• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 2.0: The Return of the Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
What can I say, I'm a fountain of unrestrained emotions when it comes to Nirvana.

birdmanbirdmanygudh.gif

One wrong word about them and I'm scooping out eyes with a melon baller. Some cows must remain sacred. Like my mum.

Also: you have excellent taste.

Nirvana's not bad. I'm cool with their popularity. I love how they fucked with MTV by playing the beginning of 'Rape Me' before transitioning into another song on the awards show.

I'm a big Soundgarden and Alice In Chains fan though. They would be my sacred musical cow I suppose. :p

George Carlin was a boss. :(

I miss him so much sometimes. ;_;

So 22 Jump Street. Slow start but it picks up in a major way. Great film.

Also I just spilled my drink. Immediately after cleaning it up my friend did the exact same thing. It was incredible.

OK, what exactly is "emo"?

See I know it's a genre descriptor, but I also saw it as a slightly derogatory term for a band that have heavily emotive themes in their lyrics and stuff. I took it to mean angsty vocals delivered with a fairly pained inflection, "woe is me" kind of thing. But Rob tells me I'm wrong.

See, I'd class Paramore as quite emo, but he takes that as a slight.

Educate me Robert.
Uh...I'm bad at descriptions. A lot of it's kind of softer punk but slightly mathy with arpeggios and shit? Tends to have much more dynamic range than punk too. Some good examples would be Sunny Day Real Estate, You Blew It, Texas Is The Reason, Nai Harvest, Mineral and Into It, Over It.

NinjaBoiX

Overuse for the wrong fucking thing. Goddamnit people. Most of what you were calling emo was either pop rock or post hardcore >:c
Maybe you're wrong eh? Did you even think of that Rob? EH!

Genre arguments are hilarious.

"Nah, it's more glitchcore with elements of acid-jazz, filtered house and bluegrass, but the beat is like two-step with gabba basslines and post-pre-crabcore riffs, layered over synth-pop melodies with math-rock time signatures."

Maybe you're wrong eh? Did you even think of that Rob? EH!

Genre arguments are hilarious.

"Nah, it's more glitchcore with elements of acid-jazz, filtered house and bluegrass, but the beat is like two-step with gabba basslines and post-pre-crabcore riffs, layered over synth-pop melodies with math-rock time signatures."
Except emo was a thing a good 15 or so years before bands like Fallout Boy existed. It's annoying when I want to say I like emo but then have to explain what I mean by that.

NinjaBoiX

Alt genres are the worst, they're for people who like to pretend they know what they're talking about. They're almost entirely meaningless.

"Well it's kind of like country, but it's not quite so mainstream, so it's like alternative country and stuff."

If you're going to be a pretentious muso then at least commit.

My preferred musical genre: Music

If I have to break it down: Pop, rock, jazz, classical

I'm fine with vague all encompassing genre terminology tbh.

Alt genres are the worst, they're for people who like to pretend they know what they're talking about. They're almost entirely meaningless.

"Well it's kind of like country, but it's not quite so mainstream, so it's like alternative country and stuff."

"I only listen to alternative pop because it's somehow on a higher plane than standard pleb pop. It's true art."

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

I like my music hard and heavy. Don't care which genre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom