• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah okay. I thought you were afraid of random negative comments. My family just blows negative comments out of proportion.

They'd probably condemn trab to hell for nothing but her piercings and tattoos despite her being ridiculously nice

you think I'm ridiculously nice?? �� (edit damn cat emoji didn't work)

but yeah I'm lucky my parents don't give a shit about tattoos or piercings or crazy hairstyles or whatever.
my grandparents are a bit different but it's not that bad. it's really a shame some people aren't more open minded about trivial and superficial things like this. but at some point you have to learn to not give a shit. if parents are seriously critizing your looks they have some sort of issues that should not be tolerated.

I...I can't tell if you're joking and am now even more anxious

you can't be sure but I'll immediately end the potential mischief if you send me a screenshot of your perfectly filled out profile >:D

srsly tho...nothing is gonna happen. you don't have to message people right away, just do this first step and you'll be fine

0kVpadi.png

”Hey Ian.”
“What, Jared?”
“This rock we’re leaning on isn’t the only thing that’s hard. ;)”
“….I’m topping this time.”

Brb, shipping them.

zeemumu

you think I'm ridiculously nice?? �� (edit damn cat emoji didn't work)

but yeah I'm lucky my parents don't give a shit about tattoos or piercings or crazy hairstyles or whatever.
my grandparents are a bit different but it's not that bad. it's really a shame some people aren't more open minded about trivial and superficial things like this. but at some point you have to learn to not give a shit. if parents are seriously critizing your looks they have some sort of issues that should not be tolerated.

You and lilith are the nicest people in the thread

Misha

Banned
What's a guys experience on dating sites like? Do you immediately get a bunch of messages when its created or do you have to initiate everything?

zeemumu

What's a guys experience on dating sites like? Do you immediately get a bunch of messages when its created or do you have to initiate everything?

Tinders the only dating-related thing I've used, really. I get matches in bursts but only a small handful initiate the conversation.

jb1234

Alright, I'm popping in with the need for some dating advice.

Basically, I've been going out with this dude since last Sunday. We've seen each other twice and will be seeing each other again a little later today at the park. He's very nice, very charming. Has no issues with my health problems. We talk to each other very easily, about video games, music (he was a music minor), other nerdy things. Our first date (and my very first, period) was very easy because we just connected on that social level really quickly.

The problem is that I don't feel a connection on a romantic level. I've never felt the need to kiss him (and we haven't). I know he's definitely into me because he communicates more than I do (and I'm sure that'll become a problem eventually). He checks on me every morning to see how I'm feeling, which is really sweet. It makes me feel very guilty which is why I haven't said "thanks, but time to move on" to him yet because I'd like to hold on to the possibility that he's a slow grower.

My initial idea was to have a conversation with him today (no matter how awkward it'll feel) about where he's at and how he feels about all this but I'm not really sure if that's the right call, honestly. I've never dealt with any of this before.

Jobbs

Banned

Basically, I've been going out with this dude since last Sunday. We've seen each other twice and will be seeing each other again a little later today at the park. He's very nice, very charming. Has no issues with my health problems. We talk to each other very easily, about video games, music (he was a music minor), other nerdy things. Our first date (and my very first, period) was very easy because we just connected on that social level really quickly.

The problem is that I don't feel a connection on a romantic level. I've never felt the need to kiss him (and we haven't). I know he's definitely into me because he communicates more than I do (and I'm sure that'll become a problem eventually). He checks on me every morning to see how I'm feeling, which is really sweet. It makes me feel very guilty which is why I haven't said "thanks, but time to move on" to him yet because I'd like to hold on to the possibility that he's a slow grower.

My initial idea was to have a conversation with him today (no matter how awkward it'll feel) about where he's at and how he feels about all this but I'm not really sure if that's the right call, honestly. I've never dealt with any of this before.

According to Friends, you need to keep touching him in non sexual places at the end of dates until you run out of places, and just hope the chemistry sparks before then.

28a43c90-e0a6-0133-42e7-0e89da4c2bc1.gif

Misha

Banned
Tinders the only dating-related thing I've used, really. I get matches in bursts but only a small handful initiate the conversation.

Initiate, but I think it's like that because girls get a bunch of messages.
Not too surprising but that means most of my experience doesn't apply
Unsolicited Dick Pics: The Saga™

Thirsty Ass Hos: The Tale™

(Speaking from the gay male perspective of course.)

I really should have specified straight :p

Sounds sorta like all guys are socialized to initiate and the opposite for girls cause listing lesbian on a dating site gets you absolutely no responses (unless you have a good pic id assume)

aw glad you're finally putting yourself out there! :) congrats on that.
I'm just taking some wild guesses here....why aren't you into him? he seems pretty much perfect for you in terms of personality. is he just not physically attractive to you? not your type when it comes to looks? that would be totally fine btw, it happens.
but if that's not reaally the case could it be that you're maybe just a little scared?
if I'm not completely mistaken you don't have that much experience with romantic stuff, right? that could definitely be something that's influencing your feelings, even if you don't consciously know about it. in that case...take your time to decide. maybe you'll actually enjoy getting closer

jb1234

According to Friends, you need to keep touching him in non sexual places at the end of dates until you run out of places, and just hope the chemistry sparks before then.

28a43c90-e0a6-0133-42e7-0e89da4c2bc1.gif

Yeah, it's funny that the first thing I thought of was Monica and Jon Favreau. He finally kissed her and it was all go from then out (at least until the writers decided it was time for him to go and he was written out terribly). But real life isn't a sitcom. :p

aw glad you're finally putting yourself out there! :) congrats on that.
I'm just taking some wild guesses here....why aren't you into him? he seems pretty much perfect for you in terms of personality. is he just not physically attractive to you? not your type when it comes to looks? that would be totally fine btw, it happens.
but if that's not reaally the case could it be that you're maybe just a little scared?
if I'm not completely mistaken you don't have that much experience with romantic stuff, right? that could definitely be something that's influencing your feelings, even if you don't consciously know about it. in that case...take your time to decide. maybe you'll actually enjoy getting closer

I have a very long and very torrid history of falling for straight men. This is actually the first situation I've been with where a dude is attainable. Maybe I'm sabotaging myself, I don't know. I think I'd be more attracted to him if he lost like 80 pounds but then I feel like a shallow fuck. But I do really like who he is so I'm sticking with it, enjoying the time we're together. I just don't want to drag him along with false expectations.

In my experience, the romantic connection doesn't always happen right away. I think this is especially true if you feel guarded for some reason or another (such as your health problems right now). Even if you both say that you're open to or okay with something, it can still take a while to truly warm up to the idea.

At only two dates it's a little early to call it. If you still have hope for where this relationship might go then I wouldn't call it quits just yet. :)

Jobbs

Banned
I don't agree. If you aren't attracted to someone after two dates you won't ever be. I've never heard of that happening.

In most cases you know in two seconds, much less two dates

I think it's natural to have some hesitation when it comes to new people and new relationships, especially romantic ones. I agree with Trab that you probably need some time to warm up to the idea of being with someone, not even intimately, but emotionally. It's a huge deal when you allow someone to wriggle their way under your skin in a good way, and it still terrifies me.

Just be patient w/ yourself

Jobbs

Banned
listen to the female advice, jb. we're all agreeing and that can't be wrong.

you are all wrong. me and JB are men so I'm going to say what JB already knows: it's going nowhere. there's no physical chemistry, it's DOA, but he's reluctant to give up on it because the guy is such a good person... but he knows

jb1234

listen to the female advice, jb. we're all agreeing and that can't be wrong.

Hahaha! Poor Jobbs. :p

(It's good advice, though. Thanks, guys! I've asked a whole bunch of people and they either think I should bail or I should stick with it. So it's up to me, I guess. We'll see how later today goes.)

you are all wrong. me and JB are men so I'm going to say what JB already knows: it's going nowhere. there's no physical chemistry, it's DOA, but he's reluctant to give up on it because the guy is such a good person... but he knows
shut up jobbs!!
Hahaha! Poor Jobbs. :p

(It's good advice, though. Thanks, guys! I've asked a whole bunch of people and they either think I should bail or I should stick with it. So it's up to me, I guess. We'll see how later today goes.)

well just really ask yourself why you're not interested/attracted. if it's really just lacking chemistry or your own mental protective shield. that's the best thing you can do. :)
you should not expect hollywood-like stuff though. a lot of first romantic contact is awkward by nature but it gets better :>

jb1234

shut up jobbs!!

well just really ask yourself why you're not interested/attracted. if it's really just lacking chemistry or your own mental protective shield. that's the best thing you can do. :)
you should not expect hollywood-like stuff though. a lot of first romantic contact is awkward by nature but it gets better :>

Nah, I went into the whole thing with zero expectations. I didn't want to be the guy who was like, "OOOH, THIS COULD BE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE." I just wanted to have a good time, maybe it would work out, maybe it wouldn't but it was a new experience and I'm always eager for those.

Nah, I went into the whole thing with zero expectations. I didn't want to be the guy who was like, "OOOH, THIS COULD BE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, PRESSURE PRESSURE PRESSURE." I just wanted to have a good time, maybe it would work out, maybe it wouldn't but it was a new experience and I'm always eager for those.
then savour it! don't stress yourself out

jb1234

then savour it! don't stress yourself out

I think I might be clinging onto it more than I should because I'm worried no other guy will be interested. For a lot of people, a chronic illness is a deal breaker. And I won't deny that it's a high maintenance thing. Hell, I considered myself completely undateable before this dude showed up and had resigned myself to that.

(I'd try to figure out a way to leave that revelation for future dates but it's very, very hard to get around it when people ask what I do for a living on the first date.)

I think I might be clinging onto it more than I should because I'm worried no other guy will be interested. For a lot of people, a chronic illness is a deal breaker. And I won't deny that it's a high maintenance thing. Hell, I considered myself completely undateable before this dude showed up and had resigned myself to that.

(I'd try to figure out a way to leave that revelation for future dates but it's very, very hard to get around it when people ask what I do for a living on the first date.)

other dudes will show up if you let them. that's just a confidence issue a lot of us have. illness or not, you're still a lovable person :)

lol the autism thread on Off Topic reminds me that I can talk a lot about video games.

I could talk for like hours and hours about the old Doom games and Half Life 1. I could probably spend hours and hours extoling the virtues of Super Metroid. I could talk about the old Castlevanias.

I could talk about the Penny Arcade forums from when I was posting there in 2006 and I could talk about this tree house forum I still post in. I could talk about all those people i've known from there. I could talk about mcc, whose on twitter now and like how she influenced me on issues like transgender acceptence, atheism and liberal politics. I could tell you she's really hot and educated. The people she talks on twitter are hot as fuck and educated. I could tell you that I've known ShockingAlberto and BiggNife for quite awhile. I could tell you about how the tree house has changed a lot in ten years. I could tell you a lot of things.

Jobbs

Banned
JOBBS HATES GREY SEXUALITY!

I do not.

from what I understand, though, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) asexual or grey sexual people can still have romantic involvements, and these are rooted in some form of chemistry. They just don't necessarily have any sex or any desire to have sex.

right?

I'd bend the truth on first date.

master musician on sabbatical.

jb1234

I'd bend the truth on first date.

master musician on sabbatical.

That is... actually quite brilliant. It's a stretch but certainly not a lie. If I can just get people past that first date, I think they'd find it easier to accept my limitations as they get to know me.

zeemumu

Apparently I DID make an OkCupid profile at some point. It's cringeworthy.

Yeah sure, this seems like a thing.
What I’m doing with my life
Keeping myself occupied while I make my way through college.
I’m really good at
Jokes, games, listening
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
Science fiction and horror novels, scary movies, pretty much any genre of music, and seafood
The six things I could never do without
Friends
Earbuds
My dog
Freedom to travel
I spend a lot of time thinking about
Mostly just thoughts about how I can improve on myself. To be honest I think waaay too much.
On a typical Friday night I am
Either at work, at the movies, or at home.
You should message me if
If you want to.

The hell was I on when I wrote these?

Jobbs

Banned
That is... actually quite brilliant. It's a stretch but certainly not a lie. If I can just get people past that first date, I think they'd find it easier to accept my limitations as they get to know me.

when are people going to warm up to the idea that for all of my hilarious jokes, I actually have a ton of applicable wisdom

Misha

Banned
I do not.

from what I understand, though, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) asexual or grey sexual people can still have romantic involvements, and these are rooted in some form of chemistry. They just don't necessarily have any sex or any desire to have sex.

right?

I mean everything we do is rooted in chemistry so that doesn't exactly narrow it down but physical attraction is not a given. And you can like how someone physically looks without being sexually attracted to them.

But of course this probably has nothing to do with this situation. I can't relate so I thought it more productive to accuse you of something else :p :p

jb1234

Yeah, you might want to do some rewrites there. ;)

when are people going to warm up to the idea that for all of my hilarious jokes, I actually have a ton of applicable wisdom

Well, you're old and stuff so it makes sense that you have some life experience behind your belt.

Friends sucks...that is all.

How dare you.

what position is left in the die alone club? seems like everything's taken but I need to join

doesn't seem too bad to me. not too long, not too short. it's all good

edit: ohgod I can't share okcupid pics here, can I? I just logged in and saw a guy taking a selfie infront of a mirror that showed his naked ass. this is the kind of shit that's on there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom