• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I had the most chilling dream experience last night. I was asleep, and I sorta felt as though I was awake, and I could feel my gf draped over my back saying something into my ear. She seemed to be asking for help or something. It felt completely real like she was right there on top of me.

So I was like "time to get up, then" and I couldn't, so I strained and strained until I actually did wake up. It was 2am and she wasn't there at all.

It's not rational, because at that point I should have realized it was all a dream, but I got up and looked for her. I found her on the front porch and she was fine.

Not rational, maybe even a little superstitious (because the dream her was so vivid, I wondered if real her was in trouble, I guess?). Whatever.

This stuff ever happen to anyone else?

Oh cool my nieces are coming over today :D They haven't been over in a while

Imagine how much their visits will decrease as soon as they're teenagers.

Negative-man-6684_preview.png

I only ever really visited my grandparents regularly when I was a kid. I still did until around 15-16. Then I just started seeing them during holidays. That was mainly for my own benefit because I began to realize my maternal grandparents had some really shitty political views, and I'd rather not deal with that.

Jobbs

Banned
I only ever really visited my grandparents regularly when I was a kid. I still did until around 15-16. Then I just started seeing them during holidays. That was mainly for my own benefit because I began to realize my maternal grandparents had some really shitty political views, and I'd rather not deal with that.

We have smartphones. We frequently talk and text. In fact, pretty much the only way to get me to answer an actual call (like "talking out loud") is to be one of my nieces or maybe my gf

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just finished The Last of Us and Left Behind. Easily one of my personal top5 games ever and scarily close to top3 🙌💫💯. And wow at that turn in LB.

Jobbs

Banned
Still favorite geometric shape ♥

FKeeXJp.png

anyway my nieces just got here :DDDDDDDDDDDD

gonna go to the playground and wreck shit

I've played TLoU multiple times and have enjoyed every playthrough as much as the first.

I don't even finish 99% of the games I play because they end up boring me before finishing. So going by the metric of games that I not only enjoyed playing once but actively enjoy playing multiple times, TLoU is certainly one of my top games.

I've never played Earthbound but I can safely say it must be pretty bad if Nintendo won't even drag it through the dirt like almost every other franchise they have.

AcridMeat

Banned
GAF has always been all over Naughty Dog's [redacted]

I never understood it either, but won't take away that they can produce some extremely nice looking games.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tomb Raider 2 is still one of the finest games of the franchise and it still plays surprisingly well. Too bad half of the games of the franchise are liquid feces.

As for sauna guy, a man needs a link.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I've never played Earthbound but I can safely say it must be pretty bad if Nintendo won't even drag it through the dirt like almost every other franchise they have.

Itoi retains a lot of rights to the IP. He's a pretty big name in Japan as well, Nintendo likely don't want to piss him off

the Earthbound/Mother franchise faced many problems but being bad was never one of them.

Tomb Raider 2 is still one of the finest games of the franchise and it still plays surprisingly well. Too bad half of the games of the franchise are liquid feces.

link for what? the sauna?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Oh, I need to clean up our sauna (wipe dust and clean the stones in the stove). Thanks for the heads up.

I have all the Tomb Raiders on Steam except Angel of Darkness. Maybe I should give TR 2 a whirl since I can't play anything too new or graphical at the moment.

the Earthbound/Mother franchise faced many problems but being bad was never one of them.

See, you say this, but they've never been described in a way that sounds interesting to me, and the couple hours or so I've watched on YouTube were terribly dull. So my question is if these are not bad games, how come I don't enjoy them? Isn't a game only good when literally everyone in the world loves them? That's what people decrying TLoU seem to think.

I appreciate the design but I never played anything with tank controls when I was younger, so it's basically impossible for me to play now. Also I really like the new Tomb Raider series.

What is going on here. More fucking TLOU hyperbole and the Mother games aren't god tier, the fuck?

Honestly Mother 3 was probably the only one I really enjoyed. Earthbound was kinda boring when it wasn't frustrating, and I haven't played the first one. EB isn't bad, but I would never say it's anything about average.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm weird in that I think UC4 is an absolute snooze and I hated literally everything about it game-wise (I admired the art/graphics) and yet I loved TLOU. TLOU has truly exceptional characterization and pacing that is almost unrivaled in video games (which is sad because as a movie it'd just be solid rather than best ever).

FloatOn

The thing about earthbound is that it came at a time when final fantasy was king of jrpg and it totally just did its own thing.

Sure, mechanically it was essentially dragon quest but what it did with the characters and story was extremely charming. Basically in a league of their own. Few other games have the balls to satire American life the way earthbound did.

I really wish other turn based rpgs had the guts to be so creative.

Xiao Hu

To be honest, Earthbound looks incredibly dull and boring to me. I would rather play FF VI or Secret of Mana or Terranigma or Secret of Evermore and anything else on the SNES than that series ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
GAF has always been all over Naughty Dog's [redacted]

I never understood it either, but won't take away that they can produce some extremely nice looking games.
Don't get me wrong, I piss on the Uncharted franchise for sport. TLoU is a most glorious fluke as far as I'm concerned.

link for what? the sauna?
The sauna guy story. Unless I'm imagining things and that's not something you previously discussed.

See, you say this, but they've never been described in a way that sounds interesting to me, and the couple hours or so I've watched on YouTube were terribly dull. So my question is if these are not bad games, how come I don't enjoy them? Isn't a game only good when literally everyone in the world loves them? That's what people decrying TLoU seem to think.

I appreciate the design but I never played anything with tank controls when I was younger, so it's basically impossible for me to play now. Also I really like the new Tomb Raider series.
if you're really interested in finding out what people love about Earthbound I recommend this video. also shows some of the history and thus explains why it may not get the franchise-attention it should (at least in the western world)

and I'm not sure I understand where you're getting at but I don't like TLoU yet everyone else seems to do so....therefore it's not a good game just because people like it. at least imo. I have certain standards/expectations every videogame has to fulfill, regardless of popularity. of course they are subjective but if we narrow everything down to that every discussion becomes a big "bleh" in the end, doesn't it? ;P

Don't get me wrong, I piss on the Uncharted franchise for sport. TLoU is a most glorious fluke as far as I'm concerned.

The sauna guy story. Unless I'm imagining things and that's not something you previously discussed.

oh wow that was long ago. not sure if I could find it tbh.

sorry I just thought it became my trademark or something. long story short: crazy dude that took his pants off to show me his seashell tattoo and wanted to invite me to the sauna on our second official date (after I asked him to slow things down a bit)

Merciless.

Which Final Fantasies do you like? I already know u hate IV and stan V.

It took years (and playing through Crisis Core) but I came around on FF7, even though the game itself is basically held together with duct tape. FF8 was my very first FF game, so it'll always have a spot in my memories even though it's not that great. FF9 is the GOAT. FF10 had a nice battle system, but a boring everything else. Haven't played any of them past that, unless you want to count spinoffs.

EDIT: I also played FFX-2, but I think it might actually be TOO silly lol. That battle system though, :whew:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I never said TLOU was bad. Itbis a competent ecperience, but it just isn't this amazing revolutionary experience. It was like a greatest hits compilation of zombie media.

It just doesn't deserve the accolades it gets.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
TLoU shits over everything.

Even HL2.
Not that difficult, tbh.

HL2 was a couple of tiers below OG HL and narrative wise is still anchored in a time and age when graphics and animations couldn't keep up with Valve's aims. That's not to say it's a bad game or anything, mind you.

Fluvian

Banned
I'm weird in that I think UC4 is an absolute snooze and I hated literally everything about it game-wise (I admired the art/graphics) and yet I loved TLOU. TLOU has truly exceptional characterization and pacing that is almost unrivaled in video games (which is sad because as a movie it'd just be solid rather than best ever).

I fucking agree with you to death, U4 was so god damn boring, it even lacked the charm and compelling narrative of the first three, the writing was predictable and the pacing was horribly slow

FFX was my first exposure to the series, but I agree. The battle system is pretty fun and I really like the setting and OST. The characters overall leave a lot to be desired and the plot is trash.

Also, I can't stop myself from laughing at Yuna falling on her face in that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom