• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I really need to learn to control my spending habits. My backlog just keeps on growing and growing. I've only just started Uncharted 4 the other day, and I've gone out today and bought DOOM. Help me?

Here's some help: 90% of video games are trash. Only play the best ones and forget the rest.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Give me some of your sugar, daddy.

You will become diabetic by all the sugar I will give you.
clock-eyebrow.gif

Misha

Banned
but I dont know his real name!
well now you have to go on a date with him just to find out :p
Definitely. Even for men's haircuts they will do this. I usually will ask for something that will look good on me and they take care of the rest.
usually that should be possible, yes. I always explain and plan the heck out of it.
I don't mean me coming up with something and asking if it's okay or me asking them to do something that looks nice on me, I mean sitting down looking at pictures discussing what's good for my face shape and how I could style it and how it would look colored and stuff.

Vazra

Im only 5 minutes into Jem and The Mammograms and I want to stab myself already. What have I gotten into?

So lemme get this straight about what's going on:

Naughty Dog: "It's an end of an era, let's have one last grand adventure...."

iD: (*sounds of demons get slaughtered with various weapons, chainsaw is revving, Doomguy sounds so pissed off*)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Trab were you also using OKC or something else entirely? I only get shown like the same 8 women over and over again whenever I open the site by chance >_>

edit then again I checked into the dating thread to see how peeps are doing and holy shit I really don't miss all that drama lol. Being single has plenty of upsides.

zeemumu

Trab were you also using OKC or something else entirely? I only get shown like the same 8 women over and over again whenever I open the site by chance >_>

I think you can expand your search area like you can in Tinder.

Im only 5 minutes into Jem and The Mammograms and I want to stab myself already. What have I gotten into?

No one warned you that that movie is related to the show in name only and is actually nothing more than a discount Cheetah Girls. I'm not sure what their plan was. The people who cared about Jem figured out that it had nothing to do with the source material from the trailers and didn't see it, and the people who didn't care about Jem at all just didn't see it.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I think you can expand your search area like you can in Tinder.
If I can, I wouldn't know how. I turned off the "nearby" switch thingy in my profile, but that doesn't really change the very poor selection I get every day on the top of the page. Maybe OKC isn't just working well in Germany, idk.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I don't mean me coming up with something and asking if it's okay or me asking them to do something that looks nice on me, I mean sitting down looking at pictures discussing what's good for my face shape and how I could style it and how it would look colored and stuff.

If you go to a reputable salon, not just a great clips, they will most definitely do that for you. It will probably cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

OKC has has roughly the same women on there for the past year around me. It's just dead.

Misha

Banned
If you go to a reputable salon, not just a great clips, they will most definitely do that for you. It will probably cost a bit more, but it's worth it.

I usually go to private business that are fairly small. Cheap tho but I guess they're the wrong kind. Probably doesn't help that I live in a rural area

Granadier

I usually go to private business that are fairly small. Cheap tho but I guess they're the wrong kind. Probably doesn't help that I live in a rural area

Yeah. When I lived in the boonies I would go out of my way down to the cities for my haircuts. They know the styles better and they know what looks good on face shapes. It's worth it if you want a nice looking hair style.

Misha

Banned
Yeah. When I lived in the boonies I would go out of my way down to the cities for my haircuts. They know the styles better and they know what looks good on face shapes. It's worth it if you want a nice looking hair style.

Hey I'm not saying my hair cuts so far have been bad cause I've had some very nice ones. I just want to be able to plan it out with a professional instead of just showing a picture or giving a brief description. And I want to make sure I know what I want and what I'm getting

Vazra

No one warned you that that movie is related to the show in name only and is actually nothing more than a discount Cheetah Girls. I'm not sure what their plan was. The people who cared about Jem figured out that it had nothing to do with the source material from the trailers and didn't see it, and the people who didn't care about Jem at all just didn't see it.
I knew it just by looking at the trailer. I can't even make jokes about this shit. I'll try to push through and finish it but at this rate I rather watch the Bratz movie. Ugh I dont know how I'll survive this.

I'm already diabetic.

At best, you'll put me in a hyperglycaemic coma.
Oh my.

EDIT: I can't finish this movie. This is possibly the worst thing Ive ever attempted to watch on my life and Ive been known for finding fun even in shit movies. Sorry to disappoint people but 40 minutes is as far as I can get into this shit.

FloatOn

EDIT: I can't finish this movie. This is possibly the worst thing Ive ever attempted to watch on my life and Ive been known for finding fun even in shit movies. Sorry to disappoint people but 40 minutes is as far as I can get into this shit.

lol. Sorry to subject you to such trash.

Granadier

Damnit grandma.

Faas6hf.jpg

Edit: this isn't my grandma, just saw it on Reddit. My grandmas are dead.

Jobbs

Banned
Making some difficult structural changes to the story that are making my head hurt (because I have to think about what storylines and characters are impacted by this change and which VOs need to be updated) but I think it's for the best

You wouldn't believe how many evolutions the story has been through

Damnit grandma.

Faas6hf.jpg

yes, would someone remove her please :p

(and I am related to bigoted people too, I can relate)

This dog I'm watching goes to great lengths to avoid eating his dry food. It must not taste very good, or it's gotten old for him, which makes sense but is depressing. But I can't just feed him treats and table scraps.

Making some difficult structural changes to the story that are making my head hurt (because I have to think about what storylines and characters are impacted by this change and which VOs need to be updated) but I think it's for the best

You wouldn't believe how many evolutions the story has been through

What prompted the change? Have you been debating it for a while?

Misha

Banned
This dog I'm watching goes to great lengths to avoid eating his dry food. It must not taste very good, or it's gotten old for him, which makes sense but is depressing. But I can't just feed him treats and table scraps.
We used to put some water on my dog's food cause she did the same. Only really works if they're gonna eat it right away cause soggy dog food works worse than soggy cereal

Jobbs

Banned
What prompted the change? Have you been debating it for a while?

This may come as a surprise, but the game has an elaborate naughty dog-esque, semi interactive intro with a lot of character banter.

I've increasingly been feeling tension over this though because it doesn't match the style or mystique of the game and doesn't align with what people prize in a game like this -- the minimalism. I've also had the simple introduction of the demo (a suit waking up from a slumber and off you go) positively reinforced multiple times.

The trouble with nixing the intro has been that it seeds some story things and sets stuff up, but I was in the shower and had a revelation about how to fix all of it.. so I started talking to my co-writer and the actress who plays the character most affected and I think we're just going to cut the intro (as many hours as went into it..) and make some changes.

We used to put some water on my dog's food cause she did the same. Only really works if they're gonna eat it right away cause soggy dog food works worse than soggy cereal

I'm not sure that'll help here but I'll keep it in mind just in case. Thanks! :)

This may come as a surprise, but the game has an elaborate naughty dog-esque, semi interactive intro with a lot of character banter.

I've been increasingly been feeling tension over this though because it doesn't match the style or mystique of the game and doesn't align with what people prize in a game like this -- the minimalism. I've also had the simple introduction of the demo (a suit waking up from a slumber and off you go) positively reinforced multiple times.

The trouble with nixing the intro has been that it seeds some story things and sets stuff up, but I was in the shower and had a revelation about how to fix all of it.. so I started talking to my co-writer and the actress who plays the character most affected and I think we're just going to cut the intro (as many hours as went into it..) and make some changes.

That sounds like a tough call, but you talked it through with the right people so I'm sure it'll be okay.

Why did you want to have that in the game to begin with? Not that I'm objecting to introductory cinematics, but it seems at odds with your inspirations (as you've said).

Jobbs

Banned
I'm not sure that'll help here but I'll keep it in mind just in case. Thanks! :)

That sounds like a tough call, but you talked it through with the right people so I'm sure it'll be okay.

Why did you want to have that in the game to begin with? Not that I'm objecting to introductory cinematics, but it seems at odds with your inspirations (as you've said).

The decision to have VO came after playing The Last of Us in 2013. I thought the idea of having some bantery moments here and there as characters follow scripted paths would add something fresh to the formula.

And it does, but with the intro I think things just went overboard. I wanted to show a believable relationship between two people to really drive us forward and motivate us to find answers when the "real" game starts.

It's been a gradual realization because removing the intro at this point would break everything (the intro seeded character motivations and set up the ending of the game) -- But I've been having the realization, nonetheless, that the intro was the product of the creator being overly indulgent and caught up in himself. It's probably a good thing I took a shower today because there's no one around to really call me on my bullshit.

MutFox

Banned
Was gonna do a motorcycle ride,
but traffic is terrible around here

Eating the last of the 420 cupcakes... :|

Very recently I was talking to a buddy about Pure Pwnage, we absolutely loved that video series in high school. We tried going back and watching some and it was rough. Definitely of it's era, and still have very fond memories from back then.

Yeah, there's still a few things that make me smile about it.
Like: "Boom! Headshot!"

During CS: Source days, my friend had a tag with a jizz faced girl with the quote:
"Boom! Faceshot!" :|

Im going to sleep and its just 5pm. I guess I wont sleep at night.

Going through almost the same thing except I crash and burn on the couch until 10:30 at night.

Last three days were fantastic because the first day was an aberration but the other two days was because I was taking my ADD med at 6:30-7:00 PM and I was fully awake and doing my thing until about 8:30 PM.

I've been using a CPAC machine for four years now and it was supposed to have solved my issues of getting up and peeing in the toilet 3 times at dead of night. But it's been three years since my last sleep study and the problem has returned with a vengeance for the last two months or so.

Goddamn sleep study so far away and so much shit making me anxious as fuck. I can practically feel my body becoming more and more useless as I get older.

The decision to have VO came after playing The Last of Us in 2013. I thought the idea of having some bantery moments here and there as characters follow scripted paths would add something fresh to the formula.

And it does, but with the intro I think things just went overboard. I wanted to show a believable relationship between two people to really drive us forward and motivate us to find answers when the "real" game starts.

It's been a gradual realization because removing the intro at this point would break everything (the intro seeded character motivations and set up the ending of the game) -- But I've been having the realization, nonetheless, that the intro was the product of the creator being overly indulgent and caught up in himself. It's probably a good thing I took a shower today because there's no one around to really call me on my bullshit.

Yeah, I can see the appeal.

VO is probably going to be the last thing I work on, if it gets added at all. The cutscenes won't be very involved, basically just classic style where you encounter someone and then trade lines for a short while from opposite ends of the screen until one of you leaves or a fight commences. This is as much a style decision as a practical one, since every time I've tried to work on more involved cutscenes in the past it takes forever with a lot of work for little to show. Instead most of the storytelling will be from chatting with various NPCs strolling throughout the main hub and from environmental cues. This way I can make all the changes I want to the story without having to do a bunch of VO work that gets redone or cut or delayed or whatever.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, I can see the appeal.

VO is probably going to be the last thing I work on, if it gets added at all. The cutscenes won't be very involved, basically just classic style where you encounter someone and then trade lines for a short while from opposite ends of the screen until one of you leaves or a fight commences. This is as much a style decision as a practical one, since every time I've tried to work on more involved cutscenes in the past it takes forever with a lot of work for little to show. Instead most of the storytelling will be from chatting with various NPCs strolling throughout the main hub and from environmental cues. This way I can make all the changes I want to the story without having to do a bunch of VO work that gets redone or cut or delayed or whatever.

I'm crazy. I got the idea of having VO in my head and just couldn't get it out of my head. It's not a rational motivation. If you look at it rationally, having VO in a game like yours or mine doesn't make a great deal of sense. Most people wouldn't miss it if it were gone, it takes a lot of time and energy to get done, and it has the potential to damage any encounter if the acting performance misses the mark.

..But it can also add a distinct feel to things. I guess what I'm saying is I'd do it again, but only if I don't have to personally do all the gruntwork.

How's your game going btw? I haven't been privy to any Hag Magnate updates in a while. Last I heard you drew a lot of weapons.

I'm crazy. I got the idea of having VO in my head and just couldn't get it out of my head. It's not a rational motivation. If you look at it rationally, having VO in a game like yours or mine doesn't make a great deal of sense. Most people wouldn't miss it if it were gone, it takes a lot of time and energy to get done, and it has the potential to damage any encounter if the acting performance misses the mark.

..But it can also add a distinct feel to things. I guess what I'm saying is I'd do it again, but only if I don't have to personally do all the gruntwork.

How's your game going btw? I haven't been privy to any Hag Magnate updates in a while. Last I heard you drew a lot of weapons.

I keep finding random stuff to do ad infinitum. Previously it was weapons. Now it's paintings and decorations for the main bar in town. Ever since switching over to Unity (from GameMaker) the programming portion of the game has been super daunting, so I keep seeking opportunities to work on something else instead. Mostly art.

It's also absurdly tempting for me to put easter eggs and references in the game, especially when I'm just cranking out shit. Like with the weapons I really wanted to put in the Master Sword and Pyramid Head's cleaver, or a quarterstaff that could easily be confused for Gandalf's white staff, or a catalyst that looks like the Elder Wand.

Then there's super esoteric stuff that probably nobody would notice anyway, like a carved wooden sword named Senob Xopus which is Supox Bones backwards, a reference to the plant people "Supox" in Star Control II.

supox.gif

Anyway I'm working on stuff like this right now:

The astute observer will notice at least four paintings infringing copyright. And I don't know why I bother. I mean it's fun to work on but at the end of the day it's spending time on something I almost certainly know shouldn't make it in the final game.

I haven't officially announced this, but I changed the name to Moon Magnate. It makes more sense within the context of the of the game, I think it sounds more appealing, and the wordplay is slightly better.

Also I spent a lot of time developing the world and history and language of the game. There's the main race of human/elven people (they have pointed ears but are otherwise human... think Jak & Daxter), and then a race of precursors who may or may not have dwelt on Earth in the past, but at least left a lot of evidence of their presence. And these relics have recently been rediscovered which is causing all sorts of magic shit and moon shenanigans to go on. The precursors have their own language with a couple thousand words in it so far, which I built a handy translator for:

MV7a94O.png

It's hard to say whether I'm making a lot of progress since very little of anything is coming together as a constructed part of the game. This almost might as well still be preproduction. But after I finish arting all of the tavern then I'll start programming again. Probably.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have sex tonight.

fuck yes! :D

Jobbs

Banned
I keep finding random stuff to do ad infinitum. Previously it was weapons. Now it's paintings and decorations for the main bar in town. Ever since switching over to Unity (from GameMaker) the programming portion of the game has been super daunting, so I keep seeking opportunities to work on something else instead. Mostly art.

It's also absurdly tempting for me to put easter eggs and references in the game, especially when I'm just cranking out shit. Like with the weapons I really wanted to put in the Master Sword and Pyramid Head's cleaver, or a quarterstaff that could easily be confused for Gandalf's white staff, or a catalyst that looks like the Elder Wand.

Then there's super esoteric stuff that probably nobody would notice anyway, like a carved wooden sword named Senob Xopus which is Supox Bones backwards, a reference to the plant people "Supox" in Star Control II.

supox.gif

Anyway I'm working on stuff like this right now:

The astute observer will notice at least four paintings infringing copyright. And I don't know why I bother. I mean it's fun to work on but at the end of the day it's spending time on something I almost certainly know shouldn't make it in the final game.

I haven't officially announced this, but I changed the name to Moon Magnate. It makes more sense within the context of the of the game, I think it sounds more appealing, and the wordplay is slightly better.

Also I spent a lot of time developing the world and history and language of the game. There's the main race of human/elven people (they have pointed ears but are otherwise human... think Jak & Daxter), and then a race of precursors who may or may not have dwelt on Earth in the past, but at least left a lot of evidence of their presence. And these relics have recently been rediscovered which is causing all sorts of magic shit and moon shenanigans to go on. The precursors have their own language with a couple thousand words in it so far, which I built a handy translator for:

MV7a94O.png

It's hard to say whether I'm making a lot of progress since very little of anything is coming together as a constructed part of the game. This almost might as well still be preproduction. But after I finish arting all of the tavern then I'll start programming again. Probably.

fuck yes! :D

This is a lot to unpack. The first question looming over me is why you would know arcane references to Star Control 2, a game I played when I was 10 and already forgot most of...

As far as infringing copyrights, you won't get a C&D from me for sure, (and hell yeah to the LB art, by the way) and it seems unlikely you'd get them from anyone else since it's just a painting on a wall. Heck, there's something in my game that looks nearly identical to a Metroid (as an easter egg).

I really like Moon Magnate and I'll take it as final validation to my original wordfeel concerns stated and I'll take it as additional validation because my game/studio have a Moon motif. :)

I have mixed feelings on the development of a language. I am immensely impressed by it but what is the value proposition? I guess that doesn't matter since you have no deadlines or time constraints, (and it's finished now anyway right?) but just be careful you don't get stuck spinning your wheels (advice I could have used many times and still could use -- in fact, feel free to yell at me any time).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have sex tonight.

JB shining up his fuck shoes. You bad motherfucker.

This is a lot to unpack. The first question looming over me is why you would know arcane references to Star Control 2, a game I played when I was 10 and already forgot most of...

As far as infringing copyrights, you won't get a C&D from me for sure, (and hell yeah to the LB art, by the way) and it seems unlikely you'd get them from anyone else since it's just a painting on a wall. Heck, there's something in my game that looks nearly identical to a Metroid (as an easter egg).

I really like Moon Magnate and I'll take it as final validation to my original wordfeel concerns stated and I'll take it as additional validation because my game/studio have a Moon motif. :)

I have mixed feelings on the development of a language. I am immensely impressed by it but what is the value proposition? I guess that doesn't matter since you have no deadlines or time constraints, (and it's finished now anyway right?) but just be careful you don't get stuck spinning your wheels (advice I could have used many times and still could use -- in fact, feel free to yell at me any time).

Thanks! :D

I know a fair bit more about classic games than I ought to. Although my first console was a PS1, there was a close family friend who installed an instance of MAME on our family computer with thousands and thousands of bootleg ROMs on it, as well as a classic 2P 6-button arcade board with a PC interface. So I grew up with virtually unlimited classic arcade games and three siblings and an enthusiastic dad to play against.

When he put MAME on our machine he also installed The Ur Quan Masters port of SC2 and a few other games. I hadn't played anything like it at the time, so I was completely engrossed. I also had to play through multiple times to get to the end because I was pretty naive and bad at video games then (which hasn't changed a whole lot tbh). To this day, only Mass Effect comes close to recreating that feeling, but I simultaneously have a lot less patience now so it's much harder for me to get into other RPGs, leaving the impact of the former all the greater.

Language development has been a fascination of mine ever since I first read Lord of the Rings and started learning Quenya. I'll be the first to admit it's a whole bunch of work and potentially very little payoff, but I'm having fun with it and it's more or less done now.

But you're right about spinning my wheels. That's part of what was happening when I put so many weapons in the game (which also essentially tripled in size when I realized I'd need to draw them from multiple distinct angles as well). I'm not really sure what the path is going forward, but I think I'm nearly out of the rut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom