• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
Why is all good you eat while at a cabin or camping bad? I can't think of any better suggestions but surely there could be options

AcridMeat

Banned
Went to bed like
house-of-dracula-bones.gif

Got out of bed like
tumblr_lhtj2zHSIx1qcay1ao1_500.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Been curious tho?
Also what is your favorite pizza topping?
And worst alcoholic drink?

Not really, but if the offer was on the table I wouldn't say no because fuck it why not try everything once.
Anything with eggplant. I also have this indian spiced garlic stuff that I love on pizza.
Overly sweet white wines and some rums. Vodka also induces an automatic gag reflex, but that's because I ruined it in my youth.

Misha

Banned
Portal is kinda overrated tbh
Personally I consider it the prototypical video game. The plot and gameplay are directly related and the difficulty curve is great. But a lot of that is because they simplified a lot of things. It's incredibly linear and the plot is pretty much just "you're playing a game within the game". Still most games are bad at making gameplay meaningful or having an interesting plot so maybe they should simplify more before they tackle huge projects that are mostly fluff

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the elegant simplicity and haunting mystery of Portal that is lost in its predecessor, particularly in the final confrontation with Glados and her cryptic speak of the outside of the world. At the height of Half-Life fandom, the incredible Orange Box, it made Portal a brilliant and inquisition perspective on what seemed to be ingrained in the Half-Life universe.

Portal 2 is superbly inventive and brilliant in game design though, more in tune with the scope of a AAA production, and the writing is marvellously cheeky and funny. It has a strong, sensible narrative arc utilising a mute, nobody protagonist to the best of its ability.

It also does some cool interesting stuff with sounds and the OST, mainly the droids vocalising in the same key and to the beat of the background music, that's hugely reminiscent of Nintendo's work.

Misha

Banned
I like the elegant simplicity and haunting mystery of Portal that is lost in its predecessor, particularly in the final confrontation with Glados and her cryptic speak of the outside of the world. At the height of Half-Life fandom, the incredible Orange Box, it made Portal a brilliant and inquisition perspective on what seemed to be ingrained in the Half-Life universe.

Portal 2 is superbly inventive and brilliant in game design though, more in tune with the scope of a AAA production, and the writing is marvellously cheeky and funny. It has a strong, sensible narrative arc utilising a mute, nobody protagonist to the best of its ability.

It also does some cool interesting stuff with sounds and the OST, mainly the droids vocalising in the same key and to the beat of the background music, that's hugely reminiscent of Nintendo's work.
*successor
(Portal doesn't have a predecessor)

I enjoyed portal 2 more but I definitely think portal 1 is a better game. Would like more games on the level of both of them

Also both are some of the few games where I feel the PLAYER has a meaningful relationship with the npcs

Bought some Silk vanilla almond milk. It's really good, but I think I still prefer regular milk.

--

I haven't played either one of the Portal games. I really want to at some point, though.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I gotta give another try to Almond Milk. Maybe vanilla will help it be good but I didnt like the first time I tried it.

Jobbs

Banned
Woke up to the news that we died in Don't Starve

this game is a butthole!

I mean at least we had a revive but that's our last lifeline

Jobbs

Banned
I think Willow has become one of my favorite characters because the fucking lighter is a nice crutch and constantly saves my gf

Misha

Banned
Anyone watch Mostly Walking? It's a twitch show where Sean "day9" plott (former Starcraft commentator, current twitch streamer and game designer) along with his friends bill graner (a game designer) and Sean Bouchard (does some sort of work at usc for games design) play through point and click adventure games and comment on design decisions and stuff.

I'd love to be able to do that with friends but mine don't really think that way. Just consume stuff for enjoyment and never consider why they do or don't enjoy it. I really consider enjoyment or lack of enjoyment to be important for critiques of games but i like it to be followed by an investigation into what made them feel that way and how it could be done better or how it could be replicated

AcridMeat

Banned
Smashing Pumpkins - U.S.A. is so damn good. What a jam.
Anyone watch Mostly Walking? It's a twitch show where Sean "day9" plott (former Starcraft commentator, current twitch streamer and game designer) along with his friends bill graner (a game designer) and Sean Bouchard (does some sort of work at usc for games design) play through point and click adventure games and comment on design decisions and stuff.

I'd love to be able to do that with friends but mine don't really think that way. Just consume stuff for enjoyment and never consider why they do or don't enjoy it. I really consider enjoyment or lack of enjoyment to be important for critiques of games but i like it to be followed by an investigation into what made them feel that way and how it could be done better or how it could be replicated
I've never watched that (Twitch isn't really my jam), but I've seen enough Day 9 over the years that what you describe certainly sounds great.

And yes I do wish I had more friends around me I could talk deeply about games with. I think that's the case for a lot of people who come to gaf haha.

I wouldn't discount people who do just play games for surface level enjoyment though. There's a lot of different factors that go into how we consume media. It is much more boring to talk about games in that situation though.

AcridMeat

Banned
Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie are quintessential Pumpkins but Adore holds a special place in my high school heart for reasons I dont fully understand.
I don't know if I ever listened to Adore much.

I got back into Smashing Pumpkins this week when another gaffer shared this guitar review of the new Reverend Descent and his original riff at the beginning reminded me a lot of that era. It's a bit like Collective Soul as well.

I need more baritone 90's rock.

Misha

Banned
I've never watched that (Twitch isn't really my jam), but I've seen enough Day 9 over the years that what you describe certainly sounds great.

And yes I do wish I had more friends around me I could talk deeply about games with. I think that's the case for a lot of people who come to gaf haha.
It's also in day9's YouTube :p
He definitely has a great personality for that type of thing even if I'm more likely to agree with the other two

Gaf tho still isn't a place for that. Discussion is incredibly shallow and polarized. Even when I have seen critiques of certain elements in game design they always seem to be stuck to a simple perspective (usually "is this balanced for competitive play"). It's nice to see the occasional thread praising sound design or reloading animations
I wouldn't discount people who do just play games for surface level enjoyment though. There's a lot of different factors that go into how we consume media. It is much more boring to talk about games in that situation though.
I mean that's how I play games but I'm saying that just accepting that and moving on is boring. There's a reason borderlands 2 is really satisfying to me despite having s lot of game designs that are typically considered tedious or bad. I'm very curious which elements make that enjoyable to me and how that understanding could be used to make even better games

We could do it as a FakeGAF thing, that might be quite fun

Just like FakeGAF D&D!

AcridMeat

Banned
It's also in day9's YouTube :p
He definitely has a great personality for that type of thing even if I'm more likely to agree with the other two

Gaf tho still isn't a place for that. Discussion is incredibly shallow and polarized. Even when I have seen critiques of certain elements in game design they always seem to be stuck to a simple perspective (usually "is this balanced for competitive play"). It's nice to see the occasional thread praising sound design or reloading animations
I may check it out. I like his Spellslingers Magic series a lot.

And I didn't say you can find it on gaf, just that people come here searching for it haha. There's too many anonymous people reading at once, and no matter how well constructed a post may seem it can and will always be misconstrued or torn down with shallow responses from someone. The interest also may not be hugely there given the topic, so it's on you to make threads if you want to discuss certain things. :p

Misha

Banned
We could do it as a FakeGAF thing, that might be quite fun

Just like FakeGAF D&D!
I would probably be able to make both happen if I wasn't so uncomfortable about my voice. I also need to move out so I don't have to worry about family.

It would have to be less people per session than D&D tho. More than 4 would probably be too much. Maybe the way to do it would be to have different combinations of people each game
I may check it out. I like his Spellslingers Magic series a lot.

And I didn't say you can find it on gaf, just that people come here searching for it haha. There's too many anonymous people reading at once, and no matter how well constructed a post may seem it can and will always be misconstrued or torn down with shallow responses from someone. The interest also may not be hugely there given the topic, so it's on you to make threads if you want to discuss certain things. :p
Yeah. Also I definitely don't expect that any thread that could be made would result in useful responses. Too much effort to likely to be let down

Also I editing my last post after you responded apparently

I would probably be able to make both happen if I wasn't so uncomfortable about my voice. I also need to move out so I don't have to worry about family.

It would have to be less people per session than D&D tho. More than 4 would probably be too much. Maybe the way to do it would be to have different combinations of people each game

That's fair. I'm sure your voice is cute, but I understand c: And yeah, doing stuff like that with family around can be awkward, don't blame you for that.

Oh no yeah definitely, it was just a joke about how we keep suggesting these things and they never materialise, haha

Misha

Banned
That's fair. I'm sure your voice is cute, but I understand c: And yeah, doing stuff like that with family around can be awkward, don't blame you for that.

Oh no yeah definitely, it was just a joke about how we keep suggesting these things and they never materialise, haha
The big issue with my voice is that it's inconsistent. Some days it sounds pretty good other days it pretty much hurts. I might try to get a voice coach before the end of the year but I'm not sure yet
Oh and I really hate the idea of my voice ruining the way people perceive me. I know people would say that's not the case but it happens subconsciously and I'd rather people see me the way I see myself

Yeah I know. The thing for D&D is no one wants to organize it and be the dm. I'd probably be the most willing but I have the other issues I mentioned

The big issue with my voice is that it's inconsistent. Some days it sounds pretty good other days it pretty much hurts. I might try to get a voice coach before the end of the year but I'm not sure yet

Yeah I know. The thing for D&D is no one wants to organize it and be the dm. I'd probably be the most willing but I have the other issues I mentioned

That sounds like a good idea, I'm all for people doing stuff to make them more comfortable with themselves =) Would it be expensive?

Tbf I think then plan was for Feng to do it, but he's so busy it just never happened. Maybe when his life cools down a bit

EDIT:
Oh and I really hate the idea of my voice ruining the way people perceive me. I know people would say that's not the case but it happens subconsciously and I'd rather people see me the way I see myself

Ah, I think I understand what you mean. I won't pry since I don't know how much you want to talk about this stuff in public.

Misha

Banned
That sounds like a good idea, I'm all for people doing stuff to make them more comfortable with themselves =) Would it be expensive?

Tbf I think then plan was for Feng to do it, but he's so busy it just never happened. Maybe when his life cools down a bit
No idea. I imagine it's less likely to be covered under insurance. I know it's available online through Skype and stuff too but I think in person would be nicer

I might actually be talking about a different attempt at making a D&D group since I think the channel was there in discord before the one I'm thinking of happened

No idea. I imagine it's less likely to be covered under insurance. I know it's available online through Skype and stuff too but I think in person would be nicer

I might actually be talking about a different attempt at making a D&D group since I think the channel was there in discord before the one I'm thinking of happened

Yeah, I think in person would probably be more useful. Over Skype seems like it could be quite awkward, and people don't necessarily always sound exactly the same. Well, whatever you decide, I hope it goes well c:

Lol, it's possible. Pretty sure it's been suggested a good 10 - 20 times now haha

EDIT: Ok so I'm chatting to a cute guy on Grindr who lives in London and seems cool

I might be going to watch Apologies, I Have None in London on Wednesday

...do I tell him? Am I ready for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom