• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Sure you don't just have mildew growing in your dashboard? That commonly causes bad smells from the evaporator runoff not...evaporating correctly.
I didn't say it was my AC. I've only had it on once to see if it worked properly. It's just something I've grown to dislike. Recycled air is poopoo. Give me the wind hitting my face even if its hot.

Sharks are playing well :D

Umm.. It may be hard for me to explain since I'm not a programmer, at least not like you guys are. The game is relatively simple/old fashioned in certain ways. Basically all the game data is kept in a giant table (a "data array", I guess?) with a bunch of items that start at 0 and are replaced with 1 as you do things in the game that need to be remembered. I also store coordinates for npcs or whatever else might need to be kept, too, but the majority of the items are just yes or no.

The even bigger clusterfuck is the scripting for npcs and dialog, which is an absolute dumpster fire. The npcs are mostly scripted manually and the dialog is managed by a custom extension someone helped me put in (stock stencyl has very limited ability to do anything like this). I go through a series of rituals to make the dialog extension and the rest of the game talk to eachother.

This makes me so happy, you have no idea.

I've got a script that's attached to the "Game Manager" component (it tracks the current Party/Available Party and the alive state of the party to induce a game over) that's literally a list of booleans to see if actions are done or certain dialogue choices are chosen to affect everything in the game and it's a fucking mess.

Don't even get me started on the nightmare that is Lua > C#.
I'm lucky that this is a proof of concept because the day that a programmer comes in and sifts through my code is the day I'll get this for days on end
1780549-shakehead.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
but but but....a/c isn't recycled air unless you have it on recirculate.
it's just cooled air. Never even touches chemicals unless there's a leak somewhere.

---

Programming is like art. There's so many different ways to do it. Love it.

I went back to my little iOS game to add some things and made the same head shaking motion to myself. All of my sprites are hard coded with pixel coordinates, and the entire game logic is within one or two methods. If it's installed on any other resolution it looks like complete garbage and breaks. Thankfully I found out that SpriteKit has a visual layout system similar to Unity so when I redo all of that I won't have to worry about accounting for multiple resolutions.

Jobbs

Banned

I've got a script that's attached to the "Game Manager" component (it tracks the current Party/Available Party and the alive state of the party to induce a game over) that's literally a list of booleans to see if actions are done or certain dialogue choices are chosen to affect everything in the game and it's a fucking mess.

Don't even get me started on the nightmare that is Lua > C#.
I'm lucky that this is a proof of concept because the day that a programmer comes in and sifts through my code is the day I'll get this for days on end
1780549-shakehead.gif

LOL. I love you.

One time I sent my game project to the main stencyl staffer I talk to (one of the curators of the engine) because I needed help and I'm pretty sure he did this

enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

Jobbs

Banned
Do you have an opening for disappointed fan? Maybe that's reserved for ClydeFrug.

www.iunderstoodthatreference.net/jobbs/main.html

there are several references to this thread or people in this thread in the game already. :O no disappointed fans though, and most of the references are so well buried that it's unlikely a person will find them unless they know exactly what to do

e.g., some of the easter eggs in the game involve standing in a specific location for a really long time -- something you'd never do naturally, or at least would be very unlikely to do naturally

jb1234

What do you think it will take for you to decide this?

Honestly even if it is a "you" thing, it's still probably something that could be helped by continuing to see guys and building confidence in yourself. You've got this! :)

I don't know. But I'm not stopping now. Now that I've experienced the sex, I want more. JOSH SMASH.

This is p art of it too. This is the first car I've had with working A/C. I've become accustomed to it.

Yeah, my current car (a '99 Mazda Protege) is the first that's had functioning AC. I feel spoiled by it.

That's more or less how I'll be doing it too. I don't even know if there is another way.

I don't know. But I'm not stopping now. Now that I've experienced the sex, I want more. JOSH SMASH.

Yay! :D

Granadier

This is p art of it too. This is the first car I've had with working A/C. I've become accustomed to it.

Anyway, what's up guys and gals? Lili what sandwich did you make?

Trying to work up the motivation to dive back into work. Also, I'm hungry as hell. My dad came to visit and we took a bike ride up to this great bar. Only had an appetizer and beer though so I'm starving.

I'm a fucking idiot who doesn't belong in this position at all, but people keep saying the game is good. It's an endless feeling of dissonance and occasional guilt.

It's working though, so what if it's a bit messy behind the scenes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is one of my favorite examples of hacky, messy game programming.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have PS+ again finally, yay

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Guys E3 is so soon, I get so excited for E3. Probably more than I do playing the games themselves

Granadier

Yo that sounds great. That's basically all I do when I visit family in Portland, if I'm not babysitting.

It was fantastic. Perfect weather and a surprisingly tasty apricot hefeweizen.

Fundamentally, thread on NeoGAF.com + women = utter shitshow

It's tragic.

This also applies to weight lifting / exercise based on the thread in OT about squatting.

FUME5

I know right.

I got field marshall edition because I'm a sucker and was going to buy the first 2 dlc expansions day 1 anyway.

A mere 90 usd, lol.

You're not going to fight for King and Country? Unbelievable.

AML-logo.jpg

Are you a card carrying member?

I'm so out of the loop I don't even know what the next big thing is. What has you excited?

There's Overwatch and Total Warhammer next Tuesday, after that the first game that springs to mind is No Mans Sky. Not quite sure of release dates after that, and can't really think of anything that will be showing at E3.

zeemumu

Alright So if anyone has a copy of the Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition on Steam that they aren't using, I'll trade for Saints Row The Third: The Full Package and Dead Island GOTY Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom