• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol I'd love to. just watched a video on native americans reacting to Columbus. I can't believe there's a holiday for this shithead. american holidays are all kinds of messed up really.

I don't want to ruin it for you, but it was the Nazis who declared the first of may and Mother's Day as national holidays in Germany.

Jobbs

Banned
it's not like Germany doesn't have a terrible past (and even present) too. it's just that the horrors still seem to be openly celebrated in the US... like a lot. being a patriot still is the hottest thing. this careless attitude always irritated me.

At least 40 percent of our country will vote for Trump. It's scary. I like my home but it's hard to be a patriot.

How is WW2 taught in schools there? How is the topic handled?

Clydefrog

Ran outta soap this morning in the shower. I found this old loofah coconut soap and it's so sharp against my skin :(

Worth it tho cuz I smell like coconuts all day long now

I don't want to ruin it for you, but it was the Nazis who declared the first of may and Mother's Day as national holidays in Germany.

I'm the first person to say how fucked up Germany is. the situation still seems different...living standards of jews and native americans are not comparable anymore. plus it's not like Mother's day has some fake history agenda. it's mostly consumerism now. completely detached from anything else.

At least 40 percent of our country will vote for Trump. It's scary. I like my home but it's hard to be a patriot.

it's handled almost too much. you'd think it's a good thing but with all the right wing uprisings I'm not sure it has the right effect.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
It surprises me how radically different schools are sound the US. Like Columbus was not treated with any reverence in our schools, and we had a lot of native American studies, but then I hear of school districts that teach outright lies

Jobbs

Banned
Lea you're saying all the right stuff! The native Americans will love you

I'm smoking more. I figure I'm too old and wise to get hooked

Oh yeah lol also the British Empire

What a fucking shitshow

I actually think the proportion of how shitty things were to how much they get glorified is by far the worst over here

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I always start smoking again when I deploy.

But I work on radars, and with highly toxic chemicals all the time so it is one of the least carcinogenic things in my life, lol

Misha

Banned
It surprises me how radically different schools are sound the US. Like Columbus was not treated with any reverence in our schools, and we had a lot of native American studies, but then I hear of school districts that teach outright lies
In ours it was basically just "yeah he came here and basically paved the way for the natives to be killed and or enslaved. Also the Vikings did it first and weren't mean"
We didn't talk about anything he personally did though

Xiao Hu

German education in history is suffocated with everything revolving around the 3rd Reich. In consequence we barely touch upon the revolutionary era of the mid 19th century that was more than crucial for Europe's future.

I survived that "interview" with the talking heads grilling me on my job functions.

Hey, congrats! :)

Ran outta soap this morning in the shower. I found this old loofah coconut soap and it's so sharp against my skin :(

Worth it tho cuz I smell like coconuts all day long now

But coconut doesn't smell good.

There are usually seven to twelve bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in my shower at any given point. I don't think I've ever been in danger of running out.

Seems I qualify for a lot of "junior developer" jobs. Probably should start applying so I can double my income

Seems like the obvious thing to do. Go for it!

I didn't even know Columbus was pretty much Satan until I studied him on my own.

My history education was completely whitewashed.

History is written by the victor. This has always been the case, and probably always will be the case. It even manifests in little moments of rewritten history like "NMS isn't great? I knew it all along!"

But yeah. A lot of what Cristoforo Colombo did was super shitty.

WW2 is taught like nothing else happened. In the later school years they tell you about WW1 as the prolog and the Cold War as the epilog of WW2.
A bit about the Middle Ages and the French Revolution, but that's mostly it.

Lea you're saying all the right stuff! The native Americans will love you

I'm smoking more. I figure I'm too old and wise to get hooked

I wish I had a native american bf just to tell me about all the history. I find it mad interesting.

WW2 is taught like nothing else happened. In the later school years they tell you about WW1 as the prolog and the Cold War as the epilog of WW2.
A bit about the Middle Ages and the French Revolution, but that's mostly it.
we actually started off with the stone age. :D but apart from that this seems about right.

FloatOn

I wish I had a native american bf just to tell me about all the history. I find it mad interesting.

my dad's side of the family is from the southwest and one of my uncles married a native american woman.

I feel bad for being so isolated from the rest of my family but it is what it is.

it would be interesting to reconnect at some point not only for family reasons but also to learn of the culture.

Clydefrog

Jobbs, it's 2016. Don't start smoking cigarettes.

But coconut doesn't smell good.

There are usually seven to twelve bottles of shampoo, conditioner and body wash in my shower at any given point. I don't think I've ever been in danger of running out.

Oh yeah? Smell my arm!

Also, twelve bottles?! What a mess

Y2bDuPH.png

Jobbs, it's 2016. Don't start smoking cigarettes.

Erica's influence tbh

Oh yeah? Smell my arm!

Also, twelve bottles?! What a mess

Usually only eight or nine, but sometimes twelve yeah. I like a lot of different scents and I don't throw away bottles until they're bone dry.

FloatOn

heeeeeeeeeeey

free Moe's is floating around the office. pretty decent!

today didn't turn out to be a total disaster after all.

Misha

Banned
Anyone ever have a "remote" job and if so how does the whole hiring and everything go? I'd imagine it's all via Skype and such and that just seems odd

Timu

Anyone ever have a "remote" job and if so how does the whole hiring and everything go? I'd imagine it's all via Skype and such and that just seems odd
I haven't used Skype in years because it caused issues on my PC for some reason, like I couldn't use others programs as it would lock up so I would have to exit it out Windows. Funny enough this problem didn't happen with my 2008-2011 PC but did with my current 2012-2016 one. My next PC in October shouldn't have this problem.

Also my jobs sucks!!!

EDIT: It wasn't Skype, it was Windows Live Messenger, I got them mixed up like an idiot, lol.

I don't know why my train of thought's gone here, but just out of interest what's the general American perspective on Thatcher? Do you know about the miner's strikes and shit?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I will never understand the point of garden sculptures (gnomes, bunnies, flamingos, angels, etc). They are nuisance at best and nasty obstacles when trimming grass

Jobbs

Banned
Lea is too good a name to not use.

So bored... Dividing my time between working and wasting time is one thing, but if all I can do is waste time it's just hard

Fluvian

Banned
I call everyone by their usernames
(Assuming I call them anything at all)

You're most welcome to call me by my name. The name is Xavier McMojo John Johnstein III, but most people call me McXjojo 3......Fluvian is all i ever need to be to any of you.

Fluvian

Banned
I don't know why my train of thought's gone here, but just out of interest what's the general American perspective on Thatcher? Do you know about the miner's strikes and shit?

I know this already, she was quite liked at least at the time by conservative America, she got in good with Reagan and pandered to them quite well, this is why she's portrayed in a more positive light in the iron lady

Misha

Banned
All I know is she privatized EVERYTHING

Can't say I knew anything about her from school but my one Scottish friend hates her and I'd imagine you feel even worse things about her
I'd assume the average American has no idea who she is
You're most welcome to call me by my name. The name is Xavier McMojo John Johnstein III, but most people call me McXjojo 3......Fluvian is all i ever need to be to any of you.
I'll call you Mojo jojo

Fluvian

Banned
All I know is she privatized EVERYTHING

Can't say I knew anything about her from school but my one Scottish friend hates her and I'd imagine you feel even worse things about her

I'll call you Mojo jojo

I WENT 18 YEARS AND NO ONE THOUGHT OF THAT!! My life is an appalling sham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom