• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
really makes u think

(about what a horrible political satirist the author is)
giphy.gif

jb1234

Arrived in Pasco thirty minutes ago. A car accident on the freeway made a three and a half hour drive balloon to almost five. I am so tired.

I remember I got banned because I quoted someone and saying "that's random but I'd bang her too" about zuckerburgs sister , to be fair I didn't start to :p

Eh

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've put about an hour and a half into No Man's Sky and it's exactly, to the point, what I expected from sensibly digesting all the pre-launch media and previews.

On one hand I don't feel it's a very good game, at least for my taste. It's very repetitive, follows a shallow gameplay cycle, and is definitely too big for its own booths. On the other hand I really admire the technology within and the general ambience and mood it conveys, which is something that on this 3D scale hasn't been done before.

So I'm left in this weird middleground. I think there's a lot of potential in the technology and concept that today is partially hindered by Hello Games being a tiny team, and partially technology itself. I'm not sure how feasible an even more complex, game system rich No Man's Sky under the same huge galaxy+ size template would be with today's CPU and RAM bottlenecks. There's definitely a place for a game that's No Man's Sky with even deeper, richer game systems, maybe in the future. I also like a lot of the concepts put into the game as-is; the language stuff is super neat, mining is fine, faux-RPG inventory and gear, etc. But it's still all follow the same relatively shallow gameplay loop.

It just never really presents itself as anything other than this though. Like it's 100% built on how invested you, the player, will subjectively be in this galaxy spanning resource acquisition adventure. The adventure is just you. And either the smoke and mirrors and game systems don't work and you don't care and it's all a crock of Molyneux shit. Or you're caught up in the scope and travel and legitimately (if potentially superficial) endlessness of everything and find peace and wonder with that. Or maybe you fall somewhere in between.

And I think me having quelled huge expectations, that's what the game is for me; an in between. I know I'm going to get bored, just like I get bored with Minecraft and Destiny, because I don't really like these gameplay systems very much. I don't like the feedback loop of resource gathering and upgrading. But at the same time I'm fascinated by the technology and its implementation, mainly for the fact it exists right now and there's potential for it to grow in the future. I can fly between planets and moons in real time and land on the surface and it's all fucking huge with gorgeous vistas and even though it's nothingness and pointless I still love the fact this can be done and I haven't done it before.

I'm basically a tourist in a technology demo I really like, and a game I don't. And I'm kinda okay with that.

Pau

Watching a Disney Channel Original movie with Kark and Susi.

If I ever get banned it'll probably be because of OT side. Way more need to attack people here than over games. So many awful ideas and beliefs and attitudes in OT
I feel like I have a better idea about where the line is in OT.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
High as a kite in painkillers at work. This is great. Still not allowed to bend over. My squat game is tight.

AcridMeat

Banned
I love The Cure. I love Robert Smith. It's a dark, humid, cold kind of love, not unlike the one a dying junkie would profess to a bent needle found in the street.

That and Depeche Mode.
You and me both Papa. What about Gary Numan? His first album is fucking amazing.
I've put about an hour and a half into No Man's Sky and it's exactly, to the point, what I expected from sensibly digesting all the pre-launch media and previews.

On one hand I don't feel it's a very good game, at least for my taste. It's very repetitive, follows a shallow gameplay cycle, and is definitely too big for its own booths. On the other hand I really admire the technology within and the general ambience and mood it conveys, which is something that on this 3D scale hasn't been done before.

So I'm left in this weird middleground. I think there's a lot of potential in the technology and concept that today is partially hindered by Hello Games being a tiny team, and partially technology itself. I'm not sure how feasible an even more complex, game system rich No Man's Sky under the same huge galaxy+ size template would be with today's CPU and RAM bottlenecks. There's definitely a place for a game that's No Man's Sky with even deeper, richer game systems, maybe in the future. I also like a lot of the concepts put into the game as-is; the language stuff is super neat, mining is fine, faux-RPG inventory and gear, etc. But it's still all follow the same relatively shallow gameplay loop.

It just never really presents itself as anything other than this though. Like it's 100% built on how invested you, the player, will subjectively be in this galaxy spanning resource acquisition adventure. The adventure is just you. And either the smoke and mirrors and game systems don't work and you don't care and it's all a crock of Molyneux shit. Or you're caught up in the scope and travel and legitimately (if potentially superficial) endlessness of everything and find peace and wonder with that. Or maybe you fall somewhere in between.

And I think me having quelled huge expectations, that's what the game is for me; an in between. I know I'm going to get bored, just like I get bored with Minecraft and Destiny, because I don't really like these gameplay systems very much. I don't like the feedback loop of resource gathering and upgrading. But at the same time I'm fascinated by the technology and its implementation, mainly for the fact it exists right now and there's potential for it to grow in the future. I can fly between planets and moons in real time and land on the surface and it's all fucking huge with gorgeous vistas and even though it's nothingness and pointless I still love the fact this can be done and I haven't done it before.

I'm basically a tourist in a technology demo I really like, and a game I don't. And I'm kinda okay with that.
Very similar impressions so far.

In my case I've played about 4 hours, thankfully after some settings fuckery I've had no issues on PC. I found a bad ass ship on my second planet, but accidentally accepted it before transferring all of my inventory to the new one, so I effectively made myself have to play the tutorial again on the second planet.

Thankfully that planet was full of animals and language things to discover, along with an outpost with a terminal to sell shit.

I also got a ridiculous cool omni-tool, so I'm feeling quite lucky thus far.

Definitely wish they kept it to say, one solar system and fleshed it out quite more with the races/languages/etc.

It would lend itself to big space battles between warring factions, and just be a lot more exciting in possibilities.

As you said though, I'm still glad they attempted this because it's pretty awe inspiring.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Painting nail is hard, I did my pinky but it didn't look right so I licked it off and nail polish tastes a lot worse than it smells.

gD0m3r7l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom