• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
lol I was thinking working at the pet store by my house.

honestly I think sometimes the only reason I'm hanging on to this job is because of the benefits and stuff like tuition reimbursement....

Do you enjoy your quality of life? Are you willing to sacrifice benefits and disposable income for less stress?

Chuckie

Ride from the airport to the hotel was certainly something. Motorbikes / scooters in bali don't care about nothing. Like, a ruler length from the car most of the time weaving in and out beside and in front of us constantly.

Now imagine Jakarta where it is even 10 times worse. Then imagine being on the back of that bike. The bike I was on sometimes came so close I actually had to put my hand on the car and push to prevent my body hitting the car.
It was also weird pas hell to go full speed over huge fly overs in the middle of the city thinking....why the hell are we even allowed to drive here.

FloatOn

Do you enjoy your quality of life? Are you willing to sacrifice benefits and disposable income for less stress?

that's the debate I'm having with myself.

it also just occurred to me that there is a middle school by my house. I can totally be a teacher. I have a few teacher friends so maybe I'll ask them how I can get my foot in the door.

having the summer off sounds nice.

it also just occurred to me that there is a middle school by my house. I can totally be a teacher. I have a few teacher friends so maybe I'll ask them how I can get my foot in the door.

Teacher

Low stress

...lol

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Teaching is not really low stress. A lot of grading, preparing material for different classes, give homework, rate homework, deal with the kids or teenagers, meetings with parents, meetings with staff and lord knows what else.

Not to mention you'll be spending that "summer off" coming up with lesson plans for the next school year.
And this. Also teachers leave after the students and return before the students to get their shit ready before classes start. Its not really that simple.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Teacher

Low stress
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's a low paying, high stress, EXTREMELY demanding job. You take your work home with you and, provided you work in a public school, don't get treated with much respect from your peers or superiors. You have to really love kids or want to make a difference to do it. Otherwise it'd be hell.

jb1234

Yeah, if it's one thing I learned about teaching, all the unpaid work and prep you have to do means that you have to REALLY love doing it. I never did so I shifted into performance and was able to get away with it because everyone needed a pianist.

FloatOn

my teacher friends seem to be okay with it.

I'm honestly just burnt out in the business world. I need a change.

and this is starting to feel like a quarter life crisis.

Vazra

my teacher friends seem to be okay with it.

I'm honestly just burnt out in the business world. I need a change.

and this is starting to feel like a quarter life crisis.

Look more on the things you are putting your eye on and read online more of the things you would be having to do because sometimes seem easier than they actually might be. See if you can see yourself into that work and enjoying it for years or not because its not worth it just for a quick change that then you may regret. Also I think talking about it with us and your friends should help you see things clearly so I think in a way talking with us about it kinda works in your favor since we may give you feedback on it and open your eyes on some things you may haven't noticed about such works that you may be interested in that may break the interest in actually doing it.

As for the quarter life crisis stuff if you want you can chat with me on Steam and tell me everything that is going on and maybe just vent about it or talk shit to see if it helps a bit since sometimes talking things over it eases some of the stress away.

Most of my high school teachers were great and I really liked them.

But my fucking biology/chemistry/physics teacher was the fucking worst. Like barely any structure to the lessons. I felt like I learned less than nothing in those classes. And the motherfucker had been teaching for ages. Fuck you. I still passed exams with flying colors but that's because I was essentially teaching myself as was everyone else in those classes. He wasn't good at explaining, he rarely gave out homework (which you know is structured study and actually pretty beneficial.) Not surprisingly sciences are a very weak area for me.

Vazra

Sadly I cant really talk well about most of my teachers. Most of them were repeating the same thing I was doing in elementary school with a fancy coat of paint plus the history classes were white washed and removing the violence until maybe the last year of high school.

Last night I had a nightmare that I was a teacher. My brother in law was missing so they needed someone to fill in for him, and I had no idea what I was doing. It was awful!

Xiao Hu

Last night I had a nightmare that I was a teacher. My brother in law was missing so they needed someone to fill in for him, and I had no idea what I was doing. It was awful!

Simply bring in the TV and let the kids watch some 'educational' stuff while you mind your own business

Clydefrog

I remember in 4th grade we did this thing where the whole class sat in a fake outrigger voyaging canoe (think Water World) in an open field. We were supposed to simulate the ancient Polynesians crossing the ocean.

I was voted captain of the canoe by my classmates and put in charge. I appointed my first mate: this girl I had a crush on.

No one could leave the canoe all day. We (me + hot mate) had to plan activities, chart our course, assign responsibilities, keep order, etc. I remember I ended up yelling at so many kids because they wouldn't listen. It was fun but it was then that I quickly learned how hard the teacher has it. Haha the end

FloatOn

I think my main issue is that everyone here expects me to do everything.

I have so much role ambiguity and no clear direction from anyone. I'm not expecting to be spoonfed my daily tasks but some indication on what should take priority would be really fucking lovely.

There is basically no structure to my day and it drives me nuts. It would be great to have a job where clearly defined expectations are laid out you know?

Jobbs

Banned
Most my teachers were forgettable but I was in love with my algebra 2 teacher. Probably was my imagination but I kinda felt like she liked me too...

Simply bring in the TV and let the kids watch some 'educational' stuff while you mind your own business
Yeah. Except having a dream is the last place you would ever think rationally about something like that

Most my teachers were forgettable but I was in love with my algebra 2 teacher. Probably was my imagination but I kinda felt like she liked me too...
I've gotten that impression a few times but in retrospect I'm hoping it was just me being dumb and young.

Sadly I cant really talk well about most of my teachers. Most of them were repeating the same thing I was doing in elementary school with a fancy coat of paint plus the history classes were white washed and removing the violence until maybe the last year of high school.

To be fair, I know of a few people from my high school (not in my year) who graduated and could barely read.

And most of my history classes were definitely whitewashed to hell and back. Almost all of them were strictly focused on American history too. Sophomore year I had world history and that covered the French Revolution and barely touched on the World Wars. History education is the biggest joke in America.

Vazra

I think my main issue is that everyone here expects me to do everything.

I have so much role ambiguity and no clear direction from anyone. I'm not expecting to be spoonfed my daily tasks but some indication on what should take priority would be really fucking lovely.

There is basically no structure to my day and it drives me nuts. It would be great to have a job where clearly defined expectations are laid out you know?

Well you know the responsibilities of your work and you shouldn't take more than you can chew cause sometimes to be nice you do things that are not on your responsibilities just for the sake of keeping people happy and you end up being the one getting affected by all that stuff and people will keep piling up work towards you if they can see that opportunity. You need to set your limits instead of living up to everyone's expectations and to live to the expectations of those that you gotta meet instead of everyone.

No idea if Im making sense cause Im sleepy but sometimes you just gotta know your own limits instead of letting people put more on you than they should.

Misha

Banned
To be fair, I know of a few people from my high school (not in my year) who graduated and could barely read.

And most of my history classes were definitely whitewashed to hell and back. Almost all of them were strictly focused on American history too. Sophomore year I had world history and that covered the French Revolution and barely touched on the World Wars. History education is the biggest joke in America.
The saddest thing is despite covering American history the tone that they teach about native Americans is awful.

My class covered up through the Korean War tho. Helps that we had it across 3 years.
8th grade: world history. Mesopotamia through renaissance
10th grade early American history. Vikings through reconstruction
11th modern history: Napoleon through Korean War

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah. Except having a dream is the last place you would ever think rationally about something like that

I've gotten that impression a few times but in retrospect I'm hoping it was just me being dumb and young.

Stranger things have happened. One would hope that teachers would conduct themselves professionally, though.

When you're 16 it's easy to misinterpret things but, fact-wise, she talked to me one on one a fair amount even when she didn't have to. An instance of her sitting cross legged on my desk is seared into my memory.

We had a student teacher in phys ed once and oh my god he was fucking gorgeous.

Pretty sure the Algebra 2 teacher was the only one I found highly attractive during HS. I don't know if it helped or hurt. I wanted to please her, but at the same time fucking up was sorta positively reinforced as well because it meant she talked to me. :D

FloatOn

Well you know the responsibilities of your work and you shouldn't take more than you can chew cause sometimes to be nice you do things that are not on your responsibilities just for the sake of keeping people happy and you end up being the one getting affected by all that stuff and people will keep piling up work towards you if they can see that opportunity. You need to set your limits instead of living up to everyone's expectations and to live to the expectations of those that you gotta meet instead of everyone.

No idea if Im making sense cause Im sleepy but sometimes you just gotta know your own limits instead of letting people put more on you than they should.

yeah I hear you. I'm pretty non-confrontational by nature so it's difficult.

also there is a fine line of you sticking to what is clearly laid out in your job description and seeming like you don't have initiative :/

Vazra

also there is a fine line of you sticking to what is clearly laid out in your job description and seeming like you don't have initiative :/

To me it seems more like striking a balance with those things. When you can do those things go for it but if you can't don't do more than what you're supposed to do then stick to your guns.

Misha

Banned

Delegating can be taking the initiative if you do it right. If you give people some tasks to do and check up on them to make sure they're getting it done it can make you look like the go getter trying to push the pace. Essentially do to them what they are doing to you

Pretty sure the Algebra 2 teacher was the only one I found highly attractive during HS. I don't know if it helped or hurt. I wanted to please her, but at the same time fucking up was sorta positively reinforced as well because it meant she talked to me. :D

The student phys ed teacher helped me adjust my tennis racket once. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also the new Phoenix Wright is out today don't forget to give Capcom your coins

I don't have a 3DS, so I can't.

FloatOn

and here I am looking at my degree audit. thinking about all the time and effort it took to get my 3.77 gpa and wondering what the fuck it is all for....

somebody tell me it's worth it

Fluvian

Banned
Stranger things have happened. One would hope that teachers would conduct themselves professionally, though.

When you're 16 it's easy to misinterpret things but, fact-wise, she talked to me one on one a fair amount even when she didn't have to. An instance of her sitting cross legged on my desk is seared into my memory.

I found it impossible to find teachers attractive at school, Christy Mack could have been my science teacher and I still probably wouldn't have felt anything for her.
I'm not even remotely attracted to authority figures, thinking about them sexually creeps me out for some reason.

Vazra

and here I am looking at my degree audit. thinking about all the time and effort it took to get my 3.77 gpa and wondering what the fuck it is all for....

GPA matters depending the line of work you are going for I suppose. Also I believe I've heard after you have some work experience not many people care about the GPA but Im not too sure really. I may have to research a bit more on that to be sure.

Fluvian

Banned

If I say nothing will there be a R.I.P Gaffer thread tomorrow?

NinjaBoiX

If the scale of the electromagnetic spectrum was quantified as the width of America, the amount that we can see as visible light would be approximate to the width of a human hair.

Fluvian

Banned
that's pretty dark man

anyway sorry for the freak out today was a bit shit.

That was pretty dark, sorry I know that fucking feeling of having done a course or a degree and at the end wondering if it was worth it, the answer is usually yes if you know what to do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom