• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dad jeans, tho.

ttBmROf.gif

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just watched Dredd with the girlfriend.

She didn't like it.

As a matter of fact, she fell asleep around 30 minutes in.

Time to dump her.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Dredd is one of the best action movies of all time tied up in a nice tight little bow.
I swear. Sound design alone is magnificent. Every step is like a thunder, the creaking of the leather bark being ripped apart from a tree.

I didn't get waxed for this.

Fluvian

Banned
I swear. Sound design alone is magnificent. Every step is like a thunder, the creaking of the leather bark being ripped apart from a three.

I didn't get waxed for this.

That movie is so good even my mother who usually refuses to watch anything that isn't feel good family movie crap loves it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Got a new 4K HDR TV that is amazing.

Fixed my PC.

Have a potential job opportunity that I am pursuing tomorrow.

It is the weekend.

Life is good (right now).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Here's the thing with martial arts films: the fights are so recurrent, long and acrobatic they demand some substantial suspension of disbelief, specially when they try to be "serious". The Raid is no exception.

I liked the fights and the effort made by the whole team, but at the end of the day it feels like wrasslin with a better plot. The Raid is a great example of a decent film that can't escape the trappings of its genre.

Controversial, I know.

Misha

Banned
Here's the thing with martial arts films: the fights are so recurrent, long and acrobatic they demand some substantial suspension of disbelief, specially when they try to be "serious". The Raid is no exception.

I liked the fights and the effort made by the whole team, but at the end of the day it feels like wrasslin with a better plot. The Raid is a great example of a decent film that can escape the trappings of its genre.

Controversial, I know.

what about Banlieue 13? its like halfway between dredd and a martial arts film. the entire film has a super flimsy plot that's just there as an excuse for parkour fighting (and like half the moves in the movie were repeated in every movie and show after since parkour got popular)

there no way people walking around a cyberpunk apartment superstructure for two hours could be boring. I refuse to believe it
it's not bad but if you saw the Raid first (like I did) you'll notice how much of a Hollywood-y rehash it is. wasn't exciting to me at all.

I liked the fights and the effort made by the whole team, but at the end of the day it feels like wrasslin with a better plot. The Raid is a great example of a decent film that can't escape the trappings of its genre.

Controversial, I know.
but the exciting fights are what make me like martial arts in the first place. and with something like Raid the stuff they did is simply impressive. they all actually can fight and it shows, shit is real. I find action blockbusters with endless explosions much harder to believe.
Dredd is essentially The Raid but without the excellent fight choreography so to me there was not much to it in comparison.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
what about Banlieue 13? its like halfway between dredd and a martial arts film. the entire film has a super flimsy plot that's just there as an excuse for parkour fighting (and like half the moves in the movie were repeated in every movie and show after since parkour got popular)
I really disliked that film. Like, actively.

Then again, there's something about French action films that rubs me the wrong way. Could be the Gallic humour.

Exception: Doberman (which I love, even if it's Tryhard Edgelord: The Movie).

it's not bad but if you saw the Raid first (like I did) you'll notice how much of a Hollywood-y rehash it is. wasn't exciting to me at all.
Only that Dredd entered production before The Raid, and both of them owe their shit to Carpenter's Assault on Precint 13.

MutFox

Banned
Almost done my 12th straight day of work...
I'm so tired, though gotta go to a party soon, then leave early for a game-o-thon with my bro...
Then another party tomorrow...

At least Sunday should be chill...
Gonna make some pulled pork.

Misha

Banned
there definitely isn't much of a plot and its definitely fairly formulaic but its pretty!

Then again, there's something about French action films that rubs me the wrong way. Could be the Gallic humour.

it got a lot better when I ignored the subtitles. i mean it was just setpiece to setpiece of watch david belle do crazy stuff that's going to be standard in 2 years because everyone hires him as a consultant

Only that Dredd entered production before The Raid, and both of them owe their shit to Carpenter's Assault on Precint 13.

it still came out after tho. and exactly during the times of Raid's huge success. even during production scripts and scenes can be changed. I definitely had the feeling they geared more towards that thing that was popular at the time. anyhow, I still think Raid was the more original movie even if I don't think Dredd was bad.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
it still came out after tho. and exactly during the times of Raid's huge success. even during production scripts and scenes can be changed. I definitely had the feeling they geared more towards that thing that was popular at the time. anyhow, I still think Raid was the more original movie even if I don't think Dredd was bad.
Dredd was already conceptualised well before The Raid and 2000AD fans were familiar with Garland's script for a very long time. No film copied the other and both of them were inspired by Assault on Precint 13.

And Dredd wasn't even a proper Hollywood film; it's a British film with international financing (mostly British and Indian).

It reminds me of the whole mess about Deus Ex and Dark City "copying" The Matrix when in reality they were all taking from the same or similar sources and happened to be released around the same time.

Misha

Banned
goin bowling
Dredd was already conceptualised well before The Raid and 2000AD fans were familiar with Garland's script for a very long time. No film copied the other and both of them were inspired by Assault on Precint 13.

And Dredd wasn't even a proper Hollywood film; it's a British film with international financing (mostly British and Indian).

It reminds me of the whole mess about Deus Ex and Dark City "copying" The Matrix when in reality they were all taking from the same or similar sources and happened to be released around the same time.

its like every single sci fi game having three main factions: the humans, the parasitic race that tries to assimilate everything and then the wildcard race that's technologically advanced but only sometimes an ally of the humans. the parasitic race is usually pushed forward by some earlier species called something like "the founders" or "the predecessors" that try to make a comeback in the sequel

sweater+plaid skirt+leggings+fedora suddenly looks like a good fashion choice

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I would live in a cyberpunk hovel if I had the choice. Should have seen my room when I was a teenager. Tube lights, bubble tubes, neon colors everywhere. I am all about that life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom