• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I keep forgetting about Stellaris as soon as I look away from it. It's like The Silence of video games.

I need to save up for Overwatch or Mirror's Edge Catalyst anyway...

marrec

Banned
Ugh, these ridiculous helicopter parent articles, they make me roll my eyes every time.

Sorry, I know we shouldn't do meta commentary in our community thread, I just can't stand that shit.

Curious about Tropico 5 after it being on PS plus

DL it and load it up!

It's a damn fine game

Misha

Banned
Ugh, these ridiculous helicopter parent articles, they make me roll my eyes every time.

Sorry, I know we shouldn't do meta commentary in our community thread, I just can't stand that shit.
The article or the parents? It's sorta ambiguous :p

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
finally got ma moneh. <3

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11139-1377799015-13.gif

FloatOn

I finally got around to playing more dark souls 3 last night.

Faron Keep is bananas. Those giant tree enemies can suck my balls

marrec

Banned
The article or the parents? It's sorta ambiguous :p

The whole damn thing surrounding it.

Like I said in the thread, it's usually just an excuse for the (usually upper middle class white author who came from humble beginnings) to wax his or her rod to the glowing nostalgia of their rough and tumble youth and lament that their son or their sister's daughter or whatever isn't growing up the exact same way as them and subtle shaming of anyone who doesn't say "remember the good ole' days?"

And then inevitably people share it on facebook and all the upper middle-class parents get together and jack each other off about how awesome they had it growing up and how awful it is now for kids and omg what are we going to do when they grow up? "NO WONDER MILLENNIALS ARE SO ENTITLED!"

It's saccharine bullshit.

zeemumu

I don't think it's helicopter parenting to not allow your kids to battle thieves in a race to find boobytrapped pirate treasure without supervision. More negligence than anything.

That said, I wasn't allowed to get a Myspace account when I was younger because my parents were afraid that it would summon a white van to my house to take me away. To this day my mom still doesn't fully understand how Facebook works because she only reads the horror stories.

Like I said in the thread, it's usually just an excuse for the (usually upper middle class white author who came from humble beginnings) to wax his or her rod to the glowing nostalgia of their rough and tumble youth and lament that their son or their sister's daughter or whatever isn't growing up the exact same way as them and subtle shaming of anyone who doesn't say "remember the good ole' days?"

And then inevitably people share it on facebook and all the upper middle-class parents get together and jack each other off about how awesome they had it growing up and how awful it is now for kids and omg what are we going to do when they grow up? "NO WONDER MILLENNIALS ARE SO ENTITLED!"

Out of interest, what's the class division in America? Noone ever seems to talk about working class which is super weird to me

Misha

Banned

It's actually really funny in my family. My dad goes on and on about how amazing his childhood was and how he spent hours in the forest but I was very restricted with what I could do. By the time they let me do stuff on my own I was uninterested in doing any of those things

Out of interest, what's the class division in America? Noone ever seems to talk about working class which is super weird to me

What do you mean exactly?

In my school district, most people lived in two story homes, a few had large farms and a bit lived in trailers

marrec

Banned

Working class are usually lower class urban and rural families these days, we used to have a blue collar "working class" middle class that was based almost entirely on manufacturing but that's been dismantled over the years by stagnant wages and slow manufacturing growth in America.

The "working poor" are those who work minimum wage jobs and have to subside on government assistance since minimum wage isn't a living wage.

The "middle class" are usually more white collar jobs like finance or law or insurance and more recently, the tech industry.

GermanGAF makes me angry sometimes. GAF quality really suffers from not having a mod. I nominate myself for first German speaking one.

Use a proxy or w/e

I doubt anyone would be willing to report you since German would be way more desirable than American

wat why?

Because gave you heard the news that comes out of America?
it's closer tho. I actually found a cute Canadian on okcupid but it would be no use anway
c_c

What's happening? GermanGAF is boring as of late so I avoid it mostly

just some dumb jokes, I'm sure you heard about it. most people are cool about it but some just don't stop no matter what. I didn't even participate in making it a subject in the first place and now it's really bothering me.

you could be

wanna get married ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

getting married to joing a dating site...hmm

Xiao Hu

just some dumb jokes, I'm sure you heard about it. most people are cool about it but some just don't stop no matter what. I didn't even participate in making it a subject in the first place and now it's really bothering me.

oh that. Well, i just roll my eyes and pretend that it's just the bad humor amongst Germans. Btw, I'm also kind of vegetarian but only in suspended mode because it's hard living in China and trying to avoid meat in your vegetarian meals. Plus dairy products are ridiculously expensive here to compensate the lack of animal protein for me :/

Granadier

in German it's not though

I'm sure, I just don't know German well enough to read it. By "hilarious" I meant that the translation is so poor that it makes no sense.

Something about vegans and eating meet and shitting on you for bringing up the subject or something? Seems hostile from what I can gather.

oh that. Well, i just roll my eyes and pretend that it's just the bad humor amongst Germans. Btw, I'm also kind of vegetarian but only in suspended mode because it's hard living in China and trying to avoid meat in your vegetarian meals. Plus dairy products are ridiculously expensive here to compensate the lack of animal protein for me :/

yeah but I don't really need that here. I have bad German humor all around me in RL.
there are too many stubborn men in there, it's getting toxic.

yeah I imagine that being hard in China. protein should not be a problem though. I think there some nice veggies in Asian cuisine that will do that for you. also a lot of soymilk and stuff I guess.

Xiao Hu

I'm sure, I just don't know German well enough to read it. By "hilarious" I meant that the translation is so poor that it makes no sense.

Something about vegans and eating meet and shitting on you for bringing up the subject or something? Seems hostile from what I can gather.

It's more like people not understanding when a joke is not funny anymore or even if it was funny in the first place.

yeah I bet it is. German is a funny language anyway.
I didn't bring up the subject, they just rant/joke about it on their own. they can do that but not all the fucking time. especially when they know I'll probably take it personal at some point. it's just a weird atmosphere.
something like that would never happen here, even though not everyone has the same opinion about stuff. :)

Xiao Hu

yeah but I don't really need that here. I have bad German humor all around me in RL.
there are too many stubborn men in there, it's getting toxic.

yeah I imagine that being hard in China. protein should not be a problem though. I think there some nice veggies in Asian cuisine that will do that for you. also a lot of soymilk and stuff I guess.

Well there is tofu at least. But pure tofu taste like nothing so it involves a great chunk of preparation like marinating it in soysauce and spices. I don't have enough space in the fridge to justify doing it myself and the local Shanghainese cuisine (because if you want to eat cheap you go to the local restaurants) doesn't provide that many dishes with tofu (if at all) that doesn't involve deep frying it in a shit ton of oil.

Granadier

It's more like people not understanding when a joke is not funny anymore or even if it was funny in the first place.

yeah I bet it is. German is a funny language anyway.
I didn't bring up the subject, they just rant/joke about it on their own. they can do that but not all the fucking time. especially when they know I'll probably take it personal at some point. it's just a weird atmosphere.
something like that would never happen here, even though not everyone has the same opinion about stuff. :)

Oh I see. That reminds me of the shit little kids would do before they learned about social norms and how to be decent. Sorry to hear that you have to deal with that.

---

On another shitty topic, I just came across this Lionhead interview on gaming side. It's pretty god damn disgusting.
"They were going, you can't have a black person on the cover, and you can't have a woman. And you want a black woman. And I was like, yes, I do, because it's about be whatever hero you want. No. It's a white guy. That's just the way it is. We know what sells and that's fucking it. Stop the arguing. I was like, fuck you! That was a huge fight."
"I was screaming at them in conference calls. I lost it at that point, because they just weren't getting the game. Especially because we were the first ever game that had gay marriage, we were about breaking down walls. It was meant to be funny and mature. They just took none of it and just did the usual white guy with a sword on the front. Damn it! You missed the point!"

Misha

Banned
Since I'm going to be moving in with a vegetarian and I can't eat dairy products, I'm probably going vegan soon. I'm tired of meat anyway

Misha

Banned
lets hit up some cool restaurants and exchange crazy okcupid stories
I actually didn't get any farther on OK Cupid than getting a few messages. I decided I'd just look for women and that was a ton less successful so I sorta lost interest. When I have some good pics and stuff maybe I'll try again

Granadier

Since OKCupid doesn't have the message restriction of being matched first, as females do you get blasted by rude messages and such?

Misha

Banned
Since OKCupid doesn't have the message restriction of being matched first, as females do you get blasted by rude messages and such?
I got blasted with messages that just said "hi"

Was honestly surprised it was that positive (though completely useless)

Granadier

"Hi" "Hey" "Hello" "What's up"
Absolutely the worst. I will get that from girls as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom