on the fly. Plus the soundtrack is dope as hell.

But then yeah, the Endor moon stuff is really pretty terrible. It's got the worst pacing of any stretch in the original trilogy, meanders around boring sequences and setpieces, with little character development. It isn't until the climax that it becomes interesting, and even then you're stuck with Ewoks.

For that reason, the pacing, EP4 wins out for me. I might love that throne room stuff to pieces, but at least EP4 flows really well, hits its narrative beats on point, and doesn't let up.

I liked TFA but the third deathstar super weapon shtick was the laziest fucking shit ever. The best of TFA is the stuff that isn't tired retreads. I like the movie as a fun popcorn adventure and solid Star Wars outing but I feel all the great stuff is painfully let down but the poo. Rei and Kylo deserved a better movie.

They also waste no time in retreating to the safety of the Rebel vs Empire archetype. The republic won the war, and the empire is a tiny fraction of its former power. But we never see anything about this new status quo, we jump straight to plucky rebels (presumably rebels inside the new empire's territory?) led by Leia. And the republic gets their capital blown up and according to some sources has their fleet blown up instantly by the super weapon. So now it's back to square one, powerful military empire vs outgunned rebellion.

The best part of the old EU was dealing with the consequences of the Empire's waning and fall. You can tell gripping stories without the New Republic being militarily impotent. But they wanted to try and recreate the OT status quo as fast as possible to try and recapture the magic.

SolVanderlyn

Luke looks the coolest in VI and he has that might-fall-to-the-dark side edge. I though that was cool.

It's my least favorite of the OT. I'd rank it equally with III.

EatChildren

They also waste no time in retreating to the safety of the Rebel vs Empire archetype. The republic won the war, and the empire is a tiny fraction of its former power. But we never see anything about this new status quo, we jump straight to plucky rebels (presumably rebels inside the new empire's territory?) led by Leia. And the republic gets their capital blown up and according to some sources has their fleet blown up instantly by the super weapon. So now it's back to square one, powerful military empire vs outgunned rebellion.

The best part of the old EU was dealing with the consequences of the Empire's waning and fall. You can tell gripping stories without the New Republic being militarily impotent. But they wanted to try and recreate the OT status quo as fast as possible to try and recapture the magic.

Yeah exactly. There's no brevity or purpose to anything, no weight or reason. It's been said a thousand times, but the short council meeting in the first half of EP4 eloquently established the political climate of the Empire, ongoing political and military strategy, the roles of leadership, and what implications this will have on the Rebels along with the galaxy at large. Power feels earned and impactful.

TFA just retires to a very simple "Empire is backed because reasons, also they have a super weapon because it's convenient, heyo adventure". And I mean conflict of forces is fine, and Star Wars is still about adventure, but I think sometimes people forget how convincing and well established through elegant simplicity the politics of the OT are expressed. There's just none of that in TFA so far to really draw me into the universe, even if I like the characters plenty.

jb1234

I like the strengths of EP6 more than EP4. All the Emperor's Throne Room stuff is fucking incredible cinema. The dynamic of the Emperor, Luke, and Vader is a cocktail of three very distinct, different characters playing their role and developing on the fly. Plus the soundtrack is dope as hell.

But then yeah, the Endor moon stuff is really pretty terrible. It's got the worst pacing of any stretch in the original trilogy, meanders around boring sequences and setpieces, with little character development. It isn't until the climax that it becomes interesting, and even then you're stuck with Ewoks.

For that reason, the pacing, EP4 wins out for me. I might love that throne room stuff to pieces, but at least EP4 flows really well, hits its narrative beats on point, and doesn't let up.

I didn't realize how badly paced EP6 was until I rewatched it just a few months ago. The entire Jabba sequence should have been hacked to bits. It doesn't get much better at Endor. The climax is by far the most engaging part of the film but by then, it's too late. I'd rather watch EP3 instead, honestly. It's a mess of a film but the dramatic beats it hits (or tries to) are more interesting.

(And I've remained deeply unsettled by the entire "Emperor tortures Luke" sequence. It's acted a little too well.)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All those negative things coming out over NMS are hella depressing. I believed everything Sean said ;_;

edit also apparently I'm late for work lol. Dangit GAF. OMW.

Jobbs

Banned
All those negative things coming out over NMS are hella depressing. I believed everything Sean said ;_;

edit also apparently I'm late for work lol. Dangit GAF. OMW.

I don't mean to say "I told you so" but I've been calling this guy Moly forever

Like in that post I basically described exactly what the game turned out to be

My intuition when it comes to people is scary IMO

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I will go a bit early to the hospital, doctor said it that I should go early and wait there

jb1234

I don't mean to say "I told you so" but I've been calling this guy Moly forever

Yeah, this is about as overt a "I told you so" post as one can be. :p

(It is fascinating watching how divisive the game is. I have friends who adore it and others who think it's absolute garbage.)

EatChildren

What if you're wrong about someone, who is reading you in turn, and also wrong about you? Can the universe maintain such a conundrum?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Morning, fakers.

I'm having a buttery croissant with PB and strawberry preserve for breakfast. I have become what I hate.

My new bed is amaaaaaziiiiing

Also on the topic of Star Wars, I know people are down on the idea of a young Han Solo film, but given who's behind it I'm expecting great things. Lord and Miller are the masters of making things that really shouldn't work amazing. They made one of the best kids films, and it was about fucking Lego! Plus, Alden Ehrenreich is awesome, he stole Hail, Caesar! even with it's stacked cast

So yeah

I'm looking forward to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom