• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I need some abstract games..preferably indie/pixel-y

Best pixel game that I've played in a while is Super Time Force. There's Freedom Planet too if you want a spiritual successor to Sonic. I have an extra copy but I think it's for the Wii U. Or Titan Souls.

There's also Limbo and The Fall as some good 2D games with weird atmospheres.

If you want to play a cool gimmick indie game and don't mind that it's 3D modeled, try SUPERHOT.

marrec

Banned
Best pixel game that I've played in a while is Super Time Force. There's Freedom Planet too if you want a spiritual successor to Sonic. I have an extra copy but I think it's for the Wii U. Or Titan Souls.

There's also Limbo and The Fall as some good 2D games with weird atmospheres.

If you want to play a cool gimmick indie game and don't mind that it's 3D modeled, try SUPERHOT.

None of those are abstract though, maybe SUPERHOT...

Like, really, the most "pure" Abstract game is Tetris. Once you start having recognizable shapes making up the games it gets less and less abstract in visual style at least. I like Proteus because it retains abstraction even though you can easily recognize the environment and individual things in it. It does this by making your interaction with that environment completely abstract.

Proteus is such a cool game.

zeemumu

None of those are abstract though, maybe SUPERHOT...

Like, really, the most "pure" Abstract game is Tetris. Once you start having recognizable shapes making up the games it gets less and less abstract in visual style at least. I like Proteus because it retains abstraction even though you can easily recognize the environment and individual things in it. It does this by making your interaction with that environment completely abstract.

Proteus is such a cool game.

True, but they are fun indie games :p

SUPER

HOT

SUPER

HOT

marrec

Banned
Super Hexagon is a perfect example of abstraction in gaming! Like, you're literally just a shape dodging lines along a hexagonal plane to the driving beat of the soundtrack and each time you play it's completely random.

marrec

Banned
What about Audiosurf?

It's a little less abstract I think, you're getting further away from shapes and more toward anthropomorphic things, but ya it too. Like, there are recognizable themes in Audiosurf that more or less move it away from the abstract.

Misha

Banned
I Haven't been paying attention to indie games in the last few months unfortunately. I need a good site that dies articles on them.

It's a little less abstract I think, you're getting further away from shapes and more toward anthropomorphic things, but ya it too. Like, there are recognizable themes in Audiosurf that more or less move it away from the abstract.
Shapes? Thomas was alone.

But I don't think something has to be visually abstract to be abstract. Not that I can think of any examples

thanks guys! <3 I wanted to mention one in my presentation.

I'm also doing a mashup vid of the white phosphorus scene in spec ops and the new battlefield trailer to shake things up. >:)

marrec

Banned
Shapes? Thomas was alone.

But I don't think something has to be visually abstract to be abstract. Not that I can think of any examples

You're totally right about that. I was thinking more like, Chess and Checkers as abstract games, where there is no identifiable theme or hidden information. Usually those end up being visually abstract but, like with Proteus, sometimes it doesn't have to be.

I'd actually say Thomas Was Alone isn't abstract because of the narration and story.

Misha

Banned
What's that platformihg game that's like pink and white and the colors invert on beat on the wings and it affects what platforms you can land on and stuff?
You're totally right about that. I was thinking more like, Chess and Checkers as abstract games, where there is no identifiable theme or hidden information. Usually those end up being visually abstract but, like with Proteus, sometimes it doesn't have to be.

I'd actually say Thomas Was Alone isn't abstract because of the narration and story.
Thomas was alone was a joke based on you mentioning shapes. I think it definitely fits something that's abstracted. As in the shapes are a step further away from what we'd consider people. But both gameplay wise and plot it's fairly conventional.

Jobbs

Banned
I have every adobe thing for $50 a month. I think you can just get one app for less than $30 but I'd have to check. It might be $10 or $20 for a single.

I want to thank Seth for inspiring me to grab wings for lunch. I'm just eating a big box of them and it's delicious (there's no way I eat them all... I'm going to find someone to share with)

mKg6v4bh.jpg

zeemumu

Yamane-san on the board, get yo' 'Vania fix

Hot and balanced out the gate, fuck yo' HD mix

You want them aerial raves, but you want them with chicks?

(Three on three with the ladies, a menage-a-six?)

Dat free ratio booty, custom assists

Too much animation, butt be shittin' bricks

Need dat Mahvel hype, but without all the dicks?

zeemumu

What's a good Wonder Woman comic?

Wonder Woman Year One is the only one that I've read. It was pretty good. Made me realize that Themyscira is literally just an island of immortal super lesbians. Somehow that never crossed my mind.

If you want ones where Wonder Woman is a monster you should read the Injustice tie-in or Flashpoint, but I think you've already read the latter.

Eva Green's died in a lot of her movies.

Misha

Banned
Wonder Woman Year One is the only one that I've read. It was pretty good. Made me realize that Themyscira is literally just an island of immortal super lesbians.
That's generally how the Amazons are :p

I'll keep that one in mind

If you want ones where Wonder Woman is a monster you should read the Injustice tie-in or Flashpoint, but I think you've already read the latter.
Not read, watched

zeemumu

That's generally how the Amazons are :p

I'll keep that one in mind

It makes perfect sense now, but I always thought of the Amazons as a "fight all day, no time for banging" people.

Supposedly Wonder Woman Odyssey is also pretty good.

Not read, watched

Ah

tumblr_mqx8arrm5x1qevcvlo4_r1_500.gif

Why does Shazam (Captain Thunder, whatever) always get it the hardest in bad futures? In Injustice he got his head melted straight through by Supes.

MutFox

Banned
Stupid work, it got busy and I couldn't be here to read and post. :(
(not really busy, just some meetings and chatting with coworkers)

FloatOn

I want to thank Seth for inspiring me to grab wings for lunch. I'm just eating a big box of them and it's delicious (there's no way I eat them all... I'm going to find someone to share with)

haha. glad they turned out good.

also you drive an infiniti. I've head good things about those vehicles.

I'm still leaning towards buying a fusion early next year since I get a discount at Ford.

haha. glad they turned out good.

also you drive an infiniti. I've head good things about those vehicles.

I'm still leaning towards buying a fusion early next year since I get a discount at Ford.
Oh really? Why do you get that? That seems handy.

Yeah I drive a G35. It's a lot of fun. Super smooth, handles great, lots of pep. But I kind of wish I had a hybrid or a fully electric. That's the way of the future!

FloatOn

Oh really? Why do you get that? That seems handy.

Yeah I drive a G35. It's a lot of fun. Super smooth, handles great, lots of pep. But I kind of wish I had a hybrid or a fully electric. That's the way of the future!

My mom works for a law firm that represents Ford so I get the friends and family discount. because of this both my mom and sister drive escapes.

and I hear you on the electric thing. I kind of wanted the tesla model 3 but I don't think I can wait that long.

My mom works for a law firm that represents Ford so I get the friends and family discount. because of this both my mom and sister drive escapes.

and I hear you on the electric thing. I kind of wanted the tesla model 3 but I don't think I can wait that long.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense.

My dad used to be on the board for a local surf/skate apparel company. And while I'll never complain about getting free clothes (especially ones that fit super well because I was used as a fit model at the time), we were strongly discouraged from wearing other brands of clothes, so it became a uniform of sorts.

But Ford's a good car company. It could be worse! :)

Uncharted 4 ending: 20/10
Seriously! Easily the most captivating and fitting ending to a story I've watched all year.

Jobbs

Banned
I had lentil soup and vegetables with some guac.

everyone's welcome to come at me.

Last episode of The 100 was pretty metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom