• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my cousin Jeff

56MfmaT.png

I spent my entire childhood with him pretty much.

He was in the airforce. He was KIA in afghanistan in 2009

sweetest, most talented, handsome, smartest guy, for real

feels weird even now

Damn :(

Jobbs

Banned
I know the feeling mate, my cousin John was killed by an land mine in 2007, he was the nicest guy I've ever met, his army nickname was unfortunately Jim'll (this is before we knew Jimmy Savile was a horrible pedophille) because he was known as a guy who was super chill and could pretty much do anything you asked him to do.

Yeah, he was truly special, just one of those genuine kind and caring souls, and he just happened to have an iQ off the charts and be good at everything. What a fucking waste to die in a war.

I deleted the image because I felt weird about putting it there

Fluvian

Banned
Yeah, he was truly special, just one of those genuine kind and caring souls, and he just happened to have an iQ off the charts and be good at everything. What a fucking waste to die in a war.

I deleted the image because I felt weird about putting it there

Yeah I used to have a picture of my cousin on the wall and I had to take it down for a while because I couldn't stop intense emotions coming up every time I saw it.
Now I hang it in a place of honour above my mantle piece, i can't afford to forget the sacrifice he made.

But its mostly joking but ok I'll stop.

EDIT: I'll be taking a break from the thread so everyone feels more comfortable. Have fun.
A good comic knows when to change his material if a certain audience isn't receptive to the jokes he's been telling.

I'm bored at work so AMA also. Just really hit me that despite being part of the origins of FakeGAF, I've disclosed very little about myself.
What's something you wish came back in style?

Fluvian

Banned
A good comic knows when to change his material if a certain audience isn't receptive to the jokes he's been telling.

What's something you wish came back in style?

Unless he's Jerry Seinfeld in which case you keep the same act for twenty years adding a new 5 mins onto the end every 4-5 years.

FloatOn

But its mostly joking but ok I'll stop.

EDIT: I'll be taking a break from the thread so everyone feels more comfortable. Have fun.

ah! dude I'm not offended and your presence here is needed.

I actually did go and measure too btw but now the whole thing is awkward

What's your all time favorite game?

toss up between dark souls and symphony of the night

I'm bored at work so AMA also. Just really hit me that despite being part of the origins of FakeGAF, I've disclosed very little about myself.

what is your biggest regret in life?

Pau

What kind of a simulator? I've done a couple small ones in school. Generally I don't think it's related to games programming since a lot of the time games are supposed to be specifically scripted to achieve an exact result but more generated games like dwarf tress and obviously simulation games are using techniques of simulation
Kind of like a queue system. We're doing a discrete event simulator. What kind did you do in school?

This weekend I'm gonna do some tiny ones just to see that I understand the concept but like I said I feel like the expect me to jump right in.

What languages are you used to? And what language is this going to be in, Java? And what's meant by simulator in this context?
I'm used to C++ and Python. Yeah this is going to be in Java.

A high school acquaintance of mine who was in my circle of friends died two days ago, in a head on collision with a teen who was high and drunk. I'm just finding out about it now.

I wasn't super close friends with him but the whole thing is so tragic and he was the nicest guy. Life is so unfair.
It really is. Stuff like illness or other natural causes... like okay that's random and shitty but as far as we know bacteria and cells don't have some sort of conscious moral system and do their shit to survive. Someone who took a life doing something that could have easily been avoided? That shit makes me mad.

ah! dude I'm not offended and your presence here is needed.

I actually did go and measure too btw but now the whole thing is awkward
Sorry, I may have read more into your disposition than I ought to have. I think sometimes people are oblivious to the fact that men can be harassed too, but if you don't mind it then I shouldn't jump in there.

Misha

Banned
Kind of like a queue system. We're doing a discrete event simulator. What kind did you do in school?
Not sure of the term exactly but one of the simulations was to simulate the spread of a forest fire and another was just the generic kind of establish rules to make thing move around and reproduce and stuff

Jobbs

Banned
Sorry, I may have read more into your disposition than I ought to have. I think sometimes people are oblivious to the fact that men can be harassed too, but if you don't mind it then I shouldn't jump in there.

Regardless if FloatOn likes the comment, I do think in general the sex talk and joking propositions ought to be dialed back a bit. It can be a bit much.

OMMV

Pau

Not sure of the term exactly but one of the simulations was to simulate the spread of a forest fire and another was just the generic kind of establish rules to make thing move around and reproduce and stuff
Oh like a life and death process? That's pretty much what we're doing. (I can't give out any real details so I'm sorry I'm being vague.)

My little test simulation is going to be the life and death process of Batman's sidekicks...

FloatOn

I very rarely actually get upset at anything that is said on the internet and I think most everyone here has the best of intentions so I wasn't stressed.

I do appreciate you looking out though. And if this were real life and I didn't somewhat know Vaz you would be completely on point.

This weekend I'm gonna do some tiny ones just to see that I understand the concept but like I said I feel like the expect me to jump right in.

I'm used to C++ and Python. Yeah this is going to be in Java.

Oh, you'll be able to pick up Java pretty easily then, a lot of it should already be pretty familiar. If you ever need a hand with anything, don't hesitate to shoot me a PM. I'm used to C# more, but they're baaaaasically the same thing haha c:

Misha

Banned
Oh like a life and death process? That's pretty much what we're doing. (I can't give out any real details so I'm sorry I'm being vague.)

My little test simulation is going to be the life and death process of Batman's sidekicks...
I think so. It's been awhile :p

Also Java is easier than any of the languages you know so far.

Are you taking the Lazarus put into account :p

FloatOn

I think that if anyone is actually offended by anything that is said here we all know each other well enough to say so.

I personally find all the sexy talk extremely amusing.

Unless he's Jerry Seinfeld in which case you keep the same act for twenty years adding a new 5 mins onto the end every 4-5 years.

WHAT'S WITH THAT?!

If you've been tasked with writing "the simulation functions" while someone else writes "the classes", it seems like "the classes" are going to represent the sidekick while you need to write the code that loops through all the runs of the simulator and records the results? Or do you also have to keep track of timing, too?

With Java, I feel like it's classes all the way down, so "the classes" seems ambiguous to me.

WHAT'S WITH THAT?!

If you've been tasked with writing "the simulation functions" while someone else writes "the classes", it seems like "the classes" are going to represent the sidekick while you need to write the code that loops through all the runs of the simulator and records the results? Or do you also have to keep track of timing, too?

With Java, I feel like it's classes all the way down, so "the classes" seems ambiguous to me.

Tbh if somebody would want to make the class structure and I am tasked with only writing the algorithms I probably would do that. But it is a silly way to divide things.

Good job making Vazra leave guys >:c

Tbh if somebody would want to make the class structure and I am tasked with only writing the algorithms I probably would do that. But it is a silly way to divide things.

I'm not even sure how that'd work. Like, what if a class is needed but that class hasn't been created yet? That's just an unnecessary blocker, surely?

Also, pro-tip for all programmers: TDD IS THE BEST™. That is all.

Zero²

Regardless if FloatOn likes the comment, I do think in general the sex talk and joking propositions ought to be dialed back a bit. It can be a bit much.

OMMV
I thought better of you job.

Seriously though, if you are uncomfortable about the vibe here just speak up, and the sex talk will prob go elsewhere. No need dance around it really.

Good job making Vazra leave guys >:c

I'm not even sure how that'd work. Like, what if a class is needed but that class hasn't been created yet? That's just an unnecessary blocker, surely?

Also, pro-tip for all programmers: TDD IS THE BEST™. That is all.

Then you blame the person that created the classes. If it is a flawless class structure everything should be linked perfectly.

But that won't happen, which is why you don't divide the work that way.

And I mostly program games, TDD is a bit tedious with it but I should work like that on lower level stuff.

Jobbs

Banned
Zero²;215558374 said:
I thought better of you job.

Seriously though, if you are uncomfortable about the vibe here just speak up, and the sex talk will prob go elsewhere. No need dance around it really.

I have fun in the thread like most of you, but there are definitely times when I don't like the vibe. I don't really want to write a list of indictments, but suffice it to say I prefer a friendly, positive, inclusive atmosphere.

Pau

I think so. It's been awhile :p

Also Java is easier than any of the languages you know so far.

Are you taking the Lazarus put into account :p
Not at first at least. Trying to make something simple first and then adding on to it.

Right he said he would do the object classes and I'd do like the simulation routines: Initialization, timing, record keeping, etc.

Then you blame the person that created the classes. If it is a flawless class structure everything should be linked perfectly.

But that won't happen, which is why you don't divide the work that way.

And I mostly program games, TDD is a bit tedious with it but I should work like that on lower level stuff.
He isn't trained as a programmer. He's a mathematician. I don't think he's ever had to divide a programming assignment like this. I get the feeling that he's not happy about being saddled with an undergraduate "assistant" so he tells me as little as possible and answers all my questions as if I'm an idiot. His only instruction to me was: "I'll deal with the object classes. You write the simulator."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom