• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 6: Fear the Walking Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

I've only played a couple character action games. DmC and Lords of Shadow.

These games get a ton of hate but I enjoyed both 🤷 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nah, Dynasty Warriors is more shallow, at least there's exploration and puzzles in GOW games.

When the puzzles are easy as fuck you might as well keep them away. Just cause you put lipstick on a pig it won't change what it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've only played a couple character action games. DmC and Lords of Shadow.

These games get a ton of hate but I enjoyed both �� ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I liked DmC and Lords of Shadows. LoS2 shat the bed with the stealth sections and the modern world but the combat was a huge improvement over the first. DmC Definitive Edition is great.

Jobbs

Banned
God Of War

• Incredibly shallow, vapid, vacuous, dumbass gameplay. Annoying pointless QTE break up the "action". Stretchy swords are unsatisfying and stupid.
  • Terrible, unlikeable, obnoxious angry bald hero
  • Uninteresting, uncool, unrelatable, uncompelling story/setting
  • Misogyny
I'm not saying every video game protagonist needs to be a choir boy, but if someone is just a raging, obnoxious asshole that I actively hate and there's nothing relatable, redeeming or even interesting about him then I consider that highly problematic. For example, Joel in TLOU is not a terrific guy, but he has layers to him and we can relate to some of his actions. We can understand him. He's interesting, even though he's not exactly a noble virtuous hero.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
God Of War

• Incredibly shallow, vapid, vacuous, dumbass gameplay. Annoying pointless QTE break up the "action". Stretchy swords are unsatisfying and stupid.
  • Misogyny
I'm not saying every video game protagonist needs to be a choir boy, but if someone is just a raging, obnoxious asshole that I actively hate and there's nothing relatable, redeeming or even interesting about him then I consider that highly problematic. For example, Joel in TLOU is not a terrific guy, but he has layers to him and we can relate to some of his actions. We can understand him. He's interesting, even though he's not exactly a noble virtuous hero.
Huge lels at the bolded.

You are better than that, Jobby.

As for the rest, I don't mind Kratos being a huge douchebag. It fits the setting. I mean, the better part of Greek Mythology is about Zeus being a serial rapist.

Jobbs

Banned
Huge lels at the bolded.

You are better than that, Jobby.

As for the rest, I don't mind Kratos being a huge douchebag. It fits the setting. I mean, the better part of Greek Mythology is about Zeus being a serial rapist.

Perhaps I made the mistake of playing Ninja Gaiden games in a similar time period, which actually have depthful gameplay and meaningful challenge.

If you think God of War has deep gameplay then a lot of questions form in my mind about you

Again, protagonists don't have to be "good guys" for me to like them, but if I hate my character so much that I can't stand having them on screen then it does pose a problem for me

zeemumu

God Of War

• Misogyny

Joel and Kratos aren't really good comparisons. Kratos is closer to Bayonetta than he is Joel. Kratos killed his family and then doomed the world.
Joel only did one of those things.

FUME5

LTTP:

Work desktop

Desktop.png

Phone is a live wallpaper (pic is from the Play Store)

Yo.

Timu

When the puzzles are easy as fuck you might as well keep them away. Just cause you put lipstick on a pig it won't change what it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Fair enough!!! There are quite a bit of hack n slashes better than GOW as well! Like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, etc.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Perhaps I made the mistake of playing Ninja Gaiden games in a similar time period, which actually have depthful gameplay and meaningful challenge.

If you think God of War has deep gameplay then a lot of questions form in my mind about you

Again, protagonists don't have to be "good guys" for me to like them, but if I hate my character so much that I can't stand having them on screen then it does pose a problem for me

GoW is as shallow as it gets, but I find it satisfying in the same way I a soggy kebab comforts me after a night out. While overly simple, it has a certain quality to it and it's very, very balanced.

It also looks very purdy, the lore is better than it has any right to be and the scale is incredible without feeling cartoony. As a matter of fact, I find great irony in Kratos being so damn forgettable and uninspired considering how great most of the art is.

PS: I too was a huge Ninja Gaiden whore, but I can enjoy both. And now that you reminded me of it, it saddens me that we'll probably never get a proper sequel.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Fair enough!!! There are quite a bit of hack n slashes better than GOW as well! Like DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, etc.

What frustrates me about God of War is that they have great visuals and set pieces that could be used on something better. Usually when I shit on a game too hard is mostly because I think it could be more than what it is usually.

Jobbs

Banned
Those were exactly my feelings after putting my last dog down, but fuck that, yes they'll die before you but you can give them a great life and they're fucking awesome.

I had a chocolate lab named Charlie from 2000 to 2011. I was home and about to leave for college when my mom got him. He was a puppy. I remember when I first saw him I picked him up and put him on my lap and he just laid there breathing so fast I wondered if something was wrong with him.

When he was old his health deteriorated over the last year and he really became a mess. It was traumatizing for me. I don't know for sure if I can do the dog thing again.

FUME5

I had a chocolate lab named Charlie from 2000 to 2011. I was home and about to leave for college when my mom got him. He was a puppy. I remember when I first saw him I picked him up and put him on my lap and he just laid there breathing so fast I wondered if something was wrong with him.

When he was old his health deteriorated over the last year and he really became a mess. It was traumatizing for me. I don't know for sure if I can do the dog thing again.

It's going to gut me when Lola's time comes, but I'll be getting another dog when she does. Loss is a part of life.

Jobbs

Banned
Anyway.. I'll go along with Trab on the Tom Hardy train. I think he's one of the great actors of our time and he completely outshone Leo in The Revenant (which I've now seen three times..)

My dudes are Tom Hardy and Jake Gylennhaulkjhffkjhgf

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
why is tom hardy so perfect?
tom-hardy-shirtless-for-details-fb.jpg

Tribal tattoo on the shoulder. 2/10 would not bang.

Went through the same with my cat. He was with me for 18 years. Heart breaking to see him go.

So do I but he hasn't done much after getting his Masters in Biochemical Engineering

What did humans do deserve God's Undeserved Gift To Mankind* known as golden retrievers?

*Black/Chocolate Labrador are also known as that as well as Freddie Mercury, David Bowie and Leonard Nimoy among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom