• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I find comments like that quite eye roll inducing, but as long as he isn't telling people not to take their children to doctors and simply ~pray the illness away~ I don't have much of a problem with it.
Yeah, that wasn't the main thing, just the first thing that came up when trawling his Twitter feed

Maybe I'm misremembering though

Ah well

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Beyond the Black Rainbow

The cinematography and visuals for this movie are so fucking good.

12017434_10152972281742038_6182941572546786861_o.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished Stranger Things. Liked it as a whole, but don't really understand the crazy popularity it's gained. Really enjoyed most of everything with the kids, they were definitely the strongest element. Teen drama stuff was shit. Leaned far, far too heavily on existing tropes and concepts that at times felt ripped straight out of other media only done worse with no individual flair. Really feel the experience as a whole would be better if it tried to be more original. But it was fun. Fun enough to watch the next season.

FloatOn

Rad! Let me know if you like anything, I'll be able to find other stuff you might like from it

I have to work late today so once everyone clears out of the office I'm going to blast some stuff. I'm trying to remember some of the bands that you go on about. Pup, the ergs annnnnd who else? give me like 3 more bands to try.

Finished Stranger Things. Liked it as a whole, but don't really understand the crazy popularity it's gained. Really enjoyed most of everything with the kids, they were definitely the strongest element. Teen drama stuff was shit. Leaned far, far too heavily on existing tropes and concepts that at times felt ripped straight out of other media only done worse with no individual flair. Really feel the experience as a whole would be better if it tried to be more original. But it was fun. Fun enough to watch the next season.

To me Winona Ryder was the weakest part but even she pulled through in the end. I think you are suffering from the post hype blues a bit here. This has happened to me before where it is like I'll be late on experiencing something everyone raves about and I'm kind of like "that's it?"

I think psychologically when we hear a ton of praise for something we set unrealistic expectations on those things. I watched Stranger Things within the first couple of weeks of it coming out and the high praise hadn't sabotaged me yet.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I am certain that I went through minor food poisoning yesterday. I was feeling much better in the morning, but now it is clawing back.

I have to work late today so once everyone clears out of the office I'm going to blast some stuff. I'm trying to remember some of the bands that you go on about. Pup, the ergs annnnnd who else? give me like 3 more bands to try.

To me Winona Ryder was the weakest part but even she pulled through in the end. I think you are suffering from the post hype blues a bit here. This has happened to me before where it is like I'll be late on experiencing something everyone raves about and I'm kind of like "that's it?"

I think psychologically when we hear a ton of praise for something we set unrealistic expectations on those things. I watched Stranger Things within the first couple of weeks of it coming out and the high praise hadn't sabotaged me yet.
Jawbreaker!!

EatChildren

That's a fair point, but I disagree and I think you're making an over assumption of where my issues lie. I don't really care about the hype. I didn't expect it to be the bees knees otherwise I would have watched it early, but chose to watch it based on recommendations from friends along with interest in the premise, and upon reflection note where the acclaim and popularity lies and how I feel relative to it. I feel the same way about Marvel films, most of the modern incantations I don't even think are all that great dumb cinema.

My issues with Stranger Things lie fundamentally with the chosen direction and themes and I wouldn't feel any different if I'd just stumbled up on it as opposed to recommended. I thought teen drama was pure shit most of the time and I could have fast forwarded through most of it and lost nothing. Conceptually the show loses a lot of unique identity by basically being a one dimensional homage to "cool 80s stuff" while in the same breath carbon copying Silent Hill with a dash of Alien. I really like the premise and the kid cast was fucking great, but I didn't find the Upside Down intriguing because it had very little unique vision or stamp from the directors or writers that hadn't been done far, far better elsewhere. And I mean, I'd feel this regardless of hype or recommendation or stumble upon or whatever else. I can only process what I experience and maybe I'm faulted in my attention span but if I feel like the stimuli isn't teasing me with interest and mystery of something new I tend to tune out and feel automatic disinterest. Stranger Things had that folly; I enjoyed the experience as a whole, but definitely felt myself tuning out on and off in many of the episodes because I stopped caring about what was happening on screen. Same thing with the Marvel films; it's less about the hype, less about the budget and huge marketing arm and everybody-talks-about-it, and more that I literally don't give a single shit about anything happen on the screen so I tune out and think about doing other things.

And it's not a statement about how much anybody else enjoyed it or whatever, I just don't like dismissing my exploration of feelings towards something as a result of irrelevant marketing/popularity surrounding that something.

EDIT: Just saw the trailer for Passengers and that's another example. It'll probably do big money and has big actors and big special effects and might be a fine fun movie but nothing about the trailer jumps out to me as interesting or stimulating and I have zero desire to see it. A whatever science fiction film where the big stars go through big explosions and kiss and love and drama and it'll probably end with one of them being put back into stasis while the other sacrifices themselves or some dumb shit.

FloatOn

That's a fair point, but I disagree and I think you're making an over assumption of where my issues lie. I don't really care about the hype. I didn't expect it to be the bees knees otherwise I would have watched it early, but chose to watch it based on recommendations from friends along with interest in the premise, and upon reflection note where the acclaim and popularity lies and how I feel relative to it. I feel the same way about Marvel films, most of the modern incantations I don't even think are all that great dumb cinema.

My issues with Stranger Things lie fundamentally with the chosen direction and themes and I wouldn't feel any different if I'd just stumbled up on it as opposed to recommended. I thought teen drama was pure shit most of the time and I could have fast forwarded through most of it and lost nothing. Conceptually the show loses a lot of unique identity by basically being a one dimensional homage to "cool 80s stuff" while in the same breath carbon copying Silent Hill with a dash of Alien. I really like the premise and the kid cast was fucking great, but I didn't find the Upside Down intriguing because it had very little unique vision or stamp from the directors or writers that hadn't been done far, far better elsewhere. And I mean, I'd feel this regardless of hype or recommendation or stumble upon or whatever else. I can only process what I experience and maybe I'm faulted in my attention span but if I feel like the stimuli isn't teasing me with interest and mystery of something new I tend to tune out and feel automatic disinterest. Stranger Things had that folly; I enjoyed the experience as a whole, but definitely felt myself tuning out on and off in many of the episodes because I stopped caring about what was happening on screen. Same thing with the Marvel films; it's less about the hype, less about the budget and huge marketing arm and everybody-talks-about-it, and more that I literally don't give a single shit about anything happen on the screen so I tune out and think about doing other things.

And it's not a statement about how much anybody else enjoyed it or whatever, I just don't like dismissing my exploration of feelings towards something as a result of irrelevant marketing/popularity surrounding that something.

EDIT: Just saw the trailer for Passengers and that's another example. It'll probably do big money and has big actors and big special effects and might be a fine fun movie but nothing about the trailer jumps out to me as interesting or stimulating and I have zero desire to see it. A whatever science fiction film where the big stars go through big explosions and kiss and love and drama and it'll probably end with one of them being put back into stasis while the other sacrifices themselves or some dumb shit.

well it's good that you are able to maintain objectivity. that's a really respectable quality.

are there any films or shows that pay homage that you do like? what about those were done better than what was done in Stranger Things?

basically what I'm trying to determine is if you just don't like things that follow in the footsteps of other things or if it's an actual issue with Stranger Things.

EDIT - and yeah Passengers isn't doing anything for me either. I am looking forward to Arrival however. Denis Villeneuve is so good and he gives me hope for Blade Runner 2.

EatChildren

well it's good that you are able to maintain objectivity. that's a really respectable quality.

are there any films or shows that pay homage that you do like? what about those were done better than what was done in Stranger Things?

basically what I'm trying to determine is if you just don't like things that follow in the footsteps of other things or if it's an actual issue with Stranger Things.

EDIT - and yeah Passengers isn't doing anything for me either. I am looking forward to Arrival however. Denis Villeneuve is so good and he gives me hope for Blade Runner 2.

I'd have to really sit and think about it. I'm honestly not too hot on "paying homage" as a core facet of the way something is constructed, which I think is what rubbed me the wrong way about Stranger Things. I don't mind the setting or the general ambient homage to media and themes of the 80s, but I feel when a work of fiction does this it also needs to forge its own identity. At times Stranger Things (like with the teen drama) didn't to me seem to be doing anything interesting with the homages it was references, and instead running through a checklist of cliches. And not just a wink and nod, but in the case of the teen drama literally constructing an entire story arc that runs the same story beats that have been done a thousand times over.

I think that's why I like the kids so much. It was an obvious homage to stuff like ET, but straddled its own original plot to forge its own characters and dynamics.

Maybe I just don't like homages when they're too excessive? A friend who feels the same way as me described Stranger Things as a bit too much "Hey, remember the 80s?", and I think that highlights how I feel. When something is excessively self indulgent in the idea of what it wants to be instead of simply being within its inspirational source material and doing its own thing well inside that I lose traction and interest in what's being shown to me.

I think Tarantino is an excellent example of somewhat who authors work with very explicit homages to and influences from existing materiel, styles, and themes, but is able to execute them with an unique vision that allows the work to take on their own form. Mad Max Fury Road often is a homage to older road movies, but also its own unique vision.

EDIT: I'm also looking forward to Arrival. It could go either way, but my plan is to go in blind because the premise intrigues me enough and yeah, Villeneuve is fucking incredible. If it weren't for Fury Road, Sicario would be my top pick for 2015.

FloatOn

I'd have to really sit and think about it. I'm honestly not too hot on "paying homage" as a core facet of the way something is constructed, which I think is what rubbed me the wrong way about Stranger Things. I don't mind the setting or the general ambient homage to media and themes of the 80s, but I feel when a work of fiction does this it also needs to forge its own identity. At times Stranger Things (like with the teen drama) didn't to me seem to be doing anything interesting with the homages it was references, and instead running through a checklist of cliches. And not just a wink and nod, but in the case of the teen drama literally constructing an entire story arc that runs the same story beats that have been done a thousand times over.

I think that's why I like the kids so much. It was an obvious homage to stuff like ET, but straddled its own original plot to forge its own characters and dynamics.

Maybe I just don't like homages when they're too excessive? A friend who feels the same way as me described Stranger Things as a bit too much "Hey, remember the 80s?", and I think that highlights how I feel. When something is excessively self indulgent in the idea of what it wants to be instead of simply being within its inspirational source material and doing its own thing well inside that I lose traction and interest in what's being shown to me.

I think Tarantino is an excellent example of somewhat who authors work with very explicit homages to and influences from existing materiel, styles, and themes, but is able to execute them with an unique vision that allows the work to take on their own form. Mad Max Fury Road often is a homage to older road movies, but also its own unique vision.

EDIT: I'm also looking forward to Arrival. It could go either way, but my plan is to go in blind because the premise intrigues me enough and yeah, Villeneuve is fucking incredible. If it weren't for Fury Road, Sicario would be my top pick for 2015.

how did you feel about Donnie Darko?

Uhh...Creeper, Martha, Latterman, first 3 I can think of

Jawbreaker!!

While I approve, they're not exactly modern

However they're amazing so I'll uphold the recommendation

FloatOn

My actual gym goal.

Too bad I don't seem to have the build for it (largely because I'm a bit shorter).

yeah once I get this tube out of my abdomen I'm going to hit the gym pretty hard.

all I can manage now is some light cardio before I start feeling like shit. because of this I've basically lost all the muscle mass I had before I got sick and I'm now somewhere between lanky and dad bod. it sucks :(

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm starting to believe all hollywood men are raging and aggressive alcoholics. first Depp now Pitt...

I'm not sure why do you assume he's a violent asshole. From all we know he had a super chill approach to parenting while she's been turning more conservative over the years.

I'm not sure why do you assume he's a violent asshole. From all we know he had a super chill approach to parenting while she's been turning more conservative over the years.

that's no reason to not want physical visitation breh. I think it's cute how all the guys just paint her as crazy but with a file like this you might want to think something more serious has come up.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
From all accounts Angie is a fucking nightmare to be around. All of their staff say shebisnprone to fits of rage and berates them and shit.

Maybe she was like that with the kids.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
that's no reason to not want physical visitation breh. I think it's cute how all the guys just paint her as crazy but with a file like this you might want to think something more serious has come up.

I dunno, sis. But Jolie has an actual history of being very far out there from time to time, while Brad has a reputation for being a jock. Not that I care about celebrities nor I'd ever defend anyone from Hollywood, being the sinkhole of deviancy that it is. Half of my movie heroes have turned out to be pedos, alcoholics and/or rapists.

From all accounts Angie is a fucking nightmare to be around. All of their staff say shebisnprone to fits of rage and berates them and shit.

Maybe she was like that with the kids.
if so then Pitt would more likely be the one to sue her over limited visitation and shit and not the other way around?

I dunno, sis. But Jolie has an actual history of being very far out there from time to time, while Brad has a reputation for being a jock. Not that I care about celebrities nor I'd ever defend anyone from Hollywood, being the sinkhole of deviancy that it is.
well I'm not saying he is violent or alcoholic but I think it could be very well considered regarding the circumstances imo. everyone thought Depp was chill and stuff too. but bottom line is we don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom