• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
You know I just realized, I've said for awhile that I found philosophy majors annoying but that's not true. It's math majors who think they know everything about philosophy.

purity.png

Or go to a country that doesn't deny you the right of affordable or even free higher education

Fuck you ya fackin commie!!!! People gotta werk haaad and go into crippling debt if they wanna get ahead in life. Otherwise their just fackin freeloadas.

Friend I dropped off at the airport left her phone in my car, so I had to FedEx it to her hotel. Costs like $110 to overnight it. wtf

seems like you have a solid weekend lined up yourself. I hope it goes off without a hitch

also I'm glad to have influenced your lunch decision today. the great thing about this wing place I'm ordering from tomorrow is that not only are they the best wings I've ever had but the restaurant is less than a mile from my house.

I'm super impressionable when it comes to food. I should be thanking you! :p

FloatOn

Fuck you ya fackin commie!!!! People gotta werk haaad and go into crippling debt if they wanna get ahead in life. Otherwise their just fackin freeloadas.

this is going to trigger RNH so hard

I'm calling it now

why do I know you people so well

Friend I dropped off at the airport left her phone in my car, so I had to FedEx it to her hotel. Costs like $110 to overnight it. wtf

I hope you are getting reimbursed

MutFox

Banned
I went to school for 3D animation and visual effects...
I'm now a systems analyst, for some reason.

Still don't know how I got the job.
When people ask how I know this stuff, I say, "PC gaming." (And I'm not lying)

Granadier

marrec

Banned
The article may be a bit too reductionist but I agree with the general sentiment that the game is shallow and boring (so far).

I thought the article was pretty forgiving on the game, even going so far as to praise it and point out how influential it's been in the space.

Granadier

I guess people are getting banned there for not reading the article? It's not nearly as incendiary as the thread title would lead you to believe.

I feel like that's a fairly silly thing to get banned for though. Like that's 90% of the posts in the first couple pages of threads. People just taking the title at face value and making assumptions based on that.

MutFox

Banned
The article may be a bit too reductionist but I agree with the general sentiment that the game is shallow and boring (so far).

This is my opinion:
248564.gif

Id actually play uncharted if they removed the shooting and replaced it with QTEs

Also it's called adventure game, not walking simulator, dumdums

I only played Uncharted 1 and 2.
Terrible shooting mechanics, but the graphics were nice for the time.

That's the thing about games with great graphics and poor gameplay.
They won't be remembered as classics.

Haven't played uncharted 4 yet though.
Have Last of Us, but haven't started that either.

marrec

Banned
I feel like that's a fairly silly thing to get banned for though. Like that's 90% of the posts in the first couple pages of threads. People just taking the title at face value and making assumptions based on that.

It's undoubtedly short bans, but if people are going to jump into a thread and participate in discussion they need to actually read shit.

Misha

Banned
Expected, it is the biggest release this year on PS4
Horizon tho
I only played Uncharted 1 and 2.
Terrible shooting mechanics, but the graphics were nice for the time.

That's the thing about games with great graphics and poor gameplay.
They won't be remembered as classics.

Haven't played uncharted 4 yet though.
Have Last of Us, but haven't started that either.
Tomb raider? That was even worse but somehow gets remembered as a classic

Granadier

It's undoubtedly short bans, but if people are going to jump into a thread and participate in discussion they need to actually read shit.

While I agree with you, it just seems odd to see it so heavy handed in there since most other threads that behavior is ignored.

Jobbs

Banned
I thought the article was pretty forgiving on the game, even going so far as to praise it and point out how influential it's been in the space.

ND has a unique formula/feel that I acknowledge and can appreciate, but it only really comes to life in TLOU, because the game is so much more grounded and better balanced not only in its themes but in its mechanics. In TLOU, the banter counterbalances the darker themes. In UC4, my characters banter and joke but I care about nothing because nothing is ever at stake.

If you push believability too far or bend the laws of physics too much you simply sever the connection between me and the game and I just don't care. This is a constant problem with UC4, not only with its writing and themes but with its gameplay/action.

TLOU shits on UC4 from such a great height I'm not sure how to accurately describe it. It's as if they forgot most of what they learned when getting started on UC4

Misha

Banned
While I agree with you, it just seems odd to see it so heavy handed in there since most other threads that behavior is ignored.
In theory it would be because they don't successfully derail those other threads. In reality it's more likely that that thread is seeing more attention. I've definitely seen it before though and it seems when they start doing it, they stay fairly consistent within that thread

I wish it happened more often, actually. Jumping to conclusions is dangerous and not conducive to proper discussion. Plus, to be fair, the OP of that thread was also banned.

This is my opinion:

How is it overhyped? It's perfectly fine to not like a thing, but if tons of people are getting hyper for a thing because they quite like that thing then it's not overhyped.

Overhyped is like when a shit movie that nobody wants to see gets a huge ad campaign you see everywhere and then it still bombs. Uncharted might be majorly hyped, but it's not overhyped.

marrec

Banned
ND has a unique formula/feel that I acknowledge and can appreciate, but it only really comes to life in TLOU, because the game is so much more grounded and better balanced not only in its themes but in its mechanics. In TLOU, the banter counterbalances the darker themes. In UC4, my characters banter and joke but I care about nothing because nothing is ever at stake.

If you push believability too far or bend the laws of physics too much you simply sever the connection between me and the game and I just don't care. This is a constant problem with UC4, not only with its writing and themes but with its gameplay/action.

TLOU shits on UC4 from such a great height I'm not sure how to accurately describe it. It's as if they forgot most of what they learned when getting started on UC4

I mean, you kind of said it yourself, but I doubt they're trying to recreate the feeling of TLOU in any UC game. The spectacle and grand scale of it all remains between the two games, but they're playing in completely different genres and it's intentional.

I haven't played UC4 yet, mind.

Speaking of, I'm going to have to get unstuck in UC1 tonight... the amount of shooting I'm doing in that game is getting a little irritating tbh.

FloatOn

It's an issue of priority. Games like Uncharted and new Tomb Raider put all the eggs in the flashy wow factor basket and the actual gameplay comes second.

Max Payne 3 had some pretty insane set pieces too but the gunplay is on a whole other level.

Jobbs

Banned
She didn't even have character till recently

The original Tomb Raiders were utter trash. I won't pretend they were good just because they're "classics".

The new games are better in every way, despite some shortcomings, and I personally like them more than UC. UC has things it does better, but it's just too flawed at its center. I face constant tissue rejection of UC no matter if I genuinely try to enjoy it. It's just rotten.

FloatOn

The original Tomb Raiders were utter trash. I won't pretend they were good just because they're "classics".

The new games are better in every way, despite some shortcomings, and I personally like them more than UC. UC has things it does better, but it's just too flawed at its center. I face constant tissue rejection of UC no matter if I genuinely try to enjoy it. It's just rotten.

I played the Tomb Raider reboot to completion and the only thing I liked was the bow combat.

the story was offensively bad. like syfy channel bad

no they were not! they just might not hold up all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom