• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toe to tip
that's a Bart

I legit had to google this haha

My biggest complaint is actually worf. I don't hate him but I'm not really interested in Klingon episodes and after he shows up, jadzia barely gets her own episodes anymore (which were few and far between to begin with). It would have been nice if she got more of a chance to move on from curzon instead of all her episodes after they were done establishing what a trill is be about her doing things curzon likes in a slightly different way.

Yeah I agree with this.

It's funny in TNG, I loved Worf because he's such a raw foil to the Enterprise crew but in DS9 he just comes off as bland. A lot of the great Klingon arcs from TNG (I'm not sure how much you've watched, if you've just jumped into DS9 and TNG so I won't mention specifics) are thrown for "Klingons gonna Klingon" episodes.
And yeah, Jadzia is such a wasted opportunity sometimes where she has the most potential to be a character for the writers to experiment with. (Multiple past lives etc_)
Which sucks, because at her highs is SUCH a great character.

For a while I thought they were gonna stray away from always referencing Curzon, especially because of the friendship between her and Sisko establishing that "I'm totally not Curzon, I hope that WE can be friends" but it just kept coming back to that old motherfucker. haha

Oh my god this is amazing

I've accidentally started a Twitter argument with John McTernan hahahahaha

If you are going to eat up, at least eat it all. I'm not a fan of leaving anything to waste.

Aw, you missed what I was referencing

yeah so I guess the whole being shitty thing goes both ways.
Yeah because people always go on about how guys can look better and how important their appearance is and get judged on whether they're hot every single day right?

Oh hang on

I legit had to google this haha
Watch Monster Factory it is AMAZING

FloatOn

Yeah because people always go on about how guys can look better and how important their appearance is and get judged on whether they're hot every single day right?

Oh hang on

I'll agree that guys are more vocal about it and probably do it more. But in the specific incident I brought up this was a female doing essentially the same thing to a male.

In case you are unfamiliar, let me give you the short version. Jonah Hill goes on a French news show and the pretty weather girl starts flirting with him saying how she would like to meet him at a hotel room and have his friends Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio show up and then have him leave.

So in a roundabout way she was saying that since he is overweight Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are preferable. While it may not be as bad, there is pressure on guys to look a certain way as well. Let's not pretend that being shallow and judgmental is exclusive to the male gender ok?

Fluvian

Banned
f8AkQAt.png

Only fourth, I have truly shamed myself, I will beat Vazra on v10

Misha

Banned
Yeah I agree with this.

It's funny in TNG, I loved Worf because he's such a raw foil to the Enterprise crew but in DS9 he just comes off as bland. A lot of the great Klingon arcs from TNG (I'm not sure how much you've watched, if you've just jumped into DS9 and TNG so I won't mention specifics) are thrown for "Klingons gonna Klingon" episodes.
And yeah, Jadzia is such a wasted opportunity sometimes where she has the most potential to be a character for the writers to experiment with. (Multiple past lives etc_)
Which sucks, because at her highs is SUCH a great character.

For a while I thought they were gonna stray away from always referencing Curzon, especially because of the friendship between her and Sisko establishing that "I'm totally not Curzon, I hope that WE can be friends" but it just kept coming back to that old motherfucker. haha
I watched a lot of TNG but I've jumped around a lot in both shows and have mostly avoided Klingon episodes till it was the only way to get more jadzia episodes.
Honestly tho I didn't care for worf in TNG a ton either. Not sure I could really like a pure Klingon (k'ehlyr seemed like a real character when it wasn't "lol Klingon side") just cause of how shallow they have to be. I'd imagine it's the same with vulcans and romulons but those two series don't have any that stick around long so I couldn't say. Cardassians might be my favorite species just cause while they do have traits specific to themselves, they feel like unique characters with unique values and personalities. I'm kinda worried about discovery going back to klingons and romulons and vulcans etc cause of the time period.

It's funny that the trill place a huge importance on new experiences and stuff but she just ends up being curzon pt 2. They kind of get away with it in the context of the show but that's because curzon wasn't a character.
I've only seen a couple episodes with ezri in it but it's neat that she's a psychologist. Probably won't get a chance to do much since her role is more passive and they're getting into arc heavy territory but it's a nice departure. I don't know if they thought the same but having her dislike bloodline was a nice touch to try to distance her from jadzia and curzon

I'll agree that guys are more vocal about it and probably do it more. But in the specific incident I brought up this was a female doing essentially the same thing to a male.

In case you are unfamiliar, let me give you the short version. Jonah Hill goes on a French news show and the pretty weather girl starts flirting with him saying how she would like to meet him at a hotel room and have his friends Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio show up and then have him leave.

So in a roundabout way she was saying that since he is overweight Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio are preferable. While it may not be as bad, there is pressure on guys to look a certain way as well. Let's not pretend that being shallow and judgmental is exclusive to the male gender ok?
Just a heads up

What you're doing is basically the same as saying all lives matter in response to BLM. Taking what is a systemic problem which is specifically way worse for a subset of people and then trying to go "well it happens both ways"

Yes, sometimes men get comments on their appearance. No, that's not fair either. But to try to equivocate the amount of abuse men for how they look get vs the amount of women get is disingenuous and unhelpful.

Do any of the women in the thread want to take over? Obviously you'll have a much more informed perspective on this than I will, so you're better placed for it

EDIT: I don't like how that last bit comes across, it's a bit too like I'm being courteous for the ladies or whatever, but I can't think of a better way of saying what I'm trying to say? I just don't want to take centre stage on this since I'm a guy and I don't want to fall into that thing of talking for women when they're perfectly capable of doing so themselves. Yeah. I'll shut up now.

Misha

Banned

While you have a point, it's not exactly the same thing. People are rude to people like Jonah hill because those people are shallow. People are rude to women not just because they're being shallow, but also because they're doing it to a woman. Doubly so for women of color. The thing with gabby Douglas might superficially seem similar to what Jonah dealt with but the nuance to it is quite different

FloatOn

Just a heads up

What you're doing is basically the same as saying all lives matter in response to BLM. Taking what is a systemic problem which is specifically way worse for a subset of people and then trying to go "well it happens both ways"

Yes, sometimes men get comments on their appearance. No, that's not fair either. But to try to equivocate the amount of abuse men for how they look get vs the amount of women get is disingenuous and unhelpful.

Do any of the women in the thread want to take over? Obviously you'll have a much more informed perspective on this than I will, so you're better placed for it

Reread my first sentence.

I would never say that it's equal, not even close. I recognize that the mistreatment of women is far worse than the mistreatment of men in most situations. And as Misha points out it's even worse for women of color.

I just think it's a bit unfair to say that men are the only ones that do this kind of thing.

Misha

Banned
Reread my first sentence.

I would never say that it's equal, not even close. I recognize that the mistreatment of women is far worse than the mistreatment of men in most situations. And as Misha points out it's even worse for women of color.

I just think it's a bit unfair to say that men are the only ones that do this kind of thing.
Just like it's unfair to say that only black lives matter but no one actually says that, it's just assumed by white people who aren't used to being called out on their shit.

And there could be a whole nother discussion on how women are judged for being opinionated, "bossy", "bratty" etc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well, I made it 13 days without a drink. New record, at least.

Well, I made it 13 days without a drink. New record, at least.
Hey, that's ok. You broke your previous record, you now know you can go 13 days without a drink and next time you'll do even better. This isn't a failure, it's just the start. The only thing you can do is keep trying. It'll be hard, but you can do it, I believe in you =)

Misha

Banned
What make up thing?
Jobbs posted this makeup vid where there were bunch of crappy comments from people who think she should take their advice on how to look. A few people here commented on that saying that guys judge women too much and stuff.
Jonah hill's thing where that French lady made fun of him came up(I guess in response? I didn't connect them in my head at the time cause I didn't see them as related) and floaton said "see its not just men that are mean", comparing it to the complaints people here were making about the YouTube comments on the makeup vid
then rnh and I critiqued his point.

Misha

Banned
not even close
I hope you recognize the irony in that response
I'm re-watching it for the first time since its original broadcast on Netflix. Just at the end of Season 2 and its finally started getting into the political stuff that I remember loving from the end of its run over 'random wacky planet hijinks' of the other Star Trek series.
I like eposodic style stuff more generally but it was generally fairly weak on ds9 and didn't make as much sense on a static space station as it did on a spaceship that's traveling throughout the galaxy

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Personal training on four hours of sleep woo
I've run six miles on 1 1/2 hours of sleep before a full day of work before. It's literal hell. I can't even imagine someone telling you what to do at the same time, so... good luck, and you have my sympathies

Also thank you so much Rob and Fluv, your support means a lot. I'm not exactly a raging alcoholic but I still do want to cut back/quit. One step at a time, I guess.

Also thank you so much Rob and Fluv, your support means a lot. I'm not exactly a raging alcoholic but I still do want to cut back/quit. One step at a time, I guess.

<3

I will always support any attempts someone wants to make that they think will improve themselves as a person c:

okay so I guess denying the allegation that I was mansplaining is also mansplaining. that's cool.
Pro-tip: It tends to be a good idea to listen to women when it comes to women's issues. They normally have a touch more experience with them.

Misha

Banned
okay so I guess denying the allegation that I was mansplaining is also mansplaining. that's cool.
Men telling women what mansplaining is or isn't is the very definition of mansplaining. It's an experience that men do not have and are therefore less equipped to speak on yet often decide to correct a woman on what fits that term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom