• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't find gaf's attitude to look down on jobs people need to do to have a life to be healthy. No wonder the blue-collar right fucking hates you, whomever you support in politics (Hillary), and this website to boot. If you're gonna play with fire, you need to expect to get burned.
I, for one, would expect that type of attitude, even if normatively speaking we all feel that way, could pretty much guarantee Donkey Shitheel Show 2016 to end with a guy in the office, and not the cool black one. Consider that for a moment.

Also, I'm fairly sure gaf is not just composed of privileged white people, with all due respect.

Jobbs

Banned
Women are overrepresented in low paying jobs like teaching and they're underrepresented in high paying jobs like STEM fields. It's almost just that simple. When you factor that out the gender wage gap goes down from ~30% to 1–3%. So I'm sick of people who would rather say "it's your job to pay me more" than "we should find ways to encourage more women to enter better paying jobs."

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, and some people just get stuck in shit jobs. But the solution is not to blame some nebulous sexist upper management. There are other actually tangible manifestations of patriarchy at work which need to be attacked instead, and also a lot of self responsibility. Like I didn't care that most of my CS class mates were male. That didn't discourage me from pushing through with programming anyway. We need more people willing to break the mold where they can.

That sounds reasonable. Is it not more difficult in some ways for women to break into some of these tech fields, though?

edit: oh, you already addressed that. okay, I gotcha. I think we're in agreement

Pau

Does anyone else ever fall into the trap of saying to themselves, "welp, I did something today, I was productive now it's RELAXING TIME" despite having 1,000 other things they could do? I'm so fucking lazy and I hate it lol
Me all the time.

Oh I went to class today? That was my productivity for the day!

Well today I went to class, worked on the simulator program for my independent study, and went shopping for my cosplay. I still have so much to do but all I want to do when I get back home is nap.

Maybe tonight I'll get started on making the helmet. NYCC is closer than I thought!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Women are overrepresented in low paying jobs like teaching and they're underrepresented in high paying jobs like STEM fields. It's almost just that simple. When you factor that out the gender wage gap goes down from ~30% to 1–3%. So I'm sick of people who would rather say "it's your job to pay me more" than "we should find ways to encourage more women to enter better paying jobs."

Obviously everyone's circumstances are different, and some people just get stuck in shit jobs. But the solution is not to blame some nebulous sexist upper management. There are other actually tangible manifestations of patriarchy at work which need to be attacked instead, and also a lot of self responsibility. Like I didn't care that most of my CS class mates were male. That didn't discourage me from pushing through with programming anyway. We need more people willing to break the mold where they can.
QFT.

And not just because I'm a woman with a BSEE.

FUME5

I really don't find gaf's attitude to look down on jobs people need to do to have a life to be healthy. No wonder the blue-collar right fucking hates you, whomever you support in politics (Hillary), and this website to boot. If you're gonna play with fire, you need to expect to get burned.
I, for one, would expect that type of attitude, even if normatively speaking we all feel that way, could pretty much guarantee Donkey Shitheel Show 2016 to end with a guy in the office, and not the cool black one. Consider that for a moment.

Also, I'm fairly sure gaf is not just composed of privileged white people, with all due respect.

Uh, what?

Except for 3-4 years directly after I busted my spine at work (due to rehab and legal shit) I've had some sort of job since I was 10. Paper delivery, dishpig, storeman, forklift driver, secretary, events set-up, brickie, labourer, exploration geologist offsider, pizza delivery driver, waiter, bar, room service, live audio engineer (so briefly) and environmental consultant. I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few.

But uh, you go right ahead with those sweeping generalisations.

My computer will probably assplode.

Bummer, actually, I'd better check my GTX 970 is up to the task.

What are your thought on people reviewing games without finishing them?

Depends on the game.

It's a gaming website. Of course the average poster is going to look down on people who don't have anything to do with their precious video games.

Jobbs

Banned
I really want to hear this story.

(Unless you can't tell it, of course.)

Brief version: Timeline, pressure, review burn didn't work, boss was already in rotten mood and I was afraid to tell him, so I researched the game and hacked it together

Were you the football manager guy?

I wrote for IGNPSX and IGNDC around the year 2000

It was a pretty average Dreamcast game wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure I owned it too.

You may be thinking of another game -- one that I *hated* and lambasted, but my boss liked it and wanted me to like it more so I rewrote it...

I was brimming over with integrity, clearly :)

You may be thinking of another game -- one that I *hated* and lambasted, but my boss liked it and wanted me to like it more so I rewrote it...

I was brimming over with integrity, clearly :)

I remember this one too.

It's fine. Not like IGN (or gaming "journalism") ever had integrity anyway.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
theonlyproblemisthatitstoogood.jpg

I've offered some bullshit reviews in game jams before. Not that you really expect an in depth experience from a game jam anyway, but sometimes I would barely boot the game before offering my star rating and written impression. It's been a couple years since I participated in one though because I grew to dislike the experience so much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No

I never do anything

Me all the time.

Oh I went to class today? That was my productivity for the day!

Well today I went to class, worked on the simulator program for my independent study, and went shopping for my cosplay. I still have so much to do but all I want to do when I get back home is nap.

Maybe tonight I'll get started on making the helmet. NYCC is closer than I thought!
Thank you for making me feel better about my subpar life performance.

Everyone who said no... don't you have things you should be doing? ;)

Jobbs

Banned
Haha. Did anyone ever find out?

Oh god no.

I remember this one too.

It's fine. Not like IGN (or gaming "journalism") ever had integrity anyway.

I can't speak to whatever IGN does now -- I'm sure a lot of things were different back then. It was another era.

I've offered some bullshit reviews in game jams before. Not that you really expect an in depth experience from a game jam anyway, but sometimes I would barely boot the game before offering my star rating and written impression. It's been a couple years since I participated in one though because I grew to dislike the experience so much.

I did a gamejam once and I didn't like it. I beat myself up to produce something that I in the end wasn't proud of. Too frustrating/tiring.

jb1234

Even though I played through it sixteen years ago, I'm still very tempted to drive to Gamestop and pick up a copy of Dragon Quest VII. Dragon Quest is like comfort food to me. You know what you're going to get and it's amazing.

I really need to buy a 3DS already.

I started DQVII on PS1 but I got to a point where I needed to grind and I just couldn't be bothered. Granted, DQVIII has tons of moments when you pretty much have no choice but to grind (hello Dhoulmagus the first time you fight him in the Dark Ruins) but I didn't find it annoying for some reason.

jb1234

I really need to buy a 3DS already.

I started DQVII on PS1 but I got to a point where I needed to grind and I just couldn't be bothered. Granted, DQVIII has tons of moments when you pretty much have no choice but to grind (hello Dhoulmagus the first time you fight him in the Dark Ruins) but I didn't find it annoying for some reason.

Dhoulmagus was bullshit. I got stuck on him about ten levels below where I needed to be, haha. Never beat the game because of that.

I did a gamejam once and I didn't like it. I beat myself up to produce something that I in the end wasn't proud of. Too frustrating/tiring.

I've been proud of five of six of the dozen entries I've made, and four of those were really well received. But the exhaustion from working so hard and then feeling obligated to due diligence with respect to other entrants is quite the burden and ultimately not for me. I think jams are better for pure hobbyists, aka people who can afford to get burned out like that.

Everyone who said no... don't you have things you should be doing? ;)

yeah I need to go shake a tower now that you mention it

Dhoulmagus was bullshit. I got stuck on him about ten levels below where I needed to be, haha. Never beat the game because of that.

And he has TWO forms.

The only upside is if you defeat his first form and get to the second and die, you can come back and face his second form right from the start.

Symphonia

Banned
I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of this phenomenon.

Kind of sucks being on the other end of a neogaf circle jerk.
And all because I don't tip. I'm sorry that I choose to hold on to my money rather than pay more for my meal than what the menu stated. I'm sorry that I refuse to pay your checks, a job that your manager should be doing. I'm sorry that you hate yourself for ending up in a job you hate with no prospects.

Oh.

Wait.

I'm not.

FloatOn

And all because I don't tip. I'm sorry that I choose to hold on to my money rather than pay more for my meal than what the menu stated. I'm sorry that I refuse to pay your checks, a job that your manager should be doing. I'm sorry that you hate yourself for ending up in a job you hate with no prospects.

Oh.

Wait.

I'm not.

I don't agree with you btw. I usually tip 18% because I can afford to.

I'm just offering you empathy about getting ganged up on/misunderstood.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are your thought on people reviewing games without finishing them?

Absolutely fine depending on what constitutes as "without finishing" and the author applies transparency to how much of the game they experienced. I'm firmly with Stirling in his belief that he can tell how much he enjoys a game after a good stretch of play, and that stretch is just as a valid as any other. Narrative heavy games should be "finished" in my opinion unless they're fundamentally broken or truly awful (in which case not finishing should be made a point), but nobody needs to complete everything in a game to write a review.

Because really, a pre-release/release review serves a purpose of articulating an authors opinion on whether or not a game is worth buying. It's a measurement of purchasable quality, and an opinion on that can be formed without having to "finish the game".

Reviews as full assessments of a game's thematic and structural nuances, its place and quality as a work of creative expression, are few and far between unfortunately. They're the most interesting (and fun to write), and do require that you "finish the game" to fully understand it, but they also basically require no holds barred on spoilers so everything about the game can be discussed. They're more retrospectives, after the game has been experienced in its entirety and reflect on.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Absolutely fine depending on what constitutes as "without finishing" and the author applies transparency to how much of the game they experienced. I'm firmly with Stirling in his belief that he can tell how much he enjoys a game after a good stretch of play, and that stretch is just as a valid as any other. Narrative heavy games should be "finished" in my opinion unless they're fundamentally broken or truly awful (in which case not finishing should be made a point), but nobody needs to complete everything in a game to write a review.

Because really, a pre-release/release review serves a purpose of articulating an authors opinion on whether or not a game is worth buying. It's a measurement of purchasable quality, and an opinion on that can be formed without having to "finish the game".

Reviews as full assessments of a game's thematic and structural nuances, its place and quality as a work of creative expression, are few and far between unfortunately. They're the most interesting (and fun to write), and do require that you "finish the game" to fully understand it, but they also basically require no holds barred on spoilers so everything about the game can be discussed. They're more retrospectives, after the game has been experienced in its entirety and reflect on.
I feel it depends on the games. Also some are understandable because there are deadlines and some games do drag a lot of hours to finish and there is perhaps not enough time to finish it or there is no desire to finish it if its a bad game. If action games are not fun within the first hours I dont get why you should push yourself to keep going at it.

In a random note: Fuck FF13.

giphy.gif

I don't believe you.

Oh.

Wait.

I'm not.
Wait are you in the states? Lmao

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I've had twelve hours sleep and I could still go for a nap.

Morning has been pretty cruisy. Afternoon is filled with clients. Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom