• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
I played the Tomb Raider reboot to completion and the only thing I liked was the bow combat.

the story was offensively bad. like syfy channel bad

UC4 is nearly as bad story-wise. Don't go into video games expecting brilliant stories. TLOU remains the only video game with an exceptionally well told and well written story.

no they were not! they just might not hold up all that well.

picgifs-friends-377546.gif

FloatOn

Let's talk about third person shooters that get it right:

Max Payne 3
Alan Wake
Binary Domain
Resident Evil 4

it's difficult to identify what exactly make these games so special in my mind but it has to do with them telling a decent story and gunplay that has some kind of impact.

I also kind of feel like these games didn't have obscene amounts of bullet spongey enemies which helps or super long QTEs

UC4 is nearly as bad story-wise. Don't go into video games expecting brilliant stories. TLOU remains the only video game with an exceptionally well told and well written story.

I was underwhelmed by what I played of TLOU story.

Story telling in the Souls serise reigns supreme.

Can somebody explain the linear complaint? Something like Super Mario Bros is much more linear than Uncharted but you never hear people use that complaint against it. Like it's fine to prefer GTA/Metroid/whatever open design, but that doesn't make linear design bad. Just different.

FWIW I think the two recent Tomb Raider games are much better than the first three Uncharted games. UC4 however has comparable gameplay to them (even directly lifting a couple of Lara's tools) but a far better story.

Let's talk about third person shooters that get it right:

Max Payne 3
Alan Wake
Binary Domain
Resident Evil 4

it's difficult to identify what exactly make these games so special in my mind but it has to do with them telling a decent story and gunplay that has some kind of impact.

I also kind of feel like these games didn't have obscene amounts of bullet spongey enemies which helps or super long QTEs

Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, Saints Row, GTA for me.

marrec

Banned
More linear games are almost always better anyway, open world or semi-open world games suck.

Also, the Gears of War games get TPS right.

And so does RE5 and RE6.

Max Payne 3 was mediocre.

Misha

Banned
More linear games are almost always better anyway, open world or semi-open world games suck.

And so does RE5 and RE6.

Crpgs always do better open world. It's rare that a first person game gets it right though

But I still enjoy those open world first person games even though they're shallow

marrec

Banned
Crpgs always do better open world. It's rare that a first person game gets it right though

Traditional CRPGs ya, but even stuff like The Witcher 3 rubs me the wrong way for the most part with it's open world.

Surprisingly, MGSV is my favorite open world game... probably because it's not actually an open world game.

I think the game that killed open worlds for me was GTAIV... it was just bad in every respect and soured me.

FloatOn

And so does RE5 and RE6.

GTA 5 is king of open world game design as far as I'm concerned. I still need to play Witcher 3 tho

How is Max Payne 3 mediocre?

Jobbs

Banned
That's isn't the games at all, just the marketing. Look tits is Rumble Roses

The only things I remember about the original Tomb Raider games on PSX are low poly T&A and terrible controls... And fighting tigers/dinosaurs (which is neat, I suppose).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
how? in the oven?
In the oven. The wait is annoying but the flavor is way better than frying them. Make sure to put some non stick spray on the baking sheet (I made the mistake a few times for being in a rush) and brush some olive oil and sprinkle what you want on top of it. If you wanna be fancy make a small batch of cheese and broccoli soup to dip in the chips.
Send me some pls
LOL I would if I could bro.

marrec

Banned
GTA 5 is king of open world game design as far as I'm concerned. I still need to play Witcher 3 tho

How is Max Payne 3 mediocre?

The only thing good about it was the graphics. Story, gameplay, everything else was just... there. I couldn't be asked to complete it.

Also, I can't give GTA5 a try after the disappointing mess that was GTA4.

Misha

Banned
Traditional CRPGs ya, but even stuff like The Witcher 3 rubs me the wrong way for the most part with it's open world.

Surprisingly, MGSV is my favorite open world game... probably because it's not actually an open world game.

I think the game that killed open worlds for me was GTAIV... it was just bad in every respect and soured me.
I meant the isometric kind. Third person action games in general are balls. Also it isn't even a "c" anymore since they're developing it simultaneously for consoles

In the oven. The wait is annoying but the flavor is way better than frying them. Make sure to put some non stick spray on the baking sheet (I made the mistake a few times for being in a rush) and brush some olive oil and sprinkle what you want on top of it. If you wanna be fancy make a small batch of cheese and broccoli soup to dip in the chips.

LOL I would if I could bro.

noice! how long does it take you?

marrec

Banned
I meant the isometric kind. Third person games in general are balls. Also it isn't even a "c" anymore since they're developing it simultaneously for consoles

CRPGs have become rather niche these days ya :(

Might and Magic X proves that, for whatever reason, that style of open world design is just superior to the newer style of The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Bioware style.

"Hey cousin, do you have time for some bowling?"
Give it a try, far better experience than GTA 4 in my opinion

If I can get it for cheap I might. Like I said I have a poor opinion of most open world games from the get go.

Misha

Banned
CRPGs have become rather niche these days ya :(

Might and Magic X proves that, for whatever reason, that style of open world design is just superior to the newer style of The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Bioware style.
Crpgs were nicher 5 years ago so things aren't as bad. Maybe they'll take the full jump like adventure games to mainstream (tbh mainstream is a bit of an exaggeration but it's really close)

FloatOn

I never got bored driving around in GTA 5. If that can happen in an open world game I'm impressed.

Can somebody explain the linear complaint? Something like Super Mario Bros is much more linear than Uncharted but you never hear people use that complaint against it. Like it's fine to prefer GTA/Metroid/whatever open design, but that doesn't make linear design bad. Just different.

I think both schools of thought can be good when it comes to game design. Linear games tend to offer a more focursed experience which is nice sometimes but it can be insulting with too much hand holding.

Badly designed open world games tend to be boring with repeating events and bland environments. But an open world game that is designed well offers more freedom and is seen more ambitious to the player.

my personal preference are smaller more well crafted open world games like the original Dark Souls. It may not have been as huge as something like Skyrim or Witcher 3 but every single area of that game was laid out with intention but at the same time gave me freedom to explore (to a certain degree).

Jobbs

Banned
GTA5 is a fucking dumspter fire of hate, negativity, unlikable characters, yelling, repetition, bad gunplay and a shallow game world all wrapped around a nice misogynistic undertone. Unless you're someone who can easily be entertained by crashing cars together and killing random hookers and stuff, avoid.

I hated this game so much that I couldn't bare to even keep it on my shelf. I put it in a drawer until I got around to ebaying it.

Vazra

And so does RE5 and RE6.

Resident Evil 5 issue was that it wasnt Resident Evil but the gameplay was fine.
Resident Evil 6 gameplay works better on the extra content than the main game. The game layout is shit in the main campaign for most of the part and the pacing is all over the place.

Max Payne 3 sucks cause it simply threw everything that made it special. It cut too many things that made the other 2 games fun and lets not forget the fucking unskippable cutcenes.

noice! how long does it take you?
About 25 minutes and the oven is preheated at 400.

GTA5 is a fucking dumspter fire of hate, negativity, unlikable characters, yelling, repetition, bad gunplay and a shallow game world all wrapped around a nice misogynistic undertone. Unless you're someone who can easily be entertained by crashing cars together and killing random hookers and stuff, avoid.

There's all sorts of fun to be had!

Slap sticky grenades on a bus, follow it around on an ATV until it's in super dense traffic. BOOOM.

Pick up a sniper rifle. Camp out on some hill overlooking the freeway. POP. POP. Wait for the police to try to come except they're not good at getting up on the hill with you. POP. POP.

Misha

Banned

I hated this game so much that I couldn't bare to even keep it on my shelf. I put it in a drawer until I got around to ebaying it.
You should write game reviews. I think you could get a lot of clicks

marrec

Banned
Resident Evil 5 issue was that it wasnt Resident Evil but the gameplay was fine.
Resident Evil 6 gameplay works better on the extra content than the main game. The game layout is shit in the main campaign for most of the part and the pacing is all over the place.

Max Payne 3 sucks cause it simply threw everything that made it special. It cut too many things that made the other 2 games fun and lets not forget the fucking unskippable cutcenes.

Feel the same way about RE 5 and 6, but I have no special attachment to the RE franchise (I actively dislike RE 1-3)

I hope they don't fully forget the awesome parts of RE6 in the next game, just fix the pacing and story telling and you've got a great game.

SystemBug

Dude you gotta play it differently! Grab a bicycle and go biking around the city or up near the mountains.

Yeah but it introduced some of the best TPS gameplay I have ever seen in a game. So satisfying.

Jobbs

Banned
There's all sorts of fun to be had!

Slap sticky grenades on a bus, follow it around on an ATV until it's in super dense traffic. BOOOM.

Pick up a sniper rifle. Camp out on some hill overlooking the freeway. POP. POP. Wait for the police to try to come except they're not good at getting up on the hill with you. POP. POP.

Pointlessly making my own fun can be fine in limited doses. Watch Dogs was actually better in this regard. I liked to play "911 game". See how many times you can kill the person dialing 911 on you until someone finally gets a call off.

zeemumu

The original Tomb Raiders were utter trash. I won't pretend they were good just because they're "classics".

The new games are better in every way, despite some shortcomings, and I personally like them more than UC. UC has things it does better, but it's just too flawed at its center. I face constant tissue rejection of UC no matter if I genuinely try to enjoy it. It's just rotten.

The word "trash" has no meaning on here anymore. It's been used too frequently to be any form of accurate measurement.

Jobbs

Banned
Didn't they pretty much do that with Revelations 2?

RER2 is possibly my favorite RE game. RE4 is the only contender.

It's really good and really underappreciated. I think needlessly slicing it into episodes damaged the experience and put people off, but as a whole it's still awesome.

The word "trash" has no meaning on here anymore. It's been used too frequently to be any form of accurate measurement.

This actually figures into my [rare] usage of it. It's less incendiary and slightly playful.

FloatOn

nah it all worked out in the end IIRC

like the middle aged white dude's last mission was basically to rescue his family.

the gunplay was great. switching characters on the fly and having 3 seperate campaigns that all intersected in interesting ways was innovative and awesome.

the heists were fucking amazing

the random little athletic events were super fun. that one downhill biking event in particular

GTA 5 ruled man

Yeah but it introduced some of the best TPS gameplay I have ever seen in a game. So satisfying.

this guy gets it. dat euphoria engine

marrec

Banned

It's really good and really underappreciated. I think needlessly slicing it into episodes damaged the experience and put people off, but as a whole it's still awesome.

I hated it because the co-op experience was legit terrible.

Never tried it as a single player game.

Again, the more traditional RE games are the ones I DON'T like :lol

zeemumu

I don't think it's underappreciated at all. I've never really seen anyone put RE2 down. It's considered one of the best in the series along with 4 and 3

Edit: Oh you're talking about Revelations 2. Yeah, maybe. It's good but a lot of people passed on it.

Vazra

Feel the same way about RE 5 and 6, but I have no special attachment to the RE franchise (I actively dislike RE 1-3)

I hope they don't fully forget the awesome parts of RE6 in the next game, just fix the pacing and story telling and you've got a great game.

I feel RE6 could have benefited being a shorter game in terms of campaign. I could easily remove 2 of the campaigns and it would have been a better game if you tweak what is left there. I could play the other games multiple times but RE6 campaign is atrocious and doesnt give me much reasons to go back. Mercenaries is still baller tho.

Since we talking 3rd Person Shooters. Binary Domain is cool.

IMO MP3 was one of the most watered down TPS around. Sure its functional but there is not much meat to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom