• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake Picture GAF v9 — No Man's Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misha

Banned
Gotcha.

One of the things most important to me is a sense of compressing and expanding. Like you spring before you jump, you gather your steps before a big spin, you lunge to the side and then catch yourself, but these are all movements that are not beat-aligned. They give life to the motions, pep to your step. So that's why the turn-based feeling is putting me off, interpolated or no.

Most good action games give you proper control over timing. Are you going to do the quick attack or the slow attack? Are you going to waltz in or run in? Circle strafe or dodge roll? When everything takes the same amount of time, a lot of the rhythm is lost ironically.

I don't entirely agree that they aren't beat aligned, they're done either in preparation for or in response to something you're going to do on the beat.

Personally I don't find most games to have good rhythm for their moves. Theres way too much commitment in a move since the animation has to initiate at the point you press(or release) the button and theres a lack of animation cancelling for the time when your character is preparing the move.

But theres a reason why I'm calling this prototyping :p

I hardly have anyone here though. I have maybe two friends who actually give a shit. I get to see my family on Monday but my mom is being an absolute bitch about this whole thing and is like "well what did you do wrong" and so I told her to go fuck herself and hung up. I can't get a pet because I'm in the dorms. She was the one thing that made me consisently happy and now she's fucking gone.

She told me that she wants someone like me, but doesn't want me. I don't know what hurts more, that or the actual breakup.

Yo Em, if you need to talk about shit, PM ya boi.

I don't entirely agree that they aren't beat aligned, they're done either in preparation for or in response to something you're going to do on the beat.

Personally I don't find most games to have good rhythm for their moves. Theres way too much commitment in a move since the animation has to initiate at the point you press(or release) the button and theres a lack of animation cancelling for the time when your character is preparing the move.

But theres a reason why I'm calling this prototyping :p

Right...

I guess what I'm getting at is don't compose a music piece that's only quarter notes. If you don't have whole notes, rests, trills and whatnot, it's going to be a pretty mechanical affair.

For example, would the game differentiate between ♩♩♩♩ and ♩♩♪♪♩ or even ♩♩ ♪♩?

Misha

Banned
Right...

I guess what I'm getting at is don't compose a music piece that's only quarter notes. If you don't have whole notes, rests, trills and whatnot, it's going to be a pretty mechanical affair.

For example, would the game differentiate between ♩♩♩♩ and ♩♩♪♪♩ or even ♩♩ ♪♩?

I'm not entirely sure yet. The issue with eighth notes and such is that it might get too fast for the average player. Rests and non rhythmic things that happen between beats are certainly possible though.
I might just end up finding out that its impossible to have a game that's both slow enough to be playable and fast enough to not look weird

And of course an eight note is just a quarter note in a different meter/tempo

How does fakegaf feel about mount kimbie?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd_vcEHlKSk

It sounds procedurally generated. Is that a weird way to describe it?

I'm not entirely sure yet. The issue with eighth notes and such is that it might get too fast for the average player. Rests and non rhythmic things that happen between beats are certainly possible though.
I might just end up finding out that its impossible to have a game that's both slow enough to be playable and fast enough to not look weird

And of course an eight note is just a quarter note in a different meter/tempo

Food for thought! You're in the experimentation mode so there's a lot of room to explore :)

No, straight women ever wanted to deal with me, so I'll take if.

tumblr_nlu06s9kCW1tinfrbo3_1280.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That's interesting. If for nothing else, I'm sure it'll be a good study on what can go wrong.

Pretty much. It's an inoffensive little game, but I'm surprised nobody spoke up during development (or maybe they did and it couldn't be done) and suggested that if stylistically dance and expressive motion was to be integral to animation and overarching themes, and the soundtrack was to adopt classical inspiration, then surely game systems would be instinctively intertwined with said soundtrack. And the soundtrack would have a dynamic approach to accentuate the player's involvement in game systems.

Though I guess, much like jb, having a musical background makes me more attentive to these things, or at least a greater desire and appreciation for music in interactive works.

Misha

Banned
Food for thought! You're in the experimentation mode so there's a lot of room to explore :)

Yeah pretty much all of your concerns ones I have. Its good to be able to go through them all and try to come up with solutions. If this ends up working this could end up being pretty cool

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I greatly appreciate anyone with musical or artistic talent. I think I might have said this before. I probably say it a lot. I really really do though, I think about it all the time, what a gift musicians and artists are. It's such a wonderful thing to be able to create the more beautiful things in life.

Pretty much. It's an inoffensive little game, but I'm surprised nobody spoke up during development (or maybe they did and it couldn't be done) and suggested that if stylistically dance and expressive motion was to be integral to animation and overarching themes, and the soundtrack was to adopt classical inspiration, then surely game systems would be instinctively intertwined with said soundtrack. And the soundtrack would have a dynamic approach to accentuate the player's involvement in game systems.

Though I guess, much like jb, having a musical background makes me more attentive to these things, or at least a greater desire and appreciation for music in interactive works.

How bad is it? Just generic game level of poor sound design, or is it actively trying to do something more and failing?

I don't really pay attention to that loathe as I am to admit it. The only game that comes to mind where they tried to do something interesting with sound is Sound Shapes, which I love.

And that disclaimer is unnecessary! They're clearly trying to make an artistic game, so it deserves to be held to a higher artistic standard. If you make a game about exploring or combat or dancing or whatever, it should at least be good at that part if nothing else.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Had no idea you have a musical background.

Why on earth do you like Gaga then? (I'm just taking the piss.)

I started playing piano when I was...six or seven maybe? So I can read music and understand classical composition fairly well. Dabbled in an assortment of instruments and musical tools since, including a good stint in percussion, namely during my teens in typical garage bands. Never explored professionally. Music is something I'm trying to get back into after letting it drift from the last couple of years. Life drifted in other directions and I lost my mojo. Plus I had no space for my drumkit.

I've let Gaga go. I'm a Poppy man now.

How bad is it? Just generic game level of poor sound design, or is it actively trying to do something more and failing?

I don't really pay attention to that loathe as I am to admit it. The only game that comes to mind where they tried to do something interesting with sound is Sound Shapes, which I love.

And that disclaimer is unnecessary! They're clearly trying to make an artistic game, so it deserves to be held to a higher artistic standard. If you make a game about exploring or combat or dancing or whatever, it should at least be good at that part if nothing else.

It's just generic, in design rather than presentation. In presentation it's incredibly beautiful, abstract, and unique. The soundtrack is gorgeous, dancing too, and the aesthetically abstract and distorted environments are crazy stimulating. There's an interesting, creative story being told, too. And for those reasons I don't think it's bad.

But it's an example, at least for me, where form and function are at odds. In function it's a platformer built on standard game systems that provide little in the ways of unique integration. Jump on platforms. Tip to across thin beams. Rappel down ladders and ropes/strings. That's fine, but it's also all the game has going for it. So instead of dance being interwoven and explored as a game system, "dance" is just an animated function to activate a shield that less you pass through barriers. Beautifully animated motion and dance as you rappel down ribbons looks great, as does the ballet-like motions across thin beams, but it still serves no purpose. And is incredible as the soundtrack is, there's no cohesion with the game's dance motions. Each piece of the puzzle is organic, but the whole isn't.

I feel this was a missed opportunity for the soundtrack to resonate with the player's dance functions, in that the controlled motion and interaction with the world synchronised with the backing soundtrack. And for the interaction of dance to serve a purpose beyond simply being a fancy way to present tired old platforming mechanics.

I'm suddenly thinking about the 'bub! bub!' thing in New Super Mario Bros.

Also, you don't need a musical background per se to appreciate the little "hold" when playing God of War (the first, don't start about the sequels, please) upon leaping into the air before slamming to the ground. That was the first thing I noticed when playing it and I don't have a background in music. Or at the very least not any successful kind. I've always been tempted, but I lack discipline - in all things! - and patience.

Similar with the charging of Hulk moves in Ultimate Destruction, but they have nothing to do with being connected to a soundtrack. Which is a very silly thing to do in a video game anyway, because there is no connection between soundtrack, foley (sound effects), rendering, or even the physics model that would make that directly possible.
If anything, a computer doesn't distinguish between these parts at all, it only distinguished when they are set to occur on a timer. A script, any script, is just a bunch of timers, when seen from the inside.

Though I'll happily admit to making hops in Yoshi's Island along with the soundtrack. Boing! Boing!

edit: there's also stuff like Vic Ribbon, which did try creating such a connection.

EatChildren

Yaaaaaaassss. You're one of the sane ones.

(I type while listening to The Fame Monster.)

(still a fantastic album)

I'm suddenly thinking about the 'bub! bub!' thing in New Super Mario Bros.

Also, you don't need a musical background per se to appreciate the little "hold" when playing God of War (the first, don't start about the sequels, please) upon leaping into the air before slamming to the ground. That was the first thing I noticed when playing it and I don't have a background in music. Or at the very least not any successful kind. I've always been tempted, but I lack discipline - in all things! - and patience.

These are the kind of things I'm talking about, and they go a long way. Folk are so quick to nitpick and tear apart the visuals of a game and what does/does not work, but audio is so often neglected. It's not an easy thing for developers to implement (for reasons you stated), and the extent of cohesion and presentation varies in context (obviously), but time spent on organic cohesion between interactivity, visuals, and audio goes a long, long way.

Most recently DOOM is actually a brilliant example of simple audio resonance with interactivity. Sampled compositions chain together organically, resonating from scripted functions the player has control over. It makes the game's soundtrack feel like it's working with the player instead of just being cool music just kinda there.

I hardly have anyone here though. I have maybe two friends who actually give a shit. I get to see my family on Monday but my mom is being an absolute bitch about this whole thing and is like "well what did you do wrong" and so I told her to go fuck herself and hung up. I can't get a pet because I'm in the dorms. She was the one thing that made me consisently happy and now she's fucking gone.

She told me that she wants someone like me, but doesn't want me. I don't know what hurts more, that or the actual breakup.

Holy fuck, I had no idea. *rubs your back*

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Go home, losers. I'm picking up all the ladies with this.

13921185_1135887433171387_4794090231264384925_n.jpg

/s btw

I don't want your body
But I hate to think about you with somebody else
Our love has gone cold
You're intertwining your soul with somebody else

I'm looking through you while you're looking through your phone
And then leaving with somebody else
No, I don't want your body
But I'm picturing your body with somebody else

Why did I do this to myself

I don't want your body
But I hate to think about you with somebody else
Our love has gone cold
You're intertwining your soul with somebody else

I'm looking through you while you're looking through your phone
And then leaving with somebody else
No, I don't want your body
But I'm picturing your body with somebody else

Why did I do this to myself

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Ilu <3

zeemumu

I think I'm the only person who doesn't view Good Riddance as a breakup song. I know it's supposed to be but that's not the vibe I get when i listen to it.

EatChildren

My sisters have watched a lot of Grey's Anatomy, Gossip Girl, and One Tree Hill.

As a result I know these shows far better than I should.

Em if you want to talk, PM me.

I can't get on Skype on the laptop and i will not be home until tomorrow.

My sisters have watched a lot of Grey's Anatomy, Gossip Girl, and One Tree Hill.

As a result I know these shows far better than I should.

Jarrod, we're more evolved than that. You can watch whatever you like and shouldn't have to be judged for it! :D

I've watched all of these but Grey's Anatomy, and add Heart of Dixie on top. :D

I tried watching Hart of Dixie after The OC because Rachel Bilson, but I just couldn't relate to it. It was trying to be way too quaint. Basically any movie or show where the message is "living an old fashioned farm life is better than city living" makes me roll my eyes.

Jobbs

Banned
what's french for "we drank so much coffee I fear I'm going to have a heart attack?" I'm sure it sounds romantic

I tried watching Hart of Dixie after The OC because Rachel Bilson, but I just couldn't relate to it. It was trying to be way too quaint. Basically any movie or show where the message is "living an old fashioned farm life is better than city living" makes me roll my eyes.

oh, it's terrible, I won't defend it. I don't know how I end up seeing some of these things

lately I've been working on salem season 2, which isn't quite as fun as season 1 was for some reason

what's french for "we drank so much coffee I fear I'm going to have a heart attack?" I'm sure it sounds romantic

oh, it's terrible, I won't defend it. I don't know how I end up seeing some of these things

omelette du fromage

nous avons léché bout à bout les trous les uns des autres et remplis avec du café

EatChildren

Seen basically all of The OC too. Fuck.

Heart of Dixie clean though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom