• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

tumblr_o7ldje4R0u1rwt5lho4_250.gif

Pau

One exam down. (Which was harder than I expected. I also forgot my calculator.) Three more to go.

Don't have enough lucky Batman underwear for this.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Which version are you getting?
I want the regular edition tbh. I dont need the extras.

Love both, but I'm more fond of the original Dragon Ball!

I loved DBZ but then rewatched a few years ago and lost all the love I had for it. Then again I could see the edited one that apparently fixes the pace issue to see if that helps it.

Jobbs

Banned
I am convinced there's a demon living in this code and I am not smart enough to fix it. Basically things are being called that absolutely have no reason to be called. There's no rational reason. When stuff like this happens I start to feel like the project is haunted and it rattles my entire faith in everything

Nothing in this world makes me super anxious then children

I love my niece and nephew, but I cannot be around them for more then 1 or 2 hours.

The sounds of children screaming for no good reason causes me so much anxiety

and the kids are out for the summer and they're at my neighbor's house

Among the many reasons I hate summer.

I should get vasectomy.

zeemumu

I am convinced there's a demon living in this code and I am not smart enough to fix it. Basically things are being called that absolutely have no reason to be called. There's no rational reason. When stuff like this happens I start to feel like the project is haunted and it rattles my entire faith in everything

I know that feel. I was coding two different heap builds in two different methods and one somehow changed itself to the one that I was building.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nothing in this world makes me super anxious then children

I love my niece and nephew, but I cannot be around them for more then 1 or 2 hours.

The sounds of children screaming for no good reason causes me so much anxiety

and the kids are out for the summer and they're at my neighbor's house

Among the many reasons I hate summer.

I should get vasectomy.

I don't get why kids like me when I really dont like dealing with them. It's pretty annoying but I don't like to be seen like an asshole for not interacting. At least when Im at home and I know kids are coming I just lock the door of my room and put on my headphones and continue my happy day.

Jobbs

Banned
I know that feel. I was coding two different heap builds in two different methods and one somehow changed itself to the one that I was building.

It's also happening in something that's always been fine for many months and I have no clue why.

To boil it down real simply, there's code being called to reset dialog (which spawns the interaction symbol and sets the switches to let you interact) and it is being called specifically by things that are not calling it. I've isolated the exact frame that it's happening and it's happening without a cause.

Usually I can pretty quickly find my human error, but in cases like this it feels like it's haunted and it only happens very rarely, but when it does it rattles my entire faith in everything and just makes a pit form in my stomach

Jobbs

Banned
Make friends with the code demon and use its powers for good.

what I'm doing now is fucking ridiculous and it's just making me shake my head, but I'm just trying to set up work arounds that hopefully won't allow this thing to happen that shouldn't be happening in the first place

basically imagine you observed that when you turn on your cell phone, a cow appears in your yard. So you build a fence where the cow is going to appear. You still don't know why the cow appears when you pick up the damn phone, but you just want to use your phone in peace all the same That's what I'm doing right now. I'm building the phone cow fence

QT1qQM0.gif

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Oh god, I'm diving back into the Souls games even though I hate them because my neice wants to play.

On the plus side, she is having me teach her electronics :D She was mega impressed when I showed her my journeyman certs and BSEE.

zeemumu

what I'm doing now is fucking ridiculous and it's just making me shake my head, but I'm just trying to set up work arounds that hopefully won't allow this thing to happen that shouldn't be happening in the first place

basically imagine you observed that when you turn on your cell phone, a cow appears in your yard. So you build a fence where the cow is going to appear. You still don't know why the cow appears when you pick up the damn phone, but you just want to use your phone in peace all the same That's what I'm doing right now. I'm building the phone cow fence

QT1qQM0.gif

Do you know which methods are running when it's happening? Shut them off one at a time and see what happens. To fix mine I reverted the code back to its last working state.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

QT1qQM0.gif

If you don't name your duct taped methods and variables in reference to the phone cow fence I will be very disappointed.

Do you know which methods are running when it's happening? Shut them off one at a time and see what happens. To fix mine I reverted the code back to its last working state.

git.png

No joke, I did this four or five times last night while trying to manage 100+ merge conflicts after midnight.

zeemumu

The first and only time I used Github was to submit code for the character controller for this game. By the time I did it, I saw that someone else had submitted code, so I just told the project manager to take what he needed from my pull request and scrap the rest.

I actually haven't submitted anything to that project since then...I should get in contact with the enemy AI people

Granadier

The first and only time I used Github was to submit code for the character controller for this game. By the time I did it, I saw that someone else had submitted code, so I just told the project manager to take what he needed from my pull request and scrap the rest.

I actually haven't submitted anything to that project since then...I should get in contact with the enemy AI people

In reality I'm just being melodramatic. Git and GitHub are invaluable tools for me along with Slack. In this instance though I was working on a feature branch that was independent for a little over a week while the main dev branch had advanced by ~60 commits.

Misha

Banned
I just use dropbox since I do everything by myself and just need it to go from one computer to the next. (or just on desktop when at work)

Jobbs

Banned
I can program my microwave.

You've used that microwave for 2 years. You know it inside and out. You are comfortable with it.

Imagine one day, you noticed that every time you turned on the microwave, the tv turned on too.

That is equivalent to what I'm experiencing right now

Misha

Banned
You've used that microwave for 2 years. You know it inside and out. You are comfortable with it.

Imagine one day, you noticed that every time you turned on the microwave, the tv turned on too.

my microwave kills wifi sometimes

FUME5

Infuriating. Closest analogue I have is my report formatting shitting the bed for no observable reason.

I mean, there's a lot of shit that goes on with field results that's baffling, but that's environmental science. Funky shit goes on underground.

Jobbs

Banned
I think my workaround is holding. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why do I have a feeling this'll come back to hurt me later somehow, probably long enough in the future that I forgot about all of this

Remind me never again to program anything

Granadier

I think my workaround is holding. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Why do I have a feeling this'll come back to hurt me later somehow, probably long enough in the future that I forgot about all of this

Remind me never again to program anything

You could always add an Easter egg of a cow inside a fence that would only show up if that error happens.

Granadier

This makes no sense. The fence means the error wouldn't have happened. If the fence fails then it would just be a cow running wild.

Oh shit, now you have wild cows running around in your game. What are you going to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom