• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonetheless I still want Jackson to do more movies in the LotR universe. We have enough material so why not use it?

The Tolkien estate probably won't let that happen. Tolkien's son apparently hated the LotR adaptations.

I thought he managed to make boring books entertaining which is no small feat.

Jobbs

Banned
The Tolkien estate probably won't let that happen. Tolkien's son apparently hated the LotR adaptations.

my review

fortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfort

fortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnight
fortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnight fortnight fortnightfortnightfortnight
fortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnight

fortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnightfortnight

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

This is true. They wanted to make a series based on the Silmarillion but Tolkein's people were all "fuck you!"

jb1234

Yeah, I consider Jackson's real feat with the LotR films is making movies that vastly transcended their source material.

(He'd disagree, of course but man, those books are a slog.)

Xiao Hu

Now that sucks...I would be glad about anything that keeps the universe alive in any form. For example, I actually liked Shadows of Mordor. It was fun to play and explore and I hope WB allows Monolith to be more experimental with the next one.

Typing this I realize how much I miss a good epic fantasy movie with unrealistically huge battles. But hey, let's have another boring superhero flick!

I dislike everything to do with the LotR series

Going by the books absolutely.

I'm not even averse to high fantasy and I realize LotR seems so cliche because it literally started the cliches, but it's just all dry and meandering and not worth my time.

I prefer "grim dark" fantasy like Joe Abercrombie, GRRM, Mark Lawrence, et al. Fantasy where politics are at the fore and magic is kept in the background or doesn't really exist at all. Although, GRRM's getting pretty close to going full magic when The Winds of Winter releases in 2030.

Xiao Hu

Eeeeeh, LotR isn't that magic heavy. Actually it's rather good at shrouding it in mystery. Very few people can use it which makes it more interesting.

I doubt anyone who has seen it will forget the lawn mower scene.

Or the sex scene

Or the scene where he takes the baby to the park

Man that's such a great film

Going by the books absolutely.

I'm not even averse to high fantasy and I realize LotR seems so cliche because it literally started the cliches, but it's just all dry and meandering and not worth my time.

I prefer "grim dark" fantasy like Joe Abercrombie, GRRM, Mark Lawrence, et al. Fantasy where politics are at the fore and magic is kept in the background or doesn't really exist at all. Although, GRRM's getting pretty close to going full magic when The Winds of Winter releases in 2030.
I would include the films

I just don't care about any of it

Fluvian

Banned
I've been a U2 fan my whole life and I've only just now tried to listen to Zooropa. It's not terrible it's just not hitting the heights their 80's albums hit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
tumblr_o3mnckAdMc1s7elebo1_1280.jpg

*faps furiously*

Ceallach

I've been a U2 fan my whole life and I've only just now tried to listen to Zooropa. It's not terrible it's just not hitting the heights their 80's albums hit.

U2 are one of the greatest bands of all time, but the era between Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind is very meh.

Misha

Banned
They softened her a lot during Nana Visitor's pregnancy but especially by mid-season 5, the character gets her fire back and it's pretty great. Have you seen "The Darkness and the Light" yet?

That makes a lot of sense
No I haven't. After checking it seems I'm actually towards the end of season 4. Like 3 episodes left

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sauron was a legit Final Fantasy villain before he became a big scary suit of armor, and then a giant flaming eye.

latest
bea964c691d24204cc97933c387de4c2.jpg
eea788389c8b60e17d854ac681c392b7.jpg

jb1234

That makes a lot of sense
No I haven't. After checking it seems I'm actually towards the end of season 4. Like 3 episodes left

Ah, okay! Then yeah, you have some good Kira material coming up. Another thing that hurt her was Worf. Especially in the fourth season, they hadn't figured out entirely how to integrate him into the ensemble so duties that she would normally handle were often give to him.

Pau

I love Lord of the Rings. Tolkien is more interested in his make up language and its world than in storytelling. And he's more of a linguist than a stylist. And it all shows. But despite that I think there are some genuine moments when his writing is beautiful and Lord of the Rings works well as a fantastical meditation on war. Frodo, Gollum, and Sam are great characters. (Even if the first two are not exactly likable.)

I also wrote an illustrated essay analyzing it with Campbell's Hero Cycle and it was really fun.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My mother taught Tolkien/LotR classes at a university level and my brother is currently taking several, so I've heard a lot of scholarly debate about it recently. I also now know much more about Tolkien than I ever asked to.

Ceallach

My mother taught Tolkien/LotR classes at a university level and my brother is currently taking several, so I've heard a lot of scholarly debate about it recently. I also now know much more about Tolkien than I ever asked to.

What a tremendous waste of resources

Misha

Banned
Ah, okay! Then yeah, you have some good Kira material coming up. Another thing that hurt her was Worf. Especially in the fourth season, they hadn't figured out entirely how to integrate him into the ensemble so duties that she would normally handle were often give to him.

That made me think "what other tng characters could they have brought over instead of worf?" the only one I could think of that wouldn't be boring or redundant would be data so I tried to imagine how he'd work on ds9. I'm not sure that would go so well. Quark would constantly be trying to take advantage of his naivety

jb1234

That made me think "what other tng characters could they have brought over instead of worf?" the only one I could think of that wouldn't be boring or redundant would be data so I tried to imagine how he'd work on ds9. I'm not sure that would go so well. Quark would constantly be trying to take advantage of his naivety

Data's a great character but I can't see him on DS9. It's a show that basically thrives on conflict, both external and internal and an emotionless android doesn't seem like a good fit.

(I guess they could have turned his emotion chip on but the movies don't really give me a great deal of hope that concept would be handled well...)

Misha

Banned
Data's a great character but I can't see him on DS9. It's a show that basically thrives on conflict, both external and internal and an emotionless android doesn't seem like a good fit.

(I guess they could have turned his emotion chip on but the movies don't really give me a great deal of hope that concept would be handled well...)

It would be like the O'Brien's wedding episode except every single episode

FloatOn

It's not particularly productive but it can be quite entertaining and enriching. One of my favorite college courses I took was a study in Shakespeare.

But also I'm a college dropout who works at daddy's company, so I'm not really the poster child for academic success.

Do you ever intend to go back and finish?

Only reserved for sexy people tho. Aragorn can get it.

giphy.gif

Do you ever intend to go back and finish?
There would be almost no point for me to. I already have enough connections and experience to get work at a lot of different places, not to mention my passion is creative work and I don't need an overpriced education to teach me how to art better.

I think it's dangerous to put a blanket yes or no on college but in my case I already got everything out of it that I needed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom